Guess you keep skimming over the part where some use their sms messages for business purposes....?

I'm 51, btw.

And am hoping this thread eventually leads to a resolution I can use instead of snarky bs (thanks Broly - and good luck!).
    You have not yet heard snarky, older person.

I do not think that any of todays devices are able to keep an unlimited number of texts on them no matter how much memory they have. I use my device for business of which the important stuff is usually done via email and what texts I get are surely not still needed after a few years.
    08-15-11 05:22 PM
    Is your BB actually low on memory? What does it say in the application management options panel for Memory?
    I am betting that there is no way that his 9900 is lacking the memory to keep these messages. I think that the number is likely limited by the software.
    08-15-11 05:24 PM
    There is a hard limit to the number of txts and MMS the device can keep, even if you choose forever, eventually your oldest messages will be deleted to make way for the newest ones. I am not sure of the limit of the space it has set aside, just that about
    1500 text messages are about 450 kb and
    5 MMS are about 500 kb

Perhaps going forward, it would better to export them monthly, or quarterly.
    08-15-11 05:41 PM
    Yall are so irrational!! some people keep their texts! some people do not... its like any other thing...

reciepts, old issues of subscribed magazines, old vinyl records (even though you prob have the .mp3 of that record by now), old bank statements... ect ect ect.

its not sticky worthy, and its also not "hey lets get in a riproaring argument over something so trivial" worthy... RELAX. im sure that you all can backup your old texts somehow, save them somewhere off the device (if memory is an issue) and then start fresh text logs on the 9900 when you get it. its not that huge of a deal to not have instant access to a 2 year old text at any moments notice.

please take a chill pill and get excited to have a new blackberry! not everyone can afford a new one right now. be thankful for what youve got rather than blow miniscule issues like sms storage out of proportion. i guarantee if you went broke and had to use a moto razr you wouldnt be bitchin, because hey, at least youd still HAVE a phone, right?

/rant
    08-15-11 06:01 PM
    Another reason why Rim is failing. Not to mention that supposed 768 ram which is down to under 200mb. Ha that is more than android takes up.
    08-15-11 06:05 PM
    and there goes another thread...smh
    08-15-11 06:11 PM
    Yall are so irrational!! some people keep their texts! some people do not... its like any other thing...

reciepts, old issues of subscribed magazines, old vinyl records (even though you prob have the .mp3 of that record by now), old bank statements... ect ect ect.

its not sticky worthy, and its also not "hey lets get in a riproaring argument over something so trivial" worthy... RELAX. im sure that you all can backup your old texts somehow, save them somewhere off the device (if memory is an issue) and then start fresh text logs on the 9900 when you get it. its not that huge of a deal to not have instant access to a 2 year old text at any moments notice.

please take a chill pill and get excited to have a new blackberry! not everyone can afford a new one right now. be thankful for what youve got rather than blow miniscule issues like sms storage out of proportion. i guarantee if you went broke and had to use a moto razr you wouldnt be bitchin, because hey, at least youd still HAVE a phone, right?

/rant
    Hi.

First things first -- line 2 on your signature is hilarious. That's only because the smiley at the end of it really accentuates the preceding sentence.

OK with that out of the way, I don't know why you're suggesting I'm not thankful for what I have and how fortunate I am. I am fully aware of that at all times, but it doesn't change the fact that this is, by far, the most perplexing and stupid thing a company has done when it comes to managing the tiniest types of messages.

For those who say "I"m sure your phone can't hold unlimited texts". Dude, the OS4 blackberries can hold as many texts as you want without an issue. It's something to do with the java swing panel that threads them together. I think the way they're doing threaded SMS requires a lot of memory.

I had a NOKIA 7610 8 years ago that didn't have an issue with text limit. I had an HTC TyTN2 that had no issues with keeping texts. It's only been OS7. Not even OS6 gave me that error when I was packing as many texts as I was! And it had 1/3 the ram.

The real question is how to remove this stupid and very artificial limitation.
    I will have to keep digging through ipddump but the code seems to be written fairly well. I should be able to find a way to read in a batch of iPDS and then merge their information together. RIM provided some decent documentation on how to chunk iPDs too.

The axe has to fall on someone for this. The reason I'm not bothered by the people who say "JUST BACK THEM UP" is because I know you guys don't fully understand how these things work at the operating system level. Let's just say that this message limitation is akin to your computer not being able to hold 1 torrented movie (for those of you that torrent, which is nearly everyone).

ALSO. Why are text messages eating memory anyways? Why can't they just be loaded on the 8GB device memory. Surely there are some effin poor decisions made as to how sms/mmses are stored. Email messages are for sure held on the device ROM, not RAM. I've had so many email messages sit in my inbox without having any issue.

I am already convinced that storing texts on the device storage wouldn't incur any lag when accessing. You could easily cache the most recent parts and lazy-load the rest of it when the user scrolls up enough. Considering that's how their picture thumbnails work, and this was a large speed increase in comparison to how pictures were indexed in OS5, it seems to me that RIM isn't even aware or concerned with this.

I just want it fixed. That's all. I don't think what I"m asking for is ridiculous or out there.
    Sharke likes this.
    08-15-11 07:13 PM
    Hi.

First things first -- line 2 on your signature is hilarious. That's only because the smiley at the end of it really accentuates the preceding sentence.

OK with that out of the way, I don't know why you're suggesting I'm not thankful for what I have and how fortunate I am. I am fully aware of that at all times, but it doesn't change the fact that this is, by far, the most perplexing and stupid thing a company has done when it comes to managing the tiniest types of messages.

For those who say "I"m sure your phone can't hold unlimited texts". Dude, the OS4 blackberries can hold as many texts as you want without an issue. It's something to do with the java swing panel that threads them together. I think the way they're doing threaded SMS requires a lot of memory.

I had a NOKIA 7610 8 years ago that didn't have an issue with text limit. I had an HTC TyTN2 that had no issues with keeping texts. It's only been OS7. Not even OS6 gave me that error when I was packing as many texts as I was! And it had 1/3 the ram.

I will have to keep digging through ipddump but the code seems to be written fairly well. I should be able to find a way to read in a batch of iPDS and then merge their information together. RIM provided some decent documentation on how to chunk iPDs too.

The axe has to fall on someone for this. The reason I'm not bothered by the people who say "JUST BACK THEM UP" is because I know you guys don't fully understand how these things work at the operating system level. Let's just say that this message limitation is akin to your computer not being able to hold 1 torrented movie (for those of you that torrent, which is nearly everyone).

ALSO. Why are text messages eating memory anyways? Why can't they just be loaded on the 8GB device memory. Surely there are some effin poor decisions made as to how sms/mmses are stored. Email messages are for sure held on the device ROM, not RAM. I've had so many email messages sit in my inbox without having any issue.

I am already convinced that storing texts on the device storage wouldn't incur any lag when accessing. You could easily cache the most recent parts and lazy-load the rest of it when the user scrolls up enough. Considering that's how their picture thumbnails work, and this was a large speed increase in comparison to how pictures were indexed in OS5, it seems to me that RIM isn't even aware or concerned with this.

I just want it fixed. That's all. I don't think what I"m asking for is ridiculous or out there.
    Unless you can't remember OS4 was deleting older messages when running low on memory. Also Rim will never allow saving messages on the memory card, too much of a security risk. What you're asking is a bit ridiculous really, you're not looking at the big picture, you're just looking at your issue.

Anyway, maybe the limit applies to how many texts you can restore to a new device, not how many texts your new phone can hold.

Oh, and how is backing up not a good idea, especially if the messages are so important to you? What happens if your phone gets damaged?
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-11 02:20 AM
    You got your job cut out for you as this is likely hardwired into the device and you will not be able to change it. RIM makes changes quite hard. Security will prevent you from doing most changing if not all.
    08-16-11 06:48 AM
    Unless you can't remember OS4 was deleting older messages when running low on memory. Also Rim will never allow saving messages on the memory card, too much of a security risk. What you're asking is a bit ridiculous really, you're not looking at the big picture, you're just looking at your issue.

Anyway, maybe the limit applies to how many texts you can restore to a new device, not how many texts your new phone can hold.

Oh, and how is backing up not a good idea, especially if the messages are so important to you? What happens if your phone gets damaged?
    Uh if security was an issue then why do they let you save bbm conversations to a media card? I highly doubht that bbm isn't supposed to be more "safe" than sms/mms. This isn't a security issue imo.

08-16-11 09:58 AM
    YOU TOO? See! The 9700 didn't even have this issue. When it was full it just got slow. I feel your pain PatinTheHat. I am hoping this is a software bug that they'll fix in upcoming releases. Can anyone else who saves their texts confirm this error? I think it's sticky worthy. This is something that seriously needs to be addressed as the BB6 OS does not have this problem, but for some reason the 7 does.

I don't believe for one second that threaded SMSes can eat up as much memory as the phone notice makes it sound. Each message is MAYBE a kilobyte. Please please fix this soon.

It seems that it doesn't nuke texts or anything, just gives you a nag. It might be deleting texts without me noticing though. That would also be *very* unwelcome.
    Can't you just use the "Device Switch" in DM and then restore a back up for your 9700?
    08-16-11 10:32 AM
    Uh if security was an issue then why do they let you save bbm conversations to a media card? I highly doubht that bbm isn't supposed to be more "safe" than sms/mms. This isn't a security issue imo.

Yeah but I'm pretty sure they are tied to the PIN, you can't restore them to a new device or view them on anything else but the original BB.

08-16-11 02:04 PM
    Can't you just use the "Device Switch" in DM and then restore a back up for your 9700?
    Good question-- I tried this to no avail.

It works the same way as a restore. I thought it might resize the databases appropriately given that a new spec phone could accommodate larger ones, but that isn't the case.
    08-16-11 07:03 PM
    Yeah but I'm pretty sure they are tied to the PIN, you can't restore them to a new device or view them on anything else but the original BB.
    Sorta....

If in options you choose "Save Chat History" to the media card, a .csv file is created that stores every convo since that device was activated. When I had the Tour I had gone thru sooooo many replacements that I got tired of losing my saved chats. I edited the .csv file w/Notepad and changed all instances of the old PIN(s) to the new one w/every replacement or upgrade phone since. Works fine.
    08-16-11 09:22 PM
    Iphone 3Gs has a 75,000 SMS limit. That phone came out years ago.

This 9900/9930 limit has to be made known to RIM and the public so that RIM will act on it, and that some (not all) of its' users want to store a lot if not all of their SMS.
    Last edited by knowsnoblackberry; 08-17-11 at 07:48 PM.
    08-16-11 09:58 PM
    Thanks for that information knowsnoblackberry. It's good to have extra information about the limits on texts. I know 75000 is pretty generous so I wouldn't complain if I had that much storage.

BUMP
    08-17-11 02:37 PM
    Any idea how to see how many characters you are typing in a sms?
    08-17-11 05:03 PM
    This is absolute garbage, I cannot believe I'm getting a message memory is full! notice.

The friggen phone has so much ram how the **** can RIM put their thumb up their bum like this? FIX IT! I WANT TO KEEP ALL MY TEXTS, JERKS! (This is directed to the crappy programmers that are there)
    Hi- I just received my 9900 and am having the same issue. I already deleted 50+ old messages (that I did not want to erase!!) thinking that it would help, but still getting the same error message every time I receive a text message.

Is there any new word on what the issue ir and if/when RIM will be fixing it? Anyone know?
    08-22-11 07:28 PM
    bump.

I have a thread on supportforums as well guys, so chime in there too. The more attention it gets, the quicker it gets fixed. RIMs developers ARE aware of the issue, and I"ve sent them the iPD file that would reproduce this situation.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/...g/td-p/1262523
    Last edited by Broly; 08-25-11 at 04:42 PM. Reason: forgot link
    08-25-11 04:42 PM
    daily bump
    08-26-11 11:55 AM
    bumppity bumpp
    08-30-11 03:24 PM
    bumppity bumpp
    Take the hint

08-30-11 03:26 PM
    daily bump
    Read the http://forums.crackberry.com/forum-r...uidelines-113/...

Bumping

This refers to posting with the deliberate intention to either pad your post count or to keep a thread 'hot' so it appears at the top of the forum. Bumping can sometimes be useful, but you must wait three days from the original post to bump the thread. Only one bump is allowed per thread per user. CrackBerry.com's moderator�s reserve the right to delete useless �bumps� at their discretion.
    08-30-11 03:37 PM
    Hi- I just received my 9900 and am having the same issue. I already deleted 50+ old messages (that I did not want to erase!!) thinking that it would help, but still getting the same error message every time I receive a text message.

Is there any new word on what the issue ir and if/when RIM will be fixing it? Anyone know?
    i haven't had that trouble but i do wish we could store more on the memory card or even in all that phone memory its just short on ram.
    08-30-11 04:48 PM
    bump. WE STILL WAITIN RIM!

As DMX once said: WE AINT GOIN NOWHERE, WE RIGHT HERE!
    09-26-11 01:55 PM
91 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD