Executive Summary: iPhone is good and so is Blackberry. Bold 9900 is best for me and is better than you think.

I have just switched from iPhone to Blackberry and am very happy. I was hesitant because of the many negative posts, so I thought I'd add my 2 cents regarding my positive experience.

I first picked up a Bold 9900 a week ago but returned it after a day. I tried the browser and didn't think it stood up against what I was used to. I couldn't get email to work and a couple of other things seemed a bit awkward or non-intuitive so I thought this just isn't for me.

However, afterwards, as I continued to read reviews and compare iPhone 4s with Android and BB, I kept coming back here. Talking with a friend he said "the thing with BB is you need to spend a bit of time to set it up specifically for you".

So I went back to the store and picked up a new Bold 9900. This time I started exploring the settings and options. I started noticing all sorts of ways to customize the phone. Then I discovered that Rogers had not activated BIS when they activated the phone. The experience was completely different to the previous week.

Here are my thoughts and observations.

First of all, people keep comparing the iPhone with the Bold. I think this is only natural however I don't think it is necessarily valid. Which is best, soccer, football, or rugby? There is no right answer. Sure they are similar; team sports, use a ball, a field, etc. but they are different. That is why each game exists. Some people will have a preference one way or the other, while some will be indifferent. The same goes with these phones.

Battery: Those complaints regarding the 9900 batter life a)Imply that previous BB devices must have incredible batteries and b) Must come from people who have not used Android or iPhone. The battery on this (with original os) has really surprised me. It has to be at least 30% better than what I was used to with my iPhone.

Browser: This is close although the iPhone is a bit better. After using it on the Bold for a bit I think it is even better than my first impression, just different to what I was used to. This is very close. The iPhone really only wins due to screen size.

Privacy/Security: Every app I have installed has resulted in a prompt asking about whether I want to allow it access to my phone data, location data, network data, etc. This makes me wonder how much info I was blindly releasing on my old phone.

Messaging: I never understood the hype surrounding BBM. Wow...the way this phone manages text messages, BBM and email has really surprised me.

LED: Again, lots of hype. It is just a light, right? Well this was another surprise. I can't believe how something so simple now seems key to the use and enjoyment of the phone.

Customization: This is a strength and a weakness for the Bold 9900. Straight out of the box, the Bold may underwhelm somewhat compared to the competition. However, once you realize the level of control you have over so many aspects of the phone such as ring profiles etc, it is great. This is absolutely key to getting the full experience from your Blackberry.

Navigation: (Google Maps) Visually the iPhone wins because of the larger screen, however I think the Blackberry has more options with respect to additional mapping options.

Typing: The Qwerty is a bragging point for RIM. I'll be honest, I don't see it as a huge advantage. I think both take time to get used to. At the moment with limited experience (a few days) I really prefer the Blackberry for one handed use, and probably the iPhone for two handed use. However, the BB is SO much more useable one handed compared to the iPhone it tips the scales in favour of RIM.

I'm sure a lot of other things will come up once I have used this for a few weeks but I am really happy so far. It isn't perfect of course, and I am a bit concerned with some of the problems people report, however I won't miss things like the iPhone refusing to answer calls "swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, come on damn:t, answer!" or the app store reporting updates and then freezing up the phone as it refuses to update, or facebook showing new messages or requests for weeks no matter how many times you delete them. Casual reading of articles or reviews of the iPhone imply a device that works flawlessly and is perfect for those who like the features and style. However I don't know any iPhone owners who don't have complaints, haven't had their phones crash, frozen screens, etc. I expect the same from the BB, however it certainly does not deserve the beating it has been taking.

For me, phone is better, messaging is better, Facebook is better, notification is better, browsing is close enough that I don't care (and I have a real computer and TV), system customization is better, battery is way better, camera is good enough (I have a real camera), and navigation is equal. I have a PS3 for games, and I have a real job which means my phone is actually used as a communication tool first and foremost.

Anyway, this post has gone on too long.
    11-27-11 08:06 PM
    It's hard to compare these two different devices. Between the two of them one isn't better or worse than the other but have different uses. The blackberry is a great communication device that is business friendly were the Apple is a multi media power house more consumer friendly. As soon as BBX devices are released then you will be able to compare the two devices.
    11-27-11 09:27 PM
    Navigation: (Google Maps) Visually the iPhone wins because of the larger screen, however I think the Blackberry has more options with respect to additional mapping options.
    I'm sorry but I think iPhone Navi sucks.
    A lot.
    Like. So much.

I tested it with an iPhone 4, 9650, and Nexus S.

IP4 got owned.
    It was consistently too late to tell turns. (Refresh time to way too slow)

9650 had to look up addresses before actually going there but it was accurate.

And the Nexus S was the best. Ever.

Like better than GPS's.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-11 10:02 PM
    Yeah nothing more frustrating than running down the 401 (North America's busiest highway) and seeing your position suddenly jump ahead half the screen and past your exit. I don't have enough experience yet to see if the Bold has the same habit as the iPhone. My comments were based on looking things up before making the trip.
    11-27-11 10:11 PM
    Another huge difference for me was that Iphone call quality and reception was mediocre at best. I can actually get calls and send texts in area's I couldn't before.
    11-27-11 11:15 PM
    The best is to have and iphone and a blackberry bold 9900

Why I like my iphone 4S:

Camera is great, I can launch it with only two clicks, also the video is amazing.
    Apps ( 500,000 and counting ) you can have almost any type of app with the iphone
    Itunes - There is no better music, movie, and app store than this
    Backup - the backup is amazing you will have the same info even you buy a new iphone
    Quality - the iphone is a top quality product, all iphones look the same and feel the same.
    Big screen - the big screen of the iphone is great
    Reliability - An iphone works great always, there is no need to restart it because every day works great.

Why I like my bold 9900

BBM - there is no better chat system in the world, bbm works great, even imessage can't be compared
    Keyboard - there is no match between a phisical keyboard to a digital keyboard
    Cheaper to use it worldwide - you can travel to a lot of countries for a very cheap price and browse the web, receive mails, etc, etc. ( in the iphone the best solution is to buy a sim from this company: iPhoneTrip - rent international data sim card and use it with your iPhone and iPad in usa and abroad )

I hope that RIM releases a new OS to avoid the brick issue.

RIM is a great company and it builds great phones they need to focus at what they build better.

Also they need to lower the prices of their top phones in my country you can buy an iphone 4s for almost the same price as the bold 9900
    11-28-11 12:01 AM
    I totally agree with the above poster. You can really compare the two devices when you use both on a regular basis.

Each device has its own strength and weaknesses.

Iphone: camera, video, apps, no battery pulls, music, large screen landscape.....

Blackberry: bbm, emails, facebook notifications, text messages, whatsapp,

They are different devices that do what they are meant to do properly.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    @trinidoc on twitter
    http://www.sleepydoctordiaries.com
    11-28-11 04:47 AM
    Executive Summary: iPhone is good and so is Blackberry. Bold 9900 is best for me and is better than you think.

I have just switched from iPhone to Blackberry and am very happy. I was hesitant because of the many negative posts, so I thought I'd add my 2 cents regarding my positive experience.

I first picked up a Bold 9900 a week ago but returned it after a day. I tried the browser and didn't think it stood up against what I was used to. I couldn't get email to work and a couple of other things seemed a bit awkward or non-intuitive so I thought this just isn't for me.

However, afterwards, as I continued to read reviews and compare iPhone 4s with Android and BB, I kept coming back here. Talking with a friend he said "the thing with BB is you need to spend a bit of time to set it up specifically for you".

So I went back to the store and picked up a new Bold 9900. This time I started exploring the settings and options. I started noticing all sorts of ways to customize the phone. Then I discovered that Rogers had not activated BIS when they activated the phone. The experience was completely different to the previous week.

Here are my thoughts and observations.

First of all, people keep comparing the iPhone with the Bold. I think this is only natural however I don't think it is necessarily valid. Which is best, soccer, football, or rugby? There is no right answer. Sure they are similar; team sports, use a ball, a field, etc. but they are different. That is why each game exists. Some people will have a preference one way or the other, while some will be indifferent. The same goes with these phones.

Battery: Those complaints regarding the 9900 batter life a)Imply that previous BB devices must have incredible batteries and b) Must come from people who have not used Android or iPhone. The battery on this (with original os) has really surprised me. It has to be at least 30% better than what I was used to with my iPhone.

Browser: This is close although the iPhone is a bit better. After using it on the Bold for a bit I think it is even better than my first impression, just different to what I was used to. This is very close. The iPhone really only wins due to screen size.

Privacy/Security: Every app I have installed has resulted in a prompt asking about whether I want to allow it access to my phone data, location data, network data, etc. This makes me wonder how much info I was blindly releasing on my old phone.

Messaging: I never understood the hype surrounding BBM. Wow...the way this phone manages text messages, BBM and email has really surprised me.

LED: Again, lots of hype. It is just a light, right? Well this was another surprise. I can't believe how something so simple now seems key to the use and enjoyment of the phone.

Customization: This is a strength and a weakness for the Bold 9900. Straight out of the box, the Bold may underwhelm somewhat compared to the competition. However, once you realize the level of control you have over so many aspects of the phone such as ring profiles etc, it is great. This is absolutely key to getting the full experience from your Blackberry.

Typing: The Qwerty is a bragging point for RIM. I'll be honest, I don't see it as a huge advantage. I think both take time to get used to. At the moment with limited experience (a few days) I really prefer the Blackberry for one handed use, and probably the iPhone for two handed use. However, the BB is SO much more useable one handed compared to the iPhone it tips the scales in favour of RIM.

I'm sure a lot of other things will come up once I have used this for a few weeks but I am really happy so far. It isn't perfect of course, and I am a bit concerned with some of the problems people report, however I won't miss things like the iPhone refusing to answer calls "swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, swipe, come on damn:t, answer!" or the app store reporting updates and then freezing up the phone as it refuses to update, or facebook showing new messages or requests for weeks no matter how many times you delete them. Casual reading of articles or reviews of the iPhone imply a device that works flawlessly and is perfect for those who like the features and style. However I don't know any iPhone owners who don't have complaints, haven't had their phones crash, frozen screens, etc. I expect the same from the BB, however it certainly does not deserve the beating it has been taking.

For me, phone is better, messaging is better, Facebook is better, notification is better, browsing is close enough that I don't care (and I have a real computer and TV), system customization is better, battery is way better, camera is good enough (I have a real camera), and navigation is equal. I have a PS3 for games, and I have a real job which means my phone is actually used as a communication tool first and foremost.

Anyway, this post has gone on too long.
    What works best for me is my bold 9900 and an iPod touch 4th gen. I have the best of both

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-11 05:03 AM
  9. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    The best is to have and iphone and a blackberry bold 9900

Why I like my iphone 4S:

Camera is great, I can launch it with only two clicks, also the video is amazing.
    Apps ( 500,000 and counting ) you can have almost any type of app with the iphone
    Backup - the backup is amazing you will have the same info even you buy a new iphone
    Quality - the iphone is a top quality product, all iphones look the same and feel the same.
    Reliability - An iphone works great always, there is no need to restart it because every day works great.

Why I like my bold 9900

BBM - there is no better chat system in the world, bbm works great, even imessage can't be compared
    Keyboard - there is no match between a phisical keyboard to a digital keyboard
    Cheaper to use it worldwide - you can travel to a lot of countries for a very cheap price and browse the web, receive mails, etc, etc. ( in the iphone the best solution is to buy a sim from this company: iPhoneTrip - rent international data sim card and use it with your iPhone and iPad in usa and abroad )

I hope that RIM releases a new OS to avoid the brick issue.

RIM is a great company and it builds great phones they need to focus at what they build better.

Also they need to lower the prices of their top phones in my country you can buy an iphone 4s for almost the same price as the bold 9900

well said and very objective! ... appreciated from a Bold 9900 lover! ... and one who recognizes that the world is not just Black and White
    11-28-11 05:38 AM
    I love my 9900. It is a real powerhouse and enjoyable to use. With the amount of time I spend with it, it is nice to have such a nice experience each time. It is my 4th BlackBerry (not counting the Storm2 I kept less than 24 hours.....), and my 3rd Bold. I love it. I love it, I love it!
    11-28-11 08:25 AM
    One very nice feature of the BB in business is the ability to search emails...can the iphone do that yet?
    11-28-11 05:25 PM
    One very nice feature of the BB in business is the ability to search emails...can the iphone do that yet?
    Yes. Been there for as long as I can remember.
    11-28-11 05:48 PM
    I totally agree with the above poster. You can really compare the two devices when you use both on a regular basis.

Each device has its own strength and weaknesses.

Iphone: camera, video, apps, no battery pulls, music, large screen landscape.....

Blackberry: bbm, emails, facebook notifications, text messages, whatsapp,

They are different devices that do what they are meant to do properly.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    @trinidoc on twitter
    Sleepy Doc | Providing a little humor in the crazy world of medicine that I live in.
    iPhone no battery pulls? Seriously? How the F can you pull the battery w/o tearing apart, if your claim is that it doesn't lock up, you are so full of it. And guess what??? On the iPhone you cannot do a battery pull period so if it does lock up you have to get to a computer in order to get out of the lock status. DA.
    11-28-11 07:19 PM
    I've never had an Iphone lock on me from the first 2g to the 4s UNLESS it was Jailbroken. You also don't need a computer to get it out of a "locked" situation, you just press the home and start button and it will reboot. On the really rare occasions that an iPhone will lock up on you, then yes, you will need to put your iPhone in DFU or Recovery mode and use a computer.

I guess what "totallygone" is suggesting about battery pulls is that on an iPhone, a reboot is rarely necessary unlike the BB which require a lot of battery pulls (reboots) which is a known thing.

mokeiko
    Last edited by mokeikoberry; 11-28-11 at 07:55 PM.
    11-28-11 07:50 PM
    For an excellent navigation app, be sure to check out BlackBerry Traffic. That app saved me at least 40 minutes on our drive down to Disneyland last weekend. It also saved me a ton of time I would have been sitting in traffic on several other trips. I also love the ETA feature that helps me hit a deadline.
    11-28-11 09:32 PM

Why I like my iphone 4S:

Reliability - An iphone works great always, there is no need to restart it because every day works great
    Uhh wouldn't a latest gen ipod touch be a better alternative than having the 4s it being cheaper and not requiring a monthly data plan?

Just saying.. Lately I've seen people loving their 4s because of its superb camera, sweet games in the app store and a vastly superior media capability which is all good if you're into angry birds, taking pics and watching movies on a 3.5" screen.. But wouldn't it make more sense just getting an ipod touch instead of having two phones? it's basically an iphone without the radio. Yeah yeah maybe the current one isn't quite up there with the 4s but I bet there will be a refresh featuring the same hardware as the 4s. It's always been like that.
    AlienSlacker likes this.
    11-28-11 10:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD