This phone is driving me nuts!! Worked fine for maybe the first 3 months, then one day it shutdown and restarted by itself and got a 603 error. That was maybe 2 weeks ago, ever since then its never been the same. I've tried almost everything I know/found on the internet. Error 603 means just reload the OS, right? Sounds simple. Thats what I did, reloaded it with the apploader I thought everything was all good.. it booted up fine. I use it for maybe 10 minutes and I get all these problems.

-Whenever the screen shuts off either from idling or I press the lock key, it wont open back up but if I try I'll see backlighting. To remedy this, I have to lock it then wait 5 minutes and *cross my fingers* press lock key again and the screen will come on. But once it goes off again, I have to do the SAME THING!! LOCK IT AND WAIT ANOTHER 5!! Its crazy.. if anyone has this problem and has a fix please let me know!!

-My phone calls and music playback, basically anything that the phone plays (youtube, videos, bluetooth) will SKIP. Phone calls will be like i'm trying to say "Hey whats up?" it'll go through like "hey up." Basically it skips every other second and its impossible to understand what I'm saying, also it happens when the person on the other line is talking as well.

-As for music/video playback, this is what happens. The phone will continously by itself keep switching from headset to speaker mode. You know when you plug in a headset you see the little volume toggle screen? for maybe 5 seconds then it'll go away. What I get is that volume toggle screen but it blinks on and off on and off, DOES not go away. Music will play for a second, pause and I'd have to press play again and repeat repeat, Its impossible to listen to a song I've already gave up. I've tried to clean the headset jack, plug a headset in, nothing works.

I guess I should also mention before the phone had any of these problems. When it was working fine, whenever I battery pulled it I'd have to do it about 3 or 4 times cause it'll get stuck on the bootup. That was a pain but something I could deal with.

What I've tried
    -Wiping the phone with BBSAK then reloading the OS with apploader
    -Tried reloading OS with the blackberry desktop software
    -Tried wiping OS with apploader and reloading with apploader
    -Have tried all the OS versions
    -Tried different combinations of apps when reloading, hoping its an APP thats causing this but no success YET..

I dont know what else is there so I decided to make a post, hopefully someone can help me out. Ive never dropped it or had any water damage on it. Could it be a hardware problem? If yes then I'm out of luck cause I dont have warranty on this damn thing.

Thanks
    12-31-11 05:36 AM
    I hate to say it but it is time to move on. If you have done everything you have listed above, I feel we are looking at a hardware error and nothing will fix that except replacement.

This is all so sad
    12-31-11 06:18 AM
    Oh man, $500 down the drain.. well I did manage to fix the headphone/phone call thing.. heres the trick, I plugged a headset in, made a call then on the call menu pressed handset and now its working! 1 down 1 to go..
    12-31-11 07:18 AM
    ask for replacement...
    RIM will never acknowledge for hardware defects in 99xx.
    accept my condolence
    12-31-11 07:32 AM
    I'm I big believer in os 540 now. Try that.
    12-31-11 08:12 AM
    What I've tried
    -Have tried all the OS versions
    I'm I big believer in os 540 now. Try that.
    Great advice...
    12-31-11 08:58 AM
    Great advice...
    Phill: I originally thought I tried all available os options but didn't realize at first I could reach across carriers for OS versions so I thought I would share my success with that version. Sorry the advice wasn't up to your specifications though.
    12-31-11 09:53 AM
    could it be my battery thats making my screen go black? anyone got any knowledge or insight on this?
    12-31-11 10:52 AM
    Sounds like you should swap your device. Not sure where you bought it, but it should still be under the RIM waranty.

I've had my 9930 for close to two months now and have had no problems, totally love it. I'm sorry to hear about your issues, it must be frustrating. I hope you can swap out for a new one as this stuff sometimes happens (even with iPhone or Android).
    12-31-11 11:23 AM
    thing is I dont have a receipt cause I bought it from someone. it was brand new. would rim still warrant it?
    12-31-11 11:48 AM
    I would suggesting ringing RIM and telling them the faults your having. Hopefully they'll be able to help you and maybe givre you a replacement
    12-31-11 12:17 PM
    what number can i reach them at?
    12-31-11 12:29 PM
    Visit the blackberry website, I'm not sure what location you are at. Maybe try ringing your carrier
    12-31-11 02:07 PM
    Oh man, $500 down the drain.. well I did manage to fix the headphone/phone call thing.. heres the trick, I plugged a headset in, made a call then on the call menu pressed handset and now its working! 1 down 1 to go..

have you tired formatting the built in memory card? wiping the cell with third party app only wipe the OS and applications. there may be some virus in your built in memory card.. try formatting your memory card than wipe ur set and than reload OS .540... but before wiping and formatting your device make sure that your system is virus free... i hope that solve your problem.. best of luck
    12-31-11 03:56 PM
    have you tired formatting the built in memory card? wiping the cell with third party app only wipe the OS and applications. there may be some virus in your built in memory card.. try formatting your memory card than wipe ur set and than reload OS .540... but before wiping and formatting your device make sure that your system is virus free... i hope that solve your problem.. best of luck
    hey, that sounds like a good idea but i dont know how to do that. which program would i use for that? any guidance in the that direction would be appreciated
    12-31-11 05:06 PM
    yea either get a replacement... furthermore you could reload the os and try to reinstall your apps 1 by 1 until you find the error.. also do not restore any previous data that might be the cause.. if it still does it then you def need new hardware.. i was having a jam errors like twice a week until i took these steps... now it is working better
    12-31-11 05:45 PM
    hey, that sounds like a good idea but i dont know how to do that. which program would i use for that? any guidance in the that direction would be appreciated

When you connect your device with your computer the pop up appears device screen "Blackberry is plugged in 1. USB drive 2. Media Sync 3. only charging. Select usb drive than open my computer and format blackberry user tools after that wipe your device and reload the OS but make sure your computer is virus free and let me know if this method solve your problem.. best of luck
    12-31-11 11:31 PM
    thanks for all the help guys. unfortunately the phones still having the screen problem , thinking of replacing the screen
    01-01-12 05:42 AM
    I would suggesting ringing RIM and telling them the faults your having. Hopefully they'll be able to help you and maybe givre you a replacement
    Are you joking?

Have you ever called RIM?

That was a joke, right?
    01-01-12 06:01 AM
    Why what are they like? I have never personally rang them myself.
    01-01-12 10:55 AM
    Hey just a little update guys. I've somewhat clued in on what the problem is and I believe the phone is overheating or something. Heres what I've figured out

-Phone runs fine when its COLD and in Canada basically anywhere outside or when my car is cold, IT WILL work fine.

-When its been in my pocket for too long (essentially gets warm) it wont work..

-I know why I have to wait the *6 mins* now. To let the phone cool down a little I guess, enough for it to start operating again.

-When the screen turns black you can still see some of it, basically its similar to when a computer GPU overheats. The screen will artifact and you'll see streaks or what not

-If I use it long enough (rougly 30mins) screen will basically go black and give me the black streaks and stuff..

-Phone does not feel HOT or anywhere close. I cant touch the internals so I dont know how hot its getting but the outside does not get hot at all...not even warm

Thats what I've figured out.. making some progress which I'm happy about. I can somewhat use the phone now but in the summer time I know its not going to work . I believe the the fact that these are the first batch of blackberries with a dedicated GPU has somewhat of an effect on it.. theres always going to be a couple that have problems..
    Last edited by thebosssman; 01-05-12 at 11:16 AM.
    01-05-12 11:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD