Ok so I got a chance to try out this phone yesterday and tried out the camera -

Camera 5 Mega pixel

So I have been hearing all types of nonsense about how the Camera is not auto focus - well its true that its not auto focus but its a 5 mega pixel camera, with continuous focus. Now Let me tell you straight since I am a photographer and I know what looks good or bad when it comes to imagery and quality of picture.

I tried the camera in the local store FutureShop in this case, and its was excellent, colorful, balanced, clear and sharp with no problems to report. I took a few shots in the store and it was perfectly clean and clear with no fuzzy's or jagged / blurry imagery

Video Camera 720P

I then tested the 720 P Video Camera - the same experience fast clean video capture with no problems, it was clear, not blurry and crispy too. I was able to pan with no lag and the overall experience functional and proper, good quality top marks as well.

So if anyone is complaining about the camera on this phone .. its User Error in my opinion "replace the user and try again"
    08-28-11 12:39 PM
    So did you try to take a picture close up?

I have no issues with the phones camera abilities for shots at a distance.

However I have not been able to replicate an acceptable shot of a receipt, document or any of that nature that was up to par of my Bold 9650 with autofocus.
    08-28-11 12:43 PM
    Judging from the result you see on your phone isn't entirely all-telling of the image quality. Unless you don't plan on sharing your pictures in any way, the quality of the actual image itself is different when uploaded to a computer or something.
    08-28-11 12:45 PM
    I will take photos with the 9900 when I get a chance at one again and upload the photos they were up close sharp clean pics
    08-28-11 12:48 PM
    Judging from the result you see on your phone isn't entirely all-telling of the image quality. Unless you don't plan on sharing your pictures in any way, the quality of the actual image itself is different when uploaded to a computer or something.
    Very true, pretty considerable difference in still shots on a PC screen, but the video is quite good actually.
    08-28-11 12:53 PM
    Overall, the camera is fine in my opinion. I went in knowing it wasn't going be the best in the smartphone line-up. In day light standing a reasonable distance away the phone takes good photos. I've taken a few pictures arms length away and the flash can really white out a persons skin. Still good quality even that close. At night I found you can take decent photos from a few feet away. Close enough for the flash to work.

The only time the phone takes less than desirable photos with with movement. Very blurry. Other than that it's done me just fine. And if you're honestly taking photos of something closer than arms length away is the only reason you might want to consider another device. If that's an important to you for work anyway.
    08-28-11 01:00 PM
    As a photographer would you agree theres way too much noise in the pictures?
    08-28-11 01:11 PM
    It's okay in my opinion...but my iPhone 4 took better. I find most picture a tad grainy.
    08-28-11 01:29 PM
    As a photographer would you agree theres way too much noise in the pictures?
    I will do a full run around with the images shortly phone to computer and back on the phone it looks excellent, if it changes on a computer .. thats a whole different story.

but as a RULE grain usually happens when there is NOT enough light, its not the quality of camera. So I would say either use the flash or go some where where there is more light. IE or bring a light into the shot.

just a side note: Mega pixels are only for print sizes for the most part, the bigger the mega pixels the larger the print you can make
    Last edited by vx1; 08-28-11 at 02:18 PM.
    08-28-11 01:54 PM
    I was worried at first, mostly about scanning QR codes and stuff but I've found the pictures I've taken with the 9900 for the most part have turned out fantastic. For close up shots I just use the digital zoom and stand firther back.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-11 02:01 PM
    I will take photos with the 9900 when I get a chance at one again and upload the photos they were up close sharp clean pics
    i so dont believe this, tolerable close up (esp. text) yes, but sharp clean no way possible for now.
    08-28-11 02:19 PM
    A buddy of mine that I was able to convert from the iPhone to the 9930 was absolutely raving about the camera the other day. I think some people are just too picky.
    08-28-11 02:26 PM
    A buddy of mine that I was able to convert from the iPhone to the 9930 was absolutely raving about the camera the other day. I think some people are just too picky.
    Must've converted from the original iPhone.
    08-28-11 02:45 PM
    i so dont believe this, tolerable close up (esp. text) yes, but sharp clean no way possible for now.
    Yes, thats what I was trying to get across.

Which iPhone? I had the iPhone 4 and that camera is much better.
    08-28-11 03:00 PM
    ok here are 2 pics taken with a BB 9900, I did not take them a friend of mine
    did, I don't have the phone yet ..

these pics were sent via email
    onto a computer so ..there was nothing wrong with the image
    via internet. There is nothing wrong with these images.

if you wanna see my pro shots goto slrjam.com
    Last edited by vx1; 08-28-11 at 04:12 PM.
    08-28-11 04:02 PM
    alright here are some awesome pics with 9900 see this thread hehe

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...0/index13.html
    08-28-11 05:14 PM
    Alright guys...looks like I am going to eat a bit of crow here and I can admit that.

While its not as sharp as my 9650, I did start experimenting more and was able to produce this;

It does look better on the phone (which is when I'd be looking at it) but this looks to be acceptable for my needs.
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    08-29-11 09:09 AM
    Alright guys...looks like I am going to eat a bit of crow here and I can admit that.

While its not as sharp as my 9650, I did start experimenting more and was able to produce this;

It does look better on the phone (which is when I'd be looking at it) but this looks to be acceptable for my needs.

Not bad, what are your settings? Light etc.
    08-29-11 10:14 AM
    Not bad, what are your settings? Light etc.
    I was using the "Close Up" setting along with zoom and just using whatever light was available in my dining room.
    08-29-11 10:15 AM

So if anyone is complaining about the camera on this phone .. its User Error in my opinion "replace the user and try again"
    What a tool...
    08-29-11 11:24 AM
    Must've converted from the original iPhone.
    It was I have no idea how he made it last that long.
    08-29-11 11:32 AM
    well finally after twenty years of mostly mediocre golf i achieved sublime excellence with my first hole in one on a 225 yard par three using a....driver ....of all clubs. but i digress.
    i attempted to capture this momentous occasion with my brand new 9900 and its bitchin' 5 mp camera.....only to end up with two of the worst photos ever taken by mankind.i dont mean the subject, the image composition or the image quality. let me put it this way...it took me 45 minutes to properly color correct the images at my local walmart photo kiosk.the color balance was to put it mildly waaaay off. red and blue saturation color tones dominated the image. before you ask, yes i tried several different camera settings. i started out with default picture taking mode. i cant figure out why the color balance would be so bad. i do notice in general that this camera tends to take images in the with red and blue being tones. but not like what i ended up with. i do have some pretty good photosbut in this case i took 8 photos in total. every one of them being poor. is it just me or is this camera on the flagship bb device sub standard ?
    Last edited by mfreedmn_97; 10-03-11 at 06:06 PM.
    10-03-11 06:00 PM
    ok here are 2 pics taken with a BB 9900, I did not take them a friend of mine
    did, I don't have the phone yet ..

Click to view quoted image
    Click to view quoted image

these pics were sent via email
    onto a computer so ..there was nothing wrong with the image
    via internet. There is nothing wrong with these images.

if you wanna see my pro shots goto slrjam.com
    Nice pics, but who installed the stereo? They scratched the s*$t out of the dash.
    10-03-11 06:26 PM
    What a tool...
    He's not a tool. The 9900 takes excellent pictures. The only tool here is you. Everyone is busy ******** about crappy pictures with no auto focus, but it takes better pictures than my 9780 did - all day long. I guess some people have no clue and simply just want to be on the "Let's diss RIM bandwagon", you being one of them.
    10-03-11 07:32 PM
    I'm quite happy with the 9900 camera, took this today:
    10-20-11 05:25 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD