Hello,

I own a BlackBerry 900 unbranded, I know my BlackBerry is working at HSPA+ however the icon shows 3G.

is there any OS that would make it look 4G/HSPA+? I know this is not really carrier specific either since my co-worker owns a 9900 as well (we're on the same carrier) and his shows 4G/HSPA+.

Thanks in advance!
    03-13-12 02:02 PM
    No, your phone will always show 3G... and it IS carrier specific.

Only a few North American carriers are using the H+/4G marketing gimmick on their supplied handsets... everyone else in the world is showing 3G. Like you said, we're all getting HSPA+ speeds anyway, so who cares what it displays?
    03-13-12 04:59 PM
    ^ what Phil said.

Here's my story...

Long story short, my 9900 showed 3G with my 9+ year old sim on Fido.

I bought a new sim and now it says H+.
    03-13-12 05:56 PM
    ^ what Phil said.

Here's my story...

Long story short, my 9900 showed 3G with my 9+ year old sim on Fido.

I bought a new sim and now it says H+.
    Wow, really... that's funny. The H+ is not actually LTE. It is 3.5 G and all the North American companies like Bell, Telus, Rogers, etc, market it as H+ while AT&T even market it as 4G. I saw a commercial AT&T showing off "4G Bold 9900" when in fact another company can say well, it is 3.5 G.

Bold 99xx cannot receive the true 4G LTE signal as far as I know.
    03-13-12 06:25 PM
    Hello,

I own a BlackBerry 900 unbranded, I know my BlackBerry is working at HSPA+ however the icon shows 3G.

is there any OS that would make it look 4G/HSPA+? I know this is not really carrier specific either since my co-worker owns a 9900 as well (we're on the same carrier) and his shows 4G/HSPA+.

Thanks in advance!
    The H+ logo/icon is added to the core system by RIM at the request of the carrier. So, if both of you guys are on same carrier, but one got the phone from them and you got it from outside Canada or in this case unbranded, you will not see the H+ logo.
    03-13-12 06:28 PM
    Wow, really... that's funny. The H+ is not actually LTE. It is 3.5 G and all the North American companies like Bell, Telus, Rogers, etc, market it as H+ while AT&T even market it as 4G. I saw a commercial AT&T showing off "4G Bold 9900" when in fact another company can say well, it is 3.5 G.

Bold 99xx cannot receive the true 4G LTE signal as far as I know.
    So true!
    I still can't believe iOS5.1 says 4G now on the AT&T iPhone 4S'. At least some carriers use the H+, which I find acceptable, but now normal consumers are so confused with 4G/H+ along with 4GLTE being rolled out also. I've already seen quite a few "So happy with my new 4G iPhone!" statuses on Facebook.
    03-13-12 06:40 PM
    LTE and 4G are not the same thing, at least in terms of branding I've seen from pretty much every carrier. H+ is being branded by carriers as 4G, and LTE is being branded as being above that. If a phone is LTE enabled, I have never once seen it advertised as 4G. It's always been a LTE phone.

Ultimately, who cares what the branding says? It's the speed that counts, and LTE is faster than H+, which is faster than standard 3G. Realistically, buying an LTE phone is useless unless you live in one of the like, what, four cities in the country that have that capability set up? But then again, a lot of places still aren't set up for H+, despite getting 3G, so...

JB
    03-14-12 08:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD