How does the speed and overall experience of the web browser on the Bold compare to BB10's? Is it noticeably different?

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    abubadr likes this.
    11-22-14 05:51 PM
    And just to clarify, I'm asking because I own a Q10 and am thinking about buying a Bold

Posted via CB10
    11-22-14 05:51 PM
    Yes. You on BB10 you will never be afraid that a website won't load correctly.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-14 05:54 PM
    The BBOS 7 browser wasn't bad for what it was and in its day, for a BlackBerry. Depending on what you expect, you could be disappointed going backwards from BB10.
    11-22-14 05:54 PM
    Just saw the clarification. We'll in that case, be afraid. Be very afraid.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-14 05:55 PM
    Huge differences. BB10 compared to BBOS is like a rabbit to a snail
    11-22-14 05:56 PM
    Seriously the browser on bbos was enough for me to quit BlackBerry for good until I saw what BlackBerry 10's browser could do.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-14 06:36 PM
    Do you like checker boards ?

That is what comes up when the browser on bbos7 can't keep up.
    ( and it happens often )

Say what you will about BB10 , but they got the browser right !
    andy957 likes this.
    11-25-14 09:01 PM
    The BB OS7 browser is pretty good and loads pages just like you'd see them on your desktop (minus Flash content), but it renders very slowly. On sites with lots of garbage content like this one, you'll see the "checkerboard" every time you scroll.
    11-27-14 05:32 PM
    Get a Bold for its communication skills, not the browser. It renders fine, if you have patience. Don't load large pages either you'll crash it. Speaking of patience, prepare to enjoy long periods watching the timer spin. It's great fun! Seriously, I had a custom timer installed, just so I could enjoy it more.
    goUSAFblue likes this.
    11-28-14 08:29 AM
    Why couldn't they just make a better OS 7 device instead of re releasing the same old Bold 9900 again? At least with better hardware? They should have gone for dual core with 1.5ghz and 1gb/1.5gb of ram. I would have surely bought that phone! :'(

Posted via CB10
    11-28-14 09:00 AM
    Because processor speed doesn't necessarily equal a faster experience. The OS is the limitation, hence BB10. What you are looking for, is the equivalent of a Yugo with a V8.
    11-28-14 09:14 AM
    Because processor speed doesn't necessarily equal a faster experience. The OS is the limitation, hence BB10. What you are looking for, is the equivalent of a Yugo with a V8.
    Checkerboard occurs because the processor cannot handle it and there's not enough memory to run the program. If it had a faster processor, it would obviously have close to nill checkerboards.
    OS sucks I agree, but BIS is the only thing, keeping me onto it! BIS is cheap in India and provides unlimited downloads for $6/month!

Posted via CB10
    11-28-14 11:28 AM
    Checkerboard occurs because the processor cannot handle it and there's not enough memory to run the program. If it had a faster processor, it would obviously have close to nill checkerboards.
    OS sucks I agree, but BIS is the only thing, keeping me onto it! BIS is cheap in India and provides unlimited downloads for $6/month!

Posted via CB10
    I can totally dig wanting to use BIS. I wish they made it optional for BB10. Making a BBOS device with better hardware however, makes zero sense from a business standpoint, and I'm not so sure it would resolve the browser issue fully.
    11-28-14 11:37 AM
    I can totally dig wanting to use BIS. I wish they made it optional for BB10. Making a BBOS device with better hardware however, makes zero sense from a business standpoint, and I'm not so sure it would resolve the browser issue fully.
    Yeah, but is it possible to make it optional?
    It might not sell well, but if they made limited pieces like what they did with the BlackBerry Passport, then it wouldn't do any harm than good, right!?
    And yeah it should be having OS8 haha, it's a dream I know :P.

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-28-14 09:28 PM
    Get a Bold for its communication skills, not the browser. It renders fine, if you have patience. Don't load large pages either you'll crash it. Speaking of patience, prepare to enjoy long periods watching the timer spin. It's great fun! Seriously, I had a custom timer installed, just so I could enjoy it more.
    Lol fair enough

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-29-14 02:13 PM
    Why does such a large number of people (still) place the Bold on a pedestal and seem to just yearn for it, even with all the options that Blackberry alone is giving us with BB10. I'm not trying to troll, I genuinely am seeking to understand this hold of allure and addiction that the Bold seems to have on so many people lol

+-keystroke queen-+
    11-29-14 02:51 PM
    Yeah, but is it possible to make it optional?
    It might not sell well, but if they made limited pieces like what they did with the BlackBerry Passport, then it wouldn't do any harm than good, right!?
    And yeah it should be having OS8 haha, it's a dream I know :P.

Posted via CB10
    Love the dream, crazy as it is.

Why does such a large number of people (still) place the Bold on a pedestal and seem to just yearn for it, even with all the options that Blackberry alone is giving us with BB10. I'm not trying to troll, I genuinely am seeking to understand this hold of allure and addiction that the Bold seems to have on so many people lol

+-keystroke queen-+
    BIS, tool belt, look, size, battery life.

I happily put mine away when I got my Z, but that should sum up the reasons pretty well.
    riss89 likes this.
    11-29-14 03:26 PM
    Love the dream, crazy as it is.

BIS, tool belt, look, size, battery life.

I happily put mine away when I got my Z, but that should sum up the reasons pretty well.
    I've had a few different legacy OS phones, running the latest OS 7, and a few even newer in production & release than the Bold.. tool belt and battery life are synonymous with other legacy devices aside from solely the Bold. It's size was not at all exclusive to its model either, so I'm guessing that it's the looks that separated it in most people's eyes and opinions as this holy grail of BlackBerry phones. Aesthetic appeal can go quite a long way in many aspects of life, but quite frankly it just seems to be the same love of efficiency and productivity that pretty much all BlackBerry models have had, packaged in a shiny metal rim and a keyboard shaped like a smiley face that pulls so many people in lol. That's fair enough I suppose...

+-keystroke queen-+
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-29-14 08:25 PM
    I've had a few different legacy OS phones, running the latest OS 7, and a few even newer in production & release than the Bold.. tool belt and battery life are synonymous with other legacy devices aside from solely the Bold. It's size was not at all exclusive to its model either, so I'm guessing that it's the looks that separated it in most people's eyes and opinions as this holy grail of BlackBerry phones. Aesthetic appeal can go quite a long way in many aspects of life, but quite frankly it just seems to be the same love of efficiency and productivity that pretty much all BlackBerry models have had, packaged in a shiny metal rim and a keyboard shaped like a smiley face that pulls so many people in lol. That's fair enough I suppose...

+-keystroke queen-+
    Dead on! Some folks are fixated on image, and nothing I know of looks more professional imo than the 99x0 phone. It's not how I prioritize my communication device, or anything else in my life. Everyone has their own priorities, and I won't judge them anymore than I should be judged for mine.

Falls under the same heading as platform choice. Whatever makes you happiest, do it! To heck with other's opinions, be they forums, blogs, reviews, news, family or friends. Be who you are, own it, and love it.
    goUSAFblue likes this.
    11-29-14 09:23 PM
    riss89 is no doubt correct to emphasize the physical design of the Bold 9900 and the general efficiency of OS 7. I'd add that the Bold 9900 has the best hardware of all OS 7 devices, so it's the best experience of the platform.

There's one other thing that rarely gets mentioned. While OS 7 had it's limits under the hood, the UI was beautifully designed (and functional).

I should add that I used OS 7 (the latest O2 UK version) for quite a while on the Bold 9900 and saw the spinning timer very rarely. Perhaps that's because I used it without BIS or BES (I used LogicMail for email, and Blackberry Desktop to sync my calendar and contacts). Maybe there were fewer demands on the system? I don't know, but it ran very well.
    riss89 likes this.
    11-29-14 10:54 PM
    Dead on! Some folks are fixated on image, and nothing I know of looks more professional imo than the 99x0 phone. It's not how I prioritize my communication device, or anything else in my life. Everyone has their own priorities, and I won't judge them anymore than I should be judged for mine.

Falls under the same heading as platform choice. Whatever makes you happiest, do it! To heck with other's opinions, be they forums, blogs, reviews, news, family or friends. Be who you are, own it, and love it.
    Lol also fair enough! I definitely respect and understand that. As long as what's done is out of one's own personal desire and liking for it, and not swayed by the popularity contests of "the masses" if you will, I get that. Regarding the hold the Bold has on so many people, for the sake of BlackBerry's survival as a company I'm really hoping the Classic will absorb all the love and infatuation lol. I hope it can bring to the table the same professional class, productivity, feel-good-in-the-hand, and aesthetic appeal. I imagine for BlackBerry that all the legacy holdouts (of which I was one until rather recently) are probably like that child who keeps dragging around that old tattered blanket that got them through so many hard times and has so many fond memories with it while the parents are trying to get them to warm up to some new fairly foreign blanket that's claimed as the newer and better version lol

+-keystroke queen-+
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-30-14 03:14 AM
    riss89 is no doubt correct to emphasize the physical design of the Bold 9900 and the general efficiency of OS 7. I'd add that the Bold 9900 has the best hardware of all OS 7 devices, so it's the best experience of the platform.

There's one other thing that rarely gets mentioned. While OS 7 had it's limits under the hood, the UI was beautifully designed (and functional).

I should add that I used OS 7 (the latest O2 UK version) for quite a while on the Bold 9900 and saw the spinning timer very rarely. Perhaps that's because I used it without BIS or BES (I used LogicMail for email, and Blackberry Desktop to sync my calendar and contacts). Maybe there were fewer demands on the system? I don't know, but it ran very well.
    All the adoration of the Bold has tempted me into considering getting one a few times in the past. I was a die-hard OS7 user and LOVED it! I can find so much pleasure in the simplicity of it, it's user friendliness, it's offering of the essentials. A lot of people would talk about a need for Google maps but I found BlackBerry Traffic to work beautifully. I will say though that a growth in dependency for being connected to the Internet for certain things (or a suitable app) did begin to make it more challenging. Eventually the lack of technical and service support forced me to rely on an iphone 4 backup until I switched carriers and jumped onto BlackBerry 10. My favorite legacy phone was the Curve 9350 tbh, it's such a sleek, light, little phone. I loved it, never lagged, had great sound quality, decent camera, it was awesome. I love small phones. I initially was worried about switching to the Q10 but I quickly found it to be rather small and feels amazing in the hand, and there's nothing software-wise that I've had to go without that I felt I really wanted or needed. I just hope Bold users, who seem so attached to it, and other legacy users give BlackBerry 10 a genuine chance

+-keystroke queen-+
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    11-30-14 03:22 AM
    All the adoration of the Bold has tempted me into considering getting one a few times in the past. I was a die-hard OS7 user and LOVED it! I can find so much pleasure in the simplicity of it, it's user friendliness, it's offering of the essentials. A lot of people would talk about a need for Google maps but I found BlackBerry Traffic to work beautifully. I will say though that a growth in dependency for being connected to the Internet for certain things (or a suitable app) did begin to make it more challenging. Eventually the lack of technical and service support forced me to rely on an iphone 4 backup until I switched carriers and jumped onto BlackBerry 10. My favorite legacy phone was the Curve 9350 tbh, it's such a sleek, light, little phone. I loved it, never lagged, had great sound quality, decent camera, it was awesome. I love small phones. I initially was worried about switching to the Q10 but I quickly found it to be rather small and feels amazing in the hand, and there's nothing software-wise that I've had to go without that I felt I really wanted or needed. I just hope Bold users, who seem so attached to it, and other legacy users give BlackBerry 10 a genuine chance

+-keystroke queen-+
    I have a Z10, and I really tried to like it. The OS is great. The absence of a keyboard ... not so great. So it sits, as another Crackberrian put it, in the drawer of neglect. A Q10 is on the way, and I'm sure it will be the successor to my 9900 (and Pre3).

I have got to have an eBay sale one of these days and clear out said drawer of neglect....
    riss89 likes this.
    11-30-14 10:42 AM