I want to get some information on sending messages from a Blackberry (such as the Bold 9900), more specifically text messaging (SMS), PIN-to-PIN messaging, and using Blackberry Messenger.
    In trying to put together a few things I have heard from Blackberry users, a couple of conversations with tech. support, and reading the Blackberry All-in-One for Dummies (2010), it seems like
    (a) true text messaging can sometimes be transmitted even when there is no Internet connection;
    (b) PIN-to-PIN and Blackberry Messenger are limited to sending to and receiving from, other Blackberry users.
    1. So what advantages (if any) are there in using PIN-to-PIN or Blackberry Messenger?
    1-A. Are they just another form of instant messaging (such as through Yahoo or MSN?
    1-B. How do they compare with text messaging?
    1-C. Are they more reliable, faster, more private?
    1-D. Can they sometimes get through when (a) instant messaging and / or (b) text messaging, could not get through?
    2. Are text messages send over a Blackberry somehow different (better) than text messages sent to or from an Android or Windows smartphone?
    A. faster?
    B. more reliable?
    C. more private?
    Any other comments about advantages of Blackberry smartphones over others are also welcome.
    I have an Android smartphone now, though miss the keyboard I used to have a couple years ago (with the Bold 9650). I had the 9650 for a rather short time and never used the messaging services.
    Thanks.
    Jim
    [1-14-12]
    01-14-12 09:47 PM
    Hello Learning, welcome to CrackBerry. Just above your user name is a box labeled "Search CrackBerry", this function will enhance your knowledge concerning any BlackBerry phone or function.

BBM is a pretty cool tool in our shed, so cool in fact, that another platform just adopted a copy of it in their 5.1 OS.

Enjoy CrackBerry, there is a LOT of knowledge here.
    Last edited by AugustArborists; 01-14-12 at 11:02 PM.
    brunolovesbrit likes this.
    01-14-12 10:17 PM
    According to your post on 12-15-11, you were running a 9650 at that time. Now it's a "couple of years ago" on this post?

I realize you said the 9650 had no data plan in the earlier post, but c'mon, move it to a forum where others can't see your "errors" in memory.

Good luck with future endeavors.
    01-14-12 11:21 PM
    I want to get some information on sending messages from a Blackberry (such as the Bold 9900), more specifically text messaging (SMS), PIN-to-PIN messaging, and using Blackberry Messenger.
    In trying to put together a few things I have heard from Blackberry users, a couple of conversations with tech. support, and reading the Blackberry All-in-One for Dummies (2010), it seems like
    (a) true text messaging can sometimes be transmitted even when there is no Internet connection;
    (b) PIN-to-PIN and Blackberry Messenger are limited to sending to and receiving from, other Blackberry users.
    Correct. It also works the other way, "data" messaging can be successful using WiFi when there is no cellular service.

1. So what advantages (if any) are there in using PIN-to-PIN or Blackberry Messenger?
    1-A. Are they just another form of instant messaging (such as through Yahoo or MSN?
    1-B. How do they compare with text messaging?
    1-C. Are they more reliable, faster, more private?
    1-D. Can they sometimes get through when (a) instant messaging and / or (b) text messaging, could not get through?
    In most cases there is no real difference in the end result - a message is delivered. SMS and the data driven services all provide a point to point communication, and either method would do the job equally well. When one of the paths fails it is nice to have redundancy and an option to use the other method, but it is rarely needed.

The major advantages of the BB and other data messaging systems over SMS are delivery confirmation, the ability to send files (images, audio clips, etc), and the fact that unlike SMS there is no extra cost to send to anywhere in the world, it is already part of your data plan.

Reliability and speed at a practical level are usually similar, and potentially subject to the same delays at peak periods like New Year. Both are subject to planned and unplanned service provider technical outages or delays passing from one network provider to another... the message may be delayed but will usually get there when service is resumed.

Privacy... nothing to choose between SMS and the dedicated BlackBerry services. If law enforcement turns up with a court order or warrant they will get whatever data the service provider has stored - otherwise they are at the better end of secrecy. Compare with the (non-) privacy policy of "free" providers like Google where everything can be archived and available for datamining and commercial sale. The usual rule is that quality and privacy are proportional to the price paid for the service - which often puts the "free" providers pretty low in the gutter.

2. Are text messages send over a Blackberry somehow different (better) than text messages sent to or from an Android or Windows smartphone?
    A. faster?
    B. more reliable?
    C. more private?
    SMS messaging doesn't have any dependance on the sending hardware. Data messaging is more dependant on service providers and networking, the hardware doesn't have any impact on these points for speed and reliability, and software has only minor variations in capability. For privacy, see your preferred provider's privacy policy and my comment above.
    EECGeek and learning11 like this.
    01-15-12 08:34 AM
    I was under the impression that BBM messages are encrypted and can't be seen by authorities without a court order to provider, whereas SMS are not encrypted and are screened by authorities, although a court order is still needed to actually screen them.
    01-15-12 08:46 AM
    I was under the impression that BBM messages are encrypted and can't be seen by authorities without a court order to provider, whereas SMS are not encrypted and are screened by authorities, although a court order is still needed to actually screen them.

So leaving aside the risk of corrupt employees or journalists (UK readers will know what I mean) the traffic for either/any method of transmission is only available by following due legal process. In fact "due process" applies in almost every nation, but in some authoritarian states the legal constraints on disclosure are less onerous than in our home nations and in some regimes all messages may be subject to routine screening by state security.
    01-15-12 02:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD