I noticed mine drops quite fast to 90%...then a little while longer to 85% and then it slows down quite well after that. I BBM and Whatsapp alot - usually multiparty conversations for very long periods of time, perhaps 10-15 minutes of calls total per day on my cell.

Yesterday, I was fully charged at 6PM and went to bed at 4AM (long night) with about 35% or so left? This was on the stock .261 and 2G. Granted, everything else was selected to improve battery life (backlight, wifi off, location services off etc). To be honest, first few days of the battery was horrible. But as I charged more frequently, the battery did seem to last a wee bit longer and somewhat plateau in draining rate to a more gradual and slower rate. However, it was still my fastest draining device so I wasn't going to really settle.

Today, I updated to .439 and was BBM-ing for a good LONG time, sending pictures back and forth and the level only dropped 5% from where I was initially! Very happy about this.
    10-16-11 10:08 AM
    ok, listen, I dont know what to do :S First can you tell me how to check your software on device? Then can you link me a proper place from where i can download it? And can you also link me a proper guide on how to do it?

I am sorry if I am asking for too much but I am really new to all of this..

Thank you!!
    Menu---->Options----->Device---->About Device Versions:
    Should say 7.0 Bundle 1950 (v7.0.0.440...or .296 depending on your version).

How to load new software:
    How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) | CrackBerry.com

.440 d/l link:
    MEGAUPLOAD - Blackberry 9900 .440 link

Forum discussion:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/leaked-...9900-a-657896/
    10-16-11 04:26 PM
    hmm I am still running .296 as most of the time I get good performance with it.

With 3G it's about 5% -> terrible for just doing "nothing" with the device.

For me I can handle it to change only to 3G if I need it.
    Seriously, you need to change over to .440.

Why have a 3G phone and not use it? The software has helped so much. I am getting my 9700 love for my 9900 all over again. Battery so much better. I can prob go 36 hrs until dead with moderate use etc (see prev posts for clarification of 'moderate!).
    10-16-11 04:30 PM
    The bottom line with this phone is that the battery is just not very good. It seems that everyone wants to make excuses like "you must be in a poor service area, or you are using it too much." I can say from experience that this is the worst BB in terms of battery life that I have owned in all my years of owning blackberry's, dating back to the 8300 series. RIM obviously screwed it up, and the only saving grace is either carry a spare or buy an extended battery (if Sedio ever comes out with one).
    Just try the .440. It has changed the battery capabilities so much. How can some people be ok, and some not with the 9900?

It seems to me that (with limited or no network programming knowledge) it is possible the different carriers around the globe use different ways to communicate the 3G signal to the handset. If users are claiming that switching off the 3G extends battery life, then surely there is a software issue in the 3G communication element?

I have 3G on, wifi on, and i'm travelling all over the place, and the difference is phenomenal. Before you get all worked up about the battery capabilities, just give it a shot (though you might need to wait for the 9930 version )
    10-16-11 04:34 PM
    I see about 2%/hour with wifi and BT on with 2G/EDGE. I came off charge at 7:30 am and its now 8:30 PM and I am at 75%. A few short calls, some browser use, BBM and email etc.

When I run 3G with good signal on auto I seem to lose about 4-5% per hour. Major Difference.
    10-16-11 07:43 PM
    Seriously, you need to change over to .440.

Why have a 3G phone and not use it? The software has helped so much. I am getting my 9700 love for my 9900 all over again. Battery so much better. I can prob go 36 hrs until dead with moderate use etc (see prev posts for clarification of 'moderate!).
    Totally agree with you. Mine was doing well on 261. But now with 440-- 9700-style happy days are back again!! LOL.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-16-11 09:26 PM
    About a month ago i got the new 9930 from verizon here in the united states, and i had the same problem.... i looked around on the forums, and found out that you need to completely deactivate social feeds (go to social feeds>options>integrated apps> DESELECT ALL). also set your Facebook and twitter to only refresh posts either once an hour, or only when you ask it to. also, dim your screen to level 10. My 9930 lasts all day, and i'm a very heavy user.

hope this helps
    10-16-11 09:40 PM
    ok, guys. I took my phone off charge at 5.50 am when the alarm went off. After checking a few emails etc set off to work. I had a serious machine breakdown which kept me at work until around 8.30 pm with a lot of heavy use calling in services etc...With the normal day to day inbetween times.

Phone had around 20% at home after sending some mail updates, had some overnight updates on the phone this morning and battery at 10% before putting it on charge. I was concerned that the phone would drop out, but didn't. Feeling a little better about the phone, after as much use as I could expect to give the phone over a day......
    10-19-11 02:21 AM
    Mine 2 weeks ... It last till afternoon and that's it.. I got new BB9900 coming 30th ... This one freezes all the time and slow loading ... Batt life crap
    10-19-11 06:13 AM
    It's beyond belief that RIM would produce a powerful smartphone with a low capacity battery. Look at every other manufacturer - Motorola, HTC, Apple & Samsung are all using larger capacity batteries to cope with the extra processing power. RIM is the only company to down size their battery capacity. The 9900 is turning into an "emperor's new clothes" situation - everyone convincing themselves that it's a great phone. I remain totally unconvinced and can see that the emperor is not wearing his clothes!
    10-19-11 08:37 AM
    It's beyond belief that RIM would produce a powerful smartphone with a low capacity battery. Look at every other manufacturer - Motorola, HTC, Apple & Samsung are all using larger capacity batteries to cope with the extra processing power. RIM is the only company to down size their battery capacity. The 9900 is turning into an "emperor's new clothes" situation - everyone convincing themselves that it's a great phone. I remain totally unconvinced and can see that the emperor is not wearing his clothes!
    Perfectly said!

10-19-11 09:52 AM
    Does the new update figured out battery problem?
    11-10-11 06:44 PM
    Is there an app that measures battery by application? So we can figure out what to shutoff so we can conserve the battery?
    11-10-11 07:19 PM
    I would install "Battery Watch 1.9.10" on your phone. I've found it very helpful in finding out what was impacting me. My office has very poor coverage 1-2 bars where I sit, this causes an accelerated drain on my battery. At home I get 5 bars. At home I can go 7am to 10pm, regular usage, couple of phone calls and about 80 e-mails (send and receive), play some games, BBM, etc. and I have 50-60% of my batter left at end of day. At work that's I'm left between 15-20%. The battery watch app tells you if programs in the background are sucking power from the battery as well - which I've also left running on occasion. Overall, the battery is not as good as past BBs, but phone is far Superior - good trade off for me, I only need 1 charge per day at present.
    11-10-11 07:50 PM
    How can the introduce a new Blackberry w worse battery life?

I don't believe a company can be so inept intentionally.

Technology, and business, is about incremental improvements over time. It is inconceivabe that a high tech ompny would introduce a new product that has inferior performance any material dimension -- and, yes, battery life is a material dimension.

The manufacturer knows how to measure every element before product release.
    AxKxB likes this.
    11-17-11 11:31 PM
    Battery life is fine for me, can go 1-2 days without charging, its defo better than the iPhone 4S that beast guzzles the battery.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-17-11 11:47 PM
    This post is from early November. More recent OSs (like 503) have literally doubled batt time for some users-- me being one of them. As I said in another thread-- I couldn't run down the batt in a day of use on 503, even if I was trying to.

11-18-11 05:39 AM
    @ tedzone, gimme, I can run it out 3 times in a day, even on my 990 running 540
    True that the latest OS does improve battery life , but still way below 9700 battery life.
    For me 9700 battery life is just nice for 1 day.

11-18-11 07:17 AM
    The problem is not the battery, I am on my third bold 9900 because the other phones brick itself in the night and all 3 have the same issue.

The battery needs to constantly charged because it drains too fast.

Some users are reporting better battery life after updating the OS.

We hope tha RIM releases a new version that stops the 9900 to brick itself in the night and also have a better batterry usage.
    11-18-11 09:34 AM
    Why on earth would RIM make a more powerful phone and put a smaller less powerful battery in it????
    It's probably related to the main chip. It most likely has improved power saving functions over previous chips. Like lower power consumption in rest state and different operating frequencies depending on cpu load.
    11-18-11 09:46 AM
    Well I am quite pleased with release .503. Its well nigh on 24 hours since I charged my phone and I'm at 45%. True, I haven't used it as much as I do other days, but that includes slightly below average email and messaging, no GPS, 20+ minutes of WiFi and browsing and also Vibe notifications on everything, a couple of app installs, and perhaps 10 minutes of talk time. I have average 4 bars of coverage. As far as 3rd party apps, I'm not sure how much juice these use but they are BeBuzz, Clock King, and Pattern Lock.

I do work at an office so its not a big deal to charge my phone while working, but I think its completely uncalled for to have a phone incapable of lasting all day and more, with moderate business use. Blackberry has always been good to me in this wise.
    Last edited by galleon; 11-18-11 at 10:35 AM.
    11-18-11 10:32 AM
    I only get barely a day based at home with wifi and a 3g amplifier. However, I notice that it varies day-to-day. Some days it is dreadful and I suspect the backlight isn't turning off (battery pull required to reset this).

I'm also UK vodafone, and have just upgraded to .540

There is little doubt this is much worse than my 9780 (that would end the day round 50%)
    11-18-11 10:42 AM
    I have uk vodaphone initially on 296 also. Upgrading to OS 474 dramatically improved performance.
    Battery now easily lasts a full day even with some satnav usage.
    I would also suggest try for a day just using native apps, see if that gives big improvement
    And if you have fbook and twitter refreshing every 5 mins you will have problems anyway

11-18-11 11:26 AM
    I've had great battery life up until this week. This week for whatever reason when I take the phone off my charging pod at 7am by 2:30pm its giving the battery dead beep. I'm not using it any more than normal if anything I'm making a considerable effort to use it less since i noticed this Wednesday.
    When opening the application switcher i see a small square saying "startup" and if i click it to close it my phone freezes.

Has anyone see that?
    11-19-11 10:18 AM
    Just got the new bold 9900 ... installed leaked OS 7.1
    After the first charge (roughly 6 hours)
    At some moments with very light browsing it discharged 10% in less than 10 minutes. With 3g standby and almost no activity (10 minute phone call) it went form 40% to 9% in less than 90 minutes. I will give it another 1-2 days and see how it behaves, then downgrade to carrier 7.0.579 or maybe try 440 because many people say they get great battery life out of that version.

Anyway, I was expecting DISASTER but NOT This disaster. All settings tuned down, 10% brightnes, 10 seconds timeoff fpr the backlight.

8 AM: 70%
    couple of short phone calls, 5 minute browsing, 3G standby, no BBM, no aps running besides the system ones.
    12 NOON: 50%
    couple of short phone calls, some wifi browsing, 2G standby
    5 PM: 25%
    one ten-minute phone call, 5-6 minute if browsing, no BBM, no aps running besides the system ones.
    6.30 PM: 7% -->> BAAD! I went down 10% in just 5-6 minute browsing time on 3G.

This is on Orange Dominicana.

Gave it 6 hour charge, put in Meterberry and left it on 3G standby for the night, wifi, bluetooth all off, all aps off.
    we'll see...
    Last edited by rubiohiguey; 03-01-12 at 11:20 PM.
    03-01-12 11:16 PM
77 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD