It is funny that you want to even keep that many texts. I use them for business, too and would never need to look back so far. You are fighting a losing battle as NO device was designed to maintain that much crap.
    "That much crap"???

The internal memory of my 9930 can store 250,000 standard-sized word documents, 70,000 megapixel pictures and 500,000+ emails.

And you're telling me that 60,000 text messages (which translates to a combined grand total of 2MB - the same memory required for 2 minutes of music) is "that much crap"...???

This is exactly the type of comment I would expect from a glorified BB fanboy.

It's sad that fanboys like yourself can't acknowledge that a phone shouldn't have limitations on how many texts, emails, pictures, videos, songs, WHATEVER can be stored on the phone with the ONLY exception being the actual physical storage capacity (internal and external) of the phone itself.

What if you stored several hundred pictures on your phone and when you went to view them on your phone, it slowed to a crawl... taking several seconds to go from one image to the next. And when you tried to use your camera it would freeze for 15-20 seconds immediately after you took each picture. Then you come to this forum to search for answers as to why the phone is acting this way (when really it shouldn't).

Then I, a fellow Crackberry member, responded to your pleas for help with - "who the heck needs to store that many pictures on their phone... I also take lots of pictures but 500+ images is way overkill. Just delete them or back them up to your computer and stop your whining. No phone on the market was designed to handle that much crap".

See how brilliant you sound?

A $500 phone that is just released in this technologically advanced day and age should not have these kinds of ridiculous limitations. It's absurd and needs to be addressed by RIM. Period.
    Last edited by pj737; 08-29-11 at 02:43 AM.
    08-29-11 02:40 AM
    "That much crap"???

The internal memory of my 9930 can store 250,000 standard-sized word documents, 70,000 megapixel pictures and 500,000+ emails.

And you're telling me that 60,000 text messages (which translates to a combined grand total of 2MB - the same memory required for 2 minutes of music) is "that much crap"...???

It's sad that fanboys like yourself can't acknowledge that a phone shouldn't have limitations on how many texts, emails, pictures, videos, songs, WHATEVER can be stored on the phone with the ONLY exception being the actual physical storage capacity (internal and external) of the phone itself.

What if you stored several hundred pictures on your phone and when you went to view them on your phone, it slowed to a crawl... taking several seconds to go from one image to the next. And when you tried to use your camera it would freeze for 15-20 seconds immediately after you took each picture. Then you come to this forum to search for answers as to why the phone is acting this way (when really it shouldn't).

Then I, a fellow Crackberry member, responded to your pleas for help with - "who the heck needs to store that many pictures on their phone... I also take lots of pictures but 500+ images is way overkill. Just delete them or back them up to your computer and stop your whining. No phone on the market was designed to handle that much crap".

A $500 phone that is just released in this technologically advanced day and age should not have these kinds of ridiculous limitations. It's absurd and needs to be addressed by RIM. Period.
    This happens quite often. You criticize a device for it's shortcomings and the fanboys feel like they've been insulted and snap back.
    08-29-11 03:03 AM
    I don't think it is good to have that much messages. I am wondering how blackberry protect backup all your messages...
    08-29-11 04:09 AM
    I am all for slapping the faces of fanboys to the pavement. But to be honest did it ever cross you as odd that 15K txts a month, and archived 65K txt's is a bit borderline for something of your needs to which I would presume documentation through email archiving would better suit you and would probably be better managable in terms of the processing power being allocated as such?

I would somehat understand if this were a RIM issue, but honestly I've not come across one comapny that has created a mobile device that manages texts to the sheer amount (though as you say in actual filesize is not much). You have a very specific issue that has arrisen from you taking a feature and using it to an extreme not meant for, and you then want to bash a single company for not tailoring a solution that would benefit very few people.

Though one thing I could completely agree with is that.. RIM should definately have better management options like deleting tetxs past a certain date etc... But to say RIM is fail because there is lag with texting with someone of your calibur is just unfounded reasoning. I'll find you some real straightforward things to bash if you wish to see where they royally fl0ped.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    kwalia71 likes this.
    08-29-11 04:24 AM
    Though one thing I could completely agree with is that.. RIM should definately have better management options like deleting tetxs past a certain date etc...

I thought they did, you can keep them 15 30 60 90 120 150 180 days or forever

08-29-11 04:35 AM
    I thought they did, you can keep them 15 30 60 90 120 150 180 days or forever

Nope... that's for email only. If they had that option for text as well, I wouldn't have started this thread.
    08-29-11 04:59 AM
    I am all for slapping the faces of fanboys to the pavement. But to be honest did it ever cross you as odd that 15K txts a month, and archived 65K txt's is a bit borderline for something of your needs to which I would presume documentation through email archiving would better suit you and would probably be better managable in terms of the processing power being allocated as such?

I would somehat understand if this were a RIM issue, but honestly I've not come across one comapny that has created a mobile device that manages texts to the sheer amount (though as you say in actual filesize is not much). You have a very specific issue that has arrisen from you taking a feature and using it to an extreme not meant for, and you then want to bash a single company for not tailoring a solution that would benefit very few people.

Though one thing I could completely agree with is that.. RIM should definately have better management options like deleting tetxs past a certain date etc... But to say RIM is fail because there is lag with texting with someone of your calibur is just unfounded reasoning. I'll find you some real straightforward things to bash if you wish to see where they royally fl0ped.

OK, so on one hand, you're saying RIM's text message management options are sorely lacking (interpreted by your "RIM should definitely have better management options" comment) but on the other hand you're saying that it's not right for me to bash RIM because their text management options are sorely lacking?

Hmmmm...

So... I am a weird mass/crazy/inordinate texting machine that is so out of touch with the typical user that I have no right to complain... right?

Again, my phone is freezing dead in its tracks and it's because of one reason only - too many texts in one thread. And I shouldn't have the right to complain because I still have these two wonderfully acceptable options -

1) Delete the ENTIRE thread which includes every single SMS and MMS message with that person and start a brand new fresh and clean thread with the exact same person.

2) Go back and individually delete, ONE BY ONE, the comments that I don't feel are necessary to save and revisit in the future.

Then, a few days later when the phone starts freezing again, repeat either 1 or 2 again.

Keep doing this for perpetuity.

It's no wonder why genuinely unbiased BB owners that haven't been drinking the RIM kool-aid are scratching their heads when they get bashed for making legitimate complaints about RIM's failures and weaknesses.
    Last edited by pj737; 08-29-11 at 05:19 AM.
    08-29-11 05:16 AM
    Nope... that's for email only. If they had that option for text as well, I wouldn't have started this thread.
    Ok ok, I thought if you integrate it in the messages inbox it worked.

What's stopping you from saving important texts and then clicking on a date bar of your chioce and select delete prior?

08-29-11 06:03 AM
    I don't think Berries are the phones that have issues with high sms counts:
    Reached the 75,000 SMS Limit, Now I can't recieve Texts! - iPhone Forum

How about switching over to email? You can archive them on your desktop as needed, and all won't be lost if your phone ever gets lost/stolen/damaged.
    08-29-11 09:24 AM
    I don't think Berries are the phones that have issues with high sms counts:
    Reached the 75,000 SMS Limit, Now I can't recieve Texts! - iPhone Forum
    Really? This has to turn in to a phone pissing contest? I think the point is, phones in general are not made to store that many texts.
    bigbamboo likes this.
    08-29-11 09:30 AM
    They are not. Doesn't matter which device you use. If someone relies that heavily on text messages, then they either need a better system of filing/mngt or buy/download an app that will do it for you. (Text Message Backup version 3.0), or use an SMS app that also archives your texts.
    08-29-11 09:54 AM
    Really? This has to turn in to a phone pissing contest? I think the point is, phones in general are not made to store that many texts.

I'm not turning this into a phone pissing contest. I'm simply pointing out that this problem isn't exclusive to BlackBerries as the OP had indicated in one of his posts.

Mind you I meant to say "are the only phones" not "are the phones". That's what happens typing on a Playbook keyboard at 6:30 am

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Blackberry Guy; 08-29-11 at 10:08 AM.
    08-29-11 10:02 AM
    ...or - and I know this may be a stupid-sounding idea for some people and probably wouldn't really be ideal for those good folks w/ hundreds of texts - but sometimes if I only want to save one or a handful for reference or whatever I just take a screenshot of them. Alternatively, copy the text message and then paste it into something like Evernote. Or try the Elcomsoft Backup Explorer.
    Just a couple of ideas...
    Last edited by tard44; 08-29-11 at 10:19 AM.
    08-29-11 10:07 AM
    I had a feeling I would get this kind of response... "65K texts... that's way too much for any phone to handle".

But seriously... we are talking 65,000 texts (NOT 65,000 THREADS) that average about 30 characters each. That's about 2,000,000 characters that is stored in the phone. It takes 1 megabyte to store roughly 1,000,000 characters of text... so the texts consume a whopping 2MB of storage. Of course, I am probably oversimplifying because there are other things to consider... 65K text messages is nothing for a phone as advanced and powerful as the Bold Touch.

Another thing to consider is that I send/receive about 15K texts a month... so 65K texts isn't exactly that many texts to store - it's only about 4 months worth. I could understand a phone bogging down with 65K emails... but 65K text messages? C'mon!
    24x60= 1440 minutes per day x 30 days = 43200 minutes per day/ 15000 texts = a text received or sent every 2.88 minutes. That's of course if no one ever sleeps or takes a day off. That's a funny number.

08-29-11 10:15 AM
    OK, so on one hand, you're saying RIM's text message management options are sorely lacking (interpreted by your "RIM should definitely have better management options" comment) but on the other hand you're saying that it's not right for me to bash RIM because their text management options are sorely lacking?

Hmmmm...

So... I am a weird mass/crazy/inordinate texting machine that is so out of touch with the typical user that I have no right to complain... right?

Again, my phone is freezing dead in its tracks and it's because of one reason only - too many texts in one thread. And I shouldn't have the right to complain because I still have these two wonderfully acceptable options -

1) Delete the ENTIRE thread which includes every single SMS and MMS message with that person and start a brand new fresh and clean thread with the exact same person.

2) Go back and individually delete, ONE BY ONE, the comments that I don't feel are necessary to save and revisit in the future.

Then, a few days later when the phone starts freezing again, repeat either 1 or 2 again.

Keep doing this for perpetuity.

It's no wonder why genuinely unbiased BB owners that haven't been drinking the RIM kool-aid are scratching their heads when they get bashed for making legitimate complaints about RIM's failures and weaknesses.
    Let me sum up exactly what I wanted to say since you seem to have gotten the wrong idea.

You text to much, to the degree where the things you want to do specifically there doesn't exist one mobile device or carrier that has offered any solution because you indeed are a very exceptional user who wants to stretch what can be done conventionally with text messages. And I only hope the for peole of you calibur would have the situation made a bit more acceptable by RIM having filtering and selecting options in order to better delete messages a certain way (since they pride themselves with their communication services more than anything).

You seem to froget we live in a world where mobile companies are making millions off nickle and diming people. Heck we can't even transmit out mobile signal (tether) to our laptops these days without some extra fee (because of the relatively wild west nature of this industry), so for you to want something that no other phone does and then to blame it solely on RIM is folly. And your issues could be rectified using another mode of archiving whether that be email or whatever.

That's exactly what I was trying to say.
    08-29-11 09:21 PM
    I can definitely relate to your issue as I have also noticed with my 9900 whenever I'm bbming and that chat window is still open I would hear the ringtone that I've received new msg but I wouldn't see it for couple a seconds like the phone "freezes".

What I also noticed is when you're downloading anything on App World you still see the "clock" icon in the middle of the screen after couple of kbs like it stops and loads. Its sad to see that even with "upto 21mb/s" speed it still takes forever to download. I really thought "the new powerful Bold" would eliminate these little things but I guess not.

I really regret upgrading to the 9900. If I knew that little things like these would still be around and the battery life being horrible, would have kept my 9780.

08-29-11 11:03 PM
    "That much crap"???

Woah! :P

Well some of us are just not able to replicate this issue you are having. I send and receive plenty of texts and emails (I get gobs of emails forwarded to my BB all day). Just to say that your text messages are 2MB is a bit on the low side. I am sure SMS messages have some type of header just like an email. You are correct though, SMS doesn't take up tons of memory.

I believe the person who mentioned data corruption could be on to something. If you had an issue with your old phone carry over to your new phone (new OS, new Phone, new Everything) then the issue is likely the data and not the phone. Also I believe you can set up auto deletion from the device after a message reaches a certain age.

What if you stored several hundred pictures BLAH BLAH BLAH UNPRODUCTIVE RANT

Then I, a fellow Crackberry member, responded to your pleas for help with BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH crap".

You are making a HUGE assumption that all RIM phones act this way. Two different phones acting very similar with the same data. I would think the data is to blame first. There has to be a way to reindex the BB databases. That may solve your woes.
    08-30-11 05:11 PM

I really thought "the new powerful Bold" would eliminate these little things but I guess not.

I really regret upgrading to the 9900. If I knew that little things like these would still be around and the battery life being horrible, would have kept my 9780.

My thoughts exactly.
    08-30-11 05:12 PM

I would think the data is to blame first. There has to be a way to reindex the BB databases. That may solve your woes.

Perhaps it's the data... but I'm dreading the prospects of deleting every single text message from my phone. I would be severely crippled with work... so much that I'd rather deal with the problems I'm having.

I hope there is a way to reindex or "clean" the text database like you said. I'm hoping someone will come up with a solution soon!
    08-30-11 05:23 PM
    Sounds like your messages are also doubling as a notes database. You should separate those two functions.

I can suggest using something better suited, like IdeaMatrix in conjunction with RexConnect, by RexWireless.

When you install it, RexConnect is available in the BB menu. You can use it to quickly inject a text message into IdeaMatrix. IMX is an idea/note database that is also searchable by progressive typing, just like universal search. You can also browse and file the entries efficiently, and you can use RexConnect from IMX to forward any note via text again.

You can even just use RexConnect alone to inject text messages into the Memos app. It's a couple of taps from the menu.

08-30-11 05:37 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD