im using the bold 9930 for verizon the 7.0.0254 os and for some reason my battery seems to be draining REALLY fast like today at 8 oclock i prolly texted abt 20 times facebooked for like 5 minutes only and at 12 my battery was down like 30 percent
    08-18-11 11:19 PM
    I used my phone non stop when I got it yesterday afternoon, and within like 6 hours of non stop usage and abusing and rebooting the phone 4 times, constantly BBMing, talked about 30 mins, browsed the net, emails, installed apps, the battery went to down to 30%

This is fine for a first day considering the battery has not settled in yet, and considering my abuse of usage.

You can only make a judgement after 3 days.

Keep it charged full whenever possible for now
    08-18-11 11:22 PM
    Mine is always dead by 2-3 pm unplugged at 7-8 am. Not that happy so hope updates improve battery life quite a bit. And people saying its good on par with 97XX is bs. Maybe if you don't use your phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-11 11:28 PM
    Mine is always dead by 2-3 pm unplugged at 7-8 am. Not that happy so hope updates improve battery life quite a bit. And people saying its good on par with 97XX is bs. Maybe if you don't use your phone.

I was having the same problem. Not making it through the day with moderate use. I read all of the recomendations that I found for preserving battery life and implemented them only to see minimal improvement.
    This morning I had a brainstorm. I have been using various photos that I have taken as my homescreen background. I reverted to the default screen and improved my battery life by more than 30% over my next best day. I am on 9900/7.0.0.296. I have not found any reference to this working on BB but it helped me.......
    TrespassersW likes this.
    08-18-11 11:39 PM
    im also using the batterywatch app does this have any effect? and ive had the phone for 3 days already
    08-18-11 11:46 PM
    Make sure you have no apps running in the background that you are not using. Saves my battery quite a bit. No battery issues for me, average about 120 emails on BIS, 4 accounts, 40 mins talk time, and a couple dozen pages, facebook and twitter, and I am usual about 35% by midnight, unplugged at 7am and I am also playing with the phone more because it's new. Somewhat on par with my 9800, so it was what I expected, if not better.
    08-19-11 12:08 AM
    Make sure you have no apps running in the background that you are not using. Saves my battery quite a bit. No battery issues for me, average about 120 emails on BIS, 4 accounts, 40 mins talk time, and a couple dozen pages, facebook and twitter, and I am usual about 35% by midnight, unplugged at 7am and I am also playing with the phone more because it's new. Somewhat on par with my 9800, so it was what I expected, if not better.
    how do i exit the apps in the background? do i have to go buy each one individually and close it or is there an app that does it for me
    08-19-11 12:09 AM
    I been texting, light browsing and talking all day long and still have 30%. Not running wifi all the time saves a TON of battery.
    08-19-11 12:10 AM
    You can get an app to kill the wifi searching if that is killing your battery. I shrunk out FB, Twitter and bunch of other stuff that tends to drain it. Battery seems to be a bit worse than the 9780 but not that bad.
    08-19-11 01:00 AM
    I got my phone yesterday. Charged it til full at 9PM (took couple hours), then I used it til 5PM today with Facebook, emails, some web browser and IM ... you know what the battery is still 55% at 6PM. And at 10PM the battery is 30%. To me there is absolutely no issue with the battery at all!

* I am using 9930 and lastest OS .340
    08-19-11 01:12 AM
    Battery is a issue...

abdullah1982 likes this.
    08-19-11 01:21 AM
    how do i exit the apps in the background? do i have to go buy each one individually and close it or is there an app that does it for me
    Click and hold down on the blackberry button menu left of the trackpad, and whatever is running besides: Home, Phone, Browser, BBM, and Messages should be closed by opening those apps and then scrolling from the bb menu until you select close. This coming from a Torch user. I doubt it's different with the 9900/9930.
    EVOP and msimpsonnj like this.
    08-19-11 01:27 AM
    Let it settle for a couples days.

I've had mine for 3 days now with average usage and at almost midnight I still have over 40% battery left on my 9900 running os .261

Also, the first day or two you have the new device you are using it pretty much non stop playing with it and trying out all the new features and getting it setup just like you want it blah blah. Heavy over use the first couple days = bad battery performance
    08-19-11 01:48 AM
    Let it settle for a couples days.

I've had mine for 3 days now with average usage and at almost midnight I still have over 40% battery left on my 9900 running os .261

Also, the first day or two you have the new device you are using it pretty much non stop playing with it and trying out all the new features and getting it setup just like you want it blah blah. Heavy over use the first couple days = bad battery performance
    im having this phone since a week. battery is dying around 10% an hour easily.
    08-19-11 04:23 AM
    I posted appalling battery drain the first couple of days usage. Drained down to zero in approx 6hrs.

After a few days more I can officially say I have no issue whatsoever with my battery now.

Average use, probably an hour or two of talk time, 50-60 emails, some BBM and surfing. Constantly on wifi, signal swaps between 3G and EDGE fairly frequently due to my 3G broadband booster and where I am in the house. Using my own image as a home screen background too.

Charged battery in the morning yesterday, took it off at 9am after an hour of charging, and haven't charged since. Time is now 11am and the battery is only down to 35%!!!!!!

Give it time to settle is all I can say!
    TheWiseOne and MikeFromCanada like this.
    08-19-11 05:06 AM

How about telling us a little about your 9900. What is running in the back ground. How often are your social programs set to poll the server. You can easily run your battery into the ground if you are polling on several account every few minutes.

Tell us more about what is going on with your device.
    08-19-11 05:12 AM
    Unplugged mine at 6.30am and I am down to 58% already.....

Checked Ubersocial a few times, sent about 30 BBM's, updated an app, installed an app, deleted two apps, rebooted about three times.
    08-19-11 05:48 AM

Checked Ubersocial a few times, sent about 30 BBM's, updated an app, installed an app, deleted two apps, rebooted about three times.
    I noticed a reboot will use more battery then on a 9700. The reboot is a lot faster though.

MikeFromCanada likes this.
    08-19-11 06:05 AM
    I would definitely check on what is running in the background. Yesterday was my first full day with the phone under normal conditions, if not heavy use conditions. I was able to unplug at about 6am and when I plugged in at 10pm I had 35% battery left. If I can do that everyday I will be thrilled. Hopefully updates will improve battery performance further though.
    08-19-11 06:32 AM
    I can only echo what cwbcpa just said.

Check what's running in the background; see if you're jumping between EDGE/3G/GPRS etc a lot, since this can start to have an adverse effect too.

I also reduced the screen brightness to 50% and the backlight timer down to 10s.

Admittedly I havent spent a lot of time on my phone today; just a few calls and some emails, BBM and small amount of surfing, but the battery is still going, and after 28 hrs down to 30%. Running .296 on Vodafone UK, no background apps running.
    08-19-11 06:37 AM

Rebooting use a tremendous amount of battery and you have rebooted three times!
    08-19-11 06:47 AM
    I can only echo what cwbcpa just said.

Check what's running in the background; see if you're jumping between EDGE/3G/GPRS etc a lot, since this can start to have an adverse effect too.

I also reduced the screen brightness to 50% and the backlight timer down to 10s.

Admittedly I havent spent a lot of time on my phone today; just a few calls and some emails, BBM and small amount of surfing, but the battery is still going, and after 28 hrs down to 30%. Running .296 on Vodafone UK, no background apps running.
    I would recommend setting the screen brightness to 10, even at 10 I find it too bright, expecially in the dark.

08-19-11 07:22 AM

Same, same, same.

I hope updates address this - I even went so far as exchanging my 9900 in for another one - the second is slightly better but nowhere near the battery life I got out of my 9780 or 9700.

I've never had to purchase a spare battery and I don't intend to start now, a phone should be able to last a day under normal usage (which I guess is heavier than most in my case) - even if the phone does have insane performance, which it does...love this thing, just wish it would last longer
    08-19-11 08:28 AM
    Also it seems that the killer right now is low coverage areas. When the phone is struggling for signal, reverting to EDGE, or even dropping and picking up Wi-Fi - it KILLS your battery.

Sitting in a room full of servers kills your reception pretty good and probably has an effect
    ginterrace likes this.
    08-19-11 08:30 AM
    Also it seems that the killer right now is low coverage areas. When the phone is struggling for signal, reverting to EDGE, or even dropping and picking up Wi-Fi - it KILLS your battery.

Sitting in a room full of servers kills your reception pretty good and probably has an effect
    This is exactly correct, I live/work in two environments. All other things being equal:

At home, where I have plenty of signal (CDMA -90dBm at worst; four-five bars all the time), the battery lasts longer than 16 hours, constantly playing with the phone.

In my other environment (CDMA < -105 dBm; two bars if I'm lucky), the battery last barely 10 hours if I don't play with it.

This is equivalent to the battery life on my Tour/9630.
    08-19-11 10:14 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD