01-05-12 09:10 PM
38 12
tools
    Opps...I meant the special alarm clock I purchased?? They both look identical I guess that is one app that Im going to have to delete if I don't want it running? I have tried closing it out and it still shows as running
    Your Blackberry can already set an unlimited number of alarms, you do not need an app
    01-04-12 06:05 AM
    Alright, you're going to have to bear with me here. I'm pretty technology handicapped (seriously).

When I hold down the BB logo button, I get the following:

Home

BatteryPlus

Options

Setup

Phone

Crush The Zombies (game)

Clock

Nobex Radio

Google Maps

Ultimate Maps

Browser

BB Messenger

Is this list fairly normal or not?

That's too many apps running in the background. On a BlackBerry some apps auto exit when you keep pressing the "back" key. But... Some do not. For the ones that do not you usually will need to select the BlackBerry menu key while in the app and then choose "Exit" or "Shut Down" or even "Close". Be sure to check each app for this behavior. Again just hold down the BB key to see all apps that are running.

On a fresh restart or after closing all apps you should have these still running: Home, Phone, Browser, BBM, and Messages. These are the phone's core services apps and can not be shut down.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    01-04-12 06:34 AM
    Start with at least pulling your battery.

Then some of this "stuff" may need to be stopped from running in it's settings.

We bet this will make a HUGE difference.
    01-04-12 06:46 AM
    Trust me, it wasn't my intention to have a bunch of stuff running that is sucking power without me knowing it.

When I want to close something, like a game, I would just hit the back button and the game would go away. I didn't know it was still running until someone pointed it out here. Now that I know I have to purposefully close them to get them to stop running, I will do that from now on.
    hold the back button to close unwanted apps

if you can't do that then you suck at blackberry
    01-04-12 10:04 AM
    Google can be closed, FYI.
    Yes very true...
    01-04-12 10:54 AM
    2 map apps? Gah. Leaving GPS-enabled apps active, as well as any games or streaming apps (Nobex) will chew through your battery like locusts through a wheat field! Always always always exit completely out of your apps when you are done, and check your AppSwitcher (holding the BB key down) to make sure.

Battery issues with the 9900 have largely been resolved at this point. You should be running OS .540, .585, or .590. If you can't get a solid day (12-16 hours) of normal use (not counting heavy phone calls, speakerphone, lots of streaming, or constant map access), you should demand an exchange on your battery, or on the entire device. That's about what I get out of mine, on .585, bridged all day to my PB, wifi always on at home, and using SocialScope, WhatsApp, and BBM frequently.
    01-04-12 11:13 AM
    Alright, you're going to have to bear with me here. I'm pretty technology handicapped (seriously).

When I hold down the BB logo button, I get the following:

Home
    BatteryPlus
    Setup
    Phone
    Crush The Zombies (game)
    Clock
    Nobex Radio
    Google Maps
    Ultimate Maps
    Browser
    BB Messenger

Is this list fairly normal or not?

i have home, browser, google voice, bbm, email, phone-- 6 basic apps. I still get HORRIBLE battery life.... PLUS my screen is dimmed to the lowest setting, everything off (wifi, etc) except the mobile network.... im telling y'all its just the nature of this phone to have sucky battery life in general with a few lucky people getting "good versions" of this phone and better battery life... one guy said he got better battery life by having apps like slacker radio open.... idk, this phone is just a fluke *sadface*
    01-04-12 11:17 AM
    unless you're looking at the app, there is no reason it should be open. use the clear button rather than the end button. i am trying to get my girlfriend to do this, but for some reason she never gets it. i will literally say "ok press clear now" and i'll watch her press the end button. i know, i know.
    01-04-12 01:09 PM
    hold the back button to close unwanted apps

if you can't do that then you suck at blackberry
    This won't always work.

The most reliable way to shut an app down is to use the BB/menu button. If it gives you both "close" and "exit" options, choose "exit". On some apps, the back button will do this, but you can't count on it. For example, you can hold the back button down all day on Go Reader, but it won't shut down the app. And if you choose "close" instead of "exit", it just puts it in the background, same as using the hangup key on most apps.

Google Maps has no "close" option; just use "exit". You especially don't want to leave this one running, because it keeps using GPS to update itself.

There are some apps that run periodically in the background even when you don't actually "use" them. Pandora, for example, does this. You can find out which ones are doing this by going into Options>Device>Application Management and swiping over to the CPU screen. Pandora doesn't use much CPU time when you're not actively running it, but some other apps do. The only way to find out is to check.

If you don't need to have your location tracked by FaceBook or other apps that you use a lot (such as the camera), turn this feature off in the individual app settings. Talking to GPS satellites all day will chew up your battery.

If you're in an area where you notice that your phone is bouncing back and forth between 2G/EDGE and 4G (or H+), just set it to 2G/EDGE until you get to a better reception area. The swapping back and forth and looking for a strong 4G signal will also use a lot of juice.
    01-04-12 02:00 PM
    What battery problem lol
    01-05-12 02:00 PM
    If you're feeling adventurous, I installed the http://forums.crackberry.com/hybrid-...-163-a-680475/ OS and I am getting AWESOME battery life now! Not to mention wifi calling and mobile hotspot capability which Rogers has yet to offer in their stock OS.
    01-05-12 05:35 PM
    i have home, browser, google voice, bbm, email, phone-- 6 basic apps. I still get HORRIBLE battery life.... PLUS my screen is dimmed to the lowest setting, everything off (wifi, etc) except the mobile network.... im telling y'all its just the nature of this phone to have sucky battery life in general with a few lucky people getting "good versions" of this phone and better battery life... one guy said he got better battery life by having apps like slacker radio open.... idk, this phone is just a fluke *sadface*
    I'm heavy user on my 9930 and I get great battery life. It was fully charged at 8 am and now at 7:30pm, I still have 55% battery life left. I would guess that google voice is running your battery down. I'd close it out and only open it when you need it. You'd be surprised how much one app continuously running can drain a battery.
    01-05-12 07:31 PM
    what app ver are you running on , hold down the return key - press top left top right top left top right ..
    01-05-12 09:10 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD