can somebody please tell me what materials the battery back door is made out of?
    07-27-11 05:47 PM
    can somebody please tell me what materials the battery back door is made out of?
    carbon fiber
    07-27-11 05:57 PM
    Faux carbon fiber

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-11 06:05 PM
    Isn't it woven glass?

07-27-11 06:08 PM
    Yup, it's woven glass, whatever that is.

07-27-11 06:10 PM
    I might like this new woven glass door... but I do like the feel of my 9780 pleather door.
    07-27-11 06:29 PM
    If it is not real carbon fiber, it sure looks good. It is light and fits very well. This door design is a complete departure from past Blackberry design and works very well. I have not used my 9900 is a few weeks but I would have preferred the back to not finger print so much. The 9860 has a nice matte finish on the back that shows no prints!
    07-28-11 05:11 AM
    Looks pretty damn real to me. I believe one of the foreign reviews here said that the back is in fact real. If thats true, nice touch RIM
    07-28-11 08:08 AM
    I am sure it is only a matter of time before some vendor has available a feux leather door like on the old Bold....

I would buy it!
    07-28-11 08:09 AM
    It looks like real carbon fiber and on the inside of the door is the NFC component.

07-28-11 08:13 AM
    My problem with the leather door was that it was creaky. Even after buying 2 OEMs. Sure was nice but a minor annoyance. This was on a 9000.
    07-28-11 08:14 AM
    Looks pretty damn real to me. I believe one of the foreign reviews here said that the back is in fact real. If thats true, nice touch RIM
    I thought I read that too. Some where I read it WAS real CF.

I am sure it is only a matter of time before some vendor has available a feux leather door like on the old Bold....

I would buy it!
    If not leather then maybe one that has a hump for a larger battery. They will have to put the NFC antenna and contacts in it as the battery cover serves as the NFC antenna

My problem with the leather door was that it was creaky. Even after buying 2 OEMs. Sure was nice but a minor annoyance. This was on a 9000.
    The 9900 door is a completely new design and in my opinion, it should never get loose and make any noise from squeezing it.
    07-28-11 08:50 AM
    A couple of weeks ago when I briefly had my hands on one, I was so enamored that I didn't even bother to check.
    07-28-11 09:03 AM
    So is this thing going to scratch easily? It seems very glossy...

07-28-11 09:22 AM
    That is a concern. Maybe its coated in gorilla glass
    07-28-11 09:25 AM
    i;m sure the invisible shield and alike will come out with to cover the battery door... i don't usually like the little pieces that comes with the invisible shield package so i just use the parts i want..

for the 9900 probably the screen and the battery door ; >
    07-28-11 09:26 AM
    So is this thing going to scratch easily? It seems very glossy...

put a screen protector over it if ur so worried..

then put a rubber skin over it
    then add an otterbox to it. then put it in a zip lock bag..
    u'll be gd to go
    totallygone likes this.
    07-28-11 11:31 AM
    put a screen protector over it if ur so worried..

then put a rubber skin over it
    then add an otterbox to it. then put it in a zip lock bag..
    u'll be gd to go
    LOL!

Maybe just leave it in the box, that will keep it looking new.

I believe in just using the phone, giving it reasonable care and enjoying the hardware.
    07-28-11 11:39 AM
    made out of suite....which i don;t like it......
    07-28-11 12:25 PM
    made out of suite....which i don;t like it......
    suite?

What is suite?

I do not like it either, I think
    07-28-11 02:23 PM
    It is not real carbon fiber.. RIM employees have stated in the past that it is not. They mentioned that they could not use real carbon fiber as it would mess with the phone's components in some way. I don't remember the exact wording, but there is a reason as to why they could not use actual carbon fiber. It is indeed woven glass (whatever that may be).
    poloandpearls likes this.
    07-28-11 02:46 PM
    It is not real carbon fiber.. RIM employees have stated in the past that it is not. They mentioned that they could not use real carbon fiber as it would mess with the phone's components in some way. I don't remember the exact wording, but there is a reason as to why they could not use actual carbon fiber. It is indeed woven glass (whatever that may be).
    I remember getting a real carbon fiber case that wrapped around my iPhone 4 and could not use it as it killed the reception.

What ever it is, it looks great! I like it better than the faux leather
    Last edited by greggebhardt; 07-28-11 at 04:45 PM.
    07-28-11 02:54 PM
    I remember getting a real carbon fiber case that wrapped around my iPhone 4 and could not use it as it killed the reception.
    You sure the case did that?
    07-28-11 02:55 PM
    It is not real carbon fiber.. RIM employees have stated in the past that it is not. They mentioned that they could not use real carbon fiber as it would mess with the phone's components in some way.
    Interesting; I never thought about that. I wonder if it would have a sort of Faraday cage effect.
    07-28-11 03:44 PM

What ever it is it look great! I like it better than the faux leather
    Rubbish! Nothing is better than faux leather. Nothing. Not even REAL leather.

I shall proudly defend it til death. Whomever wishes to join me in my righteous plight to rid the 9900 of this retched "carbon fiber" once and for all say aye!
    07-28-11 04:14 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD