Bold 9900 4G for T-Mobile has speeds of 42MBPS?

Please let me know, thanks.
    09-29-11 02:49 PM
    HSPA+ is technically "4G" but since there is no technical definition of what "4G" is it's just marketing BS. As was said, HSPA+ has a technical limit of 14Mbps but I've never seen anyone even get half that. T-Mobile's marketing of the 9900 as the first 4G BB is total BS. Cell phone providers stretch the truth all the time but T-Mobile is shoveling it so deep you need waist high waders. Plus from what I've read the 9900 plus H+ equals horrible battery life. Unfortunately people with the 9900 are stuck on either Edge or H+. Verizon's LTE devices can run on 1X (2G), 3G and LTE (4G). H+ can't hold a candle to LTE which is why AT&T and Sprint are moving to it. T-Mobile seems to not be making this move which is unfortunate. Reality is going to catch up to T-Mobile's marketing and TV ads. Hopefully they will move to LTE soon as well. I have an LTE data card for my laptop and I average 25 down. My friend's new Bionic hit almost 20 I was shocked. The trade off is still the fact that you need a separate LTE chip which just sucks the battery dry. By next summer I'll upgrade to HOPEFULLY an LTE BB.
    09-29-11 06:37 PM
    HSPA+ is technically "4G" but since there is no technical definition of what "4G" is it's just marketing BS. As was said, HSPA+ has a technical limit of 14Mbps but I've never seen anyone even get half that. T-Mobile's marketing of the 9900 as the first 4G BB is total BS. Cell phone providers stretch the truth all the time but T-Mobile is shoveling it so deep you need waist high waders. Plus from what I've read the 9900 plus H+ equals horrible battery life. Unfortunately people with the 9900 are stuck on either Edge or H+. Verizon's LTE devices can run on 1X (2G), 3G and LTE (4G). H+ can't hold a candle to LTE which is why AT&T and Sprint are moving to it. T-Mobile seems to not be making this move which is unfortunate. Reality is going to catch up to T-Mobile's marketing and TV ads. Hopefully they will move to LTE soon as well. I have an LTE data card for my laptop and I average 25 down. My friend's new Bionic hit almost 20 I was shocked. The trade off is still the fact that you need a separate LTE chip which just sucks the battery dry. By next summer I'll upgrade to HOPEFULLY an LTE BB.
    Don't be so quick to knock HSPA, Nokia Siemens just demonstrated their 336 Mbps HSPA network.

Nokia Siemens Demos HSPA at 336M Bps | PCWorld Business Center
    09-29-11 07:02 PM
    Any mention of speeds in excess of HSPA+ in regards to the 9900 is pointless, as the 9900 is an HSPA+ compatible device and nothing more.

Also with data on a BlackBerry going through RIM's BIS/BES servers, you're again restricted by data speeds, no matter how fast your network provider claims their data speeds to be.

That said, I have on several occasions achieved speeds way in excess of 14mbps over BIS...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-11 07:02 PM
    The Bold itself is rated at 14.4mbps max (check the technical specs). So not sure if you'll get much more out of it, though the image above looks pretty good!
    09-29-11 07:07 PM
    i dotn see a wifi icon but i still want to take a guess maybe wifi was on.
    09-29-11 10:31 PM
    I cant wait for the HTC Amaze 4G which is on the NEW 4G/HSPA+ network for T-Mobile that can do 42MPBS. I dont think they will move to LTE. As long as it is faster than 7.2MBPS then it is considered 4G to me. Anything faster than 3G is 4G to me. This crappy AT&T takeover couldn't have happened in a worst year. I just hope the merger doesn't go through because i like T-Mobile's cutting edge devices. AT&T is very conservative and doesn't take chances on handsets.
    09-29-11 11:44 PM
    Some of the new Android devices do full 4G/LTE, or so they say. My Bold did 16mbps on the mobile speed test (7MB).
    09-29-11 11:55 PM
    FYI, Telus Mobility Canada do not promote HSPA+ as a 4G system because they are working on LTE now. I think is depend on which service provider you have in which country.
    09-29-11 11:59 PM
    i dotn see a wifi icon but i still want to take a guess maybe wifi was on.
    Wifi was not on, and if it was the results would have been MUCH slower. I know because I've tried it.

09-30-11 05:01 AM
    The iphone 5 is said to be around 24.5 mbps

09-30-11 02:22 PM
    sorry man, no offense but i dont buy those results.
    No offence taken

You can think what you like, but those are my results on my network, and I can repeat them at will...

09-30-11 05:19 PM
    So i feel my 9900 4G T-mobile phone is too slow. I also have a 9300 3G AT&T curve.

I ran speed tests side-by-side. Both had full bars in my frontyard:

Test site: My 3G Speed | Test my iPhone, Pre, Storm speed, 3G Speed Test

AT&T 9300 3G

Down: 3600 kpbs
    Up: 180 kpbs

T-mobile 9900 4G

Down: 3100 kpbs
    Up: 88 kpbs

I called T-mobile and they tried to have me test the speed thru www.dslreports.com/mspeed but this site does not seem to work on OS7. They had nothing else to say...
    10-27-11 09:40 PM
    Don't be so quick to knock 14.4 hspa+. I had a 14.4 android device on AT&T. My experience is that it was 3-4x the speed of 3G on my current Verizon 9930 (as measured by tethering speeds). The VZW rep was incredulous, but I showed him right there in his store. Also, my 14.4 device had TWICE the battery life of my gf's comparable LTE verizon droid. It seems that all of the LTE devices available right now really suck down the juice. I felt like 14.4 was a good compromise - and I'd be happy to have that again. If AT&T had the 9900 when I was getting frustrated with touchscreen keyboards - I'd probably have it now.
    10-27-11 10:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD