Has anyone noticed that if you switch SIM cards on the 9900, then the Blackberry ID screen pops up and asks to sign in with your Blackberry ID. Until you sign in you can't get to the phone functions. There is an option of Sign Out, but if you press that it will wipe the device and then go with the new Sim.
    This becomes a problem if the new Sim card does not have Blackberry Services enabled on it.
    So if you are visiting another country, you can put in a local Sim, but then be ready for a Security Wipe.
    While this makes perfect sense, security vise, there should be an override password to enable the Owner to change Sim cards without wiping the device.
    Maybe I missed the override so if anyone knows the workaround can they post it here.
    08-22-11 01:13 AM
    Sorry to bump this but can anyone verify this?
    08-22-11 11:37 AM
    Yes I can, I explained them 2 times on seperate postings regarding issues with device transfer & BB I'd. Changing SIM will mess up ur bbid

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-11 12:51 PM
    What is the solution for this as i am currently travelling for business and unable to use my 9900 on my alternate SIM which also has data services active?
    08-27-11 10:04 AM
    What happens if you sign in?

I just switched sim cards yesterday, o2 to orange, it asked me to sign in and so I did. I did this fine, even before BB services was enabled on orange.
    08-27-11 10:28 AM
    I like to know the answer to this as well. I travel a lot and like to switch sim card so I don't get charged too much $$$ for roaming. If I put a new sim card in and log in using a different bb id, will it ask me to wipe out all info?
    @crigga84, when you signed in using a different sim card, did you use the same bb id or a different one?
    08-27-11 12:27 PM
    I like to know the answer to this as well. I travel a lot and like to switch sim card so I don't get charged too much $$$ for roaming. If I put a new sim card in and log in using a different bb id, will it ask me to wipe out all info?
    @crigga84, when you signed in using a different sim card, did you use the same bb id or a different one?
    I used the same one.
    08-29-11 05:18 AM
    Has anyone noticed that if you switch SIM cards on the 9900, then the Blackberry ID screen pops up and asks to sign in with your Blackberry ID. Until you sign in you can't get to the phone functions. There is an option of Sign Out, but if you press that it will wipe the device and then go with the new Sim.
    This becomes a problem if the new Sim card does not have Blackberry Services enabled on it.
    So if you are visiting another country, you can put in a local Sim, but then be ready for a Security Wipe.
    While this makes perfect sense, security vise, there should be an override password to enable the Owner to change Sim cards without wiping the device.
    Maybe I missed the override so if anyone knows the workaround can they post it here.
    I'd like to know the answer too. If I'm forced to wipe my device and create a new account, can I go back to my old account if I reinsert my original SIM card? What will happen to all my apps in AppWorld? I can imagine the hassle it would be if I were a businessman that needed to frequently change SIM cards while traveling to different countries.
    09-16-11 03:08 PM
    The new BIS 4.1 update changes this.
    Details are in the change log (was posted on the CB homepage a few days bac). Essentially, post launch the B I'd is going to be tied to the device, not the SIM. You'll be able to swap SIM without any interruption to emails or be forced to wipe.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-16-11 06:01 PM
    BIS 4.1 will be solving this issue as flow of emails won't stop on swapping sims. The new BIS has been launched in India though but the customer care executives at Airtel India are too dumb to understand what is BIS and the keep explaining either my BB Data plan or the new OS7 , on asking about this.
    kzeusr likes this.
    10-08-11 01:25 AM
    Hi, there�s not much help out there with this particular issue so I thought I share this, if like me you�re having problems with your Blackberry 9900 or maybe other models like the Torch or rest of the Bold family experimenting the following: BIS (blackberry internet service) not active, unable to send or receive emails, PIN or Blackberry Messages(maybe receive but not send), unable to access the App World, Blackberry Protects stays on Initializing status and all of this behaviors follows a recent switch of SIM cards.

Let me start by saying that I tried all the usual workarounds on the blackberry site and many other forums, that means, pulling the battery out, wiping the device many times, registering to the network via host route table, copying service books from a working device with the help of the BB desktop manager, calling my carrier many times insisting that the problem was on their end, etc, etc, etc. So if you already tried all of this to no avail, here�s what I did that finally solved the problem.

The problem is related to the blackberry protect app that�s present within the software on most if not all of the post 2009 Blackberry Models, for example in my case wiping the device did not delete the such app, it only prompted me to sign in again once the device restarted after the wipe. Now, this app is designed so that if the device encounters a new SIM card, it will ask the user for a password to prevent the device from being used by someone else, for example a thief. But for some reason if you switch the SIM card more than once it tends to lock the phone from the network end regardless of a correct password. This tends to be confusing because the device is not going to lock itself up and its gonna seem like there something wrong with the network not the phone.

To actually see this click on the signal meter on the main screen of the phone, scroll down and click/tap on service status, scroll down and you�ll see that in BlackBerry Internet Service it says: Not Connected or Unavailable. Another way to realize this is to PIN yourself, go to messages (the envelope icon on the device desktop), push the blackberry button, click compose other, click compose PIN, type your own PIN in the TO: field, type anything in the subject field then send, if you check you inbox once again you�ll find that message highlighted in RED with an X next to it, open it, by clicking it, and the status will read: service bloqued.

So now for the solution,

1-Got to the blackberry protect/id website: https://blackberryid.blackberry.com/bbidX-MEN /login/?callbackuri=aHR0cHM6Ly9wcm90ZWN0LmJsYWNrYmVycnkuY 29tL3Byb3RlY3QvYXcvbG9naW4=&authtype=YmJwcm90ZWN0d 2Vi&css=YmJpZGNzc19ibHVl&locale=ZXM=

2- Log in, then from the left menu click devices.
    3- If you have more than one device registered with the service look for the one having the issues and click on delete on the lower right corner of the device pic.
    4- Take your device connect it to a computer and perform a Backup in with BB Desktop manager.
    5- In the device, perform a security wipe by going to options/security/security wipe scroll down type blackberry and click Wipe Data. Wait�
    6- The device should now have no problems, restore your data from the computer, and then reactivate your email accounts, that could mean reentering all your email info via email wizard if the backup didn�t have your accounts details or if it did you just have to reenter the password for each of them, to do so go to: Setup/ email Accounts / highlight the desired email account, push blackberry button, click Edit, scroll down, click login options reenter your password push Back button then click Save. After that, resend the service books by highlighting your email account press the blackberry button then click on service books, a message should come up saying service books sent, click OK. Do this with each email account you have, the mail icons should reappear on the device desktop, and every other feature in the phone should be active.

If it works for you let everyone know on other places/threads.

Hope it helps.
    11-05-11 11:39 AM
    I travel a lot so switching sims is always an issue for me. This was one SMALL reason I left RIM before to go to iPhone because switching sims was always an issue for me - not an issue with iPhone.

Bought the 9900 a month and a half ago. So I think exactly a month ago I switched the sims. yes- got the log in to bb protect page and put in my password. invalid. invalid. invalid. i gave up. i guess i will have to wipe again whenever i leave and change sims on my phone. (Someone did say to activate wifi before switching sims and maybe this will allow one to connect to BB protect using a new sim afterward - so I kept this in mind just as a workaround.)

Will be leaving in a couple of days so I decided to test it again.

Switched sims, got the BB protect log in page. Voila. It worked.

I did not have to wipe the device.

I switched it back to my normal sim with BB service. It worked again!

So my conclusions are:
    1. BIS 4.1 is active or now active where I am at,
    2. upgrading device OS fixed it, or
    3. both.

11-08-11 08:57 AM
    Hi all,

I have same problem. I travel a lot and every month I change the sim card once.
    But I can not log in because when I have new sim card the BIS is not active.

So what can I do. I really hate this...

Thanks

Frank

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MacBook Pro 15" | 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 | 4 GB | 320 GB HD | HiRes 1680x1050
    iPad 2 | 1.0 GHz Dual-Core | 64 GB | Wi-Fi + 3G | schwarz
    iPhone 4 | 32 GB | schwarz
    11-08-11 09:59 AM
    Hi all,

I have same problem. I travel a lot and every month I change the sim card once.
    But I can not log in because when I have new sim card the BIS is not active.

So what can I do. I really hate this...

Thanks

Frank

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MacBook Pro 15" | 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 | 4 GB | 320 GB HD | HiRes 1680x1050
    iPad 2 | 1.0 GHz Dual-Core | 64 GB | Wi-Fi + 3G | schwarz
    iPhone 4 | 32 GB | schwarz
    try it again. i tried it a few days ago with a sim that was not bb-enabled. my 9900 allowed me to access my phone without wiping it. like i said this worked for some reason the other day but didn't some weeks ago. good luck
    11-10-11 06:49 AM
    Hi, there�s not much help out there with this particular issue so I thought I share this, if like me you�re having problems with your Blackberry 9900 or maybe other models like the Torch or rest of the Bold family experimenting the following: BIS (blackberry internet service) not active, unable to send or receive emails, PIN or Blackberry Messages(maybe receive but not send), unable to access the App World, Blackberry Protects stays on Initializing status and all of this behaviors follows a recent switch of SIM cards.

Let me start by saying that I tried all the usual workarounds on the blackberry site and many other forums, that means, pulling the battery out, wiping the device many times, registering to the network via host route table, copying service books from a working device with the help of the BB desktop manager, calling my carrier many times insisting that the problem was on their end, etc, etc, etc. So if you already tried all of this to no avail, here�s what I did that finally solved the problem.

The problem is related to the blackberry protect app that�s present within the software on most if not all of the post 2009 Blackberry Models, for example in my case wiping the device did not delete the such app, it only prompted me to sign in again once the device restarted after the wipe. Now, this app is designed so that if the device encounters a new SIM card, it will ask the user for a password to prevent the device from being used by someone else, for example a thief. But for some reason if you switch the SIM card more than once it tends to lock the phone from the network end regardless of a correct password. This tends to be confusing because the device is not going to lock itself up and its gonna seem like there something wrong with the network not the phone.

To actually see this click on the signal meter on the main screen of the phone, scroll down and click/tap on service status, scroll down and you�ll see that in BlackBerry Internet Service it says: Not Connected or Unavailable. Another way to realize this is to PIN yourself, go to messages (the envelope icon on the device desktop), push the blackberry button, click compose other, click compose PIN, type your own PIN in the TO: field, type anything in the subject field then send, if you check you inbox once again you�ll find that message highlighted in RED with an X next to it, open it, by clicking it, and the status will read: service bloqued.

So now for the solution,

1-Got to the blackberry protect/id website: https://blackberryid.blackberry.com/bbidX-MEN /login/?callbackuri=aHR0cHM6Ly9wcm90ZWN0LmJsYWNrYmVycnkuY 29tL3Byb3RlY3QvYXcvbG9naW4=&authtype=YmJwcm90ZWN0d 2Vi&css=YmJpZGNzc19ibHVl&locale=ZXM=

2- Log in, then from the left menu click devices.
    3- If you have more than one device registered with the service look for the one having the issues and click on delete on the lower right corner of the device pic.
    4- Take your device connect it to a computer and perform a Backup in with BB Desktop manager.
    5- In the device, perform a security wipe by going to options/security/security wipe scroll down type blackberry and click Wipe Data. Wait�
    6- The device should now have no problems, restore your data from the computer, and then reactivate your email accounts, that could mean reentering all your email info via email wizard if the backup didn�t have your accounts details or if it did you just have to reenter the password for each of them, to do so go to: Setup/ email Accounts / highlight the desired email account, push blackberry button, click Edit, scroll down, click login options reenter your password push Back button then click Save. After that, resend the service books by highlighting your email account press the blackberry button then click on service books, a message should come up saying service books sent, click OK. Do this with each email account you have, the mail icons should reappear on the device desktop, and every other feature in the phone should be active.

If it works for you let everyone know on other places/threads.

Hope it helps.
    i'm facing the same issue and ur post was really very helpful....i tried deleting my device from bb protect account and then security wiped it....nd then created a new bb protect account when the phone restarted, jst to be safe.....but it didn't work i still cudn't connect to the bb server...so i deleted bb protect from my device by editing permissions. can u tel me wat am i doing wrong or do i need to try some thing else....

i have a blackberry bold 9900
    11-11-11 02:57 AM
    this is my concern when i first upgrade to .474 yesterday...

i don't know if it's just my phone but after the upgrade, i have to turn on the radio manually after reboot.

That means i need to wipe my device everytime i visit another country. blerghh..

p/s: thank god for the leaked .503... my phone is back to normal.
    11-11-11 03:22 AM
    so whats the solution to this i got a friend stuck in Dubai with a Bold 9900 and a pay as you go DU simcard with BB Services active facing the same issue how can you solve this pls help.
    02-29-12 09:15 AM
    You'll have to make sure to be at a wifi area and have wifi on and connected before swapping sim's. It did that to make when testing a telus sim on this 9900 to get the unlock code working, the sim doesn't even have to be working. It took 9 minutes before it was dismissed. Just be patient.
    02-29-12 02:35 PM
    Not to worry. Even if your SIM card doesnt have a data plan, just input your BB ID and Password. I think the ID and password is stored on your phone so no internet access is required.

- Charles
    02-29-12 10:02 PM
    Dear All,

I have a big problem!

i have sim unlocked blackberry 9780 with a vodafone bb data plan. I am currently in mexico and i switched the sim card for a prepaid data plan for a month from movistar.

The thing is.. i am connect to the bb server, but when i try to use bbm and email, the message are not sent because the service is blocked! although i do have the bb sign in on the right top side, indicating i am connected to the bb servers.

So i have internet, only it is blocked. I also know this because i can still browse internet (there you dont need a bb service for)

Well reading your posts it is probably the bb protect service which is the factor blocking my services. So i deleted my account at blackberry protect. I also did a security wipe of the phone and restored all setting after.

After a reboot i still had blocked services, so i deleted the bb protect app. it did not make it better.

what can i do? the sim card is ok because i can access internet, the bb data plan on the new sim card is also good because i can see by the bb sign in the homescreen that it is conenected.

so my phone is at fault here but i dont know what else i can do. i also tried resending the service books several times.

please help!!!
    03-02-12 07:07 PM
    Go to options, type in host routing table, select it, then hit menu > register now.

If that doesn't help, you're out of luck. You might need to have the carrier that's not prepaid to remove the IMEI# from your account and then re-add it when you get back in the country.

Dear All,

I have a big problem!

i have sim unlocked blackberry 9780 with a vodafone bb data plan. I am currently in mexico and i switched the sim card for a prepaid data plan for a month from movistar.

The thing is.. i am connect to the bb server, but when i try to use bbm and email, the message are not sent because the service is blocked! although i do have the bb sign in on the right top side, indicating i am connected to the bb servers.

So i have internet, only it is blocked. I also know this because i can still browse internet (there you dont need a bb service for)

Well reading your posts it is probably the bb protect service which is the factor blocking my services. So i deleted my account at blackberry protect. I also did a security wipe of the phone and restored all setting after.

After a reboot i still had blocked services, so i deleted the bb protect app. it did not make it better.

what can i do? the sim card is ok because i can access internet, the bb data plan on the new sim card is also good because i can see by the bb sign in the homescreen that it is conenected.

so my phone is at fault here but i dont know what else i can do. i also tried resending the service books several times.

please help!!!
    03-02-12 09:15 PM
    Go to options, type in host routing table, select it, then hit menu > register now.

If that doesn't help, you're out of luck. You might need to have the carrier that's not prepaid to remove the IMEI# from your account and then re-add it when you get back in the country.

Dear All,

I have a big problem!

please help!!!
    03-02-12 09:22 PM
    this problem keeps on giving.

i just got a new Bell SIM card in Canada. It didn;t like my BB pswd so I rest it. Ive tried it a few times and i only have one attempt left before my phone locks down. When i go online it recongnizes my new pswd so when will it take effect?
    10-07-13 01:38 PM
    this problem keeps on giving.

i just got a new Bell SIM card in Canada. It didn;t like my BB pswd so I rest it. Ive tried it a few times and i only have one attempt left before my phone locks down. When i go online it recongnizes my new pswd so when will it take effect?
    Please refer to my post:

10-07-13 01:51 PM
    ok, i haven't seen all the comments here, but in my experience responding on this question, it's not wiping, it's just signing off to your current account in every apps installed on your bb, i tried many sim in several occasion using my #BB9900 and i observed that it is indeed happening.

e.g., foursquare, its not working the check in function if you are in roaming mode, in normal sim it is working. bbm is indeed changing and need to sign in over and over as well as the rest of your apps.

furthermore, i have question as well, is there's any way also to enable prepaid internet unlimited sim to work with our device, i observed that it not working unless you are subscribe in bb package on your network, pls advise.
    Last edited by itsmecarr; 10-08-13 at 12:46 AM.
    10-08-13 12:24 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD