So I was a blackberry user for years. My last device was the bold 9650...I loved it for awhile, but then I had a ton of problems with it and the battery was starting to go and I didnt want to replace it. I wasn't impressed with any current blackberry devices, so I went and got the iPhone 4S. The phone is okay...email SUCKS compared to blackberry. I thought I'd hate the touchscreen but its not so bad, frustrating at times, but the voice recognition helps.

I looked at Verizon's site and there is the Bold 9930 and the Torch 9850. Which is better overall? I do not know much about OS 7, but how is the internet on these phones...seriously? The internet on the iPhone is great...web pages actually load like they are supposed to and fast...I've never had a semi decent internet experience on the blackberry in all the years that I have been using them.

Does OS7 still have the profile exceptions? separate inboxes for all your email accounts?

I'm on verizon, is there anything upcoming that maybe I should wait for? I wish the Torch for Verizon was the same style as the AT&T torch. I really like the keyboard

Sorry for all the questions.
    Last edited by MarkNashe; 11-15-11 at 09:23 PM.
    11-15-11 09:20 PM
    I also find it weird that the BOld costs more...is there a reason?
    11-15-11 09:22 PM
    My 9930 will be delivered tomorrow. While I like the idea of the 9850 (I don't mind full touchscreen), a few weeks back I tried both in the store and the 9930 felt way better in hand than the 9850. You pick up the 9930 and you can tell it is a flagship phone. I'm very much looking forward to using it daily.
    11-15-11 09:32 PM
    I also find it weird that the BOld costs more...is there a reason?
    Because Verizon kisses Apples ***.
    11-15-11 09:37 PM
    Because Verizon kisses Apples ***.
    That may be true. I know on Sprint the iPhone 4S starts at $649 off contract and the 9930 is only $499.

EDIT: But both are $199 with a 2 year agreement. So it appears Sprint is giving you more of a discount to go iPhone.
    Last edited by semicoln; 11-15-11 at 09:41 PM.
    11-15-11 09:39 PM
    Sorry I meant, the Bold costs more than the Torch....I would assume the other one would cost more
    11-15-11 09:54 PM
    Sorry I meant, the Bold costs more than the Torch....I would assume the other one would cost more
    For one reason the Bold is a world phone and the Torch is not. And as I stated earlier, the materials of the Bold seem better in my opinion.
    11-15-11 09:56 PM
    looks real sweet...I think I'm going to order it now. I'm pulling for RIM....email cannot be touched on these devices
    anon(73368) likes this.
    11-15-11 09:59 PM
    sorry...hows battery life? I know in the past BBM kills the battery, not sure if there has been any improvements? I normally had to charge my Bold once or twice a day
    11-15-11 10:05 PM
    I wish us CDMA users had a version of the 9810 slider also. I would have gone for that without hesitation. Especially if I could get it in white.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-11 10:07 PM
    I can get 10-12 hrs of heavy useage on it. On a normal day 14-16 hrs. I definetly dont have to charge it twice a day. Smart choice Enjoy that keyboard!
    11-15-11 10:08 PM
    Go to the store and try both devices. Try other carriers and see what you get as the best price if that matters.

But only you can choose the best device for what you need out of a phone. You will get a lot of user opinions, which may sway you either direction, but may also add utter confusion on which one to buy.

I look back on a thread a read a while ago. When a user was asking what device to get, and they listened to others opinions, then a few days passed and the user comes back stating they hate the device they got, and blame was put on users. Well... That's my point, only you know what will work best for you.

Best of luck in what ever device you get
    11-15-11 10:54 PM
    I LOVE my new Bold. As you know, email can not be beat.
    The browsing is OK, it loads fast, but the screen is smaller, so you have to "tap" the screen twice, and most everything fits nicely in the screen.
    If I had to get a new phone tomorrow, it would be the Bold again. Thought of going SG2, but I use Yahoo, and am used to BB and dont need to relearn everything all over now.
    Very happy with my Bold 9900.
    11-15-11 11:08 PM
    sorry...hows battery life? I know in the past BBM kills the battery, not sure if there has been any improvements? I normally had to charge my Bold once or twice a day
    Battery life on the Bold is not as good as the Torch 9810 or the 9860 - I have all three and there is quite a difference.
    I would say the iphone 4s's battery life is more like the Torch 9810 maybe even a bit better
    11-15-11 11:20 PM
    You should have stuck to the iPhone because you would no when ever apple releases a new software your phone can get it (ip3gs getting ios5). People don't even know if there new bold will get qnx when it's released
    11-16-11 01:05 AM
    The Bold is great. I tested the browser rendering on some pages against a friend's Android phone and could not see any difference. One thing is screen size. There is simply no getting around the fact that browsing is always better on a bigger screen. So in that respect I would say the 9850 is better. But that is probably the only way it is better.

I get about 2 days of battery on my 9930 before needing a charge with moderate use... Several hundred emails, a few texts, moderate web browsing and using TapaTalk all the time.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Chrisy likes this.
    11-16-11 01:31 AM
    You should have stuck to the iPhone because you would no when ever apple releases a new software your phone can get it (ip3gs getting ios5). People don't even know if there new bold will get qnx when it's released
    QNX, or BBX as it's now called, will not be released for the Bold or any currently released BlackBerry, just in case there was any was any doubt. OS upgrades shouldn't be the number one requirement for purchasing a device - day to day usability from day one and user fit should be top concern.
    11-16-11 01:46 AM
    QNX, or BBX as it's now called, will not be released for the Bold or any currently released BlackBerry, just in case there was any was any doubt. OS upgrades shouldn't be the number one requirement for purchasing a device - day to day usability from day one and user fit should be top concern.
    So sad, but don't really care since my Bold is kicking a**!!!
    This phone is very nice. The more I sue it the more I love it. It beats the iphone 4 by far for what I need it.

anon(73368) likes this.
    11-16-11 02:56 AM
    But he may want his email in a timely manner, want to have multiple email signatures, to be able to delete the email only on the handheld device, have superior notifications, custom profiles, auto shutoff at night, security, trackpad, good sound quality, good reception, etc, etc. - all of which sadly the 4s does not have. Siri is kind of cool though
    Last edited by buwee; 11-16-11 at 03:29 AM.
    11-16-11 03:27 AM
    I still have the iPhone, but I like Blackberry email better

Also IOS5 on iPhone 3Gs runs like crap...so those people are better off without IOS5

Android is no better...phone comes with 2.3.2, but then 2.3.4 gets released but not for all phones, they rarely get the updates.

If the BOLD comes with OS 7 and they keep improving OS7, then I wont care if I get QNX/BBX

decisions decisions
    11-16-11 08:08 PM
    I do wonder though why is the Bold on AT&T 4G and Verizon's isnt, since they have the "largest 4g network"
    11-16-11 08:08 PM
    Interesting........

AT&T Relabels Wireless Network, Speeds Up Next Generation Rollout - WSJ.com

T-Mobile is doing the same thing................................... They are using their HSDPA (3.5G) as 4G. It is not true 4G, but you will get what they're calling 4G speeds.
    11-16-11 08:20 PM
    Interesting thread. Couple of points I'd like to raise:

1. Screen size - the moment you pop that virtual keyboard up on the iPhone, the 'screen' that's left to view anything that isn't 'keyboard' instantly becomes smaller than half that of the 9900. And you don't have the luxury of a trackpad, thus it makes selecting small buttons and links more fiddly than on the BB.

2. Data on the move. My friend has an iPhone4s. Your experience may vary but he is constantly griping about how he struggles to even refresh Facebook for example if he's in a moving car (as a passanger before anyone kicks off). Data while travelling is a biggy for me, and further to this data point, the 9900 will stream a video on youtube on lowly GPRS. Does the iP do this too? Genuine question.

3. Battery life - never even considered BBM to be a drain on battery, all my previous BBs stayed alive for days on one battery lol. The 9900 is more battery intensive than the 9700, but c'mon it's literally twice the device. Since I upgraded my OS, I've found my 9900 battery to be easily good for over a day : / By the next morning I can usually find a USB lead for charging (oh that reminds be of another point )

Last edited by dodger_moore; 11-16-11 at 09:32 PM.
    11-16-11 09:24 PM
    Interesting thread. Couple of points I'd like to raise:

1. Screen size - the moment you pop that virtual keyboard up on the iPhone, the 'screen' that's left to view anything that isn't 'keyboard' instantly becomes smaller than half that of the 9900. And you don't have the luxury of a trackpad, thus it makes selecting small buttons and links more fiddly than on the BB.

2. Data on the move. My friend has an iPhone4s. Your experience may vary but he is constantly griping about how he struggles to even refresh Facebook for example if he's in a moving car (as a passanger before anyone kicks off). Data while travelling is a biggy for me, and further to this data point, the 9900 will stream a video on youtube on lowly GPRS. Does the iP do this too? Genuine question.

3. Battery life - never even considered BBM to be a drain on battery, all my previous BBs stayed alive for days on one battery lol. The 9900 is more battery intensive than the 9700, but c'mon it's literally twice the device. Since I upgraded my OS, I've found my 9900 battery to be easily good for over a day : / By the next morning I can usually find a USB lead for charging (oh that reminds be of another point )

1. Yea that's true, but when your web browsing it helps that you get the full screen. I'm not going to lie I love the bb keyboard, but thats about all I miss.

2. The data on the move seems to work perfect for me. I watch Netflix with friends in the car when we're hanging out, same goes for YouTube.

3. Battery gets me through the day, And I like how you can check exactly what's using your battery and how longs it's been since your last charge & standby time since last charge. That might seem small but it's useful
    11-17-11 12:02 AM
    The updating thing really annoys me on the iPhone...I just hate email on it....and for voice calling, the thing just sucks. I wanted to like it, but for what I use my phone most for. It's just not worth it.

seems like the 9930 is the way to go. I do still have a working Bold 9650....not sure if I should just reactivate that to see if some other better Blackberry comes out within the next couple months. I know BBX is not expected until 3rd quarter of 2012, but I dont know if I'd want to wait that long.

Is there a huge difference between OS6 and OS7 in terms of quality?
    11-17-11 11:03 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD