View Poll Results: What kind of problem is this?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Conspiracy

3 37.50%
  • Glitch

2 25.00%
  • Stupid Question

3 37.50%
    I posted an error I was getting a while ago and it seemed like I was the only one in the world who got this error

http://forums.crackberry.com/archive...?t-699246.html

My maps application would not recognize addresses, everytime I clicked an address from a text or an email It would say "http://forums.crackberry.com/archive/index.php?t-699246.html"

It took quite a bit of work, but I narrowed down the culprit. There is a setting in Options/Device/Location Settings/Location Data

"Anonymously collects data to improve the speed and accuracy of future location services"

Mind you this has nothing to do with aGPS which is a different setting, but I turned this setting off, because I do not want my location tracked "anonymously".

However if you turned this setting office that when MAPS wont recognize addresses any more.

In other words, its either you allow your location to be collected, or you lose full fuctionality of blackberry maps.

Thoughts? Conspiracy? or programming glitch?
    03-19-12 06:30 PM
    Glitch on your BB, I always turn that off and maps work perfect.
    03-19-12 07:16 PM
    Same as I. It would be a glitch. Never give out anon info (if I do not have to), maps has always worked.
    illlya likes this.
    03-19-12 07:21 PM
    Glitch on your BB, I always turn that off and maps work perfect.
    My maps works perfectly too for the most part, however, it will not recognize addresses I click on, from messaging. I can enter addresses manually just fine, and pretty much everything else works.
    03-19-12 07:22 PM
    battery pull

Seriously though.. I have seen strange option and menu selection behavior on OS7, and solved through a battery pull.. you got nothing to lose.
    03-19-12 08:14 PM
    My BB Maps work fine.
    03-19-12 08:36 PM
    Open Maps/options/set global map services/ set address recognition to On
    03-20-12 02:15 AM
    Hi...I need to unlock my bb bold 9900...plz suggest
    03-20-12 02:47 AM
    i have got the phone from uk and the provider i was using was Vodafone
    03-20-12 02:48 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-unlocking-f157/
    03-20-12 03:12 AM

It took quite a bit of work, but I narrowed down the culprit. There is a setting in Options/Device/Location Settings/Location Data

"Anonymously collects data to improve the speed and accuracy of future location services"
    I noticed that setting as well when trouble shooting a location problem. I think it sends the GPS location of wifi spots so it can locate you quicker while the GPS is starting up. How I discovered this is by moving a router from my cottage to my home and even though the SSID was changed, BlackBerry Maps would show me at my cottage unless I turned this setting off.

Google Maps will do a similar thing if you are on a PC or Mac and connected by Wifi. It will ask to survey your wifi info and then use that to triangulate where you are based upon the nearby networks. It will not work if I am wired to the router, so the wifi is the source. Probably the reason for collecting wifi when the Google Streetview cars were surveying areas.
    Last edited by robsteve; 03-20-12 at 08:28 AM.
    03-20-12 08:24 AM
    Wrong forum.
    03-20-12 08:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD