So much bashing on this, thought I would just share my 2 cents on how to use a simple method to take a good close up shot. Instead of holding your Bold close up to the object (say a paragraph), hold your bold further away from the object, make sure you have a steady aim, then use the digital zoom to zoom in the object you want and shoot..the result will be much better than a typical close up..
    johnmarki, tkong, Masahiro and 2 others like this.
    08-12-11 04:51 AM
    Let's figure out workarounds to a crappy camera 1 day after camera launches. No thanks. Plus crackberry shots show it is not just extreme close up problems

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-11 07:21 AM
    Let's figure out workarounds to a crappy camera 1 day after camera launches. No thanks. Plus crackberry shots show it is not just extreme close up problems

So instead of working with a solution, you just ***** and whine? I wonder how people can stand you in real life situations when things don't go your way. Pathetic.

08-12-11 07:28 AM
    I think people forget that 5 megapixels is a lot. You can actually zoom in quite a bit. So I think this method should work fine for people trying to take pictures of documents etc.
    chiefbroski likes this.
    08-12-11 07:49 AM
    Thanks for the workaround OP. I'll happily try it if TMO would hurry up and release this already.

08-12-11 07:58 AM
    So instead of working with a solution, you just ***** and whine? I wonder how people can stand you in real life situations when things don't go your way. Pathetic.

He's right, it's not just close-ups. And what do we have here, Spy v. Spy types who always take pictures of documents? I can count the times that I've had to do that on one hand. I use my BB camera to take pictures of other things, as most people do -- including "business people" who are wrongly supposed to be above or to not care about the camera -- and the EDoF camera on the 9900 is decidedly inferior for those purposes.

Yes, people have been whining about it a lot, but it's a quite fair and valid criticism of the device. As I mentioned elsewhere, I'm quite sure every reviewer will single it out for this defect. Haven't you ever read CNET reviews? They always have a camera shot included.
    howarmat likes this.
    08-12-11 08:09 AM
    If the alleged workaround destroys the purpose of the item, you bet ill make a comment. I don't feel a twinge of guilt about demanding a decent camera in a phone. This is late 2011 folks, not 2007

What is extremely frustrating is what this alleged flagship phone tells us about rim. Incompetance, laziness. Lack of common sense

08-12-11 08:36 AM
    mann... this topic has been beaten to death!!
    YES the camera is not good... YES it has been mentioned before... YES RIM made a mistake.. YES it's 2011 and camera's on phones are important to more and more people these days especially with social media etc.. YES it sucks that it doesn't take all the crazy photos you want.. YES it might say a lot about the decisions and the situation RIM is in now...YES it's Sh!t... YES i have taken pics of documents and other macro type pictures before and i will miss doing that..

drop it already! WE cannot do anything about it!! if the camera is more important to you then what the rest of the phone does GO GET the 9810, 9850/60 with auto focus...

If you like the form factor, the speed, the keyboard and everything else then stop whining.. cause for me everything else about this phone IS GOLDEN!!

after refreshing with .317 i tried to see how many apps this thing can download at once... i was downloading 10 apps at once from app world and was still able to navigate through to te browser and download bebuzz, berry weather, which at that time it started to lag.. and my phone was setup and ready to go in a record time after a Clean OS install..

id rather a device do that then take good pictures!! i understand other devices can do that and take good pictures but again it's been mentioned!! i have my DSLR for good pictures.. these pictures will do to post on FB, twitter, foursquare and quick pictures... the video recording is pretty good as well ..
    Last edited by knowledge_6; 08-12-11 at 08:58 AM.
    08-12-11 08:55 AM
    there is a simple solution to all the doomsayers: go and get a AF phone. Why rant over and over again how bad bold is how stupid RIM is because it does not have a AF phone..it just show how silly you are as if the world owes you something. go get a cheap AF phone and be happy..by the way, the bold 9900 camera while not outstanding is still a pretty decent camera...most of those who rant and cry have apparently have not even tried it but just part of the crowd who so enjoy bashing blackberry shortcomings - a very popular theme in the tech world these days..pathetic people

08-12-11 08:56 AM
    Who said the world owes me something? Rims owes it itself not to put out half assed products.

Fantastic keyboard, fast os and then crappy camera and possibly bad battery. Does not compute

08-12-11 09:11 AM
    there is a simple solution to all the doomsayers: go and get a AF phone. Why rant over and over again how bad bold is how stupid RIM is because it does not have a AF phone..it just show how silly you are as if the world owes you something. go get a cheap AF phone and be happy..by the way, the bold 9900 camera while not outstanding is still a pretty decent camera...most of those who rant and cry have apparently have not even tried it but just part of the crowd who so enjoy bashing blackberry shortcomings - a very popular theme in the tech world these days..pathetic people

To a person who has zero brand loyality or someone who isn't used to RIM making the highest quality product this issue would have little to no meaning - to an individual who feels like RIM is an old dear friend this issue causes real concern.

A) RIM's determination to put a junk camera in it's flagship means it knows it's totally lost the sector of the "business community" who needs their smartphone to take even average pictures so it's going after the "teen wolf crowd".

B) RIM was in deeper money problems then people realize and didn't have the money to purchase even a 3.2 MP AF camera to put into their flagship. A 3.2 MP AFcamera OUTSHOOTS what's in the 99xx.
    Fr3lncr and bhavi_jp like this.
    08-12-11 09:16 AM
    Who said the world owes me something? Rims owes it itself not to put out half assed products.

Fantastic keyboard, fast os and then crappy camera and possibly bad battery. Does not compute

i never knew a camera makes half the phone!?

battery is great .. first day it was poor and i was getting discharge rate of 8-10% an hour..

the last two days i've been getting 2-3% discharge an hour..

so again YES THIS WAS A F*** UP .. what are you gonna do? either buy it or another blackberry or move on and go buy something else.. simple
    08-12-11 09:24 AM
    BTW, I tried the OP's suggestion. Didn't really notice any improvement :-(

Maybe someone will make an aftermarket add-on to fix it :-) (Pre-populated response: Yeah... it's called a real camera...)

Oh well...
    08-12-11 09:26 AM
    To a person who has zero brand loyality or someone who isn't used to RIM making the highest quality product this issue would have little to no meaning - to an individual who feels like RIM is an old dear friend this issue causes real concern.

A) RIM's determination to put a junk camera in it's flagship means it knows it's totally lost the sector of the "business community" who needs their smartphone to take even average pictures so it's going after the "teen wolf crowd".

B) RIM was in deeper money problems then people realize and didn't have the money to purchase even a 3.2 MP AF camera to put into their flagship. A 3.2 MP AFcamera OUTSHOOTS what's in the 99xx.

your sources???

i'm not trying to FIGHT for RIM here but you gotta find some hard facts before u can make those claims.. cause I DO agree the camera is sh!t and I do agree it was a mistake! but there is nothing u can do !! ur on sprint.. have u even used the device yet?

cause from what i know the 9850/60 and 9810 have 5.0 MP Auto focus cameras.. i guess they ran out of money to put in the 9900 right?
    Last edited by knowledge_6; 08-12-11 at 09:30 AM.
    08-12-11 09:27 AM
    just wanted to throw in my 2 cents..
    howarmat likes this.
    08-12-11 09:31 AM
    [/B]

your sources???

i'm not trying to FIGHT for RIM here but you gotta find some hard facts before u can make those claims.. cause I DO agree the camera is sh!t and I do agree it was a mistake! but there is nothing u can do !! ur on sprint.. have u even used the device yet?

cause from what i know the 9850/60 and 9810 have 5.0 MP Auto focus cameras.. i guess they ran out of money to put in the 9900 right?
    With zero information from RIM as to why they pulled this stunt those suggestions I gave were simply my interpretation of the jungle drums that have beating since we first started seeing examples of the horrific pictures the 99xx takes.
    08-12-11 09:33 AM
    BTW, I tried the OP's suggestion. Didn't really notice any improvement :-(

Maybe someone will make an aftermarket add-on to fix it :-) (Pre-populated response: Yeah... it's called a real camera...)

Oh well...
    On a "fixed focused" camera that work around wouldn't make much if any difference on the quality of a shot. The camera is simply worthless for business applications. I'm sure it takes "OK" pictures in low light at an under 21 night club or Prom night.
    08-12-11 09:37 AM
    With zero information from RIM as to why they pulled this stunt those suggestions I gave were simply my interpretation of the jungle drums that have beating since we first started seeing examples of the horrific pictures the 99xx takes.
    I C .. i dunno how true it is, but there is an analyst article that mentions RIM has just over 2 billion in cash at hand and an operating budget of about 4 Billion last year..

so i don't think money was an issue.. it was something / someone else that F***'d up with the camera part of the device..

and for me the other aspects of the device are WAY more important so maybe that's why i don't really care about the camera..
    08-12-11 09:38 AM
    just wanted to throw in my 2 cents..
    I see your 2 cents and raise by 1 cent.
    ericlc2 likes this.
    08-12-11 10:20 AM

Lets sign up to a message board to complain about everything.

as opposed to what? what are you comparing this to?

an iphone? did you forget antennagate that fast?
    samsung and droid phones,, with poor security and battery life and pending lawusits for ripping off peoples designs?

what are you comparing this to?

you probably think facetime was a revolutionary feature apple thought of.. go back to your cave troll.
    simsim likes this.
    08-12-11 10:35 AM
    Wow. More intelligent responses. I don't really care about other comapnies' messes are. I care that this phone is messed up, and rim should care it lost an easy sale from at least me.

jedimstr397 likes this.
    08-12-11 10:51 AM
    mann... this topic has been beaten to death!!{snip}

drop it already! WE cannot do anything about it!! {snip}

id rather a device do that then take good pictures!! i understand other devices can do that and take good pictures but again it's been mentioned!!{snip}
    Dude: I'd advise you to stay away from any reviews of the phone. Because it is going to be mentioned again. And again. And again.

You may not care, but most people who buy smartphones -- particularly those purporting to be high-end or flagship models -- do.
    bhavi_jp likes this.
    08-12-11 11:15 AM

Wow. More intelligent responses. I don't really care about other comapnies' messes are. I care that this phone is messed up, and rim should care it lost an easy sale from at least me.

yeah..RIM a multi billion company with steady growth worldwide will lose sleep because chansterbold is in the minority of people who doesnt like the bold 9900.

Youre constantly impressing people with your intelligence.
    08-12-11 12:13 PM
    they could compensate this with a software change, some cheap cameras use software for AF
    08-12-11 12:32 PM
    yeah..RIM a multi billion company with steady growth worldwide will lose sleep because chansterbold is in the minority of people who doesnt like the bold 9900.

Youre constantly impressing people with your intelligence.
    As a loyal RIM customer for the last 6 years and a member of the business community who has watched nearly EVERY BB user migrate to Droid or iphone I can assure you chansterbold isn't "the minority".

RIM is getting an increasing share of a deminishing market and people who are in denial of this fact are helping RIM continue to stuff it's own head up you know what.

If you think the comments are negative here on a pro blackberry forum I fear your eyebrows will shoot off the top of your forehead when the professional reviews start to come in and RIM's "flagship" starts getting "rendered" down.

Nearly every positive write-up on the 99xx phones come right out and say they are RIM's "Flagship Device"....
    ...Unless a new meaning has been poured into this well established term we have a problem.

(Business / Marketing) a single item from a related group considered as the most important, often in establishing a public image, i.e. the nine o'clock news is the flagship of the BBC.

The best or most important one of a group or system: This store is the flagship of our retail chain.

'The "BEST" or most important one of a group or system"????
    ...Having an EDOF camera removes the possibility of the 99xx being a Flagship.
    08-12-11 12:33 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD