I have been plagued by this problem for a long time (ever since I had BlackBerry)... The BIS updates never fixed it when I had my 9530 and 9630. I figured that when I went to OS7 it would all work out but it hasn't.

The symptoms:

- If I delete a new message on my phone (choose On Mailbox & Handheld) it comes right back the next time I receive mail (sometimes sooner than that).

- If I read a new message on my Gmail it never shows as read on my BlackBerry

- If I delete a message on my Gmail it never deletes on my BlackBerry

- If I read a new message on my BlackBerry it never shows as read on my Gmail

- If I respond to an email on my BlackBerry it does show up in the "thread" on my Gmail.

- If I archive a message on my Gmail it does not disappear from my BlackBerry inbox.

In other words I seem to have absolutely no sync between my Gmail and Blackberry. Can anyone help?
    08-24-11 10:20 AM
    I had the same frustration as you did and I'm sad to say that blackberry just isn't 100% gmail friendly...
    08-24-11 10:30 AM
    I did a little test series and these were my outcomes:

Test 1: Read on Gmail
    Outcome: Does not show as read on BlackBerry

Test 2: Read on BlackBerry
    Outcome: Shows as read on Gmail

Test 3: Delete (new mail) on BlackBerry
    Outcome: Email is still visible in Inbox but it is also visible in Trash (as unread). It does not show up if I check “All Mail”.

Test 4: Delete (read mail) on BlackBerry
    Outcome: Email is still visible in Inbox and is unread. It is not visible in “All Mail”. It is visible in Trash as unread.

Test 5: Delete (new mail) on Gmail
    Outcome: Does not delete on BlackBerry

Test 6: Delete (Read mail) on Gmail
    Outcome: Does not delete on BlackBerry (or show read)

Test 7: Archive (read mail) on Gmail
    Outcome: Does not archive on BlackBerry (or show read)

Test 8: Archive (read mail) on BlackBerry
    Outcome: Does not archive on Gmail Inbox (or show read). It still shows as unread in All Mail.
    08-24-11 10:58 AM
    That's basically the same results I get on my 9650. It's sad to know they didn't do anything about it on the newer model.
    08-24-11 11:19 AM
    I have the same issues, it is infuriating. It works even worse than with the Gmal Plugin in OS6 and OS5. This is a serious, serious flaw on RIM's part.

Also, after several issues, I have come to reliza that if I archive an email it wil break the 2 way syncing with my device, literally it wouldn't work until I set up the email account again.

Edit: Also, I am going to blame VZ on this too, I remember having this exact same issues with my 9650 but non, and I mean ZERO with my 9780 on T-Mobile.
    Can you tell me what carriers do you have?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-11 12:20 PM
    Isn't this a POP3 vs. IMAP issue? Is your Gmail configured for IMAP connectivity?

More info here
    08-24-11 02:11 PM
    I have Verizon. My Gmail is configured for IMAP.

08-24-11 03:22 PM
    That's basically the same results I get on my 9650. It's sad to know they didn't do anything about it on the newer model.
    That would be because the gmail syncing is controlled by the BIS server, not the handset software which just syncs with BIS.

BTW the iPhone handles gmail syncing perfectly.
    08-24-11 03:24 PM
    I had this exact problem today when I downgraded from 296 to 261.

I was not getting emails. What I had to do was delete the email accounts from the Email Setup, then re-add them one at a time again.

I got the activation email immediately and emails started flowing properly then
    08-24-11 03:24 PM
    I readded the account numerous times. I even made a test Gmail account to test it out.

08-24-11 03:32 PM
    I setup my G/F's Gmail account on her 9900 and it syncs just fine. I don't think it's a phone issue...
    08-24-11 03:35 PM
    I had problems setting up my 9930 with Gmail. I was using the priority inbox and when I setup my 9930 I found I had to go back to classic as I could not make the BB show mail that was prioritized by Gmail to other folders.

Gmail integration to BB has always been sketchy at best. Every once in a while they pop out an announcement that the BIS upgrade is going to majorly improve Gmail integration but it ever seems to do that.
    08-24-11 03:36 PM
    Never had problems with GMAIL. mind you, I have always shrunk the GMAIL plugin though. Dont know if that matters. I don't need it and I hate it
    08-24-11 03:37 PM
    Never had problems with GMAIL. mind you, I have always shrunk the GMAIL plugin though. Dont know if that matters. I don't need it and I hate it
    What is your carrier?

08-24-11 03:54 PM
    Du, which is a carrier in Dubai

But what does the carrier have to do with syncing?

The fix is simple as there is a bug somewhere when upgrading / downgrading an OS in OS 7 I noticed

I just delete the accounts from email setup. do a battery pull, then readd them again, works like a charm

I confirm by sending each of the emails a test account and they receive it instantly
    08-24-11 03:56 PM
    Du, which is a carrier in Dubai

But what does the carrier have to do with syncing?

The fix is simple as there is a bug somewhere when upgrading / downgrading an OS in OS 7 I noticed

I just delete the accounts from email setup. do a battery pull, then readd them again, works like a charm

I confirm by sending each of the emails a test account and they receive it instantly
    The BIS instance is associated with the carrier. Its BIS which does the syncing. It's more likely an issue with changing the device PIN than with OS 7 specifically.
    08-24-11 04:21 PM
    I have tried several times to delete and re add my Gmail and I am still having issues, 2 way sync is not working for me, almost at all. I have not tried doing a battery pull but I will now. However, I do think is a. BIS issue, again, for some reason this issues are all too familiar with Verizon, I had my 9780 with T-Mobile for 8 months and never had a single issue.

08-24-11 05:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD