I know there are loads of threads about the bricked issue but I would like to compare some additional information.
    I bought a broken one off ebay thinking I could fix it with a simple software update but no not that easy haha.

Never had a blackberry but was looking forward to playing with it assuming i could fix it.
    Anyway it does not turn on and has the red LED and tried several different builds but always gets stuck at the reconnecting to jvm. The guy said it went right low on power and then re-charged and was broken.
    Tried all the methods etc.

My question, should i keep it and wait for RIM to send out a software fix and get a relatively cheap Bold 9900 or should I resell it as broken on ebay with a lesson learned

Ok additional information.
    I got my volt meter on the battery, the battery is stated to be 3.7v and is currently 3.3v compared to my Dell Venue Pro which has a 3.7v battery and is currently at 70% charge but reading 3.95v. Battery dead?? Too dead to charge and would need to be forced a charge using a power supply? Is that why it does not turn on?

Also the battery has 4 points of conduct, the outer two i guess are for giving the phone power as they produce the 3.3v while to middle two are for charging.
    On the Dell phone when plugged into the usb on the PC they are producing 0.15v meaning it is putting that amount of power into the battery.

The Bold however is flickering between 0.01 and 0.00 so broken power unit in the phone and no software fix?

Have not found a thread where someone has used a volt meter to measure the phone.

Thanks and this is my first post
    12-22-11 01:14 PM
    @m0n0t0k

it's great that people put their effort into the brick issue, i'm also a tripple frustrated 9900 user, with three bricks now,but they do great by decorating the x-mas tree

but I also like to say to you , been there done that...
    the battery contact you subscribed for charging points only charge when the phone system is up and running, for example i experimented also with different setups between my bricks, like putting a battery from a bricked device into a working 9900 , and it charged normaly.before charging the battery was completely empty,so the charging overnight with drained battery below 10 % (main reason for bricking 9900's/9930's) did brick my phone but didn't even charge my battery. so i charged the battery from my bricked device with the help of a non bricked 9900 and it charged normal, used the battery for two days without letting the battery drain below 10 % (just in case)

so I guess we're still far from a solution I'm losing faith in RIM (first time in almost 10 years) and hope they'll take serious action to resolve this issue and providing the people with bricked devices with a fix .

developing and invent new technology demand a prize when competed between marketleaders, as long there is a competition between different brands on the market , there will be bugs and bricks.I hope bb10 can compensate a huge appology for my lost hope in RIM's customer service...
    12-23-11 06:52 PM
    From my understanding, it should still have the 1 year manufacturer's warranty. Couldn't you just get it replaced?
    12-23-11 07:02 PM
    From my understanding, it should still have the 1 year manufacturer's warranty. Couldn't you just get it replaced?
    Sure I can , but been for more then a month on this endless trainrail,cause my second , third time replace (refurbished) device also bricked when charging overnight, so i'm not believing in that kind of solution no more, the one and only true solution have to come from RIM to put an end on this non stable os7 issue or bug .

plan B is taking all my bricks and throw them on ebay for spare parts,
    the only thing that stops me from doing such things is the official press release from RIM, admitting this issue due os7 related software problems, and the assured it is just a software issue and they're working on a fix .
    but that statement is from 19 nov 2011 , more then a month ago, and other news about the fix progress is like fog in the night,let me say NO NEWS at all
    12-23-11 07:33 PM
    Well I can not as the warranty is non transferable but I have decided to put it on eBay as broken, I know RIM said they are working on a fix but like dntfreak said it was over a month ago
    12-24-11 09:02 AM
    I know there are loads of threads about the bricked issue but I would like to compare some additional information.
    I bought a broken one off ebay thinking I could fix it with a simple software update but no not that easy haha.

Never had a blackberry but was looking forward to playing with it assuming i could fix it.
    Anyway it does not turn on and has the red LED and tried several different builds but always gets stuck at the reconnecting to jvm. The guy said it went right low on power and then re-charged and was broken.
    Tried all the methods etc.

My question, should i keep it and wait for RIM to send out a software fix and get a relatively cheap Bold 9900 or should I resell it as broken on ebay with a lesson learned

Ok additional information.
    I got my volt meter on the battery, the battery is stated to be 3.7v and is currently 3.3v compared to my Dell Venue Pro which has a 3.7v battery and is currently at 70% charge but reading 3.95v. Battery dead?? Too dead to charge and would need to be forced a charge using a power supply? Is that why it does not turn on?

Also the battery has 4 points of conduct, the outer two i guess are for giving the phone power as they produce the 3.3v while to middle two are for charging.
    On the Dell phone when plugged into the usb on the PC they are producing 0.15v meaning it is putting that amount of power into the battery.

The Bold however is flickering between 0.01 and 0.00 so broken power unit in the phone and no software fix?

Have not found a thread where someone has used a volt meter to measure the phone.

Thanks and this is my first post
    can you check all the current in/out pins on device and see if some voltage control mechanism is broken or so.
    12-24-11 10:36 AM
    can you check all the current in/out pins on device and see if some voltage control mechanism is broken or so.
    Erm how would I know if the voltage control mechanism is broken? On my windows phone when plugged into a USB there is 0.15v from the middle two and nothing on the outer two.

On this there is nothing on the inner two but 1.52v on the outer two hmmm
    12-25-11 10:43 AM
    3.3v on a lithium battery means it is completely dead. If you have some way to apply 5v to those two terminals for about an hour you could see if it will raise the measured voltage. If you can get it up to 4 v without the charging voltage applied that would represent a good charge on the battery.
    CAUTION...do not mix up + and - and DO NOT over charge. DO NOT short the terminals. 4.2v reading without the charging voltage applied is playing with fire literally. DO NOT leave this unattended and do it on a good fire proof surface with no flammables near by.
    If the battery gets warm...STOP. AT YOUR OWN RISK! of course.
    monotok likes this.
    12-25-11 11:12 AM
    3.3v on a lithium battery means it is completely dead. If you have some way to apply 5v to those two terminals for about an hour you could see if it will raise the measured voltage. If you can get it up to 4 v without the charging voltage applied that would represent a good charge on the battery.
    CAUTION...do not mix up + and - and DO NOT over charge. DO NOT short the terminals. 4.2v reading without the charging voltage applied is playing with fire literally. DO NOT leave this unattended and do it on a good fire proof surface with no flammables near by.
    If the battery gets warm...STOP. AT YOUR OWN RISK! of course.
    Well my uncle has used a power supply to charge many dead batteries so I'll see if he can charge it back up to a good voltage and then maybe I can un-brick my device!
    12-25-11 12:34 PM
    I've been having a similar issue to what's been mentioned on this thread. I let my battery die and when I attempt to charge it, all that happens is the light will turn red for a couple minutes and then shut off for a few minutes. Repeat process.

Of course, I occasionally get excited when the screen turns on, but it just displays the "Low Battery" icon and then goes back to the same cycle. On other forums I've looked at, people mention having to "jumpstart" the battery sort of, but I'm wondering--would this charger do the trick? I figure even if it doesn't, at least I'd have the spare battery that would keep working, but I just wanted to see if anyone had experience with this charger and such.

Edit: I have fixed my phone. All I did was do a clean install of BB Desktop Manager and then plugged the phone in with it running. It updated the OS and fixed the issue completely. Phew. Now I'll just never let my phone die again...
    Last edited by akbellerive; 12-27-11 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Added information
    12-27-11 07:00 AM
    If a li-ion battery has a ground potental below 2,8 V it will never take charge.

Hence the electornics shuts down the battery if it gets below 3,2 V.
    Well I have used a powe supply to force a charge onto the battery, it is now at 3.86v which is a good enough charge on the battery, about 50% i would say.
    The phone does not seem to be charging it still and i have not been able to recover it as yet
    12-27-11 08:44 AM
    Well I have used a powe supply to force a charge onto the battery, it is now at 3.86v which is a good enough charge on the battery, about 50% i would say.
    The phone does not seem to be charging it still and i have not been able to recover it as yet
    off the record : the battery of bricked devices (9900/9930) are not broken , they are just drained, i charged all of my bricks their batteries into a working device and they do all well, but that's not "the" solution to fix your bricked device.

if it's really an os7 related softwareproblem like rim officially stated, maybe we'll have to try downgrading to os6 , if it works then we can see if it still get stuck in the famous reloop cycle , os6 can be found for both bold devices 9900/9930,

i agree that we all try to fix our bricks our way because rim does not take their responsebilaty to us as a customer, we have the right to know what's happening with our +600$ bricks... and again...Rim... SHAME ON YOU
    12-31-11 03:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD