Never heard of this before, what's the story here? Is it just some private security company that mods 9900's?

interesting

Phantom Secure :: Phantom Secure P9900 Bold -

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-09-16 05:38 PM
    Yep. PGP Encrypted or whatever they claim they're using. When news reports say they caught drug dealers using BB's it's usually those they are using lol.
    08-09-16 06:22 PM
    Yep. PGP Encrypted or whatever they claim they're using. When news reports say they caught drug dealers using BB's it's usually those they are using lol.
    Thanks Bla1ze . That puts my mind at ease

So they are still obviously around, I'm just suprised they are using older Legacy devices.....I didn't even see a date on the link, I looked (maybe not as well as I could have)

I'm going to do some research and find out if they work on newer devices also, but I'm sure they must.....
    08-09-16 06:39 PM
    They advertise as having "no back doors" and if I recall Blackberry says they don't have back doors either.......?

So I wonder what they do that is so different or BETTER than Blackberry in the first place to warrant such a price for this device.....

They charge $2000 for 6 months of encryption
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 08-09-16 at 07:01 PM.
    08-09-16 06:41 PM
    Phantom is a "Canadian Company" According to this they are pretty secure.....at least to the Australian police.....

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-0...-crime/5301256

UPDATE: just read that police can now crack PGP Encryption as of 2016.

Interesting stuff..

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-09-16 06:56 PM
    There are a few companies out there that offer custom modded BlackBerry devices, dedicated servers, and privately hosted enterprise servers. It is probably the most secure way to communicate for the time being.

Police (Media) will say they can do all kinds of things. The fact is PGP has not been cracked.

There have been a couple articles floating around stating that Encrypted BlackBerries have been hacked, and they decoded encrypted emails from some criminal... The reality is they only had to give the authorities their password... All of a sudden BAM! "They cracked an encrypted device"

The user is, and will continue to be the weakest link in any sort of security. (Digital, or not)
    11-02-16 04:50 PM
    There are a few companies out there that offer custom modded BlackBerry devices, dedicated servers, and privately hosted enterprise servers. It is probably the most secure way to communicate for the time being.

Police (Media) will say they can do all kinds of things. The fact is PGP has not been cracked.

There have been a couple articles floating around stating that Encrypted BlackBerries have been hacked, and they decoded encrypted emails from some criminal... The reality is they only had to give the authorities their password... All of a sudden BAM! "They cracked an encrypted device"

The user is, and will continue to be the weakest link in any sort of security. (Digital, or not)
    What I would really like is some sort of list or "bad sites" that older Legacy devices should probably avoid. I doubt anyone ever put something like that together but that's the kind of specific info I like to know since I use this 9900 so much, and for everything.

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    11-02-16 05:16 PM
    What I would really like is some sort of list or "bad sites" that older Legacy devices should probably avoid. I doubt anyone ever put something like that together but that's the kind of specific info I like to know since I use this 9900 so much, and for everything.

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    Short of finding a site that scans sites for malicious code, and running the target URL through the check before actually visiting the site i'm not sure there is a list like the one you are talking about.

I am a firm believer in using a purpose built tool for an important job. If you are concerned with exposing your personal data by visiting those kinds of sites then the practice of using a device that isnt able to access anything other than your PGP encrypted email client would be the only real "Bulletproof" approach.

I personally trust the "Legacy Devices" more than anything at this point. They are tried and true. Tested, and proven.
    11-02-16 07:06 PM

I personally trust the "Legacy Devices" more than anything at this point. They are tried and true. Tested, and proven.
    Do you trust a blackberry legacy device moreso than say an iPhone on iOS 10?

I'm thinking that's what BlackBerry tried to do with the software in the Dtek50, where it sort of scans constantly and it tells you if it's still secure, etc.
    11-02-16 08:21 PM
    Do you trust a blackberry legacy device moreso than say an iPhone on iOS 10?

I'm thinking that's what BlackBerry tried to do with the software in the Dtek50, where it sort of scans constantly and it tells you if it's still secure, etc.
    The mod I use when locking down a Legacy device prevents *Any* new files, apps, or media to be pushed to the device. Short of a chip off hack (Which still hasnt been proven to work when using PGP because the data is still encrypted on the chip) there is really no way to recover the data unless as i said before someone coughs up their password. The only way to access the device through the Desktop software is by formatting the device... Keep in mind the BlackBerry devices im using are strictly for PGP encrypted email.

Apple has repeatedly given up the backdoor of their IOS 10 and previous OS versions (From what i've heard). I personally wouldn't touch any Apple product with a 10 foot pole.
    11-03-16 10:34 AM

Apple has repeatedly given up the backdoor of their IOS 10 and previous OS versions (From what i've heard). I personally wouldn't touch any Apple product with a 10 foot pole.
    I have a feeling that if one is a drug dealer or a criminal or a murderer on the run and they are using a cell phone, they probably should expect any carrier or cellular company to give up the users location to the police. I don't think the person should expect "privacy" in this situation. But for general use, like say, if the neighbour kid is trying to hack you. I would think I might feel a little more secure on a newer device that still can get updates like my iPhone.

There hasn't been software updates for my 9900 for almost 3 years now, so I have to wonder about this, that's why I ask.
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 11-03-16 at 11:07 AM.
    11-03-16 10:41 AM
    I have a feeling that if one is a drug dealer or a criminal or a murderer on the run and they are using a cell phone, they probably should expect any carrier or cellular company to give up the users location to the police. I don't think the person should expect "privacy" in this situation. But for general use, like say, if the neighbour kid is trying to hack you. I would think I might feel a little more secure on a newer device that still can get updates like my iPhone.

There hasn't been software updates for my 9900 for almost 3 years now, so I have to wonder about this, that's why I ask.
    However if someone is in the business of relaying sensitive information (patents, legal documents/discussions, ect) they should be entitled to anonymity.

Most of these modded devices don't have GPS enabled, and also don't transmit anything but encrypted data over the cellular towers.

If you are concerned about "the neighbor kid" then use strong passwords, and don't download sketchy apps, or sign up for sketchy sites and you should be just fine. But in terms of "hackability" the BlackBerry devices (New, or old) are still by far the most robust. If you are doing any kind of online banking, or purchasing things online i would feel more comfortable doing it on a 9900 than a new Iphone.
    11-03-16 11:48 AM
    There's a shifty cell shop in a dead mall on my way to the subway that sells these.

But regardless, most encryption problems are solved with the $5 wrench, not the $5,000,000 supercomputer.
    11-03-16 11:48 AM
    However if someone is in the business of relaying sensitive information (patents, legal documents/discussions, ect) they should be entitled to anonymity.

Most of these modded devices don't have GPS enabled, and also don't transmit anything but encrypted data over the cellular towers.

If you are concerned about "the neighbor kid" then use strong passwords, and don't download sketchy apps, or sign up for sketchy sites and you should be just fine. But in terms of "hackability" the BlackBerry devices (New, or old) are still by far the most robust. If you are doing any kind of online banking, or purchasing things online i would feel more comfortable doing it on a 9900 than a new Iphone.
    Good points
    11-03-16 11:53 AM
    There's a shifty cell shop in a dead mall on my way to the subway that sells these.

But regardless, most encryption problems are solved with the $5 wrench, not the $5,000,000 supercomputer.
    Reminds me of this story a couple months ago. First thing he did was "power down" but he could have just smashed it

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/hacke...dent-1.3058315
    11-03-16 11:56 AM
    Reminds me of this story a couple months ago. First thing he did was "power down" but he could have just smashed it

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/hacke...dent-1.3058315
    More like this: https://xkcd.com/538/
    anon(9721108) and MyntexInc like this.
    11-03-16 11:58 AM

There can be shifty places to get these phones, sourcing there origin, and doing some research goes a long way when you are going to be spending your hard earned cash!

There are also reputable places these phones can be purchased!

This is hilariously true!
    Like I said before, the human is always the weakest link.... That little comic is too funny.
    11-03-16 02:27 PM
    >sigh< xkcd is clever. I need to check in more often.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    11-05-16 11:05 AM