...but there are some users who are running .440 and have YTB.

(YTB = Yet To Brick)
    10-17-11 10:58 PM
    funnysun, the same thing just happened to my 9930. Went to sleep last night with a working device and a charged battery. When I took the device off the charger this morning it did nothing but slowly flash the red LED until the battery drained sometime in the afternoon. I took it to a Sprint store where they tried a different battery (that they confirmed by booting a different device) but the same thing as what you experienced. The tech could not diagnose the problem so after much haggling with Sprint customer service received a replacement code to take into a Sprint store which I will have to wait until after work tomorrow to invoke. I doubt very much that you are dealing with a battery issue at all.

Having profound regrets about bailing on T-Mobile and my 9700. Very concerned about RIM's future and I was not at all affected by the outage last week.
    10-17-11 11:07 PM
    I had the same problem and I did was remove the battery for
    at least a couple of times and then started to charge without
    turning on your BlackBerry from there began to appear a
    battery on the screen indicating that it was loaded and ready,
    should let it load and appear to do nothing is loading

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-17-11 11:15 PM
    i'm having the exact same problem, virgin mobile is sending me a new phone, guy told me it's fried.
    how long did you have your 9900 before it bricked? Is virgin charging you to replace the device or were you buying supplemental device coverage from them?
    10-17-11 11:16 PM
    had the same problem the other night. what i did was play with the power button, the red led vanished. did a battery pull for 10secs at least, then powered back on... worked normal, continued charging.

Maybe ensure the usb is inserted properly and that it is in charge? idk. it never happened again...
    10-18-11 12:37 AM
    Oh, same issue here http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...art-up-661059/

It's the second time it's doing this "trick". The first time I did what ryankidd17 did and it started working again... But now..... No luck!

Please help, I don't know what else to do.
    I'm stuck 2 weeks in a city different from mine with this broken phone. Luckily I had another phone to put the SIM into, but I can't use Internet on that phone.

I bought the phone from eBay (500€) so I can't bring it back to a Verizon store (and nobody sells 9930 here: all sell 9900).
    10-18-11 05:02 AM
    Same thing happened to my 9900 on Vodafone UK, red flashing light and completely unresponsive. They said it's a known fault and have had a lot come back so replaced it with a new one. Upgraded to .440 now so I hope its been fixed.
    10-18-11 05:09 AM
    What for those of us who imported it?
    10-18-11 05:37 AM
    It will still be under warranty with Blackberry so contact them to find out how you get it replaced wherever you are.
    10-18-11 05:42 AM
    There are no "BlackBerry stores" here... Al BBs are sold by carriers.
    But mine is a 9930, which is not available in my country: that **** eBay seller gave me a Verizon 9930 instead of a 9900...
    10-18-11 05:44 AM
    What for those of us who imported it?
    ...we have to hope that the problem cause is first identified - and then a fix is provided that we can apply ourselves, without having to send the phone off for repair!!

With so many users reporting this issue on their latest flagship model - we would hope that RIM are already aware of this and investigating.

How good it would be to hear something from RIM on this.

I have had to buy a second 9900, which may arrive tomorrow... but what happens it that unit also bricks itself?!!
    10-18-11 05:45 AM
    Same thing happened to my 9900 on Vodafone UK, red flashing light and completely unresponsive. They said it's a known fault and have had a lot come back so replaced it with a new one. Upgraded to .440 now so I hope its been fixed.
    How long have you had the phone? I had mine since the end of august and they insisted it get repaired
    10-18-11 05:48 AM
    I have had to buy a second 9900, which may arrive tomorrow... but what happens it that unit also bricks itself?!!
    I can't buy another one... I don't know about you, but I paid mine 500� only because it was imported and I bought 2 of those (the other one was for my father; his is working fine as of now...).
    I imported them because they weren't available for sale in my country yet. Now 9900s are officially available here too, but they cost 649�... I don't have that much money to spend...
    10-18-11 05:49 AM
    who told you it's a known fault? is there any official link about this "known fault"?
    thanks
    10-18-11 04:24 PM
    I have the same problem!!!!!!
    My phone doesn't turn on anymore. I tried everything already, even bought a new battery.
    I have a clean phone- not tied to any carrier and it cost me 800-900 usd. I have nowhere to go to....
    Is there a RIM office in NYC? I wanna show up there and flip out.
    I also went to the official forums on the blackberry website and started writing all of this and how I will switch to the iPhone, but they removed all of my posts. This situation is not cool......

10-25-11 02:24 PM
    My 9900 running .439 developed this fault today. Tested the battery in another handset and it works fine.

Bought it secondhand so really hope RIM get a fix out for this!
    Last edited by mikecupcake; 10-25-11 at 02:55 PM.
    10-25-11 02:53 PM
    Question: were your phones plugged in when the fault happened? In both cases when my 9930 broke it was plugged in (the first time to my computer; the second time to the charger).

Anyway...
    A person commented on my YouTube video and asked me if my phone was made in Mexico...
    Strangely, no, it wasn't. It was "Made in Canda"!
    So it's not another defect of the 9900/9930s made in Mexico...
    I tried with another battery too, and no luck.

I don't think it's an issue in a particular version of the OS, because I was running an older build (not .440).

I've sent it back and let's see if they can fix it (or, better, replace with a new one... I'm just crossing my finger).

I would never want to buy a toy like the iPhone, but after the 3-days-long BIS outage of early october and a 650€ flagship phone that simply breaks down suddenly.... I don't know what else to do.
    I'm really, really happy with a BlackBerry... But I need it to work, and to work fine!

Now, suppose I receive another 9900/9930, which is said to be "ok".
    How can I stay comfortable with it?
    Last time it broke down during the night, so the alarm didn't ring and I slept in. That time I "only" missed a class (which was not good, but not even that bad)... But what if the outage happened again? And I miss an exam, or a work appointment or something more important?
    How can I feel relaxed?
    10-25-11 03:42 PM
    Sadly another day passes and yet more 9900 users awake to a bricked device.

There is no new news on this, other than more users having the issue... but nobody seems to yet know what causes it.

It seems to affect users at the 30 to 40 day mark... which is interesting.

I am wondering how many users dont even know about this forum and are just reporting the fault to the carrier - surely somebody from RIM is aware of the large number of returns... yet we have no advise as to how we can avoid the issue - or revive a unit that has died.

My 2nd unit is working fine, but then it is only a week old.... my 1st unit had to be sent back to the overseas supplier - so I guess I shall have news on that in a few weeks time... meanwhile I had to cough up for a 2nd unit.
    10-25-11 10:37 PM
    Add me to the list of bricked 9900 users.. I was running leaked .440. Second time this happened to me. Two weeks ago it did this, and I was able to get it to come back pulling the battery and pressing the power button a few times. This time it did it and nothing I do can get it to come back.

I will say both instances were discovered in the morning, after plugging my phone in to charge at night. Just like everyone else....
    10-25-11 11:53 PM
    I've been running .440 a couple days after it was leaked, roughly halloween I'll have the device for 30 days so I'll comment back then. Mexico 4, Japan/Mexico battery by the way.
    10-26-11 12:03 AM
    I have the same problem!!!!!!
    My phone doesn't turn on anymore. I tried everything already, even bought a new battery.
    I have a clean phone- not tied to any carrier and it cost me 800-900 usd. I have nowhere to go to....
    Is there a RIM office in NYC? I wanna show up there and flip out.
    I also went to the official forums on the blackberry website and started writing all of this and how I will switch to the iPhone, but they removed all of my posts. This situation is not cool......

Gee - no kidding? I wonder why they'd do that...
    10-26-11 12:08 AM
    Even I faced the same trouble , woke up and it just went dead !

Have given it to the repair centre and hope they would replace it ..
    10-26-11 02:40 AM
    this just happened yesterday. i left my bb 9900 for a couple days without using it and yesterday i noticed that battery is running out, so i plugged into usb power and left it there for charging.
    the next thing i saw is slowing flashing red LED.
    first thing came to my mind was that device did not get charged. so I plugged into a pc and then my pc keeps showing device connected but not recognized (at this state, the LED on BB is showing red), after a few seconds, my pc shows device disconnected ( LED shows off at this state). after another few second (about 20 seconds) , red LED again and my pc showing deviced connected again. And yes I have latest blackberry manager installed.

this simply keeps on and off. it seems device trying to power off but cant and then reboot.....
    i tried pulling battery off, no use. in fact, this even happens when it's on battery.
    it's weird, it was working fine before i left it on table for charging.
    also, my bb was on latest firmware.
    through the entire process, my BB screen is totally black and does not show anything.
    anybody knows how to fix this ??
    At least yours still lights up. Mine doesnt even have a flashing LED. The screen's just blank. I tried a different battery but still wouldnt boot up. My phone's battery though worked on another 9930. So it's most likely a hardware issue.
    10-26-11 03:34 AM
    Second time this happened to me. Two weeks ago it did this, and I was able to get it to come back pulling the battery and pressing the power button a few times. This time it did it and nothing I do can get it to come back.

I will say both instances were discovered in the morning, after plugging my phone in to charge at night. Just like everyone else....
    Exact same here. First time managed (somehow, removing battery then restarting etc) to wake it up.
    Second time, "kaput".

Apparently, this is happening only when the phone is plugged in... To power sources and even PCs.

My 2nd unit is working fine, but then it is only a week old.... my 1st unit had to be sent back to the overseas supplier - so I guess I shall have news on that in a few weeks time... meanwhile I had to cough up for a 2nd unit.
    Actually, I bought 2 units too. 2 9930s, ordered the same day etc.
    The second one was for my dad... Well, his has always worked perfectly.
    So it's also random....
    10-26-11 06:23 AM
    Question: were your phones plugged in when the fault happened? .... So it's not another defect of the 9900/9930s made in Mexico...
    Yes, plugged into the mains charger overnight. Mine says it was made in Hungary.

Luckily my secondhand phone was originally sold to another O2 user so their warranty still covers it, on the phone to them now arranging sending it out for testing.
    Last edited by mikecupcake; 10-26-11 at 08:44 AM.
    10-26-11 07:14 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD