Hello,
    I am looking forward to buy a new phone for work and am seriously considering the Bold 9900.
    My main needs are:
    • Calling and texts
    • Email
    • Docs viewing
    • Long Lasting battery (at least the entire day*)

In the bonus list I would include stuff like:
    • Social Media (even if it's just facebook)
    • GPS
    • Docs Editing

Do you people believe the Bold is my best choice, considering a tight budget, or do we have better alternatives out there?

Thanks in advance.

*not like my Q10 that reaches 33% battery at lunch time :/
    07-20-18 05:48 PM
    The KEY2 or KEYone would be your 'best' choices for functionality in 2018.

The only non-android BlackBerry devices I would feel 'safe' recommending in 2018 are the Classic or Passport (both on BlackBerry 10).

If you can find a supreme deal and want to play around with the 9900 before dedicating it as your work phone first, that's what I would recommend.

I just wouldn't feel right recommending (albeit was a very good device) a Bold 9900 in 2018. Not even to the most hardcore of BlackBerry user(s), of which I am one.
    andy957 likes this.
    07-20-18 07:16 PM
    If you want no problems and an Android device you can strip of many google things by simply disabling them, get a KEYone, KEY2, or Motion. I only say the Motion because it's new, but it just doesn't have a physical keyboard.
    07-20-18 07:20 PM
    If you need a device on a budget, find a good deal on a Classic or Passport - nothing older than those. That way, you'll be somewhat happy.
    07-20-18 07:21 PM
    Hello,
    I am looking forward to buy a new phone for work and am seriously considering the Bold 9900.
    My main needs are:
    • Calling and texts
    • Email
    • Docs viewing

• GPS
    • Docs Editing

Do you people believe the Bold is my best choice, considering a tight budget, or do we have better alternatives out there?

Thanks in advance.

The Bold would require BIS or BES from your carrier. Many carriers dropped support, so you should check with yours. Also, nothing guarantees they will continue supporting BIS or BES.
    andy957 likes this.
    07-20-18 07:22 PM
    I'm a big fan of the 9900, but it's difficult to recommend in 2018. Looking carefully at your list of requirements I don't think that it's the phone for you. Social media support is really limited and the browser is becoming increasingly unreliable. In my experience the battery on my Q10 is way better (longer lasting) than my 9900. Although you do have the advantage on both devices of being able to fast swap batteries, carry spares etc.
    If communication is your priority, email, SMS, phone calls etc., and you can get BIS, then the 9900 remains a cracking device -- beyond that it will struggle to satisfy your list of demands.
    RJ Oakley and andy957 like this.
    07-21-18 02:58 AM
    Hello,
    My main needs are:
    • Calling and texts
    • Email
    • Docs viewing

• GPS
    • Docs Editing

Thanks in advance.

Calling and text: yes
    Email: may be
    Docs viewing editing: yes
    Long lasting battery: swappable so yes with a spare battery
    Social media: no
    GPS: yes

BTW, Blackberry will shut down service (BIs) and support by end of 2019

Posted via CB10
    07-21-18 05:01 AM
    I used a Bold 9930 for a few months earlier in the year. It still performed well, though it basically felt like a dumb phone. Almost no apps. I found email solutions that worked for me. Call and voice-mail and text was fine, but no group texting. No browser. BlackBerry maps worked, though it took finessing to work compared to modern GPS. The maps were accurate, but no voice, and weird route names, so you had to really pay attention. It did work, and I had a great time with it. Eventually my baby boy ripped off several buttons and I moved back to smartphones. Pretty interesting time, and I didn't even miss Android after a little while.
    07-22-18 08:33 PM
    I think for basic functions the 9900 will still serve you and that KB makes it all worth it. For whipping off a quick text nothing can touch it for typing accuracy and speed. The size of the 9900 is so nice because for those of us who carry around larger slabs all day we wish we could go back to 2011 just to use this device. Carry spare batteries and since we still have around 1.5 years left with BIS before they pull the plug, and the fact they can be had cheap, you might learn to appreciate this model.
    07-24-18 08:38 PM
    Just get a new battery for the Q10. If that's not the problem, you have way too many apps running in the background.
    My Q10 usually gets closer to 2 days (as in 48 hours). 24 hours is easy, even with videos, fitness tracker connected to heart rate monitor, web and everything else going on

Posted via CB10
    07-25-18 06:34 PM
    Ditto much above. Very compact OEM JM1 battery is sized for a light use day.
    Heavy use might need swap out before day's end. Or even over lunchtime in low signal environments. That's part of how they achieved such comfortably compact proportions. Spare JM1s are very compact and are quite unobtrusive in pocket, when carried as a spare. You'd want a spare battery charger for your spare battery, also.

Aftermarket extended batteries provide multiple days of no-plug endurance. The improved grasp afforded by extended battery's additional ledge on the back actually improves my typing speed and precision. "Thin" is a slab thing. "Thick" improves PKB typing, imo.

Other than BBM, forget "social media". Browsing can still get by in a pinch but pretty clunky, depending on sites. I like the overall map view native GPS provides.

Typing and EDITING emails, texts, posts, documents, etc are still unmatched on 99. Imo. I edit countless spreadsheet cells per day and PREFER 9900 for that over a desktop! It's THAT good!

Once you master 9900's trackpad editing, trackless Q10 will explode your blood pressure. Lol. I also dearly missed 99's physical call buttons during my " Q adventure". Lol. Only handsets with physical call buttons should be called "phones" , imo. Which makes Classic the last of true smartPHONEs, imo. Classic is oversized, imo, but remains my favorite of BB10. FWIW.

That cloud darkening the horizon is 9900's scheduled euthanasia by lobotomy, in about 1.5 years. Announced EOL for BIS. If you choose to jump in, epect a short lived affair. One you might just carry fond memories of for quite some while. Lol. "Agent 99" CAN be enchantingly seductive... lol.
    08-02-18 05:35 AM
    Hello,
    My main needs are:
    • Calling and texts
    • Email
    • Docs viewing

• GPS
    • Docs Editing

Thanks in advance.

I'm in a similar position to this. Wanted to get a blackberry to stop me using my phone so much so bought a curve 8320 which has done a good job so far on email and texts.

But I'm missing having a decent GPS app (google maps) and whatsapp. Is it possible to use the bold 9900 to do this? I'm happy to just use the web browser to access google maps but every time i try this is says that 'The security of this connection cannot be verified' (which it seems to be doing for any site i try to visit). And when i press continue it says 'Unable to connect using the current security settings. Please contact your service provider'. What does this mean and which provider does it mean? my internet provider or my phone carrier?

Also, 'littlebuff' said that 'Blackberry will shut down service (BIs) and support by end of 2019'. What is meant by this?

Thanks v much.
    08-03-18 07:29 PM
    I'm in a similar position to this. Wanted to get a blackberry to stop me using my phone so much so bought a curve 8320 which has done a good job so far on email and texts.

But I'm missing having a decent GPS app (google maps) and whatsapp. Is it possible to use the bold 9900 to do this? I'm happy to just use the web browser to access google maps but every time i try this is says that 'The security of this connection cannot be verified' (which it seems to be doing for any site i try to visit). And when i press continue it says 'Unable to connect using the current security settings. Please contact your service provider'. What does this mean and which provider does it mean? my internet provider or my phone carrier?

Also, 'littlebuff' said that 'Blackberry will shut down service (BIs) and support by end of 2019'. What is meant by this?

Thanks v much.
    Was gonna ask the same thing - is it official BIS going to be shut down by end of 2019?
    09-13-18 02:17 PM
    Yes, they made the announcement earlier in the year. All support for BlackBerry including BB OS and BB10 will end by the end of 2019 or early 2020. That means BIS will no longer be available and email will have to go through non-BIS way. I am not sure what's going to happen with internet accessibility after that time with phone that are on BIS. I guess that would be up to the carriers. some on this forum had asked about not able to access the internet with their carriers and not even on wifi. The answers had mostly pointed toward getting a BIS plan. I have no problem getting internet connection with my BISless Bold though my carrier shut down BIS long time ago. but this Bold I am using had never been on BIS and I am in South-East Asia and in a place where the standard phone plan is pay as used and with own device.

Different services will be shut down along the course of several months. No more BBWorld so Nguyen has started creating JAD files of his apps for future use - if you want to do this, I would recommend searching for a program named vnbbutilis, pretty easy to use. BB10 users may like to look for way to creat their apps file to be incorporate into the autoloaders. One of the big concern is what's going to happen after the BB ID and BB Protect servers are shut down. This most likely affects BB 10 phones. For Bolds and legacy Blackberries, call and text should be no problem. I will keep using my Bolds for that, and for the swappable battery and great signal reception quality.
    09-14-18 08:15 AM
    Surprisingly there is still an old Google Maps floating around that will work on the Bold 9900. It's a generic JAR or something for mobile devices. Anyways I have it and it seemed to work quite well.

Search around. I think Google has the latest for download, but the trick is to first install the v3? edition and then the latest one over that or else you never get past the terms and conditions...
    09-14-18 04:14 PM
    Yes, they made the announcement earlier in the year. All support for BlackBerry including BB OS and BB10 will end by the end of 2019 or early 2020. That means BIS will no longer be available and email will have to go through non-BIS way. I am not sure what's going to happen with internet accessibility after that time with phone that are on BIS. I guess that would be up to the carriers. some on this forum had asked about not able to access the internet with their carriers and not even on wifi. The answers had mostly pointed toward getting a BIS plan. I have no problem getting internet connection with my BISless Bold though my carrier shut down BIS long time ago. but this Bold I am using had never been on BIS and I am in South-East Asia and in a place where the standard phone plan is pay as used and with own device.

Different services will be shut down along the course of several months. No more BBWorld so Nguyen has started creating JAD files of his apps for future use - if you want to do this, I would recommend searching for a program named vnbbutilis, pretty easy to use. BB10 users may like to look for way to creat their apps file to be incorporate into the autoloaders. One of the big concern is what's going to happen after the BB ID and BB Protect servers are shut down. This most likely affects BB 10 phones. For Bolds and legacy Blackberries, call and text should be no problem. I will keep using my Bolds for that, and for the swappable battery and great signal reception quality.
    Thanks for the update - any recommendations for the Password Keeper too?

If BB ID and Protect are shut down, I'm assuming all cloud stuff associated with your ID (such as password keeper) will also be lost (for bb10)

Correct me if I'm wrong - but the Password keeper on legacy BlackBerry OS, that was always stored locally on the device itself anyways right?

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    09-17-18 07:57 PM
    Thanks for the update - any recommendations for the Password Keeper too?

If BB ID and Protect are shut down, I'm assuming all cloud stuff associated with your ID (such as password keeper) will also be lost (for bb10)

Correct me if I'm wrong - but the Password keeper on legacy BlackBerry OS, that was always stored locally on the device itself anyways right?
    As far as I know Password Keeper has always been local. The one on my 9900 is not in sync with my Z10 which is not in sync with my Q10.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-18 06:04 PM
    BlackBerry Password Keeper on BBOS keep the data through the BlackBerry Protect app on BB Servers.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-25-18 10:55 AM
    Really? I'm going to have to try that. I would be surprised given that BlackBerry's docs say you have to transfer your data over to your new phone and enter the password keeper password before you can get at your password database. If it was in the cloud, I'd assume you wouldn't have to do that.
    On the other hand, I do recall that all my BlackBerry News data was stored somewhere on their servers and it immediately was available on my new device without me doing anything

Posted via CB10
    09-27-18 12:40 AM
    Well, I have never used functionality of Password Keeper on my Bold 9900 via BIS. But BlackBerry Protect on Bold 9900 allow to have backup daily of data like:
    SMS, Calendar(local I think), Tasks, Memos, Contacts, Browser Bookmarks. Ofcourse this is through the BIS supported devices means works BB OS only. When you login to new device with your I'd you can very quick backup the the data as above to your new BB

09-27-18 02:09 AM
    Hello,

I just bought a 9900 NIB just to keep as a piece of history. It will stay brand new and in the box. The last great BB.
    stevealicious84 likes this.
    09-30-18 01:40 PM
    Well you are absolutely correct. It looks like Protect will save a bunch of stuff including Password Keeper.
    ...another wonderful feature which did not make the transition over to BB10.
    I would've been willing to pay a nominal monthly fee for backup services, BBM, etc.
    I suppose everyone expects it for 'free' now (well in exchange for some personal data and your firstborn... :-)

10-01-18 10:48 PM
    I just bought a 9900 NIB just to keep as a piece of history. It will stay brand new and in the box. The last great BB.
    BlackBerry built devices that were meant to be used! Especially the Bold 9900. Tough, reliable, easy to service, replaceable battery...

10-01-18 10:49 PM