so with Verizon killing 3g Dec2019 and BB killing BIS across all carriers, it's pretty much game over for my 9900

my plan was to hold out until Dec 2019, then switch to AT&T with BB Classic since they are not killing their 3g yet...is this a decent plan?

I know OS10 is EOL but is that really going to matter for basic use? BB Classic won't work on Verizon post-dec2019 so I have to switch carriers
    10-06-18 09:50 AM
    But I suppose if BB10 will be EOL, probably servers for BlackBerry 10 will be shut down also. Means no emails through the HUB.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-07-18 05:14 AM
    I seriously recommend a KEYone/KEY2/KEY2 LE
    10-07-18 05:16 AM
    so with Verizon killing 3g Dec2019 and BB killing BIS across all carriers, it's pretty much game over for my 9900

my plan was to hold out until Dec 2019, then switch to AT&T with BB Classic since they are not killing their 3g yet...is this a decent plan?

I know OS10 is EOL but is that really going to matter for basic use? BB Classic won't work on Verizon post-dec2019 so I have to switch carriers
    I wouldn't recommend using a BB10 after 2019. You just never know what bits will work and for how long.
    Not a very reliable choice.
    Get the KEY3 or whatever phone that will be available at that point of time.
    10-07-18 05:46 AM
    I bought a Verizon Classic for $40 because I realized that if something were to happen to my 9930 tomorrow I wouldn't even be able to put another one on my account...so got it as a spare...plus will have a chance to play around with it and see how I like it

Would email on BB10 really stop working through hub?
    10-07-18 06:01 AM
    Nobody (outside of BlackBerry Limited) knows for sure how BB10 will be affected on January 1, 2020.

At best, it will keep working like it did the day before, but without access to BlackBerry World.

But in addition to that, there are also the issues with the continually degrading browser performance and outdated Android 4.3 runtime.

If you fully understand what you are getting into and BB10 meets all your needs, then go for it.

But I strongly suggest giving the KEY2 or KEY2 LE a try, as they will definitely meet your minimum requirements and will enjoy hardware and software support for at least another 3 years.

The time to look into alternatives is now, not Jan 1 2020 when you suddenly find that your BB10 no longer does what you need.

I love the KEY2. The keyboard is brilliant, it looks fantastic, it's fast and responsive, has amazing battery life, and it has all the apps I need. Coming from a BlackBerry Q10, it's taking some time to get used to, but overall it's been worth it.
    SuperFister and the_boon like this.
    10-07-18 06:54 AM
    maybe I will get lucky and they will put out another candybar blackberry before end of 2019....i'm so deeply addicted to my 9930 that I just can't tear myself any further than a Blackberry Classic right now...i went through about 10 bb 9930's
    lukeoverhere likes this.
    10-07-18 08:01 AM
    maybe I will get lucky and they will put out another candybar blackberry before end of 2019....i'm so deeply addicted to my 9930 that I just can't tear myself any further than a Blackberry Classic right now...i went through about 10 bb 9930's
    It'll probably all be (just about) over by 01/01/2020

I'd say it's better to support BB Mobile by purchasing their current KEY devices to help ensure we get more coming down the line, than hold on to relics which essentially will stop functioning sooner than later and then worst case scenario be left with nothing but boring glass on glass slabs
    Last edited by the_boon; 10-07-18 at 09:22 AM.
    anon(10321802) likes this.
    10-07-18 08:43 AM
    But I suppose if BB10 will be EOL, probably servers for BlackBerry 10 will be shut down also. Means no emails through the HUB.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    This is NOT true. BB10 does not require BlackBerry servers for email or any other data other than the following:
    A) apps
    B) automated account set up in the Hub
    C) enterprise BES accounts
    D) BBM
    E) BlackBerry Protect
    F) BBID validation for BlackBerry Link

Everyday services like email, tasks, calendar and contact syncing do not require BlackBerry servers at all. BB10 will perform these normal functions until the data exchange protocols change for those services.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    10-07-18 09:04 AM
    I got my classic today and....honestly it's a very rough transition...the Bold is a LOT more practical and intuitive in so many ways
    10-12-18 05:52 PM
    If the only thing you want to do with your Classic is calls, texts, emails and some light surfing, you should be ok in 2020.

There is a real risk that if any of the standards change for things like sms, email providers, than you will be severely limited. The browser is already very limited and we still have 15 months to go until the official EOL date.

Long story short, if you get one for cheap as a transition from the 9900 and can get a little use out of it and keep it as a backup, great.

Don't buy it under the assumption that your going to be doing a lot of things with it in 2-3 years time.

Either way, good luck

Posted via CB10
    10-12-18 11:52 PM
    I got my classic today and....honestly it's a very rough transition...the Bold is a LOT more practical and intuitive in so many ways
    Haha, welcome to the pain. Lol. Classic's toolbelt, especially trackpad, makes it the most modern contender for a sorta Bold, imo. That said, it's a poor substitute for Bold, imo. Best we have but a poor best, imo. Such is the state of "modern" priorities. Lol.

My best performance on Classic achieves about 85% of 9900. For both type rate and for daily message handling. BB10's UX lost nearly EVERYthing Bold did so well. BB10 improved on BBOS' miserable memory management but lost SOoo much of BBOS UX's fabulously collaborative "Little Moments of Delight" refinements. Hardware wise, Classic's oversized & overweight form factor also contributes to its performance handicap. For my use case, at least.

Non-toolbelt Q10 approaches Bold's exquisite type rate at about 95%, in my hand, but sacrifices general productivity for lack of toolbelt, convenience key, charging contacts, etc. Imo. Of course Q's OS still suffers the same loss of UX refinements as Classic (don't get me started on original BB10.0.0!! Lol) but Q's lack of toolbelt, combined with TOO small screen for efficient touch UX, makes text selection & editing painful misery. Imo. As you know, trackpad makes screen size irrelevant. which is a BIG reason Classic remains most modern of single handed masters. Despite its oversized form.

Also, I contend that ANY handset lacking physical phone control keys should NOT be referred to as a "phone". Lol. Which technically makes Classic the most modern example of a true smartPHONE, imo. Flawed as it is. Lol.

BB10 clearly didn't prioritize continuity that might've generated legacy migration incentive. So too sad. Migration that MIGHT have assisted to secure BB10 survival. The only thing worse, is everything else. Lol. Including Android, imo.

K1 & 2 have their charms but typing rate and rapid fire, real time, message exchanges are not part of those charms. They are simply TOO big for efficient single handed operation. Which means too many message replies get delayed too many times throughout too many typical days. Classic's toolbelt could make the K's SOoo much more proficient! Oh well, TCL certainly didn't ask folks like me when they applied "super sized glass thinking" to a PKB "productivity tool" reality. Lol.

My type rate, a year into K1, still languishes around 30-35% of Bold. Daily throughput suffers similarly. I'm actually faster on my D60 slab! Supersize slab provides obvious benefits to VKB typing. Similar super-sizing of PKB handsets, in contrast, becomes counter productive at some point. TCL has found that threshold, imo.

In fact, if forced to employ both hands while typing, why not employ all ten fingers and get the task DONE? Carting & using my Toughbook laptop provides superior daily productivity over my gargantuan K! Loss of 9900's real time availability WILL hurt!

I've, personally AND professionally, "supported" PKB niche with purchases of virtually every PKB BB model since 9900. Each step of this 7 year odyssey I've fretted that purchasing larger & larger handsets only encourages them to design larger & larger handsets. Here we are. Lol.

All of that said, time is running out for our BIS handsets. About half of the VZW 9650s remaining in my company have already ceased BIS. My "smart guys" are still working that issue but I suspect VZW 9930's days are counting down. How long will BB10 survive execution attempt? ??? Long term outlook, Android is as good as it gets. As poor as the option is. Which is why I already own Ks. Till "execution day", at least, every day of productivity adds to my retirement account. I plan to leverage every minute of productivity possible from 9900. Then Classic... Then...??? K? Toughbook?? Apple??? All three?? Pretty painful "progress", imo. Lol.
    Last edited by idssteve; 10-15-18 at 09:08 AM.
    10-15-18 08:45 AM
    Haha, welcome to the pain. Lol. Classic's toolbelt, especially trackpad, makes it the most modern contender for a sorta Bold, imo. That said, it's a poor substitute for Bold, imo. Best we have but a poor best, imo. Such is the state of "modern" priorities. Lol.

My best performance on Classic achieves about 85% of 9900. For both type rate and for daily message handling. BB10's UX lost nearly EVERYthing Bold did so well. BB10 improved on BBOS' miserable memory management but lost SOoo much of BBOS UX's fabulously collaborative "Little Moments of Delight" refinements. Hardware wise, Classic's oversized & overweight form factor also contributes to its performance handicap. For my use case, at least.

Non-toolbelt Q10 approaches Bold's exquisite type rate at about 95%, in my hand, but sacrifices general productivity for lack of toolbelt, convenience key, charging contacts, etc. Imo. Of course Q's OS still suffers the same loss of UX refinements as Classic (don't get me started on original BB10.0.0!! Lol) but Q's lack of toolbelt, combined with TOO small screen for efficient touch UX, makes text selection & editing painful misery. Imo. As you know, trackpad makes screen size irrelevant. which is a BIG reason Classic remains most modern of single handed masters. Despite its oversized form.

Also, I contend that ANY handset lacking physical phone control keys should NOT be referred to as a "phone". Lol. Which technically makes Classic the most modern example of a true smartPHONE, imo. Flawed as it is. Lol.

BB10 clearly didn't prioritize continuity that might've generated legacy migration incentive. So too sad. Migration that MIGHT have assisted to secure BB10 survival. The only thing worse, is everything else. Lol. Including Android, imo.

K1 & 2 have their charms but typing rate and rapid fire, real time, message exchanges are not part of those charms. They are simply TOO big for efficient single handed operation. Which means too many message replies get delayed too many times throughout too many typical days. Classic's toolbelt could make the K's SOoo much more proficient! Oh well, TCL certainly didn't ask folks like me when they applied "super sized glass thinking" to a PKB "productivity tool" reality. Lol.

My type rate, a year into K1, still languishes around 30-35% of Bold. Daily throughput suffers similarly. I'm actually faster on my D60 slab! Supersize slab provides obvious benefits to VKB typing. Similar super-sizing of PKB handsets, in contrast, becomes counter productive at some point. TCL has found that threshold, imo.

In fact, if forced to employ both hands while typing, why not employ all ten fingers and get the task DONE? Carting & using my Toughbook laptop provides superior daily productivity over my gargantuan K! Loss of 9900's real time availability WILL hurt!

I've, personally AND professionally, "supported" PKB niche with purchases of virtually every PKB BB model since 9900. Each step of this 7 year odyssey I've fretted that purchasing larger & larger handsets only encourages them to design larger & larger handsets. Here we are. Lol.

All of that said, time is running out for our BIS handsets. About half of the VZW 9650s remaining in my company have already ceased BIS. My "smart guys" are still working that issue but I suspect VZW 9930's days are counting down. How long will BB10 survive execution attempt? ??? Long term outlook, Android is as good as it gets. As poor as the option is. Which is why I already own Ks. Till "execution day", at least, every day of productivity adds to my retirement account. I plan to leverage every minute of productivity possible from 9900. Then Classic... Then...??? K? Toughbook?? Apple??? All three?? Pretty painful "progress", imo. Lol.
    Unfortunately, many people in these forums just don't get it. They think that, because it's possible to complete the same tasks on their XYZ phones, there is no difference.

Those of us who were hardcore BBOS users know that the old BlackBerry devices weren't primitive smartphones, they were advanced communications appliances.

The iPhone mentality is that the phone is the user's lifestyle accessory, and it really is great at that. Android is the same. And most people prefer a lifestyle accessory that allows them to perform occasional work-related tasks. But some if us just want to perform work tasks on our phones.

For me the two best BlackBerry phones ever were the 9900 and the Z10. They are completely different, but both are fully optimized for work.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    wlharper2 and brambleberry like this.
    10-15-18 05:57 PM
    You aren't going to be able to use BlackBerry World after Dec 2019. If you want to try a Classic, get one now, then you will be able to find whatever apps you'd like to have on it.

Browser still works decent on the Classic, some sites don't render correctly or have certificate issues, but not many.
    bb9900user2018 likes this.
    12-18-18 06:08 AM
    I remember years ago, we all had problems with our phones for a short period of time because a server on their side stopped functioning properly. Michael Clewly tweeted about it. My memory is fuzzy on the exact issue.

So perhaps if they start shutting more things down, you might find that BB10 won't function properly.
    12-18-18 06:16 AM
    I remember years ago, we all had problems with our phones for a short period of time because a server on their side stopped functioning properly. Michael Clewly tweeted about it. My memory is fuzzy on the exact issue.

So perhaps if they start shutting more things down, you might find that BB10 won't function properly.
    Yes. We all had problems with WiFi for a period of time.
    12-18-18 06:57 AM
    You are not alone, my BlackBerry 9900 is my heart and soul, and we provide them for all our people at our small company. Nothing compares to the mouse trackpad and keyboard combination (a lot like a PC wouldn't be worth a whole lot without its mouse), to effortless writing. We intend to use our devices for every last second we can, and want to make it known to Blackberry the major impact it still has on our lives in 2019. If the original Blackberry devices have a significant impact on your life, please direct message me as we want to communicate our story, and we're noticing a good deal of other people, to Blackberry just how valuable they still are to people and probably businesses.
    brambleberry likes this.
    04-02-19 11:06 PM
    the Bold is still one of my favorite phones and is still in use by my office staff as an after hours phone.
    06-18-19 08:18 PM