Hi all,

I received a BlackBerry 9900 from work and am currently very happy using it.
    But I have run into an issue with WhatsApp: with it installed, my battery seems to drain within the next 6 hours. I checked by having a fully charged Blackberry when leaving from work and in the evening, it was already down to ~10% without having used WhatsApp at all (it was closed in the application manager and I had turned off 3G, enabled just 2G/Edge).

So I tried searching forums for different solutions but none have come up with a good one: removing modules, installing newer version, ... all seem to cause the phone to heat up (!!!) and drain the battery at an enormous rate. The only solution I have found is to uninstall WhatsApp but this seems like a bother as I have a lot of contacts who use WhatsApp on a daily basis (as Viber and other programs don't work/aren't compliant with the IT policy).

Does anyone have an idea on how I could resolve this problem?

Thanks guys!

- Z
    07-01-13 12:42 PM
    I own a 9900 and use Whatsapp on a daily basis. Though, as with any other resident software when activated battery can discharge at a higher rate, unless you are continously sending and receiving messages you should not have an issue.
    Make sure you are using the latest version of the app and also check your OS vesion..
    07-01-13 01:43 PM
    Maybe that is not Whatsapp issue, check your CPU usage then you will which App drain your battery.
    Option-> Device -> Application Management -> slide right -> check it!
    07-01-13 05:21 PM
    Hi there

Whatsapp always runs in the background, try closing/exit when you have used the application.

07-02-13 07:34 AM
    Hi all,
    I'm also a 9900 user and had experienced a same problem,
    when whatsapp installed, my battery discharge average 8-10% per hour without even using it.
    and a few times I noticed that when the battery has 30% left, it dropped to less than 10% in a matter of minutes,
    I thought my battery is gone bad.
    then last week I uninstalled whatsapp, and my battery discharged has been on 1.5-2% per hour and it was fine when
    it has 30% left, never had any more problems with the battery any more.
    so, even though I need the application, I can live without it as it used to drive me crazy as I need to charge my BB 2-3 times
    a day.
    08-11-13 03:31 AM
    Hi there,

Whatsapp runs in the background like BBM, however unlike BBM you can exit/close the application after use and you will still receive messages in the normal way.

Just remember. To exit/close everytime you use the application, and battery life will be fine, easy when you know how?

08-11-13 03:47 AM