Hi All,

What with the Bold now out and reasonably readily available, I thought I'd go have a look at/play with one. The goal was to find out whether or not the new 'Berry would be able to play back audio files without inserting a small "silence gap" in between the tracks.

(Before I continue I should give a shout out to my local "The Source" store, who were willing to let me play around with a new 9900 for a fair while to find out what I needed to know.)

The short version of the story is that, as far as I can tell, it can't play back audio files without inserting a small "silence gap" in between the tracks.

Here's what I did for my test:

1. Remove the 16 GB micro SD card from my Tour (half-full of songs)
    2. Put that card into a 9900 (I had to remove the battery from the 9900 to do this)
    3. Start up the 9900 and wait while it started to scan my card and find songs

Once it had found a few, I began to play them. Tracks were not merged seamlessly one into another (for example on Dark Side of the Moon) as they should have been. Instead, when one track ended, it took maybe 1/10 of a second to start the next one up.

There is, of course, the possibility that the card was causing some of the problems (since it was formatted for the Tour), especially since the new 'Berries are supposed to be very good at multimedia.

It's also possible that there's an option that I needed to set in order to get the gapless playback I wanted. Does anyone know whether that's the case?

(I should also add that the 9900 seemed to take a long time scanning my card, but I'm also chalking that up to the fact that it was formatted for the Tour.)

If anyone can offer any insight into any of my questions above, I'd be very grateful. The phone is, as others have said, "a beast," and if this one thing can be "fixed" I might just have to go buy one.
    08-12-11 06:31 PM
    Hi All,

Just a quick followup to my last post.

Today I blew all the data off of my microSD card, reloaded it with (only) "Dark Side of the Moon" and, with the cooperation of a friendly Future Shop employee, tried again.

The conclusions:
    1. The 9900 sounds much better than the 9630 (much less electronic noise).
    2. The 9900 cannot play back (.m4a) audio files gaplessly.

And so it goes.

I wish someone would come out with a media player for the 'Berry that would do this one thing for me. Heck -- I'm willing to pay for it too.

Anyone willing to take it on?
    08-14-11 12:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD