i really think owning a blackberry is prestigious n somewhat like a status symbol n fashion quotient its similar to a harley davidson built to last...lol i even feel confident when i hav my 9900 with me...
    how many of u agree?

Sent from my BlackBerry BOLDEST BOLD 9900 using Tapatalk
    anon2100101 likes this.
    06-22-12 02:22 AM
    Nah, everyone's got them here...
    06-22-12 02:55 AM
    Nope. Not even close unless you are referring to the Porsche 9900, or a Vertu conversion.
    06-22-12 03:06 AM
    Not really here.

Personally, I feel like the iPhone is more of the status symbol.
    Android, even the expensive ones, is considered the 'poor mans' smartphone. BB is 'old-school' or 'for the business professional' and the iPhone is like the 'in' smartphone.
    shemaree09 likes this.
    06-22-12 03:36 AM
    Not really here.

Personally, I feel like the iPhone is more of the status symbol.
    Android, even the expensive ones, is considered the 'poor mans' smartphone. BB is 'old-school' or 'for the business professional' and the iPhone is like the 'in' smartphone.
    'In' really.

A trader friend who has a four year old Nokia still said most people in public he sees with iphones are the sort of people who plan for Saturday night rather than for three generations.

The UK has a different out look on Blackberry's and despite their business nature the 9900's still look flash rather than just a tool.

If an iphone is more of a status symbol maybe people need it to be accepted into their desired tribe....me, I'm a rebel !
    TeaTimeAlice and shemaree09 like this.
    06-22-12 04:41 AM
    I don’t get back to the States until mid July, so I’m still deciding which phone to go with once I arrive. I’m looking at the Bold 9930 really hard. One other brand also has something to offer, but I’m still in the debate phase right now.
    06-22-12 05:31 AM
    i really think owning a blackberry is prestigious n somewhat like a status symbol n fashion quotient its similar to a harley davidson built to last...lol i even feel confident when i hav my 9900 with me...
    how many of u agree?

Long ago if you had a Blackberry, maybe. Not now. RIM went for the consumer when the Corp stopped churning phones on a yearly basis.

Todays status symbols would be my Galaxy S3 and lesser the iPhone 4S but these are very common. I am in the business world and most of us could care less about who has what phone. I am betting you are young and your phone is a major investment and you SHOULD be proud!

Enjoy!
    06-22-12 05:57 AM
    Once upon a time I would have agreed with the OP, but now.....having a BlackBerry device is not so much a status symbol anymore. Times have changed in the last 4 years and as it breaks my heart to admit it , the iphone is the IN smartphone in the USA. I really can't comment on other countries because I can only go by what I see on a daily basis from where I live and spend most of my time.
    Last edited by spencerdl; 06-22-12 at 06:19 AM.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    06-22-12 06:06 AM
    how many of u agree?

In the united states iPhone runs everything. I barely see anyone with blackberry. In august when my upgrade is ready I will be with apple as well. This Blackberry bold is for someone that enjoys carrying around a charger all day. Just remember...blackberry is on their last limb. If blackberry 10 doesn't amaze anyone we won't be hearing about blackberry much longer.....
    06-22-12 06:26 AM
    how many of u agree?

It's a status symbol alright...says you're right out of the 90's

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    06-22-12 06:31 AM
    I used to think that Blackberry is a status symbol, and still think it is for now. It describes who I am, and of course, isn't as mainstream as the iPhone. I had the iPhone 3G back in 2008 because no one around me have it and it makes me stand out from the rest. Now I use blackberry to stand out from others.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Ben1232 likes this.
    06-22-12 07:06 AM
    You think a cell phone is a status symbol...

How about that indoor plumbing?....
    Last edited by G550Pilot; 06-22-12 at 09:02 AM.
    06-22-12 08:59 AM

That was a quick edit hehe.

People visually judge us on many things if we know it or not or like it or not.
    06-22-12 09:09 AM

Unfortunately, and sad to say......YES, it is
    06-22-12 09:11 AM
    I agree, in the past I think it used to be. You'd see someone with a BlackBerry and you assumed they were someone important, with a high powered job that required them to keep connected at all time. Now kids on prepaid plans can get them. Likewise, take the iPhone. They're also used by anyone from kids, to soccer moms, to executives. You just can't make a judgement about people who use certain smartphones anymore. Of course unless we're talking about the stereotypes of people who use certain phones that some people here have .
    06-22-12 10:35 AM
    Around my immediate circle of friends, with the exception of my attorney friend who has a Bold for work purposes, nearly everyone else has an iPhone or Android. Up until 2 years ago, my Blackberry circle was still pretty large, but they have all since joined the rest of the pack. I have 2 friends who are still using "dumbphones" and they couldn't be happier or care less about having a smartphone. As one poster said, I like to be the "rebel" Blackberry user who is outside of the iPhone/Android herd I have played with a Galaxy S and briefly used an S2 and an iPhone and while they are "nice" phones, I prefer Blackberry. Since when is that wrong? I love how nowadays, it seems that everyone perceives your status by the type of phone you have or the kind of car you drive. I get sick and tired of hearing from people the common "you know Blackberry is dying" or, "what are you gonna do when Blackberry goes out of business?" Let me use what I want to use. I love being outside of the iPhone/Android box. Shoot, SOMEONE'S gotta be outside to see what's going on. Haha. Yes, people can get ish done with other phones. Yes, iPhone and Android users can also "DO", just like Blackberry. But there is a niche for Blackberry users too. Don't yinz want to think for yourselves and be free to use whatever you want? Do we NEED to use an iPhone or Android device? No one's putting a gun to our head. Our congressmen (I'm from the USA, DC Metro area) didn't pass regulations stating that people using BB will be jailed. BB10 is a new look and OS for RIM and developers are seeing that. This isn't your inept, bumbling Blackberry anymore. Don't want to hold out hope for a comeback? Need apps? That's cool. Thanks for coming. We won't judge you on your choice or question why you want to leave. We get it. Just don't let the RIM door hit you on the way out and take a cookie. When you're finished, you'll feel right as rain again (Ah you wise Oracle from "the Matrix.")
    06-22-12 11:17 AM
    I agree totally... Your comparison with harley-davidson matches perfect. There are a lot of significant better bikes on market than harleys but everybody knows about the cult-status of a harley! A Blackberry-user knows about the deficits of his berry, but he bears it with pride. The berry-owner knows his outstanding attitude and parries all mainstreams. In the moment its not easy to explain this kind of manner cause its really emotional and irrational, but I hope with BB10 it will become also sane and logic... and elite.
    06-22-12 11:44 AM
    This depends on where you located and how you look at yourself.

In Norway, most people have never heard of RIM or BlackBerry.
    Maybe even in Scandinavia, and i can imagine other parts of Europe.

I can say that i feel confident with a BlackBerry, but I would not say its a status symbol. (to mee)

For people in finance and buisness its a tool, to others it might be a very good smartphone. (the best in my opinion)

The iPhone, I feel is more common then junkfood and cheap clothing.
    The quality of it, I do not know, but I feel theres a certain status to it.

But a more common status..?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-22-12 01:15 PM
    I agree totally... Your comparison with harley-davidson matches perfect. There are a lot of significant better bikes on market than harleys but everybody knows about the cult-status of a harley! A Blackberry-user knows about the deficits of his berry, but he bears it with pride. The berry-owner knows his outstanding attitude and parries all mainstreams. In the moment its not easy to explain this kind of manner cause its really emotional and irrational, but I hope with BB10 it will become also sane and logic... and elite.

Agree 100%.

Feeding my CrackBerry addiction with Tapatalk
    anon2100101 likes this.
    06-22-12 01:53 PM
    It's a status symbol alright...says you're right out of the 90's

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    How so? The first BlackBerry was a two-way pager and that was released in 1999. I don't think too many people had those, so how is BB a status of the 90s?
    06-22-12 01:58 PM
    Well said (written) my friend.....well said. Totally agree!!
    06-22-12 03:20 PM
    I think the Blackberry was a symbol of success, importance, class, or being tech savvy or even elite up until around 2008 or maybe 2009. Since then the Blackberry image and brand has been severely damaged and many opposite symbols come to mind to far too many people.

The problem was RIM stopped trying or blindly let the smartphone business pass them by. Word of mouth, bad user experiences, and then those that are somewhat tech savvy being disappointed by grossly underpowered new BB releases.

I mean while the iPhone and the early Android smartphones were improving web browsing on phones, the Blackberry had a horrible browser for years. It was sooooo bad many had to dl the Opera Mini browser just to get web pages that somewhat resembled real websites and not unrecognizable mobile pages. Those that didn't dl the Opera mini app were beyond frustrated and even those who did had a painfully slow browser, even by 2008 standards.

On top of that constant battery pulls, resets that would take forever, stuck trackballs, keys, etc. went from the Blackberry feeling like "class" to "ghetto" for smartphones.

It really wasn't until 2010 when OS6 came out that Blackberries had a halfway decent browser interface, but the devices by then were so behind the curve in being underpowered that the browsers while vastly improved in their interface were still far too slow and had poor screen resolution when compared to their competitors.

So in 2011 RIM comes out finally with OS7 and some pretty good phones that work very well in so many things, strong hardware with improved multimedia and browsing and load things faster and hold their own against the best efforts of Apple and Android devices, that have something for everyone in a traditional BB build (Bold), all touch "Torch" devices, and a slider Torch 9810 that really improved what the original Torch should have been been with good hardware under the hood.

But the Blackberry brand is soooo damaged now and is the constant whipping boy of the media and ex-BB users from a few years ago that still have a bad taste in their mouth that even a very good lineup of BB7 devices couldn't make RIM as relevant anymore and fewer and fewer people sign contracts and choose Blackberries.

RIM of course is mostly to blame for this, they come out with a good lineup of BB7 devices that have builds for any user and could make anyone happy in their phone preference but also announced essentially that BB7 would be killed off by BB10 and would not be compatible! Arrrrggghhh RIM!

So now I think Blackberries have become more like the Chicago Cubs or the Boston Red Sox up until a few years ago in that there is a loyal fanbase of people that often can't quite put their finger on why they like them despite constant disappointments... but do and are passionate about it! On the flipside, I think Apple is like the New York Yankees, always puts out a quality team/product with deep pockets that even when it is not the best at everything all the time, it is consistently good or great.

So now Blackberries are viewed by some as being used by people that were forced to use them by their jobs, or dinosaurs that aren't tech savvy enough to know about "better" devices, or as like a thowback to people who refuse to evolve to all touch devices.

RIM has to make the Blackberry brand respected again, but has done so much to kill the granddaddy of smartphones through poor marketing or outdated tech or failure to understand the changing tastes of the consumer.

I proudly hold my Bold 9900 as the best phone I have ever used and hope their is eventually a BB10 Bold device. So how I see it my Bold is like being married to an ugly woman that you love where only you or very few other people can see why you love her! lol I like physical keyboards like some guys are chubby chasers!
    06-22-12 04:10 PM
    Personaly, I feel like the iPhone is more of the status symbol.
    Pretty much!
    06-22-12 04:17 PM
    In the united states iPhone runs everything. I barely see anyone with blackberry. In august when my upgrade is ready I will be with apple as well. This Blackberry bold is for someone that enjoys carrying around a charger all day. Just remember...blackberry is on their last limb. If blackberry 10 doesn't amaze anyone we won't be hearing about blackberry much longer.....
    hmmm, you will be carrying your iPhone charger all day for sure.

I get about 15hrs of battery life daily. My iPhone and Android friends are always charging their phones in the middle of the day. My old iPhone would die by lunch time.
    06-22-12 04:44 PM
    First thought is that I run my device, my device doesn't run me. So I don't care one flying fig what the phone de rigueur happens to be.
    Additionally, owning and using a 4S, a Skyrocket and a 9900, I have to charge my 9900 less than either of those three phones. My Skyrocket is the one that routinely will not make it to the Metro by the end of the day.
    And it is true that the BB brand is in dire straits. Which is the reason I will get myself either a 9790 or another 9900.
    You see, I use what works for me. Not impressed by what's cool. I don't follow the crowd just because a sheepdog is at my heels.
    Literally.
    His name is Billy.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 06-22-12 at 08:34 PM.
    06-22-12 04:47 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD