Experts,

I have a major problem in my 9900.

I got the phone two weeks ago and i upgraded to version 540 (was the latest available back then) before switching devices.

The phone was working well, battery life was fair for the first 6 days. Afterwards, it kept going out of signal every now and then, i gave it few days with some battery pulls and it stayed the same.

I recalled that my SIM card is old and the issue might be because of it so i went and made SIM card repalcement. No effect.

I entered the forum and found the 585, so i installed it and the same result was immediate this time (not even after 6 days). I gave it a bit of time with battery pulls but no luck.

After a couple of days, i ran into the forum and found everyone pleased with 585 (OS)/540 (Radio) combination. So, i downloaded the 540 radio and followed the usual steps of full wipe... etc and unfortunately the result was the same!

So am kind of stuck at the moment and came up with only one conclusion; Hardware issue.

I'm just posting this now so that maybe i'm mistaken as i don't wanna lose the phone for a couple of days to complete the process of changing the device on warranty (if this will happen).

You're urgent assitance would be highly appreciated guys.

Cheers,
    Kareem
    12-19-11 05:07 AM
    most probably your carrier has reception issues inn your areas. + 9900 has metal bezel, which i have heard hinders in signal reception a Little bit!!, check you reception in your area with another 9900 and your sim card if possible.
    12-19-11 07:01 AM
    this may be network connected issue. A cell tower may be down. I am on .540 and no problem of the sort that you are having.
    12-19-11 09:50 AM
    Had the same problem with my 9900 on rogers. It was a unlocked phone that was purchased from RIM so I sent it back after I couldn't fix it. Currently I'm waiting for a new one to be sent back and will see if the issue is fixed

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

12-19-11 12:45 PM
    On my 9930, I've heard you can try:

Options >
    Networks and Connections >
    Mobile Network >
    Make sure "Network Technology" is set to "1XEV"

I heard this should help with reception (compared to the "global" setting), but I'm not sure if this applies to the 9900.
    Last edited by StumptownBold; 12-19-11 at 12:58 PM.
    12-19-11 12:54 PM
    most probably your carrier has reception issues inn your areas. + 9900 has metal bezel, which i have heard hinders in signal reception a Little bit!!, check you reception in your area with another 9900 and your sim card if possible.
    Well, same SIM card on my old Torch 9800 is working on 3G with no problem at all. Unforunately, no other 9900 at the moment around me to try it on but i doubt its something from my carrier.

this may be network connected issue. A cell tower may be down. I am on .540 and no problem of the sort that you are having.
    I don't think so because of what i've just mentioned above.

Had the same problem with my 9900 on rogers. It was a unlocked phone that was purchased from RIM so I sent it back after I couldn't fix it. Currently I'm waiting for a new one to be sent back and will see if the issue is fixed.
    Good luck with that And please keep us posted!

On my 9930, I've heard you can try:

Options >
    Networks and Connections >
    Mobile Network >
    Make sure "Network Technology" is set to "1XEV"

I heard this should help with reception (compared to the "global" setting), but I'm not sure if this applies to the 9900.
    I actually switched back to the Torch at the moment but i guess i'll give this a shot and see what happens.

I hope someone out there has this problem and somehow managed to resolve it.

Anyways, appreciate all your replies guys! If you got anything else on mind, please share it.

Cheers
    12-20-11 05:31 AM
    Any other suggestions?
    12-21-11 02:51 AM
    I have the issue. With 9700 and 9900. I tryed 3 9900.
    Don't worry, it's the network.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-21-11 03:10 AM
    I have the issue. With 9700 and 9900. I tryed 3 9900.
    Don't worry, it's the network.

You think so? Because the SIM card in my torch and at the same location is full and operating on 3G with no disconnection.

Have you managed to work it around?

Cheers mate
    12-21-11 05:55 AM
    You think so? Because the SIM card in my torch and at the same location is full and operating on 3G with no disconnection.

Have you managed to work it around?

Cheers mate

I changed twice my SIM card. I tryed the 9700 also the 9900. For a few days i have no issues. A few weeks ago is droved me crazy like ****.
    Someboday gave me some intern info. The network has problems here.

12-21-11 06:13 AM
    Thanks for the feedback.

But still my problem is not solved. Anyone to share any tips over here?

Cheers
    12-21-11 12:37 PM
    I gave up and sent it back to the operator i got it from. Waiting to get the replacement and hopefully with no hardware defects this time.

Thanks to those who have made their comments.

Merry X-mas and Happy New Year to all of you CrackBerrIERS.

Cheers everyone!
    12-26-11 04:52 AM
    same problem with my 9900, i purchased it 3 months ago. was working perfectly until i updated to .540 3 weeks back now no 3G signal at all. only 2G signal when i put on 3G goes to SOS or no service, i tried everything downgrading back to .296 still no 3G. put my sim to another phone 3G works good with full bars. check with service provider said nothing wrong at their end something wrong with the phone. just sick of it now. dunno what else to do. Using 9900 without 3G is just like using 8520 curve.
    12-26-11 05:11 AM
    getting really annoyed.................my 9900 randomly drops 3/4G signal and says SOS. I have to manually switch to 2G so texts and emails will send, then switch back to 3/4G. Evcen when I have a 3/4G signal, emails and texts "hang" for up to 10 seconds before sending. It's been happening for over a month, but getting worse. Rogers says it's an antennae issue but I'm not convinced. Anyone find a fix for this, aside from getting an iphone? I love and want to keep my berry.
    12-27-11 05:21 PM
    Got the same problem here. I just received my Blackberry 9900 quick thy swapped for a new one. Have the same bloody problem!

Very annoying, waiting for a software update i guess???
    01-04-12 04:29 PM
    I talked to another person today who also has a 9900, and he says his drops calls constantly and cannot find a signal. He's already on a replacement unit, and it's the same. Mine is so bad now, it's hindering my ability to work efficiently. I am seriously considering switching to a non BB device. I love my keyboard, but this phone has become a time waster trying to fix it so often. I have tried new battery and sim too, it helped for a bit, then it started doing it again
    01-04-12 05:40 PM
    Any other suggestions?
    Why not take it in and ask if you can get an immediate exchange right there in the store? (If that's possible of course) In Canada if the phone is still under warranty you can get a phone exchange immediately. Not sure how it works like that in every country.
    01-04-12 06:15 PM
    I would say resend the service books and then register the device again.
    01-04-12 06:52 PM
    Haven't read the other replies, but I upgraded to os .579 and no longer do I have shaky reception and sos signal... I 9times out of 10have full blast 4g service now, and I might get an sos signal for a few seconds once every few days if that.

Also, the .579 update made my browser super fast and made youtube stream flawlessly.
    01-04-12 10:03 PM
    Has anyone ever considered that this problem may be due to the power saving mode that the phone comes with. It may lose wireless signal just to save the energy in this mode
    09-19-12 08:01 PM
    Today mine just started hoppng between GSM ans SOS. . .what the . . .
    11-29-12 02:31 PM
    I just read the post of the OP, it might be a carrier issue as per maintenance or something else. Give your carrier a call and see if there is a service issue in/around your area. I had a similar thing happen last month, I called my carrier and the rep told me that there was some interruption going on. Hope you get back your services!
    11-29-12 03:08 PM
    Did you get this fixed? I think I'm gonna cry :'( mine is between GSM n SOS as well :'(
    02-13-13 11:51 AM
    It seems as if its an OS issue. I have tried everything possible on my 9900. Wipe, new device about 4 times, with none of my data on it, and connected to any network. Checked BBDA and noticed the drop. Do you guys also have the same problem with wifi as well? I somestimes get the message saying "Failed to associate with the network."

Oh and I have seen this issue on devices from OS7 to OS7.1. So its either a hardware issue or an OS issue, but I am leaning towards the OS issue since I have tried it on other devices as well (a few 9900's, 9810, 9360)

Thanks
    03-23-13 02:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD