Those that text heavily know that RIM has had significant memory issues with their phones.

I was eagerly anticipating the new Bold Touch as my understanding was that the new phone would not have the same memory problems.

Well, I'm here to report that the exact same texting issues/memory problems that plagued the two year old 8650 is occurring on this new updated phone. Very disappointing to say the least.

Most people don't have this issue because they periodically clear out their text messages. The problem occurs for users (mostly business professionals that rely heavily on texting) that don't clear out text threads because they want to keep their past text messages for future record. For example, I have several colleagues that I text regularly; there is often important information in these texts (similar to emails) that I revisit on occasion. The information assists me with my profession and allows me to be more efficient (e.g. I don't have to text again asking the same question I did two weeks ago). Sometimes, the information within texts is invaluable and can create big problems if I didn't have access to them. The introduction of Universal Search made this often valuable/important information easily accessible.

So what is the problem? Texting slows to a crawl when you communicate with an individual where the message thread contains a couple hundred or more entries. The longest delays occur mostly when receiving texts (as opposed to sending). And this is not to be confused with the actual service (I am with Sprint). The service works fine... it is 100% undeniably an issue with the phone... likely a memory management issue. When a text message (SMS or MMS) is sent to me, the phone will, within seconds, show the receive arrow a couple times in the upper right hand corner of the screen... between that exact time and when the text actually is readable on your phone, the phone will completely freeze from 5 seconds to as long as 1 minute (average about 10-15 seconds), at this time the spinning square clock will appear in the center of the phone. When the delay occurs, you cannot enter information into the send box. However, sometimes you can type into the send box and the phone will "try" to catch up as it unfreezes... but more times than not, many letters/words will be missing once the text appears after it unfreezes. This happens almost all the time when communicating with people that have 200+ message threads.

You can probably imagine just how frustrating this can be when you are having an actual conversation via text (rapidly texting back and forth). It makes you want to pull your hair out. It's also very embarrassing because the person you are texting is wondering why on earth it's taking so long to respond... when you WANT to respond... but CAN'T.

I am coming here desperately hoping to find a solution to what amounts to a tremendous amount of frustration for me. Please don't tell me that I should continually delete my text messages because for one, there is no way to "delete prior" texts as there is with emails... you literally have to go in and delete each text message individually OR delete the entire thread and start fresh. And two, I don't see how such a "powerful" phone with significantly increased memory can't handle something as simple as sending/receiving texts just because there are a higher number of texts within a thread. It's absolutely absurd.

A phone in this day and age (especially a brand new one from a company that supposedly makes efficient professional workhorses as opposed to "toys") should be able to handle texting regardless of how many messages are within a thread. I'm still trying to wrap this whole thing around my head. Are the engineers at RIM that out of touch with their customers and their wants/needs? Or am I all alone in this world that I like to keep records of texts for future reference AND still have the ability to text people without the phone incessantly freezing?

Someone please help!
    Last edited by pj737; 08-26-11 at 03:26 PM.
    08-26-11 03:12 PM
    What OS are you on?

What method did u use to transfer the texts from your old phone to your new one?

Maybe there's a chance that you have been transferring files inefficiently and its carrying over the lag?

Are there any other people that have this problem as well?

I don't ever have any lag in my texts but I'm guessing you probably have more than me...
    08-26-11 04:08 PM
    What OS are you on?

What method did u use to transfer the texts from your old phone to your new one?

Maybe there's a chance that you have been transferring files inefficiently and its carrying over the lag?

I don't ever have any lag in my texts but I'm guessing you probably have more than me...
    OS 7.0 Bundle 1296 (v7.0.0.241, Platform 5.0.0.442)

I used DM to transfer the files over. I had a total of 65,000 entries (SMS and MMS, 99.9% were SMS though - I rarely send pics). Transfer went flawlessly. I had some problems transferring emails but that was resolved with a separate back up/restore.

To clarify, the lag/freeze only occurs when it is receiving. As long as I don't have a text incoming, I can fire off multiple texts without any freezing, pretty much indefinitely.

Now to add even more strange behavior... I noticed that my phone duplicated a couple of the threads (they were right on top each other). When I tried to delete one of the threads, it would delete the content of BOTH threads (with identical names) but the thread still remained... but was completely empty. When I attempted to text that person in that new blank thread, I would type into the box, press send and the text just disappeared. It didn't end up in the log - it was blank.
    08-26-11 04:28 PM
    This is such BS. Well known hey? don't effen think so.
    08-26-11 04:32 PM
    This is such BS. Well known hey? don't effen think so.
    Thanks! That was a very helpful post.
    08-26-11 04:37 PM
    What OS are you on?

Is there a way to transfer the message threads without carrying over the lag? How can it be done not "inefficiently"?
    08-26-11 04:38 PM
    Are you implying that 65,000 entries is a small amount? Try this on any other phone and watch the phone completely cripple.
    08-26-11 04:41 PM
    It's also due to the fact that they're threaded SMS messages now...so with 65k messages and some of them quite large, I doubt there will be a solution soon. I wonder if using the saved message feature would help?

BTW, this forum freezes often while saving a pot, and that's on a server and PC - not sure you should expect better from your BB
    08-26-11 04:47 PM
    I do not think that ANY phone was meant to handle 65,000 text messages. I know you want/need them but it is ridiculous for you to expect the 9900 to handle them efficiently. You need to go back to what ever device was dealing well with them as there would be few!
    Wretch 12 and mssca like this.
    08-26-11 05:08 PM
    I had a feeling I would get this kind of response... "65K texts... that's way too much for any phone to handle".

But seriously... we are talking 65,000 texts (NOT 65,000 THREADS) that average about 30 characters each. That's about 2,000,000 characters that is stored in the phone. It takes 1 megabyte to store roughly 1,000,000 characters of text... so the texts consume a whopping 2MB of storage. Of course, I am probably oversimplifying because there are other things to consider... 65K text messages is nothing for a phone as advanced and powerful as the Bold Touch.

Another thing to consider is that I send/receive about 15K texts a month... so 65K texts isn't exactly that many texts to store - it's only about 4 months worth. I could understand a phone bogging down with 65K emails... but 65K text messages? C'mon!
    08-26-11 05:38 PM
    It's also due to the fact that they're threaded SMS messages now...so with 65k messages and some of them quite large, I doubt there will be a solution soon. I wonder if using the saved message feature would help?

BTW, this forum freezes often while saving a pot, and that's on a server and PC - not sure you should expect better from your BB
    I'm not sure what you mean by quite large... but my average text has about 30 characters (some are long but most are just a few words). I think you're assuming I have 65K threaded messages... which would be a lot.
    08-26-11 05:40 PM
    Are you implying that 65,000 entries is a small amount? Try this on any other phone and watch the phone completely cripple.
    I totally disagree. I know several people with Androids or iPhones that have thousands of texts in one thread... with NO memory problem... NO transfer/back up problems whatsoever.

This is definitely an issue exclusive to Blackberry. Any other phone would have NO problem.
    mssca likes this.
    08-26-11 05:43 PM
    I totally disagree. I know several people with Androids or iPhones that have thousands of texts in one thread... with NO memory problem... NO transfer/back up problems whatsoever.

This is definitely an issue exclusive to Blackberry. Any other phone would have NO problem.
    Ok... General Messaging Problems - Android Forums

I bet I can find a ton of these...
    Wretch 12 likes this.
    08-26-11 05:46 PM
    Not to mention the android low memory sms bug that was around forever...
    mssca likes this.
    08-26-11 05:52 PM
    Those that text heavily know that RIM has had significant memory issues with their phones.

I was eagerly anticipating the new Bold Touch as my understanding was that the new phone would not have the same memory problems.

Well, I'm here to report that the exact same texting issues/memory problems that plagued the two year old 8650 is occurring on this new updated phone. Very disappointing to say the least.

Most people don't have this issue because they periodically clear out their text messages. The problem occurs for users (mostly business professionals that rely heavily on texting) that don't clear out text threads because they want to keep their past text messages for future record. For example, I have several colleagues that I text regularly; there is often important information in these texts (similar to emails) that I revisit on occasion. The information assists me with my profession and allows me to be more efficient (e.g. I don't have to text again asking the same question I did two weeks ago). Sometimes, the information within texts is invaluable and can create big problems if I didn't have access to them. The introduction of Universal Search made this often valuable/important information easily accessible.

So what is the problem? Texting slows to a crawl when you communicate with an individual where the message thread contains a couple hundred or more entries. The longest delays occur mostly when receiving texts (as opposed to sending). And this is not to be confused with the actual service (I am with Sprint). The service works fine... it is 100% undeniably an issue with the phone... likely a memory management issue. When a text message (SMS or MMS) is sent to me, the phone will, within seconds, show the receive arrow a couple times in the upper right hand corner of the screen... between that exact time and when the text actually is readable on your phone, the phone will completely freeze from 5 seconds to as long as 1 minute (average about 10-15 seconds), at this time the spinning square clock will appear in the center of the phone. When the delay occurs, you cannot enter information into the send box. However, sometimes you can type into the send box and the phone will "try" to catch up as it unfreezes... but more times than not, many letters/words will be missing once the text appears after it unfreezes. This happens almost all the time when communicating with people that have 200+ message threads.

You can probably imagine just how frustrating this can be when you are having an actual conversation via text (rapidly texting back and forth). It makes you want to pull your hair out. It's also very embarrassing because the person you are texting is wondering why on earth it's taking so long to respond... when you WANT to respond... but CAN'T.

I am coming here desperately hoping to find a solution to what amounts to a tremendous amount of frustration for me. Please don't tell me that I should continually delete my text messages because for one, there is no way to "delete prior" texts as there is with emails... you literally have to go in and delete each text message individually OR delete the entire thread and start fresh. And two, I don't see how such a "powerful" phone with significantly increased memory can't handle something as simple as sending/receiving texts just because there are a higher number of texts within a thread. It's absolutely absurd.

A phone in this day and age (especially a brand new one from a company that supposedly makes efficient professional workhorses as opposed to "toys") should be able to handle texting regardless of how many messages are within a thread. I'm still trying to wrap this whole thing around my head. Are the engineers at RIM that out of touch with their customers and their wants/needs? Or am I all alone in this world that I like to keep records of texts for future reference AND still have the ability to text people without the phone incessantly freezing?

Someone please help!
    OK I suppose what is confusing me which would not be the first time where it says you have the older Curve but do you indeed have a new Bold and if so which one or which device do you have?

Second when you mention that your text is lagging and or frezzing only during an incoming text, What indication do you get that you are waiting for this text, that it is lagging or slow getting to you? I am just trying to understand to seeif indeed it has to do whith anything you transfered to your new device. Thanks
    08-26-11 05:54 PM
    OS 7.0 Bundle 1296 (v7.0.0.241, Platform 5.0.0.442)

I used DM to transfer the files over. I had a total of 65,000 entries (SMS and MMS, 99.9% were SMS though - I rarely send pics). Transfer went flawlessly. I had some problems transferring emails but that was resolved with a separate back up/restore.

To clarify, the lag/freeze only occurs when it is receiving. As long as I don't have a text incoming, I can fire off multiple texts without any freezing, pretty much indefinitely.

Now to add even more strange behavior... I noticed that my phone duplicated a couple of the threads (they were right on top each other). When I tried to delete one of the threads, it would delete the content of BOTH threads (with identical names) but the thread still remained... but was completely empty. When I attempted to text that person in that new blank thread, I would type into the box, press send and the text just disappeared. It didn't end up in the log - it was blank.
    This is strictly a curiousity question because i use the saved messages feature mainly for important emails or license keys I might get for a 3rd party software but what is the reson for anyone to save and then transfer that many SMS/MMS messages instead of maybe getting them off and saving them to a different location off your device??
    08-26-11 06:01 PM
    OK I suppose what is confusing me which would not be the first time where it says you have the older Curve but do you indeed have a new Bold and if so which one or which device do you have?

Second when you mention that your text is lagging and or frezzing only during an incoming text, What indication do you get that you are waiting for this text, that it is lagging or slow getting to you? I am just trying to understand to seeif indeed it has to do whith anything you transfered to your new device. Thanks
    Thanks... I just purchased a 9930. I should have noted that in the original post.

The indication I receive is the upper right hand corner of my screen... the upload/download arrow appears briefly when a text is "received"... at that point the phone will freeze (I'm assuming it's trying to process the received SMS packet?) for an average 10-15 seconds... sometimes a little shorter and sometimes a lot longer. The delay happens all the time but the duration of the delay is inconsistent.
    08-26-11 06:05 PM
    This is strictly a curiousity question because i use the saved messages feature mainly for important emails or license keys I might get for a 3rd party software but what is the reson for anyone to save and then transfer that many SMS/MMS messages instead of maybe getting them off and saving them to a different location off your device??
    I'm an engineer and work on site (out of the office) about 30% of the time. I have several employees and we all communicate (very effectively) by text message. All of them own have the iPhone with the exception of myself. Often times, we text measurements and tons of numerical data that is derived onsite... often times we text while on a phone call or in the middle of meetings. We basically use it as a form of note taking and note sharing... notes that we don't want to lose in the future. It's fast, effective and very convenient for all of us.

I was totally looking forward to the benefits of Universal Search because it allowed me to pull up all texts related to a specific job or project. A simple keyword could get me to a specific location in a thread that had all related information in texts chronologically before and after. It was a huge efficiency booster to me... and I was almost positive that the delay/lag would go away on this much more powerful phone. It didn't... and in some cases actually got worse.
    08-26-11 06:10 PM
    Your text message database sounds borderline corrupted. So I think there's a lot more going on here than you think.
    08-26-11 06:15 PM
    Is there a way to delete texts similar to the way you can delete emails (by date)? I absolutely cannot delete the entire thread on many of my contacts. I have about 50 contact where I need to retain at least the most recent 30 days or so of texts. Is there a way to tackle that?

Also, what is the best way to back up the texts (so that they are still readable/accessible) but get them out of the actual thread? Or maybe off the phone?
    08-26-11 06:20 PM
    I'm an engineer and work on site (out of the office) about 30% of the time. I have several employees and we all communicate (very effectively) by text message. All of them own have the iPhone with the exception of myself. Often times, we text measurements and tons of numerical data that is derived onsite... often times we text while on a phone call or in the middle of meetings. We basically use it as a form of note taking and note sharing... notes that we don't want to lose in the future. It's fast, effective and very convenient for all of us.

I was totally looking forward to the benefits of Universal Search because it allowed me to pull up all texts related to a specific job or project. A simple keyword could get me to a specific location in a thread that had all related information in texts chronologically before and after. It was a huge efficiency booster to me... and I was almost positive that the delay/lag would go away on this much more powerful phone. It didn't... and in some cases actually got worse.
    pj in respect to search I am certain that can still work for you and believe I understand that need to have so many texts but like a PC or other device there are times that you simply cannot keep that many texts on your device and might suggest creating a folder which you then move them all into and then transfer this folder.

I think this is would I would do and on rare occasions i now understand the sending and receiving data arrows which i have had happen at times but not on my new 9930, on my Tour. I think I would give time to playing with different ideas and remember... "New Device" so it might rectify itself. Good luck and it never hurts as I mentioned to try different things.

I have found that the stuck data arrows tend to deal mainly with just data at the time coming and going where you are at and the taxing on the cell towers just at that time.
    08-26-11 06:23 PM
    It is funny that you want to even keep that many texts. I use them for business, too and would never need to look back so far. You are fighting a losing battle as NO device was designed to maintain that much crap.
    08-27-11 06:39 AM
    Here's an idea for you, you get an important sms, highlight it press menu and select save. Easy, now you can delete all the junk texts and only keep the important ones. If you have keyboard shortcuts enabled you can access them simply by pressing V from home screen.

Couldn't be easier.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-11 06:54 AM
    I'm a heavy texter and send between 1500 and 3000 texts a month, and I've never notived an issue. I'm yet to delete a single conversation since the day I got the phone, and probably have around 2500 sent and received message.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-27-11 07:13 AM
    if it is a memory issue, have you tried clearing your memory daily?

also, the idea of getting an app to migrate threads to a folder on your hard drive may work for you too.i am going to look into that option as my threads get too long and it takes forever to scroll through to find what i am looking for.

by moving to a folder, each sub thread could have a folder title.

anyone know a good app that does that? addto is supposed to, but it has not been upgraded to handle os 7.
    08-27-11 07:44 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD