Question...Both phones (Apollo & Dakota) have GSM in the fine print which means Verizon will not get either...right?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    If they only make a GSM model then no, Verizon will not get it.
    It's as if RIM is no longer interested in CDMA products.
    01-13-11 10:01 AM
    This IS AT&T 4g ...not lte tho...that fake 4g..lol
    01-13-11 10:21 AM
    This IS AT&T 4g ...not lte tho...that fake 4g..lol
    Is it TMO as well or only AT&T?
    01-13-11 10:25 AM
    Looks neat, something that RIM should have done some time ago. I had a Motorola Charm which is basically the same thing but I got rid of it in a hurry due to Motorola's ****ty attitude towards their devices and customers. Also I saw the CPU spec somewhere on the Apollo, it should be the same for this Dakota.

And isn't Verizon moving towards LTE soon?
    01-13-11 10:28 AM
    And isn't Verizon moving towards LTE soon?
    Yes, but RIM isn't any time soon.
    01-13-11 10:29 AM
    Verizon has LTE up and running - but the only device I know of that supports it is their Wifi Hotspot - no actual phones.

I do wonder if AT&T/T-Mobile etc. plan to call LTE 5G or something...since it will obviously be faster than their "fake 4G"...the whole thing, by the way, should be illegal (in my opinion). It reeks of false advertising.
    01-13-11 10:32 AM
    Why would people want to have blown out specs for a phone with a screen of this size, I mean it s not like you will play amazing 3D games or watch a huge amount of videos on a 2.8 inch screen (or you are not with the right device). I mean, I understand those requirement for bigger screen where you can fully use and enjoy those high specs. But this dakota is clearly oriented towards people who want to work and communicate efficiently (and touchscreen can help a lot for that), with a great battery life, while also being able to kill some time from times to times by watching a vid, pic or browse the web on a high DPI screen.
    makaveli28 likes this.
    01-13-11 10:33 AM
    Yes, but RIM isn't any time soon.
    That depends on your definition of soon. I think we are supposed to see RIM LTE devices in 2012...and 2012 will also bring the first LTE iPhone...so they're not too far behind in that category.

My understanding is that LTE radios are still large compared to normal radios and so a tiny form factor is not possible for an LTE phone yet...
    01-13-11 10:34 AM
    Earlier rumors suggested that the new line of BBs will have 1 GHz processors with the exception of the Curve series being 800 Mhz. The new Curve that just leaked claims to be 800 MHz. So maybe this is 1 GHz...
    01-13-11 10:43 AM
    Probably not any time soon. As much as I want to get it, I have a feeling it's not coming out until this summer.

I'd be okay with this summer, just not next year
    01-13-11 11:02 AM
    I'd be okay with this summer, just not next year
    Having just bought the Torch I wouldn't be willing to buy any new phone until August (1 year early discount becomes available) and then I'd want to have my 1 year ready for a QNX/LTE phone...it makes the timing very difficult.
    01-13-11 11:08 AM
    No new processor, no QNX, no front camera. Not good enough to keep me from switching.

Probably 2012 (or later) before we get a "SuperPhone" from Blackberry with QNX. Also, I won't be surprised to see additions to the "refreshed" Blackberries on the way if the Dakota and the new Curve are released this year. A lot of time has passed since we first heard about this device. Lol, I'll wait until it's actually released to the carriers before I get all excited and "happy feet" over it.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 01-13-11 at 12:01 PM.
    01-13-11 11:14 AM
    Hmmm, so is the Dakota the same as the Montana?
    01-13-11 11:16 AM
    If this is Blackberry's savior, then RIM is screwed. Why oh why do they keep releasing the same phone over and over again?
    01-13-11 11:24 AM
    If this is Blackberry's savior, then RIM is screwed. Why oh why do they keep releasing the same phone over and over again?
    Higher resolution touch screen, HD video recording, faster processor, more memory....how is this the same phone?
    01-13-11 11:30 AM
    Why do you keep saying this? They added a touch screen, their first screen resolution about 480x360, hd video, and a higher processor (atleast 800mgz since that is what the new curve has). They have not had a touch and key hybrid before so how is it the same phone?
    01-13-11 11:31 AM
    First ever BB with touchscreen and keyboard in candybar form factor...how is it the same phone? Does Apple release the same phone over and over again too (and are they screwed as well)?

And who called is BlackBerry's savior? If anything could be called that, I'd say it's the QNX operating system...
    01-13-11 11:38 AM
    I love the form factor of my Bold. If it had a touchscreen to go with it for quickly selecting items I would be extremely happy!!
    01-13-11 11:44 AM
    ALL candybar phones look alike and, ALL landscape slider look alike..
    01-13-11 11:47 AM
    It's not really the same phone this time, but the candybar form factor is very popular and I myself love the form factor, if there were another Android phone besides the Charm I'd be using it but I'm going back to BB soon anyways, I kind of miss the Curve 8530 and I'll probably be picking up a 9780 or this depending on how soon it comes.
    01-13-11 12:43 PM
    If a lot of my friends are still on BB then I might replace my 9700 with this when it releases. Only reason why I'm even considering this is pretty much for BBM and the physical keyboard.
    01-13-11 01:01 PM
    I was just considering ditching my Blackberry Torch when my upgrade would be due in April and now RIM goes and develops this.....if this really is similar to the Bold 9000 form factor I am so in there....I swear I am never getting a slide phone again it will be candybar from now on.

Gotta admit it looks rather nice.....
    01-13-11 01:02 PM
    Considering the info about the Torch 2 now I will have a very hard time deciding what to do...

1) Go back to my long-desired Bold 9000 form factor with a touch screen.
    2) Stay with my newly loved Torch slider...which has grown on me and made me forget about my 9000.
    3) Skip both and save my money and upgrade for some dual-core LTE QNX device.

I guess the plan is to just wait and see how the time-frames develop for product launches.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    01-13-11 01:13 PM
    Considering the info about the Torch 2 now I will have a very hard time deciding what to do...

1) Go back to my long-desired Bold 9000 form factor with a touch screen.
    2) Stay with my newly loved Torch slider...which has grown on me and made me forget about my 9000.
    3) Skip both and save my money and upgrade for some dual-core LTE QNX device.

I guess the plan is to just wait and see how the time-frames develop for product launches.

A lot of us will be making that decision. Lol. As far as No. 3, I still remember how long have we been hearing off and on about the Dakota. Finally. Well, almost.
    01-13-11 01:30 PM
    I can't stress enough........maybe I am just a simpleton BUT all along I have said all my 9700 lacks is a touch screen. In fact, when I first got it, the screen was so bright I kept trying to touch icons thinking(dreaming) it was a touch device.

I would break my contract, give my left arm, stand in line for days, and pay huge sums of money to have this phone. Would they think me to strange if I go get in line today?

When is it coming out!!?!?!?!?!?!?
    01-13-11 01:36 PM
82 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD