Have any of you guys migrated a crap load of texts from your 9700 to the 9900 to get some SMS/message limit notice/

I'm wondering if this is because I just restored a 9700 IPD to a 9900 and therefore the sms messages apps is under the impression that i"m still on a 9900 as all the texts are from a 9700.

Is there a difference between the way I restored and actually doing the "switch device" option offered in BBDM?

Thanks

NOTE: THIS ISSUE HAS FINALLY BEEN FIXED AS OF 7.1.0.74!!
    Last edited by Broly; 11-26-11 at 05:49 PM.
    08-10-11 02:02 PM
    This is absolute garbage, I cannot believe I'm getting a message memory is full! notice.

The friggen phone has so much ram how the **** can RIM put their thumb up their bum like this? FIX IT! I WANT TO KEEP ALL MY TEXTS, JERKS! (This is directed to the crappy programmers that are there)
    08-10-11 05:41 PM
    Try backing your texts up via Blackberry Protect on your 9700 and restoring that to your 9900.
    08-10-11 05:44 PM
    Oh I hope that is no true. Reminds me of the old sidekick message limit.
    08-10-11 06:03 PM
    Same issue. Moved my messages over from a 9000. Shocking wow if this phone can't keep up with what the 9000
    08-11-11 05:09 PM
    YOU TOO? See! The 9700 didn't even have this issue. When it was full it just got slow. I feel your pain PatinTheHat. I am hoping this is a software bug that they'll fix in upcoming releases. Can anyone else who saves their texts confirm this error? I think it's sticky worthy. This is something that seriously needs to be addressed as the BB6 OS does not have this problem, but for some reason the 7 does.

I don't believe for one second that threaded SMSes can eat up as much memory as the phone notice makes it sound. Each message is MAYBE a kilobyte. Please please fix this soon.

It seems that it doesn't nuke texts or anything, just gives you a nag. It might be deleting texts without me noticing though. That would also be *very* unwelcome.
    08-11-11 06:07 PM
    Strange that more people aren't being effected by this issue. I'm not really sure what to do... I dont want to delete my message history
    08-11-11 09:18 PM
    Wow, I'm screwed if this is true. I have over 22K sms msgs (not counting the mms!). Shoot...
    08-12-11 01:07 AM
    And the list of can't, won't, not gonna happen and not as good with the 9900 grows even bigger.

The only thing I can think of is by limiting this, it assures the 9900 will always be more snappier. ??? Just my guess but really sucks if this is true.
    08-12-11 01:13 AM
    Just curious, but why do you guys keep so many texts on your phones? Blackmail reasons? For proof of something?

Not trying to sound like a ****, but I'm just curious.

I normally delete them once I have finished a convo.
    08-12-11 01:13 AM
    Just curious, but why do you guys keep so many texts on your phones? Blackmail reasons? For proof of something? ...
    Combination of reasons. Some texts are business, some personal, but somehow there's always a reason to go back to an old convo for something. And searching usually finds whatever I need pretty quickly.

Having a slight touch of OCD may or may not have something to do with it too...
    08-12-11 01:19 AM
    Combination of reasons. Some texts are business, some personal, but somehow there's always a reason to go back to an old convo for something. And searching usually finds whatever I need pretty quickly.

Having a slight touch of OCD may or may not have something to do with it too...
    Bottom line Sandra, you shouldn't have to explain to anyone why you do but the fact that a NEW device won't do what 2 generations ago (9000) will do is disappointing to say the least.

Many others would ask why we pay so much money for a phone? We all have our reasons to justify what we do and it's that simple.

Instead the question should be directed to RIM...why won't you allow us to do everything we could before on your old devices and MORE with this "upgrade"?
    mssca likes this.
    08-12-11 01:29 AM
    Bump.

No kidding guys, I'm in agreement. RIM should get on this and fix it. This is beyond idiotic.

I keep my SMSes because I'm a big memento hoarder. I enjoy being able to relive my conversations

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-11 09:29 AM
    YOU TOO? See! The 9700 didn't even have this issue. When it was full it just got slow. I feel your pain PatinTheHat. I am hoping this is a software bug that they'll fix in upcoming releases. Can anyone else who saves their texts confirm this error? I think it's sticky worthy. This is something that seriously needs to be addressed as the BB6 OS does not have this problem, but for some reason the 7 does.

I don't believe for one second that threaded SMSes can eat up as much memory as the phone notice makes it sound. Each message is MAYBE a kilobyte. Please please fix this soon.

It seems that it doesn't nuke texts or anything, just gives you a nag. It might be deleting texts without me noticing though. That would also be *very* unwelcome.
    Really? That's strange 'cos I get this quite often with my 9700 - saying that memory is full and I need to delete SMS messages. Strange because I do not install many apps and memory is otherwise over 20MB free. Always thought a particular section of the memory was reserved for SMS or something.

Anyway was never an issue for me as text messages were not worth keeping after I'd saved a number or address I needed, so I regularly clean them all out.
    08-12-11 09:45 AM
    ...Can anyone else who saves their texts confirm this error? I think it's sticky worthy. ...
    I agree it should be a sticky. But would love to know as well if anyone who does not delete msgs is NOT getting this error/warning, and if not, how many sms (especially) and mms msgs you have saved.

...It might be deleting texts without me noticing though. That would also be *very* unwelcome.
    That would really suck. I have a friend who also has a 9650 and wants to replace it (I have been telling him to hold out for the 9930 since it was first rumored). He's a therapist and often texts w/patients for myriad reasons. I know he references them all the time.

There are so many reasons NOT to delete them, and therefor just as many reasons NOT to limit them.
    08-12-11 10:33 AM
    Wht do you guys have that many messages? What's the point of keeping them? I very rarely have the need to save a message and if I do I put it in saved texts, byt 22K texts? No need for that. I have my messages app set to keep any data for 15 days and then delete. If I don't need it then I'll never need it.

08-12-11 10:48 AM
    Really? That's strange 'cos I get this quite often with my 9700 - saying that memory is full and I need to delete SMS messages. Strange because I do not install many apps and memory is otherwise over 20MB free. Always thought a particular section of the memory was reserved for SMS or something.

Anyway was never an issue for me as text messages were not worth keeping after I'd saved a number or address I needed, so I regularly clean them all out.
    My 9700 has successfully held about 26k texts. After I removed all the duplciates from IPD merging it's roughly 20-23k and I never had that issue. Granted my RAM was always low, but I never ever got that warning.

First time I ever encountered this warning. Scared silly that it's nuking texts without telling me.

And it has 768 MB ram. Seriously, RIM should be able to handle any number of texts people decide to keep. iPhone people have ZERO issue holding on to their texts, same with android...

Shouldn't have to tell a company who made a high-spec phone that they need to make sure the OS can hold a lot of texts :S
    08-12-11 10:51 AM
    Wht do you guys have that many messages? What's the point of keeping them? ..
    Many reasons were given already, both personal and professional. That others routinely delete them is not the issue, but that others DO NOT delete them and NEED to retain them IS.

What is trying to be ascertained is if anyone who DOES keep them and has similar number of sms msgs (20K+) is NOT getting this error message/warning, and has NOT lost any that were transferred, nor any new ones.

We get that many of you have no need to retain yours, but I am hoping this topic serves to resolve the problem with this error and msg deletion for those of us who do.
    08-12-11 10:58 AM
    Wow. Just erase them. Big deal

Air Force One likes this.
    08-12-11 11:24 AM
    Wow. Just erase them. Big deal

How about I erase all your photos of you and your best friend (dog) shown in your avatar?

How would you feel if I said "Just erase them, big deal" after you started losing some of your pictures with you and your loved ones?

You'd be pretty insulted, I'm sure. Some people like hanging on to their experiences to serve as a reminder of how far we've come. I'm sure you're like that with you and your lil dawgie there.

Have some tact.

Thanks.
    kokoduck and Kyle. like this.
    08-12-11 11:40 AM
    bump no one else had this issue?
    08-14-11 09:07 PM
    How about I erase all your photos of you and your best friend (dog) shown in your avatar?
    literally lol'd. hahahahaha
    08-14-11 09:19 PM
    Stop bumping the thread...there's apparently only 2 or 3 of you text wh0res with this problem. "Oh, this should be a sticky" (laughing myself to sleep, thx)

Air Force One and Mr Bigs like this.
    08-14-11 10:15 PM
    Stop bumping the thread...there's apparently only 2 or 3 of you text wh0res with this problem. "Oh, this should be a sticky" (laughing myself to sleep, thx)

Excuse me?

This is not a problem because 2 or 3 people care to hold all of their text messages? I'm sure there are more people who like to keep all of their messages.

Bottom line: SMS/MMS messages are so small that storing 3 years of your texting/mmsing shouldn't be an issue. Seriously a fugging shame that this is the first and ONLY OS that has some real issues holding sms/mms. I suspect its the threaded view causing some swingui panel to use massive amounts of ram.

Fix it now RIM. I'm losing texts from 2.2 years ago with every new text I get. It shouldn't be a problem holding texts. I got my hands on an ipd source code, I may have to write my own ipd merging program so I can chunk it back into 1 file. I am not going to stop because some BS OS has some issue holding them.

Oh and, yes.. I'm a "textwh0re". Sorry I like to talk to people. Sorry people like to talk to me. You're obviously the type who laughs at your own jokes. *washes hands*

Good day.
    08-14-11 10:42 PM
    People are honestly asking why we keep SMSs? I love reliving a convo as someone replied.

Its amazing a year from now to go back and read what youu sent and received. I have around 18k messages and I'm not willing to erase them.

htc_maple likes this.
    08-14-11 10:54 PM
91 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD