Alright, I've been reading about the 9900 for the past couple of days, and I can honestly say that I'm impressed, BUT there is one thing I do not like, and it's the battery life on the 9900, and also, from what I've heard, the 9780 has exceptional battery life, so it all comes down to this, should I get the 9900 or the 9780, and remember battery life is very important to me, but the new OS7 and the keyboard and the other new features on the 9900 are great, but are they really that much of a difference than the 9780?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-11 07:14 AM
    I think you've answered your own question. If battery life is really important to you and you don't think the 9900 has very good battery life, then you should go for the 9780. My OH has only just got her 9900 so I can't personally comment on whether the battery is good or bad, I guess you will need to read other peoples reviews yourself and see if it is as much of an issue as you think?
    09-13-11 07:24 AM
    I've read a lot of reviews, and most of them say the same thing, but the 9900 is awesome, the touchscreen, keyboard combo is amazing, it has a bigger screen, and the new processor does make a difference, but I don't know if I should buy it or the 9780 =(

09-13-11 07:33 AM
    it all depends how much you use the device, i know its said too much but it really does. I have a curve 3g at the moment, some days my phone is screaming for a recharge by 5pm, other times i get 4 days from it. First week or so is always deceiving as well as you'll be busy playing with your shiny new toy so giving it way more abuse than normal.

Not owning a 9930 i cant speak to how they perform specifically, but if you optimise it (turn down brightness/timeout, use wifi when available, disbale 3g when not required etc) i cant see it being too bad.

Dont forget the people with problems always shout the loudest, if you dig around the threads on it most people are reporting a day or 2 from normal use, which should hopefully give enough time to find a charge point
    09-13-11 07:44 AM
    Why don't you just use your trial period and see if it meets your expectations . Return it and get 9780 if it doesn't. Quite simple. No one can answer your question but yourself.

09-13-11 07:49 AM
    I have used the 9780 for a while and honestly prefer the larger keyboard for typing. Battery life is what is it. I take it with a grain of salt with those that claim to get 18 plus hours and being a "heavy user". I throw the bs flag with this - but on the same token, if I need a charge, then so be it. I'll give a charge while in the car or while at work - no big deal. I get the device I want and I will live with the battery - just look at how all the Droid and Iphone users do it!

EDIT: And it's the 9900 for me.
    mssca and phonejunky like this.
    09-13-11 07:50 AM
    To be honest i think you need to have a play with both in real life as people here will give you varying opinions on both phones.

Now my personal experience is that if you like a small-ish form factor phone then the 9780 is the one for you but for me the 9900 completely and utterly destroys the 9780 keyboard wise and also in other aspects. Battery life on my 9900 is around the same as my 9780 ie a full day with hard useage and about 2 days with light or next to none useage but saying that i use my 9900 pretty hard.

Personally i prefer the 9900 over the 9780, better built with the steel band around it, thin and light and a nice wide keyboard which makes typing long emails, texts, notes and even bbms an absolute joy to use.

Regarding battery life, some 9900's do suffer from bad battery life but theres alot of 9900's that do not suffer and have pretty decent battery life....if you follow the tips on battery life in teh sticky thread at the top then you wont go far wrong.

9900 is the best BB ever and thats a fact.
    09-13-11 08:13 AM
    Would 9900 + extra battery solve the problem?
    09-13-11 08:18 AM
    I like 9900 because it is faster than the other plus the keyboard is awesome if you like it to be large for fast typing.
    09-13-11 08:25 AM
    Alright, I've been reading about the 9900 for the past couple of days, and I can honestly say that I'm impressed, BUT there is one thing I do not like, and it's the battery life on the 9900, and also, from what I've heard, the 9780 has exceptional battery life, so it all comes down to this, should I get the 9900 or the 9780, and remember battery life is very important to me, but the new OS7 and the keyboard and the other new features on the 9900 are great, but are they really that much of a difference than the 9780?

If battery life is that big to you, but you really like what you see in the 9900 do what I did. Buy the 9900 and order an extra battery as well boom problem solved. To tell you the truth though I'm not on my second battery with the 9900 until around 1700, 1730'ish and my day starts off at 0700. That isn't to bad I guess but my 9780 definitely made it to the end of the day.
    09-13-11 08:37 AM
    I have used the 9780 for a while and honestly prefer the larger keyboard for typing. Battery life is what is it. I take it with a grain of salt with those that claim to get 18 plus hours and being a "heavy user". I throw the bs flag with this - but on the same token, if I need a charge, then so be it. I'll give a charge while in the car or while at work - no big deal. I get the device I want and I will live with the battery - just look at how all the Droid and Iphone users do it!

EDIT: And it's the 9900 for me.
    I've been saying this for so long on this site. 18 hours 16 hours of heavy use, people are so full of it to hype up their phone on this site sometimes it's just not true at all. the specs on the phone itself put out by RIM doesn't even warrant that type of usage.
    09-13-11 08:43 AM
    I'm stalking the extended battery myself. So if battery is an issue then yea, go with your first mind.
    09-13-11 08:44 AM
    I debated about this 3 weeks ago, and then picked 9930 on Sprint (first time BB user).

I personally feel that the benefits of a BB is in it's shortcuts and universal search, both of which are best accessible with a hard keyboard. I don't know how you can use keyboard shortcuts effectively without it.

I am very very happy with battery life. It is much better compared to my previous device (htc touch pro 2 on Sprint).

Hope that helps a bit.
    09-13-11 09:03 AM
    If you have the 9900 - Occasionally you will wish that you went for the 9780 because of the better battery life

If you have the 9780 - you will wish you had touch screen almost every time you use it.
    To tell you the truth, you guys made up my mind, I am getting the 9900, based on the reviews I've read, and a couple of opinions I've heard about the phone, it really does look like I have to compromise when it comes to the battery, but none the less, it's an awesome device
    Thanks
    There might be one other consideration, depending on your carrier. If you use UMA, then you cannot get the 9900. It is not enabled. Rumors that it will be enabled in the future abound, but there is no concrete evidence. So, if you rely on UMA, you had better get the 9780.
    09-13-11 09:07 AM
    I think that RIM will soon release the 9790 and solve all that issues of 9780/9900.
    09-13-11 12:12 PM
    OP, remember....you won't get the battery life of a 9780 on a 9900....processor speed, fluids graphics, etc, etc.
    09-13-11 12:58 PM
    after @ weeks with the 9900, i am switching back to my 9780 tomo... i cant stand the poor battery life, lack of apps (that are available on os6) and that it cost me $300 (its barely worth a $200 pricetag!)
    09-13-11 03:01 PM
    after @ weeks with the 9900, i am switching back to my 9780 tomo... i cant stand the poor battery life, lack of apps (that are available on os6) and that it cost me $300 (its barely worth a $200 pricetag!)
    Nooooo! Don't tell me this.... I loathe my 9780 and the daaaam doouble inputtts!
    09-13-11 03:20 PM
    I agree I love my 9900 but most will agree it is an overpriced device.
    09-13-11 03:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD