01-13-11 08:02 AM
    No new processor, no QNX, no front camera. Not good enough to keep me from switching.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-11 08:17 AM
    y do rim always have to work off the back of an old device. why cant they produce something with at least some new styling.

common rim
    01-13-11 08:20 AM
    I am pretty excited by this device! loved the 9000 form factor...
    01-13-11 08:24 AM
    And the magnum?

01-13-11 08:28 AM
    Sorry RIM, I'm still leaving for an iPhone.
    01-13-11 08:30 AM
    I'm sure this will be a good device. But my two cents are that this is the device RIM should of had on the market a good year and a half to a year ago. The specs might be beefy compared to what RIM currently has out but compared to today's standard of competition, doesn't make the cut in my eyes. I mean come on RIM, ok you say dual core processors are a while away but everyone else has been dealing with 1 GHz single core processors for a long time now.
    Last edited by Mr. Marco; 01-13-11 at 08:40 AM.
    01-13-11 08:36 AM
    I am pretty excited by this device! loved the 9000 form factor...
    I'm with you all the way. I woke up to a very delightful blog.
    Man, I really can't wait till they release it.
    I've been due for an upgrade with at&t since september but I can't stand to not have the
    Bold 9000 Form Factor.
    Dreams have came true weither or not the specs are right.

01-13-11 08:37 AM
    I'm sure this will be a good device. But my two cents are that this is the device RIM should of had on the market a good year and a half to a year ago. The specs might be beefy compared to what RIM currently has out but compared to today's standard of competition, doesn't make the cut in my eyes. I mean come on RIM, ok you say dual core processors are a while away but everyone else has been dealing with 1 GHz single core processors for a long time now.
    Where does it say anything about the processor on the spec list?

01-13-11 08:45 AM
    If it has an upgraded processor, it is right with the competition. Memory is comparable and even better than many phones since most still have 512mb, the screen resolution for the size of the screen is great, hd video. The only thing I can see it doesn't have is a front facing camera, and even then there are many phones that don't have that either. Hopefully they included a good processor.
    01-13-11 08:45 AM
    I for one am all for the Bold 9000 form factor making a return. Congrats on RIM finally making a touchscreen w/ a physical keyboard (I wont mention my Treo I rocked in 2004 had this lol).

The only problem I see with this phone is if it is not 4G. Very few people are going to buy 3G phones and get locked into a 2 year contract when all you hear about is how great 4G is.

Bring it to Verizon, make it LTE, and put QNX on it and you have a buyer in myself.
    01-13-11 08:48 AM
    Another GSM phone, great! W.T.H. RIM have you completely given up on CDMA? Oh wait, I forgot about the Style (BFD). I guess if I want a new touchscreen phone on Verizon, RIM is forcing me to go Android.
    Joneser2006 likes this.
    01-13-11 08:53 AM
    Wonder how soon they would release this, I am definitely excited about this.
    01-13-11 08:55 AM
    Another GSM phone, great! W.T.H. RIM have you completely given up on CDMA? Oh wait, I forgot about the Style (BFD). I guess if I want a new touchscreen phone on Verizon, RIM is forcing me to go Android.
    x2. the only issue for me is i really want a hardware keyboard. this is perfect. minus the fact it's a cdma phone. if sprint didn't have an exclusive on the style, i'd get that. i just hope this, or something similar, is out for vzw in june...if not, android may be the next step, until the qnx bb's arrive...
    01-13-11 08:57 AM
    This is certainly a tempting thought to replace my Torch. I feel like I'd only be losing a bit on screen size...but that will be made up for with a higher resolution...

Obviously you can't help but note that the current specs are missing two highly anticipated upcoming features: LTE and QNX. It will be difficult to upgrade knowing that those features may be available shortly thereafter...

As for the processor, no one knows what it will be as far as I know. I will be surprised if it isn't an upgrade over the 624 Mhz RIM has been using for years now.

Tempting, but I'd certainly want to wait and see what the time-line for future QNX/LTE devices looks like at release. Would RIM actually make us wait a long time for this device considering that timing? Seems strange.
    Last edited by jeffreii; 01-13-11 at 10:25 AM.
    howl078 likes this.
    01-13-11 08:57 AM
    If it has an upgraded processor, it is right with the competition. Memory is comparable and even better than many phones since most still have 512mb, the screen resolution for the size of the screen is great, hd video. The only thing I can see it doesn't have is a front facing camera, and even then there are many phones that don't have that either. Hopefully they included a good processor.
    the RAM in upcoming Android devices is DDR2 PC class rated at 512 mb and 1 Gb. Even at 512 mb it easily outclasses the RIM flash memory.

And yes we don't know what processor it will have yet, but I'll bet it won't even be a 1 GHz one. Simply because I bet OS 6 is not compatible with processors that are different than the ones RIM is currently using.
    01-13-11 09:05 AM
    I have a 9700 and am wondering how much bigger the screen size is on the Dakota. I'm hoping it's significant because I can't imagine using my Bold's screen for touch as it's just too small.
    01-13-11 09:21 AM
    I think for what bberrys are primarily used for, this device seems to be pretty good. The 9000 is my all time favorite blackberry
    01-13-11 09:34 AM
    I'd just like to know an estimate on when this would surface in the stores because I will forgo a 9780 whenever it comes out to wait for this if it isn't too much longer after that.
    01-13-11 09:35 AM
    I'd just like to know an estimate on when this would surface in the stores because I will forgo a 9780 whenever it comes out to wait for this if it isn't too much longer after that.
    Probably not any time soon. As much as I want to get it, I have a feeling it's not coming out until this summer.

01-13-11 09:39 AM
    "Tavor MG-1 800MHz CPU" is listed as the CPU for the next generation Curve "Apollo" by BGR.

You have to assume the Dakota would be at least that or better, right?

Exclusive: Next-generation BlackBerry Curve appears, brings specs with it | BGR | Boy Genius Report
    01-13-11 09:40 AM
    Question...Both phones (Apollo & Dakota) have GSM in the fine print which means Verizon will not get either...right?

01-13-11 09:49 AM
    Good Grief. This is the phone that should be in stores NOW! I know I am a bit whiney today, but good grief, when is Verizon going to get a new BlackBerry that I can upgrade to. I am starting to get mad.
    01-13-11 09:50 AM
    I’ve been reading through this forum and although there’s not much information so far on the Dakota and its hard to tell from the picture but is this the Bold 9000 Form Factor ????? I HOPE so.
    01-13-11 09:51 AM
    Good Grief. This is the phone that should be in stores NOW! I know I am a bit whiney today, but good grief, when is Verizon going to get a new BlackBerry that I can upgrade to. I am starting to get mad.
    With all the new phones they're putting out that aren't compatible for VZW, its almost like they want us to go and buy an iPhone! I love my bberry, but RIM has nothing for VZW!

01-13-11 09:56 AM
82 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD