I currently have a BlackBerry Bold 9780 and thinking about upgrading to the Bold 9900.
    Is it worth it? Better than the 9780? Why?

Thank you very much!
    11-02-11 10:11 AM
    I think the OS7 and upgraded specs make it a worthy upgrade of the 9780. However, it is bigger and that may be a issue for some. However, an OS7 upgrade for the 9780 is due. (The 9790)

Personally, I would upgrade to the 9900 over my current 9800.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-11 11:43 AM
    Is the Pope religious? Does a shark sh!t in the sea?

Seriously, you'll have to make that decision. The keyboard is awesome...bigger screen, faster processor......you get the idea.
    onmyown likes this.
    11-02-11 11:51 AM
    I would say so, but that's just me. Some folks like the smaller size of the 97xx series devices. Some people have been complaining of very poor battery live on their 9900/9930's, but I have had fantastic battery life ever since I got mine. I'd say it's worth it, I love mine. The keyboard is an absolute joy to type on...
    11-02-11 11:56 AM
    I am pondering the same but my only choice is to fork over $600 if I want it that badly which frankly I don't want to. Will wait for it to go below $99 or so and then pull the trigger. My 9780 is adequate for now but once in a while I get the urge....

11-02-11 12:02 PM
    I currently have a BlackBerry Bold 9780 and thinking about upgrading to the Bold 9900.
    Is it worth it? Better than the 9780? Why?

Thank you very much!
    Too be honest, I probably wouldn't if I were you, my 9700 with OS 6 was amazing - I am on my 3rd 9900 and as I've been saying - I'm going in to return this one too. It seems to be getting worse as it ages (a whopping 2 months old) it should just be so much more spunkier than it is, it shouldn't be freezing up so I can't use the touchscreen or the trackpad and it is so slow browsing. The wifi pickup is very poor. (not to mention that squeaky trackpad)

Don't get me wrong, I love my blackberry and I have no intention of switching to something else. My advice would be to wait and see what's coming out in the next year or so.
    11-02-11 12:05 PM
    Returned my 9900. It felt nice, but I have a 9700 so I can't see myself buying another phone until QNX ones come out. By then, you'll have a better idea if you should get a 9900 or not.
    11-02-11 12:16 PM
    I am pondering the same but my only choice is to fork over $600 if I want it that badly which frankly I don't want to. Will wait for it to go below $99 or so and then pull the trigger. My 9780 is adequate for now but once in a while I get the urge....

It's not worth coughing up $600 to get the 9900, stick with your 9780. You get a vast majority of the same stuff with OS6, plus 512mb, which is more than enough for the 9780. I'd stick with that until it drops down, or until you become eligible for upgrade.
    11-02-11 02:39 PM
    Do you know how to do analogies?

Rotary phone is to BlackBerry 9780 as BlackBerry 9780 is to BlackBerry 9900.

That good.
    11-02-11 02:41 PM
    The keyboard alone is worth it.

11-02-11 02:52 PM
    I bought an unlocked 9900 to run on AT&T and replace my 9000.

I hate to say it, but i just went to a Windows phone to replace it. I love the Blackberry keyboard (that is the killer app for me), but the phone just didn't work for me. I love the form factor and seriously wished it worked out, but just little things bug me about it that I don't want to deal with. The latest is all of a sudden, when I make a call, the screen fades out and I can't put it on speaker phone. I'm sure there is a setting that needs to be tweaked, but I'm done tweaking settings. It really didn't work too well with attachments either.

I've gone from Palm, to Blackberry, to iPhone, to Palm, to Blackberry and now Windows. Virtually no learning curve on the new phone, but I miss that sweet Blackberry keyboard.

Hopefully a new BB operating system will bring me back.

BTW - I have a Playbook and absolutely love that form factor - the iPad is a brick. If only it had native email...
    11-02-11 03:19 PM
    I'm sure there is a setting that needs to be tweaked, but I'm done tweaking settings.

There is a Physical button that does it for you.

And the 9900 you had, had a broken sensor.
    11-02-11 03:34 PM
    i honestly cant reccomend buying the 9900, i mean i have a 9930 so i guess i cant really speak for the 9900 entirely, but my experience was less than stellar and if i could go back i wouldnt have bought it. its given me many many problems including bricking itself and daily hang ups, touch screen freezes, and a recurring problem where it would not come out of sleep for sometime up to 10-15sec which was very aggravating on the go.

i got to a point where i bougt an iphone4s and i havent had any problems at all really, it just seems to work how it should for the most part. everyone once in a while siri doesnt work right, but its in beta and it still works very well for the most part, its mostly due to background noise that interferes. other than that i really havent had any problems, and the battery life isnt far behind my 9930.

the 9930 certainly has a better life, but i still get a days use, but i am a pretty heavy user and i know how to manipulate the settings and my usage to maximize it. typing is certainly nothing compared to the 9930 which is to be expected, but the iphone keyboard is at least one of the better virtual keyboards out there.

i miss my LED light for notifications, the deep app integration on BBos, bbm, and of course my keyboard..but imessage is a nice competitor to bbm as is Kik or WhatsApp, notification center/bar do a nice job in lieu of an LED, and for what it lacks in its keyboard it makes up for in just about everything else.

i loved having my BB for communication, but i have also found it kind of nice to break free from it, since all i could do was text/bbm/facebook/twitter for the most part, i became hooked, constantly checking for messages and the blinking LED..its nice to have a phone that does other things, and is fun to use in the process. the BB is nice but its boring as ****! lets be honest.. when BB works it does what its meant to do great, but when its not working correctly which is entirely to often, it sucks and is a huge pain in the *** to deal with..plus who wants to reboot after every change to the application library??

i love my iphones wifi sync, its always present in my itunes when im on my computer and i can add things as i please...no more plugging in to sync, no more battery pulls and 4min startup time..

believe me i wish RIM would suceed, and im keeping all my past blackberries, i flirt with my 9930 daily wishing its UI was on par with the iphones since its so gorgeous..it really is the perfect design for a phone imho, but if i am gonna pay out the *** every month i want my phone to work, and thats ultimately what it came down to when deciding to make the switch..so take that into consideration before going with another blackberry
    11-02-11 05:16 PM
    I used the iphone and for all the reason u mention u dont like the bb, i switched to my old 9800.
    The way it is i guess.

11-02-11 05:36 PM
    definitely not, stay with your 9780 and buy an ipod touch. i regret my decision for buying the 9900. now i'm using SG Note and putting my 9900 on eBay.
    11-02-11 06:44 PM
    It is up to you... To me the keyboard of this phone is great. However, RIM is still far behind the competition so, may may want to check all the features of the phone and see if it covers everything you need.
    11-02-11 06:52 PM
    i just got mine and i really like it except for the battery life. i am a really heavy user as i need it for work and im lucky to get 7 hours out of it before scrambling to find a charger.
    11-02-11 07:16 PM
    the ONLY depressing thing about this phone is the camera...sigh
    11-02-11 07:38 PM
    Well I dont have the phone yet, but once I guy it on the 6th ill be able to tell u if its worht it or not.

11-02-11 07:40 PM
    Try out the keyboard and that should be enough to win you over.

That's not even mentioning liquid graphics, improved browser speed and the premium version of docs to go for free!
    11-02-11 07:45 PM
    Too be honest, I probably wouldn't if I were you, my 9700 with OS 6 was amazing - I am on my 3rd 9900 and as I've been saying - I'm going in to return this one too. It seems to be getting worse as it ages (a whopping 2 months old) it should just be so much more spunkier than it is, it shouldn't be freezing up so I can't use the touchscreen or the trackpad and it is so slow browsing. The wifi pickup is very poor. (not to mention that squeaky trackpad)

Don't get me wrong, I love my blackberry and I have no intention of switching to something else. My advice would be to wait and see what's coming out in the next year or so.
    i honestly cant reccomend buying the 9900, i mean i have a 9930 so i guess i cant really speak for the 9900 entirely, but my experience was less than stellar and if i could go back i wouldnt have bought it. its given me many many problems including bricking itself and daily hang ups, touch screen freezes, and a recurring problem where it would not come out of sleep for sometime up to 10-15sec which was very aggravating on the go.

i got to a point where i bougt an iphone4s and i havent had any problems at all really, it just seems to work how it should for the most part. everyone once in a while siri doesnt work right, but its in beta and it still works very well for the most part, its mostly due to background noise that interferes. other than that i really havent had any problems, and the battery life isnt far behind my 9930.

the 9930 certainly has a better life, but i still get a days use, but i am a pretty heavy user and i know how to manipulate the settings and my usage to maximize it. typing is certainly nothing compared to the 9930 which is to be expected, but the iphone keyboard is at least one of the better virtual keyboards out there.

i miss my LED light for notifications, the deep app integration on BBos, bbm, and of course my keyboard..but imessage is a nice competitor to bbm as is Kik or WhatsApp, notification center/bar do a nice job in lieu of an LED, and for what it lacks in its keyboard it makes up for in just about everything else.

i loved having my BB for communication, but i have also found it kind of nice to break free from it, since all i could do was text/bbm/facebook/twitter for the most part, i became hooked, constantly checking for messages and the blinking LED..its nice to have a phone that does other things, and is fun to use in the process. the BB is nice but its boring as ****! lets be honest.. when BB works it does what its meant to do great, but when its not working correctly which is entirely to often, it sucks and is a huge pain in the *** to deal with..plus who wants to reboot after every change to the application library??

i love my iphones wifi sync, its always present in my itunes when im on my computer and i can add things as i please...no more plugging in to sync, no more battery pulls and 4min startup time..

believe me i wish RIM would suceed, and im keeping all my past blackberries, i flirt with my 9930 daily wishing its UI was on par with the iphones since its so gorgeous..it really is the perfect design for a phone imho, but if i am gonna pay out the *** every month i want my phone to work, and thats ultimately what it came down to when deciding to make the switch..so take that into consideration before going with another blackberry
    Exactly as above!

I bought it with full enthusiasm as I am an 8 year user and loyal. My 9780 copped a cracked screen when I was working on my car and I ran out the same hour and bought it outright.
    Within 3 days I called the company I bought it off to return it.
    Worst freezes, browsing would shut the whole phone off at times, the most stupid idea making the trackpad so close to the touch screen as you constantly touch one or the other when trying to touch the other, ****ty touch response and 3/4 the battery life of previous 9780.

I got my money back and sadly am moving on from this company as I see them not putting enough money back into hiring and employing creative and innovative people in their company. This latest farce upset me so much I am thinking of doing like billy below

definitely not, stay with your 9780 and buy an ipod touch. i regret my decision for buying the 9900. now i'm using SG Note and putting my 9900 on eBay.
    How have you found the SG note? I'm not into games and such but do a lot of business, work and browsing. How's the phone reception and wifi? How does the battery hold up?

Bye bye blackberry

os7 sucks
    11-02-11 08:09 PM
    Is the Pope religious? Does a shark sh!t in the sea?

Seriously, you'll have to make that decision. The keyboard is awesome...bigger screen, faster processor......you get the idea.
    Completely agree! Its everything I ever hoped for in a Blackberry!
    11-02-11 09:08 PM
    Since it seems that you are up for an upgrade, I can't really recommend the 9900. The camera is okay but can't take decent macro shots without a lot of tinkering. There are a lot of quality issues up to now (even Kevin of Crackberry is going through them). Battery life is a step back compared to what you have now.

Also, OS7 is a very minor facelift. The processor speed makes everything faster, but in terms of App support, there are quite a number of essential apps that are still unavailable for the 9900, up to this day.

Since you are looking to upgrade, have you considered the iPhone4S or Galaxy SII? I know that is a major shift for you but I suggest you go to a retail store and test drive either of the phones I recommended.
    11-02-11 09:53 PM
    if you are comfortable with your current keyboard, stay...but want the original best keyboard ever (plus a lot of better components) then get one. it is amazing!!! best keyboard PLUS touchscreen?? #winning
    11-02-11 10:11 PM
    I bought an unlocked 9900 to run on AT&T and replace my 9000.

I hate to say it, but i just went to a Windows phone to replace it. I love the Blackberry keyboard (that is the killer app for me), but the phone just didn't work for me. I love the form factor and seriously wished it worked out, but just little things bug me about it that I don't want to deal with. The latest is all of a sudden, when I make a call, the screen fades out and I can't put it on speaker phone. I'm sure there is a setting that needs to be tweaked, but I'm done tweaking settings. It really didn't work too well with attachments either.

I've gone from Palm, to Blackberry, to iPhone, to Palm, to Blackberry and now Windows. Virtually no learning curve on the new phone, but I miss that sweet Blackberry keyboard.

Hopefully a new BB operating system will bring me back.

BTW - I have a Playbook and absolutely love that form factor - the iPad is a brick. If only it had native email...
    WOWOWOWOW!

how do you not know theres a speaker phone button. BOLD 9000 had it too. I use it 99% of the time. I dont even ahve to look for it.

Its a 1 touch button on the keyboard with a picture of a SPEAKER. I dunno where it is but my muscle memory does.
    11-03-11 01:29 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD