Would you buy the Bold 9900 right away or wait for the release of QNX? I currently owned a HTC desire for a year now and android is really not me. I never play games and although I don't use push mail either, I think blackberries are for me. Mind you that I only use my phone for little calls, texts, web browsing, and social networking. Sure android is fancy and all but the battery is horrid. (4 hours and back to the wall charger). I am for sure going blackberry because of the battery life because lasting a full day (15 hours without dying) is a must.

Now the question is, seeming that my desire is only a year old, should I buy the Bold 9900? Is it worth the wait or should I wait for QNX seeming that its a much more powerful system? I love the form factor of the bold but I fear that it'll end up like the torch with no more updates and become outdated in less than a year. Also, there's so many dual core android phones out, is the bold worth it?
    07-09-11 12:52 AM
    I would buy the Bold 9900 it should be coming out in the next month or two and who knows when the QNX devices could be released. Knowing RIM it will be like December of 2012 or not in that year at all.
    07-09-11 01:03 AM
    I would take the 9900. It will be a solid device.

Don't expect too much for QNX Superphones. QNX is great in technical reasons. The os is great but it will take years to have a great User experiance. First generation QNX phone will be a big BETA test with wrong customer expectations.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-11 01:08 AM
    You could be waiting forevvvvvvver for the QNX phones. The risk of outdating is always high in this current cell phone industry, but it seems like you've already indicated that Blackberry is more your style and the dilemma is between this one or later ones. Sure, RIM is hurrying on QNX because they know they need it, but nothing says they'll actually meet their expected time frame (according to history), and even if they do meet it, who says QNX will actually work the way we hope it does? Once it shows up it could still take quite a while to work out the kinks. And when they finally do work it all out, your 9900 will be due for replacement.

If you try the 9900 out and you like it once it comes out, I would say go with what you know versus what you can only speculate on (not a rule of thumb, but appropriate in this situation).
    07-09-11 01:12 AM
    Also, I heard that RIM is making a 4.3-inch "superphone" that will most likely be all touch screen. Does that mean QNX will not have the iconic portrait QWERTY keyboard anymore? I use to love typing on my desire's touch screen but lately I've been having issues and absolutely hate typing on it. I think I would like the bold's spacey tactile keyboard rather than RIM's superphone...
    07-09-11 01:15 AM
    Most discussion about QNX has centered around a speculated large, all-touch device, but I don't think this necessarily means you can't expect a QNX powered QWERTY at some point in the future. I don't know the details on what QNX encompasses or what it is or is not technically geared to operate on hardware-wise, so I could be completely wrong. I'm just saying that while everyone thinks about QNX on an all-touch, "Storm 3"-like phone, there has been no specific mention that a QNX OS will not power QWERTY Blackberries in the future.
    07-09-11 01:27 AM
    Why make a choice between the two. Get the 9900 in a month or so and the QNX in a few years when they have all the bugs sorted out! LOL!

I am not looking THAT forward to RIM putting QNX on it's phones. By the time they do, Android will be the killer OS to beat.

What I like best about Blackberry is the simplicity and ease of use of the GUI.
    kbz1960, Masahiro and Spawn12 like this.
    07-09-11 06:15 AM
    Just get the 9900. If you intend to wait it out for QNX you will go insane! RIM isn't exactly early or even on time with things.

07-09-11 08:31 AM
    No one knows when these QNX phones will be out. So, if you have no contract right now and you would like to have a faster and better phone, then go for the 9900. I will even consider other new phones with physical keyboards from Android and Windows as well.

To me the only reason why I am still with BB is the physical keyboard. RIM is not so good with their OS anyway. It will take years for them to fix issues with their new QNX OS system.

07-09-11 09:18 AM
    Going through the palybook experence of lack of apps, I gotta assume that the first QNX phones will go through the same thing.

I'm going for the 9930 and all the current apps, I'll switch to QNX when the apps catch up to the phone.
    07-09-11 09:29 AM
    Yeah, 9900 appears to be a significantly better handset than anything Rim has released. The biggest leap of any models going back to the 9000.

QNX may not be targeted toward QWERTY and it's debut on handsets is TBD. While 6-12 months may not be that long to wait... it will feel like forever if you are not happy with what you've got.
    07-09-11 09:49 AM
    The 9900 is a great form factor and a great phone, so if you want and can afford a new phone now then go for it, if you felt the need to switch to a qnx model as soon as they showed up then you could always ebay the 9900.
    07-09-11 12:15 PM
    Yeah, just go with the 9900, QNX on the phones is a long time away. By the way, 4 hrs battery life on android phone is not normal. Make sure you are not using a task killer and if that doesn't help you might have delete some bad apps.
    07-09-11 12:56 PM
    For me it's the 9900 or an iPhone. QNX isn't even a consideration.
    07-09-11 01:06 PM
    There are good chances that the QNX superphone will be a full touch screen or a hybrid with a slider given the way the QNX was designed. If you already have a playbook, I would find the combination of the perfect keyboard on the 9900 + Playbook as ideal until QNX phones have been fully tested for use with a portrait keyboard.
    07-14-11 07:35 AM
    Is QNX supposed to be more efficient than the current Java OS? For example, Linux runs more quickly than Microsoft/Windows even on lower powered machines because it somehow runs more efficiently.

Can we expect the same benefit from QNX?
    This would be great because it could result in snappy performance, even better apps, AND keeping great battery life.

Regardless, I'm both excited and resigned to go with the 9900. I'm using the blackberry 9650 more and more to take work notes and do all sorts of things that I would have, in the past, used a notebook.

So, the keyboard is very important when it comes to writing paragraphs.

I love being able to walk into a new location with only my blackberry and maybe a pen!.... no need to haul a laptop around.
    07-14-11 08:09 AM
    I am currently using a Bold 9650 on Sprint with a Playbook. With the most recent 6.0.0.600 update from Sprint, my OS 6 has gone from a bit laggy to nice. Paired with my Playbook, it's an awesome combination.

I'm due for an upgrade, but am debating whether to use it on the 9930 or hang on until QNX rolls. I've read all of the previous replies and understand people's reasoning.

The OP is comming from a dissatisfied Android experience and wants to get back to a BB w/keyboard. My question is really if it will be worth committing 2 more years to Sprint who I'm pretty happy with (until they decide to do away with the unlimited data and go to tiered data plans) for the 9930.

It looks like a truly amazing phone, but since RIM has announced that QNX phones are coming, and since I'm pretty happy with my 9650, am I justified in taking the jump?

I know that the day it comes out, I'm going to end up throwing all logic to the wind, but until then, I'm trying to justify the change.
    07-25-11 10:09 PM
    The 9900 is a great device from what we know and is a certainty to drop soon. Who knows when the QNX phones drop? Or how many delays, etc. You might be waiting longer than you expect.

07-25-11 10:14 PM
    Would you buy the Bold 9900 right away or wait for the release of QNX? I currently owned a HTC desire for a year now and android is really not me. I never play games and although I don't use push mail either, I think blackberries are for me. Mind you that I only use my phone for little calls, texts, web browsing, and social networking.
    If you're unsatisfied with your current phone, why wait what will most likely take more than a year for QNX phones? You say you only use your phone for a few calls, texts, web browsing and social networking. BBOS already does these things just fine.
    07-25-11 11:44 PM
    Interesting discussion. Even I am eyeing the 9900. Any info/speculation on whether RIM will support QNX for phones like 9900?
    07-28-11 01:50 PM
    Get the 9900 now and the QNX sometime next year.
    07-28-11 02:02 PM
    My current phone is a Droid 2.

So with that in mind I would not, will not and can not wait to get the 9930. When the QNX phones come out then I might upgrade to them. But for me I can not wait any longer. I would honestly go to a Verizon store at midnight IF the choice was that and waiting 2 weeks for the 9930. And I am not a midnight sales kind of guy.
    07-28-11 02:08 PM
    If the release (or lack of release) of the Bold 9900 is any indication, I will be buying the 9900 as soon as it comes out. QNX could take forever to come out.
    07-28-11 05:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD