11-26-11 10:36 PM
91 1234
tools
    well personally i think it sucks that we can't hold as many texts as we used to i myself have well over 11.000 saved on my curve and it will really suck not having them all on my new bold i think it's sh!t seeing as the phone has more ram/memory then any other blackberry has had in the last 4-5yrs

As for why some people keep there texts i don't think "we" need to explain why we keep them to anyone we keep them because we can, weather or not it be for blackmailing reason's or just to look back in 6 months and see texts that made you LOL or find a number that you lost when we restored our phone or for any reason(s) it's just a fact that if the phone with a lot lower memory can keep 26K, then why can't this new blackberry do the same it's BS RIM
    08-14-11 11:28 PM
    Why not just purchase an app that backs up you sms to email? Or I'm sure there's an app to back them uo to the memory card, def plenty doing the backup to email.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-11 01:28 AM
    ...Fix it now RIM. I'm losing texts from 2.2 years ago with every new text I get. ....
    Do you know for sure that you are losing them? Ugh. I'm so excited that I just got to order the 9930 tonight, but between this and the camera (for business I do often need to photo documents, shots of part numbers, etc., and email/text them immediately) I have a bit of a knot in my stomach. Oddly more so about the texts because they're for both business AND personal reasons.
    08-15-11 01:31 AM
    Bottom line Sandra, you shouldn't have to explain to anyone why you do but the fact that a NEW device won't do what 2 generations ago (9000) will do is disappointing to say the least.

Many others would ask why we pay so much money for a phone? We all have our reasons to justify what we do and it's that simple.

Instead the question should be directed to RIM...why won't you allow us to do everything we could before on your old devices and MORE with this "upgrade"?
    I wonder why I took such a raft of shiiiit when I brought up my issue...
    ...I have perhaps 10 texts on my phone and I don't use that feature that much.
    ...Now ALL of you know how / why I felt the way I did about the camera.

Only I use / absoultely need the camera for "work".
    Last edited by pythons; 08-15-11 at 01:59 AM.
    08-15-11 01:47 AM
    Yeah, I've lost quite a few for sure. I took a backup yesterday and its shaving them off.

The question is which ones. Right now I'm keeping em peeled. I know that one convo from 2 years 5 months ago is pretty much gone.

08-15-11 02:00 AM
    Where do you draw the line though? 50k? 100k? 1milion? I've seen teenagers go trough 1000 in a few days.

Tell you what, you tell a mate you kept every single sms he sent you and see what they say about that lol

Do you also keep every newspaper you ever bought?

08-15-11 02:18 AM
    I'm curious as to whether the other OS7 devices are having this issue. (Yes, I know this is the 9900 subforum, but I'm hoping there are those with the 9810 or 9850/9860 that are skimming and reading.)

08-15-11 02:40 AM
    I've managed to restore over 3000 text messages that were on my 9700 to my 9900, I just used BlackBerry Protect, took a while for it to put them all back but no warning that it's low and I've sent quite a few texts since.

Try restoring them Via BB Protect, seams that fastest and best option.

Oh & btw I keep my texts for blackmail

htc_maple likes this.
    08-15-11 02:53 AM
    Where do you draw the line though? 50k? 100k? 1milion? I've seen teenagers go trough 1000 in a few days.

Tell you what, you tell a mate you kept every single sms he sent you and see what they say about that lol

Do you also keep every newspaper you ever bought?

The lads respect my hustle though, and know I keep the$m. I don't keep em for blackmail. I keep em for the memories

08-15-11 10:36 AM
    Neat, I didn't know bb protect wouldn't wipe your current texts while restoring your old ones.

I need to dig through my old ipds, try and restore old ones and then use bb protect to sync. Rinse & repeat. Maybe this would owkr
    08-15-11 11:25 AM
    Excuse me?

This is not a problem because 2 or 3 people care to hold all of their text messages? I'm sure there are more people who like to keep all of their messages.

Bottom line: SMS/MMS messages are so small that storing 3 years of your texting/mmsing shouldn't be an issue. Seriously a fugging shame that this is the first and ONLY OS that has some real issues holding sms/mms. I suspect its the threaded view causing some swingui panel to use massive amounts of ram.

Fix it now RIM. I'm losing texts from 2.2 years ago with every new text I get. It shouldn't be a problem holding texts. I got my hands on an ipd source code, I may have to write my own ipd merging program so I can chunk it back into 1 file. I am not going to stop because some BS OS has some issue holding them.

Oh and, yes.. I'm a "textwh0re". Sorry I like to talk to people. Sorry people like to talk to me. You're obviously the type who laughs at your own jokes. *washes hands*

Good day.
    If you can parse the IPD, then I would act8ually recommend instead of merging, have the SMS sent to your email box, use something like Outlook or Gmail as a container. You could then review on your computer, and even do a remote search from your BB if you use GMail. Actually I will not say should... You already made perfectly clear your reasoning, I am merely providing a possible work around so you can retain all your messages and even have them in multiple locations...

I would love a copy of that source code so I could actually work on such a project. I don't spose it is VB code is it? I don't know the first thing about C++ but I know my way around VB pretty good.
    08-15-11 11:33 AM
    Threads like this really expose the "RIM can do no wrong" fanbois, lol. Whenever you point out an annoying shortcoming with a BB, the fanbois always respond with either a) why on earth would you want to do that? That's not how I use MY phone, or b) so what? Just make do with this crappy little workaround that shouldn't be necessary.

The fact is it's YOUR phone and you should be able to use the available resources how you like. This is a Blackberry, not an iPhone (snark!). How much memory does an SMS text take? One byte per character plus some simple metadata? A fraction of a kilobyte per text! Come on people, phones and other small devices can hold multiple freaking BOOKS these days, not to mention videos and songs! You should be able to store a DECADE's worth of texts if you like, and there is no reason why it should slow your phone down. It's just bad design.

But seriously, enough of the "I don't need that functionality so why should you" nonsense. We're all different. Personally, I communicate with my employees via text during the day and there have been plenty of times I have really needed to refer back to a text from way back, for example in the case of employee disputes when they have denied receiving a piece of information in the past, etc.

htc_maple and sandra_17 like this.
    08-15-11 11:42 AM
    Found some code, but the results are less than readable to me. Will keep on searching...
    08-15-11 11:54 AM
    Threads like this really expose the "RIM can do no wrong" fanbois, lol. Whenever you point out an annoying shortcoming with a BB, the fanbois always respond with either a) why on earth would you want to do that? That's not how I use MY phone, or b) so what? Just make do with this crappy little workaround that shouldn't be necessary.

The fact is it's YOUR phone and you should be able to use the available resources how you like. This is a Blackberry, not an iPhone (snark!). How much memory does an SMS text take? One byte per character plus some simple metadata? A fraction of a kilobyte per text! Come on people, phones and other small devices can hold multiple freaking BOOKS these days, not to mention videos and songs! You should be able to store a DECADE's worth of texts if you like, and there is no reason why it should slow your phone down. It's just bad design.

But seriously, enough of the "I don't need that functionality so why should you" nonsense. We're all different. Personally, I communicate with my employees via text during the day and there have been plenty of times I have really needed to refer back to a text from way back, for example in the case of employee disputes when they have denied receiving a piece of information in the past, etc.

Easier to provide an email than it is to provide SMS. But that's just my opinion.

PS. And not the topic of this thread. MagicBerry looks promising to produce a useable TXT file to parse. Gonna play around now...
    Last edited by MobileMadness002; 08-15-11 at 12:14 PM.
    08-15-11 11:57 AM

Oh and, yes.. I'm a "textwh0re". Sorry I like to talk to people. Sorry people like to talk to me. You're obviously the type who laughs at your own jokes. *washes hands*

Good day.
    Texting and Talking are not the same thing.

I forone do not keep my text messages as long BUT I can see a need for an Outlook extension for syncing them or a why for DM to back them up and view on your computer, etc.
    08-15-11 11:57 AM
    Rogers has a great feature in their text messaging which allows you to copy all of your SMS incoming and outgoing to an email address. That's what I do.

I have an unused email address that just contains all of my texts should I ever need them. I have no worries about deleting an SMS.
    08-15-11 12:05 PM
    This is absolute garbage, I cannot believe I'm getting a message memory is full! notice.

The friggen phone has so much ram how the **** can RIM put their thumb up their bum like this? FIX IT! I WANT TO KEEP ALL MY TEXTS, JERKS! (This is directed to the crappy programmers that are there)
    You need to delete all that crap! Do you think your texts are that important to keep for ever! LOL!
    Last edited by greggebhardt; 08-15-11 at 05:15 PM.
    08-15-11 12:17 PM
    How about I erase all your photos of you and your best friend (dog) shown in your avatar?

How would you feel if I said "Just erase them, big deal" after you started losing some of your pictures with you and your loved ones?

You'd be pretty insulted, I'm sure. Some people like hanging on to their experiences to serve as a reminder of how far we've come. I'm sure you're like that with you and your lil dawgie there.

Have some tact.

Thanks.
    You need your text messages to remind you how far you have gone in a relationship?

How old are you?
    08-15-11 12:21 PM
    You need your text messages to remind you how far you have gone in a relationship?

How old are you?
    Ha ha, what if he gets a new girlfriend? Will he still keep all the messages from the previous one, or delete them. That is the question.

08-15-11 12:59 PM

pretty much agree with this 100%
    08-15-11 01:13 PM

How old are you?
    23, but it's not to remind me of how far I got in a relationship. That's just sad.

I have an eidetic memory, so old messages actually jog my memory in such a way where I can actually re-live what I was going through at the time. Otherwise I'd have no reason to keep them. I don't look at messages and say HEY I NEVER WROTE THAT. I remember I wrote it, and it just lets me remember what I was doing/thinking/saying/going through when I wrote it.

Not worried if a girlfriend reads my messages to other girls back in the day. I don't make advances like that over text. Only wussies do that.

On another note: A BB is a communication device first. IT shouldn't have an issue holding messages of ALL Things. It's a messaging device first.

Don't use magicberry, there is no source code. All it does is chunk iPDs together but DOES NOT HANDLE duplicates. So if you had 2 backups that were 1 month apart but you didn't wipe after taking the first one, you will have so many duplicates show up in the merged ipd.

ipddump - Extract your information from a blackberry backup IPD - Google Project Hosting

This is the code I plan to use to write my own parser. I will let you guys know how it goes. I should crack it open right now.
    08-15-11 02:06 PM
    Is your BB actually low on memory? What does it say in the application management options panel for Memory?
    08-15-11 02:49 PM
    As far as chunking the files together, I would not do it anyways, this app just trashed my contacts. A whack of weird ascii characters caused the list to stop @ 57 instead of the 341 I do have.

Does produce a nice txt file though.
    08-15-11 03:10 PM
    Are you talking about magicberry or ipddump? I do not recommend either to chunk your files together! I am writing my own using the ipddump code as help to actually open the file and look at the databases.

Don't use magicberry its terrible.

My memory panel on app management is 188ish so obviously its not an issue but the os is nuking things for sure.

08-15-11 03:22 PM

How old are you?
    Guess you keep skimming over the part where some use their sms messages for business purposes....?

I'm 51, btw.

And am hoping this thread eventually leads to a resolution I can use instead of snarky bs (thanks Broly - and good luck!).
    08-15-11 04:44 PM
91 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD