I have an iPhone 4s hand me down from my son. I like the phone ok especially the fact that I can receive emails and have learned to send text messages. I'm tired of all the IOS updates that Apple sends me and slows down my phone operation and runs the battery down quicker. I love the look and size of the blackberry 9900 and I'm really considering buy a good used one from ebay. What do you think. Thanks
    10-10-15 09:13 AM
    If your primary/main usage is emailing and sending texts, the 9900 is an excellent phone. If you decide to buy one from eBay, just make sure you get the right one for your carrier.
    10-10-15 09:58 AM
    For me the 9900 is outdated
    I would think about q10 or the classic if you have the budget
    But OS 7 is outdated and u'll face a lot of problems with it (internet package, contacts management, etc...)
    Anyhow it's your choice again

From BlackBerry with Love
    10-10-15 05:13 PM
    You will need to arrange for Blackberry Internet Service (BIS) through your carrier to get the most from it. That has a monthly fee. To help the phone run smoother and stop it freezing you should regularly clear the event log. You can do this by holding the alt key and typing lglg at the same time. Select clear log from the menu key (the BB button). Hope it works out for you.
    andy957 likes this.
    10-10-15 06:34 PM
    Personally, I would pick up a Q5 or possibly a Q10.

I'm NOT saying that because the 9900 isn't a very capable I'm saying that because both those devices have much larger batteries and have a larger screen which makes it easier to see things

But, if you like the Bold 9900 there is no problems with it. Will work just as nicely as any other device for texting and E-mails.

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on OS 10.3.3.271
    10-11-15 02:46 AM
    If you have the funds for a 9900, pick up a Q10 or Q5 instead (In some countries, the Q10 is the same price as the 9900 of cheaper). I highly recommend BlackBerry 10 over the legacy OS.

Posted via  Z30 STA100-2 | 10.3.2.2339
    10-11-15 07:09 AM
    According to me 9900 is not a good idea as the OS development is almost finished
    you should buy BlackBerry Q10 I used BlackBerry Q10 after BlackBerry Bold
    what to say BB7 OS is why small and old OS on bb10 is my favourite OS, using Q10 from year and it's awsm

But if you want to buy full touch then go for bb Leap
    10-12-15 05:03 AM
    As a second phone maybe 9900..i use bold 5 but as a second phone since I cant do half the things as I can on bb 10

Posted via BlackBerry Z10
    10-12-15 08:56 AM
    I switched from an Android to the 9900 and couldn't be happier.

All I do with a phone is text, check the weather and read the news.

The 9900 form factor is the same as a 4.7" with the keyboard open. I just wouldn't expect it to do more than the 4S. The OS is not supported anymore, and there are limited apps - I just use the browser to get to the sites I had an "app" for.
    10-13-15 11:46 AM
    Jim Balsillie still uses a Bold:

http://www.macleans.ca/economy/busin...rry-balsillie/

And so does President Obama!

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    10-13-15 01:28 PM
    Classic is actually the 9900 replacement and works so much faster .
    10-13-15 03:01 PM
    I have an iPhone 4s hand me down from my son. I like the phone ok especially the fact that I can receive emails and have learned to send text messages. I'm tired of all the IOS updates that Apple sends me and slows down my phone operation and runs the battery down quicker. I love the look and size of the blackberry 9900 and I'm really considering buy a good used one from ebay. What do you think. Thanks
    Waste of money. Get a Classic or Passport.

RedBerry Passport /10.3.2.2639 / Telus
    10-13-15 03:11 PM
    Absolutely worth having if you use your device for calling and messaging (email, txt, BBM)... And like the small light form factor to boot. BB have still produced anything to lure my gf away, almost if the white classic came to Canada but it never did.
    10-13-15 04:05 PM
    According to me 9900 is not a good idea as the OS development is almost finished
    BB10 development is "almost finished". BBOS development is long over - there hasn't been an update in years.

OP, my concern would be lack of BIS support (required for email and BBM on a legacy BBOS device). I see carriers dropping it soon.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    10-13-15 04:16 PM
    Get it cheap enough and give the tool belt a try and you might just get hooked for life. BIS is still easy enough depending on carrier. No good predictions on future of bis, tho. My plan is to fall back on Classic while enjoying every keystroke I can with 99 till then. Life's uncertain, eat desert first. Lol.
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    10-15-15 01:44 AM
    To answer the question, it depends.

To me, a Bold 9900 would still be an option as a pure work phone with no other tasks than communication. It's probably one of the best looking BlackBerry devices ever produced, it's super compact, lightweight and it just handles communication tasks perfectly. It might even have some advantages over BB10 when it comes to those core tasks.

Yet, this would only be an option if I'd always carry two phones, one being an Android or iOS flagship.

As soon as you'd use it as your main phone, you just have to be aware that it barely counts as a smartphone anymore today. If you're okay with mailing, texting and very very basic browsing, you could think about it. Then again, why wouldn't you just get a Classic for a few bucks more where you have considerably more freedom?

Conclusively, the Bold 9900 can still be a worthwhile partner today, but in a world of mobile super computers, it has become a very specialized tool, appreciated only by the few traditionalists who know how to handle it.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    10-15-15 04:27 PM
    If you use Docs To Go then absolutely...it's light years more advanced than the BlackBerry10 version.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-15 04:55 PM
    Classic is actually the 9900 replacement and works so much faster .
    No it isn't.

OP, my concern would be lack of BIS support (required for email and BBM on a legacy BBOS device). I see carriers dropping it soon.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789

Which is why... Blackberry need to Develop the 'BlackBerry Hub' for BBOS 7.1 to replace the BIS function... it would give the bold many more years of life when BIS dies.

They can do it.. but shame they won't (doubt it would be expensive to create/develop.
    10-15-15 06:57 PM
    +1 on the Q10 recommendations. Its a better phone in my opinion. Forget about OS7....too old in my opinion, not to mention the BIS dependency.
    10-15-15 07:09 PM
    Which is why... Blackberry need to Develop the 'BlackBerry Hub' for BBOS 7.1 to replace the BIS function... it would give the bold many more years of life when BIS dies.
    What does the Hub (an OS feature/implementation) have to do with BIS (traffic routing?)
    10-15-15 08:27 PM
    What does the Hub (an OS feature/implementation) have to do with BIS (traffic routing?)
    The fact the BOLD9900... is selling more in 2015 and many youngsters are getting it... (but most of them don't know that BIS) issue.

Having a HUB on the 9900 to replace the BIS would benefit the bold in years to come.

no need for a dataplan,

there are 3rd party email apps for the 9900 but all have there own issues.
    10-15-15 08:40 PM
    Having a HUB on the 9900 to replace the BIS would benefit the bold in years to come.
    I think you're confused. The Hub is code, not a data service. It's like comparing a car's seat belt to gasoline.

no need for a dataplan
    Now this is in the same ballpark as BIS--a way to get your data.
    10-15-15 08:50 PM
    I think you're confused. The Hub is code, not a data service. It's like comparing a car's seat belt to gasoline.

Now this is in the same ballpark as BIS--a way to get your data.
    Not confused..... i said BB need to make a 'hub' for BBOS7.

to access your emails on the BOLD you need BIS no?? which many youngsters dont know about or don't want a monthly fee.

with Hub, no need for BIS.
    10-16-15 03:45 AM
    to access your emails on the BOLD you need BIS no??
    Yes, but so does BBM. And that's present in BB10 but does not require BIS. So obviously it's not about an individual feature, but how the OS was designed.

I think what you're trying to say is that BlackBerry needs to make BBOS like BB10, where a BIS plan is no longer required.
    10-16-15 11:40 AM
    Yes, but so does BBM. And that's present in BB10 but does not require BIS. So obviously it's not about an individual feature, but how the OS was designed.

I think what you're trying to say is that BlackBerry needs to make BBOS like BB10, where a BIS plan is no longer required.
    And Google needs to make a Gingerbread OS with a Lollipop skin.

RedBerry Passport /10.3.2.2639 / Telus
    10-16-15 02:00 PM
182 123 ...