It's not UMA. UMA requires some hardware. The 9900 will have a software enabled version of UMA, which like he said earlier isn't as good as the real UMA. Therefore, the situation here in comparison to the 9700 is completely different.
    Maybe you can help point me to the chipset requirement for UMA? I'm just using a teardown list from isuppli on the 9800 (Which does UMA just as well as any other Blackberry on T-Mo's network): BlackBerry Torch Carries $171.05 Bill of Materials, iSuppli Teardown Reveals - Teardowns at iSuppli

None of the RF chips listed have any reference to UMA functionality listed and I can't find reference to this magical chip / chipset that enables a device to do UMA.

As far as I know UMA has always been a software enabled feature, there isn't anything that you need specifically with the chipset in the device to support it. Also, why would the 9900 offer an experience more like an Android handset rather than the same experience the previous dozen or so Blackberries that have supported UMA?

Still pretty sure that when UMA does become available with an OS update it will function and feel exactly the same as it has on the previous handsets including hand-off capability. But we'll all know the answer to that soon enough.
    08-28-11 12:54 PM
    Ok, so today I went to a Sprint store (I live in Puerto Rico), and they did not have ANY of the new BBs there. The rep told me that it would likely be a week or two before they arrive. They did have a Playbook and older BBs.

Why do I mention Sprint in a TMo thread? Because they announce it as $199 for new customers. My contract is due in October. I'd hate to leave TMo, but I still am trying to see into 2012 where our $$$ will be AT&T's. I'd hate it if it happens, but I don't like AT&T.

And another thing, they obviously tried to lure me to an Android phone. The Moto Photon specifically. It seems to be a great Android device for $200 also. I'd go for it if I were looking for an Android device.

So, TMo won't be seeing me paying $350, $350, or even maybe $250 for the 9900. They simply have no credible excuse to price it that high, not even their pseudo-4G hype.

In my case, I'll get it when the price gets near $200, or I'll wait for the QNX devices whenever they arrive in 2012.

*crossing fingers for a 8/31 selling $200 price*
    Saludos!!!

This happened to me at a local Tmo store, about a week ago, I went there to check prices and avaliability of the 9900 and the rep literally didnt know what I was talking about or was an Oscar winning performer, when I pulled my old 8520 to show her a picture she said "wow I havent seen one of those in a while". My BB's already missing buttons and everything, I reallty dont want to leave tmo since I've been trouble free with them during my whole contract period, and I dont want to get to the android thing, I'm checking but it seems that the unlocked 9810 cant be an option either for me because it's not fully compatible with tmo's 4G thing soo I'm basically hoping that the price will be closer to us mortal earthlings, specially since I'll be buying 2
    08-28-11 02:23 PM
    Maybe you can help point me to the chipset requirement for UMA? I'm just using a teardown list from isuppli on the 9800 (Which does UMA just as well as any other Blackberry on T-Mo's network): BlackBerry Torch Carries $171.05 Bill of Materials, iSuppli Teardown Reveals - Teardowns at iSuppli

None of the RF chips listed have any reference to UMA functionality listed and I can't find reference to this magical chip / chipset that enables a device to do UMA.

As far as I know UMA has always been a software enabled feature, there isn't anything that you need specifically with the chipset in the device to support it. Also, why would the 9900 offer an experience more like an Android handset rather than the same experience the previous dozen or so Blackberries that have supported UMA?

Still pretty sure that when UMA does become available with an OS update it will function and feel exactly the same as it has on the previous handsets including hand-off capability. But we'll all know the answer to that soon enough.

The reason why I believe it is hardware based is that we have seen the service books for UMA work on the 9800, but not for other GSM BB's (like the 9550). Correct me if I am wrong.

For the 9900, it was rumored for a long time that they won't put UMA in it, as well as the other OS7 devices, since the providers are starting to phase it out, as well as the fact that UMA-Lite is more cost-effective.
    08-28-11 02:35 PM
    I just called tmobile they still don't know prices

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Omar20v likes this.
    08-28-11 02:44 PM
    I have to say, this thread has gone from excitement to getting the new bold, to complete bashing T-Mobile and as BeyondTheBox put it "It will be overpriced and outdated upon release... in other words, a classic RIM product"

Well guess what? That's the beautiful thing about having a choice. You can get an android, or a blackberry, or iPhone. Nobody is holding a gun to your head to get a blackberry. As a matter of fact, in case you are lost, you are on Crackberry.com, which is a BLACKBERRY forum.

To be clear, I have owned every blackberry since the 8800. Yes blackberry is seemingly just starting the race, when other hardware manufacturers are just about crossing the finish line, HOWEVER, the Blackberry is a HECK OF A GOOD DEVICE!! I got sick and tired of the touchscreen input only. It is nice at first, and the size of most of the androids screen's are awesome, but nothing beats having a solid qwerty keyboard like a blackberry keyboard. All the apps that android and apple have are great, but half of them are useless to me.

At the end of the day, the Bold 9900 will be an amazing device, with an amazing keyboard, and the luxury of a touchscreen also. Nobody actually knows 100% what the pricing will be, and anything up to now is purely speculation.
    Nels likes this.
    08-28-11 02:47 PM
    Manager at my local store said they now will not know the price information until Tuesday night at close of business.
    08-28-11 04:04 PM
    They're saying that UMA will be enabled in a future update which I think is a pretty likely scenario. They probably just had some bugs with the handoff and such with the newer radios. When the 9700 launched on Rogers I think it was without UMA as well, and then a new OS came along that enabled it: http://forums.crackberry.com/rogers-...rs-now-506653/

The real question is, how long are we talking? Before thanksgiving hopefully?

Actually the TMO 9700 was launched with UMA. The handover was buggy from UMA to 3G and would constantly drop. A software update resolved this.

08-28-11 05:13 PM
    Actually the TMO 9700 was launched with UMA. The handover was buggy from UMA to 3G and would constantly drop. A software update resolved this.

Yup, the T-Mobile 9700 had it from the start, but the Rogers devices did not, a software update brought them UMA capability. This was most likely a certificate issue and not just raw support, but the whole "UMA after launch" thing has been done before with BBs.

What it boils down to is that you need a relatively modern wifi chipset in the phone to be able to support UMA, and that's it from a hardware perspective. UMA has always been a software based solution beyond having a wifi chipset that can deal with the hand off. And I can't imagine that the wifi radio in the 9900 has taken such a step back so that it no longer supports a few simple programming calls to make the hand off. Android devices don't have a very seamless UMA implementation because it was never made with UMA in mind and would require some pretty drastic kernel changes to achieve the same level of integration other devices have.

UMA is basically just an IPSec tunnel back to the carrier's GAN, it seems like it should be more complicated, but it's not. The hand over from the radio is the tricky part, and that's the portion Android has issues with. The OS is open source and easily modified, but the binary files for the radio are all pre-compiled and not something that's easily tweaked. With only one carrier supporting UMA in the US and other countries not having wide scale deployment of it, it's just not a priority.

Also, the 9550 never got it as that was never a true GSM device, it was a primarily a CDMA device with GSM abilities for roaming. CDMA Blackberries have completely different radio stacks then the GSM only models and it would have required some work for RIM. And that extra work would only benefit an extremely small set of users, ones who brought a CDMA device over to their GSM carrier.

Sorry to beat the topic up too much, but I want to make sure those that are unsure of what UMA will look like on the 9900, that it will be the same experience you've got on your current UMA enabled BB.

On topic, I spent some time at the T-Mobile store and got to play with the device and they put one aside with my name on it for Wed AM. I loaded up the need for speed demo for them and had a chance to talk to an employee who wasn't a fan of BBs. I asked him what he could do on an Android device that you can't do on a BB, the best answer he came up with was netflix. He was surprised at NFS and said maybe the platform will show some promise.
    Last edited by HaTaX; 08-28-11 at 05:38 PM.
    redk likes this.
    08-28-11 05:36 PM
    So many people seem to misunderstand how UMA works. I would expect that with the software re-write of the low level radio software, there must have been more complexity to deal with the handoff issues between wifi and EDGE, 3G and HPSA+.

I can't believe RIM is giving up on UMA since that is one of the only features that NO OTHER iDevice nor Android device supports (except for the less powerful wifi calling feature in recent android updates).

Let's hope they get the new UMA implementation right (i.e., better than what we have on the 9700).
    08-28-11 07:34 PM
    Sorry to beat the topic up too much, but I want to make sure those that are unsure of what UMA will look like on the 9900, that it will be the same experience you've got on your current UMA enabled BB.
    I think that the real issue is that there is a lot of opinions out there about the implementation of wifi calling, but none of it has been, or can be, proven until RIM and T-Mo release the software update. Specifically, the questions that remain are:

1) Will some form of wifi calling be enabled for sure?

2) If so, when can we expect it?

3) Will it be UMA as its been in previous BlackBerries, or will it be some sort of GAN-Lite version?

For me, and I believe for many others, the answers to these questions will determine whether I do or do not purchase the 9900, regardless of the price. I, for one, would be first in line on Wednesday morning if I knew for sure that the answer to Question 1 is "YES" and the answer to Question 2 is "within the next 2 months". I believe that it is short sighted on both RIM and T-Mo's parts to not release some official answer to these quesitons, as they are keeping many potential customers from stepping up and purchasing this device
    Last edited by sjsplaty; 08-28-11 at 09:38 PM.
    HaTaX likes this.
    08-28-11 09:32 PM
    Wouldn't it be magical if UMA was already present in one of the new leaks just as the Verizon NFC was. All this FUD would be moot, if it isn't already.
    08-28-11 09:57 PM
    Went into my local Tmobile store today, they had the phone in stock but wont sell until the 31st. Price is $300 but he would not confirm if its after or before rebate. They wont be stocking to many as they know already that the demand wont be to high because of the price and because they are pushing the android phones more.
    08-28-11 10:53 PM
    who cares about UMA??? i rather know if the phone is gonna cost 300$ +++ than about that UMA or HOTSPOT crap!!!
    08-29-11 12:10 AM
    who cares about UMA??? i rather know if the phone is gonna cost 300$ +++ than about that UMA or HOTSPOT crap!!!
    A LOT of us care about UMA. In fact, it is the primary reason I stay with T-Mobile. I travel internationally exclusively, and UMA enables me to stay in touch with my office and my family at NO CHARGE. I carried an ATT phone on one of my trips, and my bill exploded to close to 7 times what I normally pay. $300 for a phone vs $200 for a phone isn't a big deal to me. $100/month vs $700/mnth is a big deal.

Also, reception isn't great inside my home, so UMA allows me to stay connected there as well. Major "care" for me.
    BBxpress likes this.
    08-29-11 08:19 AM
    A LOT of us care about UMA. In fact, it is the primary reason I stay with T-Mobile. I travel internationally exclusively, and UMA enables me to stay in touch with my office and my family at NO CHARGE. I carried an ATT phone on one of my trips, and my bill exploded to close to 7 times what I normally pay. $300 for a phone vs $200 for a phone isn't a big deal to me. $100/month vs $700/mnth is a big deal.

Also, reception isn't great inside my home, so UMA allows me to stay connected there as well. Major "care" for me.
    I also travel a lot so I depend on UMA. On my last trip to Spain and Portugal I had two 1-hour conference calls, total cost...zero.
    BBxpress likes this.
    08-29-11 08:54 AM
    Just because you don't need UMA does't mean everyone else won't.

I rely on on UMA because like most of us, at our work or home doesn't have much signal reception. So, UMA is a must have for me.
    08-29-11 10:31 AM
    I just made a few calls to all of my local T-Mobile stores today and most of them said they are sure its going to be $300 after the $50 mail in rebate with the two year contract. One girl just said that she think it will be around the price of the sensation which is about $199..

As far as that goes, someone told me I can get the pricing tomorrow since it will be a day before the release.

I think it's really going to be $300 after the $50 mail in rebate.. So, it will be about $350 up front before taxes..
    08-29-11 10:47 AM
    Walmart.com has the 9900 for Tmobile listed at $194.99 for a new 2yr plan so hopefully thats a little bit of insight as to what the phone will cost....AND its available to ship today
    Last edited by always3rd; 08-29-11 at 11:16 AM.
    08-29-11 11:02 AM

Do you use other language beside English? I wonder if there's a way to install a particular language pack other than English onto the 9900.
    08-29-11 12:22 PM
    I went into a T-Mobile store today to play with it again.

The rep said it will not have UMA.. but has wifi calling. So, if you are connected to wifi in the home and you were to leave the area, it will drop your call.

Isn't that UMA?

Anyways, he couldn't find the price and said he should tomorrow.
    08-29-11 01:02 PM

The rep said it will not have UMA.. but has wifi calling. So, if you are connected to wifi in the home and you were to leave the area, it will drop your call.

Isn't that UMA?

That'd be good enough for me. As long as I can make calls, email and text through WiFi I'd be satisfied.
    08-29-11 01:08 PM
    So basically the only remaining "sad" part seems to be the price tag.
    08-29-11 01:14 PM
    That still remains to be seen...the Walmart preorder price has my hopes up!
    08-29-11 01:28 PM
    That'd be good enough for me. As long as I can make calls, email and text through WiFi I'd be satisfied.
    Agreed!

Pretty much, but I should find that out tomorrow.
    08-29-11 01:44 PM

Isn't that UMA?

I've had the phone for a week. There is no wifi calling.
    08-29-11 01:45 PM
509 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD