Mine always charges mine to 100%. But without the pod it charges faster.
    Yes, direct USB port charge is always more secure and faster, but a pod is convenient and works as a nighttime clock too. A pod for 9780 worked well, but one for 9900 is a "?".
    I thought so many people (including myself) found the charging pod rather unreliable, hence the experimentation. I will try to devise something to secure the device downward in the pod, like some sort of ridge to latch the speaker opening etc, unless mfrs improve the pod. OEM pod has a slight ridge (lip) but very weak.
    07-02-12 03:01 AM
    i wish i had seen this thread before i got my charging dock. whether the blackberry official cradle (purchased right here from cb) or some after market cradle, i always have issues with the charging dock. my bold 9900 will give me the plug symbol instead of the lightning bolt even when NOT fully charged. there are too many people having issues with this for it not to be a problem with the way the charging contacts work on the 9900.
    03-06-13 05:05 PM
    I've only just got one of these, as I hadn't realised that they existed until now... for my wife's Bold which she loves.

Does it work? Does it feck....

It sort of does - but when the handset is dropped into it, you have apply both downward pressure and tip the handset back to get the little "charging" icon to appear on the handset screen, and it pops into bedside mode.

As soon as you let go - it tips back forward and raises slightly - contact is lost and charging stops. What a ****e design. An earlier post suggests that the very thin tab on the back of the dock, is meant to click into place into where you place your nail to remove the battery cover.

This was useful, as it was when I tipped the phone back to try make this connect and "dock" as it were, is where the handset needs to be to actually make contact with the battery pins and start charging. However, this very thin tab doesn't hold it in place. It's like its a potential design positive that is actually a flaw.

Poor overall - mine's going back as the phone simply won't sit naturally where it needs to actually charge, so it's just not fit for purpose.
    11-22-14 03:05 PM
    I have two pods and they work perfect for both of my BB9900's and my BB9930. I have had no problems and have had the pods for over two years.
    11-22-14 04:41 PM
    I bought 2 of the BlackBerry charging docks and they are/were useless.
    They do not support the phone and they both had intermittent connectors that eventually died completely.
    I then bought two aftermarket charging pods which had a design similar to the BlackBerry docks for the BB9780.
    One of these has an intermittent connection and the other is in daily use.
    I suspect poor quality solder joints between the Micro USB socket and the circuit board.
    11-24-14 05:08 PM
    My bold charges fine in the dock but my husbands (same make and model) won't charge at all
    11-29-16 02:36 AM
    My company probably has a hundred+ of these. Dozen+ each stationed on the breakroom table, conference room, I keep a spare in my cubicle as a courtesy for visiting coworkers... Etc.

Biggest problem is getting the device set squarely in the pod. Weight alone won't center device reliably if it's too far off center. A quick finger "jiggle" on top embedded in muscle memory years ago. Lol.

Also, it doesn't take much of a finger oil layer on the phone's contacts to impede 5 volts. Avoid touching them with fingers and clean them with dry cloth... Or alcohol or Ridox... Our docking pods get a tiny drop of deoxit gold when new.

Considering the numbers of the things we've used over the years, we've really had very few problems. Some phones do seem to vary and some around here think they noticed some differences in charging behavior with different OS versions... Others of us don't really believe OS version could impact charging so... ??? Idk.
    11-29-16 08:02 AM
    One thing about the pod chargers is that the 9900 has to sit PERFECTLY aligned with those contact points or it isn't going to work.

What really helps is turning Event Sounds to ON and when the 99 is sitting straight in the pod you will hear a sound when it starts charging.

Event sounds is cool because you will get a mild chirp when the battery is also fully charged but not loud enough to wake you if sleeping.

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    idssteve likes this.
    11-29-16 05:14 PM
    Biggest problem is getting the device set squarely in the pod. Weight alone won't center device reliably if it's too far off center. A quick finger "jiggle" on top embedded in muscle memory years ago. Lol.

Also, it doesn't take much of a finger oil layer on the phone's contacts to impede 5 volts. Avoid touching them with fingers and clean them with dry cloth... Or alcohol or Ridox... Our docking pods get a tiny drop of deoxit gold when new.
    Device has to sit properly on the pod but you can usually tell when it goes into sleep.
    I suppose the biggest problem is dirty contact points on both sides (device and pod). Once in a while I noticed that the pod charging does not quite complete, i.e., does not show full 99+ charge and stop at 95 etc. When this happens, I clean the contact points on both side using pencil eraser, and that usually solves the problem.
    idssteve likes this.
    11-29-16 06:01 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD