I was in an AT&T store about a month back to check out the Torch. They had one broken demo unit. Not really broken but missing a power cord. I asked the rep (he greeted me at the door) if they had the BB Torch. He just said yes, and pointed. So I stood there messing with it and a Curve that was working. Thinking at some point someone would bother to help me and maybe offer to get the Torch working. No one did. They were all helping other customers with the Android handsets. After about 15 mins I left in disgust. It was evident none of them cared whether or not they were even selling BB phones. So I'd not read a lot into the absence of BB phones from AT&T stores.
    05-24-11 11:10 PM
    The Torch doesn't really suck any harder than the rest of the BBs at the things BBs suck at. The touch screen is nice too. That said, I'm getting a 9900 the first day I can buy one. I hate the form factor on the Torch.
    If you think "the rest of the BBs suck" why would you bother with a 9900. There was only one Torch and each had an opportunity to return it.
    05-25-11 05:29 AM
    I was in an AT&T store about a month back to check out the Torch. They had one broken demo unit. Not really broken but missing a power cord. I asked the rep (he greeted me at the door) if they had the BB Torch. He just said yes, and pointed. So I stood there messing with it and a Curve that was working. Thinking at some point someone would bother to help me and maybe offer to get the Torch working. No one did. They were all helping other customers with the Android handsets. After about 15 mins I left in disgust. It was evident none of them cared whether or not they were even selling BB phones. So I'd not read a lot into the absence of BB phones from AT&T stores.
    If this was a Corporate AT&T store you should call the regional manager. It sounds more like you were at an authorized dealer which is next to being at a kiosk at your local mall.
    05-25-11 05:32 AM
    This is beyond funny, our sales reps and store managers get absolutely zero info on releases until the very last minute which is why many hang out here to get info on the latest releases...

June is out, July is most likely 98% out, August is the best guess at this point but given that it has still not been confirmed in field trial with ANY carrier yet thats only 50/50 IMO...

PG
    Laugh if you want to...but, the reps and managers at my local corp stores are all (by & large) mobile phone addicts like most of us here. The manager I speak of has been almost 100% accurate on his release date tips. I'm sure most of the reps and managers where you are, are idiots...but most here are pretty good.

You sound like an authority. Yeah...like that preacher who was so sure that the world would end on May 21st! Lol

June...no.
    July...98% out.
    August...uh, maybe.

Okie dokie...

And, how are you so sure that AT&T isn't testing the phone in the field? Seems like at least one member here has been able to play with a 9900 already...
    05-25-11 07:02 AM
    If I remember correctly, the videos Kevin posted from Blackberry World showed 9900 on AT&T service. Would have to think that is a good sign.
    05-25-11 07:08 AM
    This is beyond funny, our sales reps and store managers get absolutely zero info on releases until the very last minute which is why many hang out here to get info on the latest releases...

June is out, July is most likely 98% out, August is the best guess at this point but given that it has still not been confirmed in field trial with ANY carrier yet thats only 50/50 IMO...

PG
    I am sorry to not agree with you on one point! The 9900 AND 9930 are both out in testing right now. I have seen both with my own eyes.

I do agree on the sales reps not knowing anything till the last minute. How long do you think AT&T could keep a seacret if they told anything to their sales reps!
    05-25-11 09:28 AM
    I am sorry to not agree with you on one point! The 9900 AND 9930 are both out in testing right now. I have seen both with my own eyes.

I do agree on the sales reps not knowing anything till the last minute. How long do you think AT&T could keep a seacret if they told anything to their sales reps!
    You said you also seen the 9930? Do you have any info about when Sprint will be getting it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-25-11 09:56 AM

considering phonegeek is a device tester for At&T and has proved so its kinda hard to say his information in incorrect

05-25-11 11:09 AM

greggebhardt: Did you get a chance to play with it? If so, how was the web and overall experience, feel in the hand? I am tired of updating bold 9700 OS 6 versions. Waiting to pick this up as soon as its out.
    RIM should taken this new hardware out with OS 6. I would take that any minute and upgrade to OS 7 later whenever AT&T and others complete their heavy duty testing..
    05-25-11 11:10 AM

Arent you the same person that said the 9780 was coming to At&t from trusted sources...etc..etc...
    05-25-11 11:15 AM
    considering phonegeek is a device tester for At&T and has proved so its kinda hard to say his information in incorrect

I can only say what I know. He must not be included in this or can't say anything due to NDA. I am not here to convince anyone
    05-25-11 12:03 PM
    First let me say that Gregg is a very well respected and knowledgable member of the CB community. Second, there were confirmed reports that AT&T was going to release the 9780, however later elected not to. Third, AT&T made the decision to suspend the Bold line of devices until the release of the Bold Touch (Dakota).

Arent you the same person that said the 9780 was coming to At&t from trusted sources...etc..etc...
    05-25-11 12:50 PM
    ...Second, there were confirmed reports that AT&T was going to release the 9780, however later elected not to...
    and you should know DawgMan... you own one!
    05-25-11 01:04 PM
    First let me say that Gregg is a very well respected and knowledgable member of the CB community.
    Lol, I very well know who he is. I even think he's ok sometimes.

I just need a release date for this mama...I'm dumping an htc inpsire 4g for it
    05-25-11 01:17 PM
    I do own one.

As far release dates, that is up to the carrier to decide. Once they have completed the field testing and have employees trained...it's all a mystery.

and you should know DawgMan... you own one!

05-25-11 01:30 PM

SO few people know the release dates that you could probably count them on one hand. The contact I know does not know because there is no need for him to know. You must realize that the more people that know the less chance to keep it a secret. Asking a sales rep is useless yet they all got an opinion.

I am betting that, as the 9900 is still "in process" at RIM, that there may not even be a hard date for release. Then it could come out June 17th
    05-25-11 04:54 PM
    I'm a current AT&T user who is looking very forward to the 9900. I'm also looking seriously at Verizon when my contract ends this year and my decision will be based on two things:

1) BB Bridge. I have a PB and am appreciative for the CB downloads and work arounds, but this should be a carrier-supported feature. If AT&T decides not to allow Bridge, I will probably leave.

2) Wifi Hotspot. Once again, if AT&T decides to disable this feature or charge out the wazoo for it, I'll probably switch to Verizon.

Time will tell...
    05-26-11 09:16 AM
    If I remember correctly, the videos Kevin posted from Blackberry World showed 9900 on AT&T service. Would have to think that is a good sign.

Uh huh...

05-26-11 09:51 AM
    SO few people know the release dates that you could probably count them on one hand. The contact I know does not know because there is no need for him to know. You must realize that the more people that know the less chance to keep it a secret. Asking a sales rep is useless yet they all got an opinion.

I am betting that, as the 9900 is still "in process" at RIM, that there may not even be a hard date for release. Then it could come out June 17th
    I will hold you to June 17th then
    05-26-11 11:33 AM
    What OS are you using for the Torch? I was also very disappointed that ATT didnt get the 9780. I really hope they will get the 9900. I heard it was only for T-Mobile which I hope not!
    I'm on .534 currently.
    05-27-11 09:48 AM

I have never denied that the 9900 was being tested. All I have said is that it is being tested in the lab still. It has not been released for field trial at at&t yet.

You're free to disagree and it may be proven at some point that I am wrong...

PG
    05-27-11 10:48 AM
    I have never denied that the 9900 was being tested. All I have said is that it is being tested in the lab still. It has not been released for field trial at at&t yet.

You're free to disagree and it may be proven at some point that I am wrong...

PG
    It does not matter to me as I am here to prove nothing. The unit I saw and held was for the use of an AT&T official. He/She was not doing technical field testing. There was also a discussion that there were "others" holding the same devices and were doing some field testing.
    Last edited by greggebhardt; 05-27-11 at 10:59 AM.
    05-27-11 10:56 AM
    check out 1:31 of this video of the 9900 being used at blackberry world. clearly shows AT&T as the network at the top of the screen.

05-28-11 09:58 AM
    Its hard to tell you to be patient!
    05-28-11 11:56 AM
    I am not in the Mobile industry and do not understand what the big secret is. I understand that the carriers need to test the devices on thier system but how complicated can it be? My experience in VZW stores is that most people who come in for a phone pretty much know what they want. I was in a Best Buy yesterday and spoke with a very knowledgeable sales person and he said he was getting his information from Crackberry. Its just a new phone why cant they say it will be here in June or whatever?
    05-28-11 12:06 PM
126 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD