If you are dealing with this whole issue with a "limited batch" of blackberries where they get JVM errors and then don't power on and you're left with a bricked phone, aka a $600 paperweight, then you need to sign this petition.

It is absolutely ridiculous that we are asked to accept Refurbished phones, or having to spend ANOTHER $600 to buy a brand new one, for something that is confirmed by blackberry as THEIR error, not ours. This is why this petition needs to get signed by all of the people affected. Leave your message along with your signature and we'll get this out to RIM!!!

Petition: Research In Motion - Blackberry: Fix or replace the phones that suddenly went dead (bricked) | Change.org
    dhabyany, qbbob and D_Town like this.
    02-05-12 01:38 AM
    I can't believe more people have not signed this. Apparently they have not been on the highway alone at night when their phone has done this to them like mine did.
    02-05-12 01:20 PM
    Well as per another thread here on the forums, the satisfaction rate for the 99xx series seems to be around 85%. 15% are unsatisfied and out of this group, what percentage further had their device brick on them? I hear a lot of people are happy with their 99xx's..
    02-05-12 02:07 PM
    -Phone: Bold 9900
    -Purchased recently. I bought two of them and so far one has died a week after I updated it.
    -I tried so many things to get it to work, without any luck.

-I have never dropped the phone, never over loaded it with junk apps and always took care of it.

-What exactly happened:
    " One day, the phone just refused to turn on (no lights, vibration, nothing at all). Even when I tried charging it, the battery never gave a sign of the charging process.

I have used my phone around 3 AM, at that time I remember the phone having between 25% to 20% of battery life, and was working fine. I went to bed and woke up around 7:30 AM, that is when I found the phone off. I then tried charging it normally because I never thought that it will never turn back on, I assumed that it ran out of battery and that it needed charging. I tried every method of recharge I was able to perform (of the wall, changed the charger, off a USB cord connected to my laptop, etc).

I luckily had a recent back up, because I updated the software then. Yet, I think its ridiculous because I have paid a lot to get this phone (I actually purchased two of them and now I am nervous that the other one will have the same fate).

For now, I am using an older phone (bold 9780) and contacted T-Mobile USA and see if they can help me, and unfortunately they did not have any clue as they claim, about this dilemma. Meanwhile, I found many people owning bold 9900 and 9930 models complaining from the same problem that I have encountered.

My bold 9900 is now collecting dust, please help me solve this problem."
    02-05-12 02:27 PM
    Well it has a warranty. I would use it, refurb or not. A refurb should be thoroughly tested before leaving to be someones phone.
    02-05-12 03:30 PM
    My 9900 just shut down in the middle of the afternoon with over 60% battery left. Worked great for 5 months and was running 7.1. Was able to wipe and reload software but device shuts down or freezes within three minutes of it powering up. Tried lots of os's with the same result. Can't return, bought new unlocked telus 9900 for use on att before it was available. I must be stupid, but gonna buy another one through ATT because I liked the phone so much
    02-05-12 03:45 PM
    Ordered a warranty replacement 9930 today. Second time this phone has bricked but after spending many hours the first time I was able to get it booted. Not so lucky this time. Very frustrating. So glad I still have my bold 9650 to revert to until the replacement 9930 arrives. Can't believe they can't find a fix for this. I suspect it is a hardware boot issue not software.
    Bob
    02-05-12 03:47 PM
    My 9900 just shut down in the middle of the afternoon with over 60% battery left. Worked great for 5 months and was running 7.1. Was able to wipe and reload software but device shuts down or freezes within three minutes of it powering up. Tried lots of os's with the same result. Can't return, bought new unlocked telus 9900 for use on att before it was available. I must be stupid, but gonna buy another one through ATT because I liked the phone so much
    You can't get a replacement thru RIM? It does have a year warranty.
    02-05-12 03:49 PM
    Haven't had a chance to call. Using an old 9700. Has anyone had any sucess obtaining a replacement from RIM? Any idea what number to call?
    vegaspumpkin likes this.
    02-05-12 03:53 PM
    Well as per another thread here on the forums, the satisfaction rate for the 99xx series seems to be around 85%. 15% are unsatisfied and out of this group, what percentage further had their device brick on them? I hear a lot of people are happy with their 99xx's..
    Really? I hear a lot of people say otherwise.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...hreads-668265/

And that's only a handful.

Mine bricked last week for no good reason and I find that utterly unacceptable in a supposedly high-end device.
    02-05-12 03:57 PM
    I doubt this petition will have any affect. But if you must, deliver it. I can't sign it because mine hasn't had those symptoms. I know there will be a mass number of trolls signing it. Way to inflate the numbers.
    02-05-12 04:08 PM
    Haven't had a chance to call. Using an old 9700. Has anyone had any sucess obtaining a replacement from RIM? Any idea what number to call?
    You should have your carrier connect you to them otherwise I think there is a charge for the call but may be taken off if it is a warranty issue.
    02-05-12 04:17 PM
    Really? I hear a lot of people say otherwise.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...hreads-668265/

And that's only a handful.

Mine bricked last week for no good reason and I find that utterly unacceptable in a supposedly high-end device.
    yes, indeed a handful, a 15% handful

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...isfaction+rate
    02-05-12 10:56 PM
    15% VS the other percentage which haven't complained or had this issue. It is outweighed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com using Tapatalk
    02-05-12 11:32 PM
    yes, indeed a handful, a 15% handful

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...isfaction+rate
    You know what I mean't yeah so spare me the wise remarks.

You're quoting one poll yet the link I've provided shows you several EXAMPLES of threads in which people are complaining of the same problem. Whether or not you agree, this is a major issue that is affecting a significant proportion of 99xx users as evident on this and other websites.
    02-06-12 02:46 AM
    You're quoting one poll yet the link I've provided shows you several EXAMPLES of threads in which people are complaining of the same problem. Whether or not you agree, this is a major issue that is affecting a significant proportion of 99xx users as evident on this and other websites.
    You were unlucky, but stop blowing this out of proportion... it is not a major issue, and it only affects a handful of 99xx users.
    02-06-12 03:55 AM
    You were unlucky, but stop blowing this out of proportion... it is not a major issue, and it only affects a handful of 99xx users.
    Well then, let's agree to disagree and leave it at that.
    02-06-12 04:18 AM
    Im not saying the problem is not there, but I hear of way more people that are happy with their 99xx's. Im not saying its alright that some brick, but looking at some numbers, you are definitely the minority. I just dont think the problem is as widespread as people seem to make it. After all.. on the forums all you hear about are the problems..

Plenty people on that thread that say they couldnt be happier with their 9900
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    02-06-12 09:14 AM
    And how many come here to say "mine works fine"? If anyone can sign it, it does leave a lot of room for people from troll island to jump on board. Get a replacement and get on with your life. You have already wasted time you will never get back.
    02-06-12 09:40 AM
    This is not about luck or unluck, this is about making our voice heard so that RIM is forced to pay attention and spend some due efforts to find a solution to revive bricked devices, which is doable by them with proper customers' care.
    02-06-12 12:41 PM
    And how many come here to say "mine works fine"? If anyone can sign it, it does leave a lot of room for people from troll island to jump on board. Get a replacement and get on with your life. You have already wasted time you will never get back.
    I bought 2 devices, one for myself and the other for my close friend whom I persuaded to use BlackBerry instead of Apple iPhone. Ridiculously, mine works fine, but my friend's bricked after just few months. Even that he doesn't blame me, but as the 'a bit more techie' I feel the burden of responsibility to revive his phone to prove my point of the betterness of BlackBerry over the playful iPhone.
    02-06-12 12:47 PM
    This is not about luck or unluck, this is about making our voice heard so that RIM is forced to pay attention and spend some due efforts to find a solution to revive bricked devices, which is doable by them with proper customers' care.
    What are you talking about?

I have no problem with a petition, if it makes you feel better. What I do have a problem with is people thinking this problem is more common and widespread than it actually is.

And if you think a bricked device can ever be revived, then think again... it can't. RIM were only working on a software fix to try and prevent devices from bricking in the first place, not to revive already bricked ones.
    02-06-12 02:19 PM
    If you are dealing with this whole issue with a "limited batch" of blackberries where they get JVM errors and then don't power on and you're left with a bricked phone, aka a $600 paperweight, then you need to sign this petition.
    I'm sorry, but it's threads like this that spread miscommunication and paranoia throughout the community. Yes, there are a very small number of devices that get caught in a reboot cycle and are rendered "bricks", this IS NOT the same as JVM errors. A JVM error can easily be fixed by re-loading the OS. Annoying, yes, but not a bricking scenario.

People are throwing around all these numbers regarding "bricked" phones, but threads like this just prove that in most cases people aren't referring to the same issues which cannot be grouped together to draw any conclusions.
    02-06-12 02:28 PM
    I'm sorry, but it's threads like this that spread miscommunication and paranoia throughout the community. Yes, there are a very small number of devices that get caught in a reboot cycle and are rendered "bricks"

...which cannot be grouped together to draw any conclusions.
    I cannot agree with you. This discussion is serious and is about:

- Warning current happy users not to avoid the common scenario of bricking their devices by overnight charging a depleted phone. Do you yourself dare to do so several times to check if your device is an exemption?

- Making our voices heard by RIM so that they take this more seriously to find a solution to prevent the error and better off to revive dead devices.

The issue has been recognised by RIM in an official anouncement, so your later statement is incorrect.
    Last edited by BUSPBP; 02-06-12 at 07:44 PM.
    02-06-12 07:38 PM
    And if you think a bricked device can ever be revived, then think again... it can't. RIM were only working on a software fix to try and prevent devices from bricking in the first place, not to revive already bricked ones.
    Well, is that just what you say as an expert or RIM's statement?

We want to hear from RIM, or at least if you're so sure about your expertise please work with RIM to issue such a statement. Thank you!
    02-06-12 07:41 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD