I am planning to buy a used one (or a new 9220), I wanna know if it still properly working. I am only gonna use it for emails, texting, calling and mild surfing and as a second phone. I've some articles talking about how this unit is already not working like it used to.

is the curve 9220 also works great?
    03-13-19 05:28 AM
    BBOS was pretty much ended back in 2013.... It was offically EOL last year, and by accounts the BIS service that it utilizes will end at the first of next year.

That said, as long as you can get BIS through your service provider and as long as they offer it... it should work for the basics.
    03-13-19 07:00 AM
    I currently use a 9930 as my primary phone and a Samsung Galaxy S3 (for Whatsapp, Signal, and Instastupid) as my supplementary device. I will tell you that my Blackberry Bold handles all of my tasks other than what I use my supplementary device very well, with the added benefit of having an OS that is far better optimized at task management and organization (y'know, the features dedicated PDA's handled so well). You may want to look at this thread to see what you may anticipate using a BB Bold without BIS if your carrier doesn't provide it:

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...ut-bis-996682/

My carrier, US mobile, doesn't provide BIS unfortunately, but it doesn't hinder my ability to use other apps such as LogicMail for email (which is an excellent minimalist email application) and SMS for email. For web surfing, the native Blackberry Browser works well on wifi and Opera Mini is a great supporting browser as well that can be outfitted too. I wouldn't know about the curve, but I'd imagine what I've said is applicable for the most part if the OS is the same as that which is referenced on my attached post.

All in all, I am more than satisfied with my phone. I recently got Twitter to work within social feeds as well, so that definitely keeps me up on the latest happenings too. I like it way better than Android. That's my experience.
    lukeoverhere likes this.
    03-27-19 01:29 PM
    Hell no a 9900 is not suitable for 2019.

The minimum (as in oldest and cheapest) BB device you should get if you just want to call/text/e-mail/light surf would be the Classic.

But a used KEYone silver can already easily be found for just a few more bucks than a Classic so...
    03-27-19 08:49 PM
    I am planning to buy a used one (or a new 9220), I wanna know if it still properly working. I am only gonna use it for emails, texting, calling and mild surfing and as a second phone. I've some articles talking about how this unit is already not working like it used to.

is the curve 9220 also works great?
    For the uses you have mentioned, you could get by (depending on what you mean by mild surfing) - for now. 3G won't be around forever.

The 9900 still calls and texts. If you don't have a BlackBerry plan, it only does text messaging, but not picture messaging.

Browsing is really limited. A lot of sites won't work and even when they do, you're working with a 2.8 inch screen.

If your expectations are low and realistic, the 9900 serves a few particular purposes. Otherwise, you'll want something newer.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-27-19 09:49 PM
    Yes, I currently use a 9900 on T-Mobile and works very well (we use BES not BIS BTW but I think this still answers your question). The emails and texts are almost always sent and received much more quickly than anything on my BlackBerry Keytwo which I also begrudgingly carry around; my 9900 is my primary and is my pride and joy.

Like Lilysterra above was talking about the messaging communications workflow is so clean & optimized it is downright refreshing next to any of the other leading os handsets these days. Moreover, typing with a mouse trackpad makes for excellent creating / editing / proof-reading / revising of professional writing, many on Crackberry can verify the typing experience is still absolutely unprecedented in 2019.

There has been a few networks outages or slow downs over the last 7 years but the excellence of both the handset and service overall referring to T-Mobile as a carrier and Blackberry's Enterprise Server vastly outweigh any downtime. On the other side of things, the amount of android forced closes, restarts, device switch headaches, epically bad typing experiences and fighting just inane auto-suggestion, failed downloads, file or message wild goose chases on my all my BlackBerry and Galaxy androids makes me curse the os still regularly. If someone would let me pay to simply prolong the BIS/BES system supporting original Blackberry Operating System (BBOS) phones like Blackberry Bold 9900 including if it were T-Mobile, I would be more than happy to pay it. And also our company of 10+ people also using 9900s on T-Mobile. Our company has grown 25%+ every year and we attribute a lot of it to the great communications enabled by these phones.
    04-22-19 12:40 AM