Hello fellow blackberry users!
    I was hoping someone would be able to help me out with a problem I'm having with my Bold 9900. A couple of days ago I tried taking a few pictures and the phone just turned off on its own, like just powered off and I had to power it on again myself. Happened about twice and then started working fine on its own. And then the next day, my keyboard just stopped responding. Nothing would work, not the trackpad, not the end button, the call button or the back button I could use the touchscreen to navigate to different apps but once I opened anything I couldn't do anything. After a gazillon battery pulls it just started working by itself. Next day this happens again but no matter how many times I did a battery pull or powered on and off, I could not get the keyboard to start working. When I would press the "mute" key sometimes it would start dialing nmnn on its own and that's all it would do (the nmnn has happened a couple of times before but after one or two battery pulls would work just fine). After about 4 hours or so, the phone started working fine on its own.

What it does a lot these days is lock the screen by itself and no matter how many times I try to unlock it, it won't unlock! Everything just freezes!

Its getting slightly annoying now.

Anyone know what could be wrong or what I could do to fix this?

Phones about 2.5 years old minus a few falls here and there, I don't think its ever been severely damaged (no water damage of any sort).

Please help!
    05-30-14 08:39 PM
    Make sure your battery is in good and tight if not shove something in to tighten it up, also make sure the contacts are all clean and touching.
    05-30-14 09:19 PM
    Batteries can cause some of the strangest problems. We've used a contact lube that pretty much ended battery contact problems for us. I think its called deoxit, or similar. Seen both needle applicator and "white out" style bottle w brush floating around the office.

Otherwise, might be bad or loose keyboard connector? Or maybe just time for a new keyboard. $10 & 10 minutes to change.
    05-31-14 06:57 AM
    Hello fellow blackberry users!
    I was hoping someone would be able to help me out with a problem I'm having with my Bold 9900. A couple of days ago I tried taking a few pictures and the phone just turned off on its own, like just powered off and I had to power it on again myself. Happened about twice and then started working fine on its own. And then the next day, my keyboard just stopped responding. Nothing would work, not the trackpad, not the end button, the call button or the back button I could use the touchscreen to navigate to different apps but once I opened anything I couldn't do anything. After a gazillon battery pulls it just started working by itself. Next day this happens again but no matter how many times I did a battery pull or powered on and off, I could not get the keyboard to start working. When I would press the "mute" key sometimes it would start dialing nmnn on its own and that's all it would do (the nmnn has happened a couple of times before but after one or two battery pulls would work just fine). After about 4 hours or so, the phone started working fine on its own.

What it does a lot these days is lock the screen by itself and no matter how many times I try to unlock it, it won't unlock! Everything just freezes!

Its getting slightly annoying now.

Anyone know what could be wrong or what I could do to fix this?

Phones about 2.5 years old minus a few falls here and there, I don't think its ever been severely damaged (no water damage of any sort).

Please help!
    Make sure that the buttons are all clean and there are no small particles stuck in by the power button.
    Take a cotton bud dampen it slightly with a little bit of rubbing alcohol or a bit of vodka will do the trick as well and clean between the keys and all the struts.

Would also check what apps are left running open and memory, might be lagging severely

Posted via CB10 from my Z30
    05-31-14 07:05 AM
    Make sure that the buttons are all clean and there are no small particles stuck in by the power button.
    Take a cotton bud dampen it slightly with a little bit of rubbing alcohol or a bit of vodka will do the trick as well and clean between the keys and all the struts.

Would also check what apps are left running open and memory, might be lagging severely

Stuck key is a good idea. Since the op seemed to have some issue with "nmnn" maybe speck of something lodged tween N & M? ??

Good thought re memory, also.
    05-31-14 07:37 AM
    Thanks guys! I actually just bought a new battery from Ebay and I thought maybe it was the battery giving me problems but when I tried switching it out with my original battery, I was still having the same problem.
    I haven't tried cleaning out the keyboard, I'll attempt cleaning it with rubbing alcohol. I don't have many/any apps but I'll keep a closer eye on what's left open.

If cleaning the keyboard doesn't work - do we think it's an issue with the keyboard and I should just have it replaced?

I was hoping this phone would last me until the new bold comes out!
    05-31-14 12:27 PM
    Thanks guys! I actually just bought a new battery from Ebay and I thought maybe it was the battery giving me problems but when I tried switching it out with my original battery, I was still having the same problem.
    I haven't tried cleaning out the keyboard, I'll attempt cleaning it with rubbing alcohol. I don't have many/any apps but I'll keep a closer eye on what's left open.

If cleaning the keyboard doesn't work - do we think it's an issue with the keyboard and I should just have it replaced?

I was hoping this phone would last me until the new bold comes out!
    Not necessarily.
    Although there has been no major damage from drops, there is potential that this could have damaged something inside.

If cleaning the keyboard doesn't work and you don't notice any new issues cropping up and you have explored all the options
    The last resort I would suggest that should fix the issues, is backing up then security wipe but don't restore yet.
    See if the issue is fixed. If yes, restore things one at a time, like contacts etc.
    Check after each restore that all is in order, if you can avoid it, don't restore the apps re-add them one by one, so you can assess if it's potentially any of the apps causing the issue.

But I'm still thinking dirty keyboard, I would definitely make sure to give it a good clean first.

esskay7 likes this.
    05-31-14 12:53 PM
    So, I cleaned the keyboard as thoroughly as I possibly could, I was extra diligent around the n and m keys. As I was cleaning the keyboard, I noticed they keyboard die on me. Had to randomly click all the keys on the keyboard for about 5 minutes for it to power back on. Happened one more time after that but again - random clicking of the keyboard was able to bring it back to life.

Also - I checked the memory and noticed under "Application Storage" System memory took up about 274.1 MB (not quite sure I know what that is) and under the "Memory" tab 343 MB was going to System. Should I be concerned?

Thanks for all your help Missy! I'll keep security wipe in mind as a last resort *sigh*.
    06-01-14 01:03 PM
    I wouldn't use too much of that. I hear that drunk finger syndrome is worse than double typing because of the hangover (hangnail?).
    06-01-14 09:23 PM
    So, I cleaned the keyboard as thoroughly as I possibly could, I was extra diligent around the n and m keys. As I was cleaning the keyboard, I noticed they keyboard die on me. Had to randomly click all the keys on the keyboard for about 5 minutes for it to power back on. Happened one more time after that but again - random clicking of the keyboard was able to bring it back to life.

Also - I checked the memory and noticed under "Application Storage" System memory took up about 274.1 MB (not quite sure I know what that is) and under the "Memory" tab 343 MB was going to System. Should I be concerned?

Thanks for all your help Missy! I'll keep security wipe in mind as a last resort *sigh*.
    The qtip you used wasn't too damp right???

What's been happening with the device lately?
    If it seems slow and laggy, try see what apps you've got that's left open that could be using a lot of resources. You can see what's open by choosing to Switch Application

esskay7 likes this.
    06-06-14 02:44 PM
    No the Q-tip wasn't too damp... I think.
    So far it's been running okay. I did notice that it turned off on its' own one day last week but I was able to power it back on. Other than that - the keyboard has not died on me! Hoping it stays like this until the new classic comes out!!

I don't have a lot of apps (like 4 max and even those being facebook, twitter, BBM, whatsapp). Phones not too laggy - just mainly worried about the keyboarding issues.

Hm, I do have another issue that maybe you could help me out with? It's been on-going for a really long time, guess I've just learned to live with it so it has never been a huge concern to me. When I use the phone to make calls - the phone screen locks on its own. So, if I wanted to put the phone on speaker I can't because the screen doesn't come back to life unless I end the call.
    Anyone know why that might be happening?
    06-08-14 10:57 AM
    So far it's been running okay. I did notice that it turned off on its' own one day last week but I was able to power it back on. Other than that - the keyboard has not died on me! Hoping it stays like this until the new classic comes out!!

I don't have a lot of apps (like 4 max and even those being facebook, twitter, BBM, whatsapp). Phones not too laggy - just mainly worried about the keyboarding issues.

Hm, I do have another issue that maybe you could help me out with? It's been on-going for a really long time, guess I've just learned to live with it so it has never been a huge concern to me. When I use the phone to make calls - the phone screen locks on its own. So, if I wanted to put the phone on speaker I can't because the screen doesn't come back to life unless I end the call.
    Hmm, do you have an app for locking the the phone screen during a call? Doesn't your "$ key" shortcut toggle to speaker?
    esskay7 likes this.
    06-08-14 02:45 PM

Well if all is good then I wouldn't worry unless something happens again.

Check your lock screen settings.
    Look to see there's nothing set to lock the device when the screen turns off.
    My 9900's battery is dead and I can't remember what the settings looked like off hand.
    You could try post a screenshot if you're struggling.

I could always power up mine if necessary

esskay7 likes this.
    06-08-14 05:25 PM
    Did not know that the "$ key" would lead me to speaker! Thanks Idsteve!!

I'll check out the lock settings as well. I've never changed them before but maybe I've changed something by accident. Thanks so much for all your assistance @Missy!!
    06-14-14 06:43 PM
    Did not know that the "$ key" would lead me to speaker! Thanks Idsteve!!

I'll check out the lock settings as well. I've never changed them before but maybe I've changed something by accident. Thanks so much for all your assistance @Missy!!
    Very welcome esskay7
    Keep me posted on how you're coming along, particularly if this lock screen issue persists

06-15-14 01:44 AM
    I was playing around with some of the settings yesterday - couldn't find one that would help me with the screen blacking out issue when I make/take calls. I tried the "$" key out and it took me to speaker and brought my screen back to life! Yay

Anxiously waiting for the new classic!!!
    HershL likes this.
    06-15-14 01:27 PM
    I was playing around with some of the settings yesterday - couldn't find one that would help me with the screen blacking out issue when I make/take calls. I tried the "$" key out and it took me to speaker and brought my screen back to life! Yay

Anxiously waiting for the new classic!!!
    Glad to hear things are looking better on your end
    Going to charge up my 9900, so I can have a look through the settings for you properly

06-17-14 11:47 AM
    try replace your battery first!
    06-17-14 07:58 PM