Cross posted from the iMore iPhone 4s forum:

http://forums.imore.com/iphone-4s-fo...ry-9900-a.html

I�m lucky (or unlucky) enough to have an iPhone 4s and a Blackberry 9900 and have really been trying to get on the hype band wagon of liking the 4s, but have been failing miserably!

First off, real life apps (such as Wakeful my alarm, for example) which work flawlessly on my 9900 just fail on the iPhone. I�m not sure if this is the phone�s fault or the app developers fault but it is a problem. I�m talking, as I said, about real life applications, I have a life and a job etc, so really don�t care about Angry Birds and the like. I don�t have time to play all day on a phone, I just want something that works.

Connectivity is more of an issue with the iPhone, especially with WIFI. The BB seems to connect immediately and stay connected, the iPhone is constantly dropping WIFI. As I search the net, I see this is a problem for many and no concrete solutions seem to be available.

The iPhone key pad is not bad for a touch screen I must admit. However there is no doubt that the physical keyboard of the 9900 is far superior for typing. After a while on the 9900, you can type without looking similar to a computer keyboard or typewriter. Again, I mean especially for longer emails etc at work. I send a few text messages but again, I personally don�t have time for that. If I need to converse, I can call.

It seems that every song, tone etc I would like to put on my iPhone has to be done thru iTunes, and not just any iTunes but the one that is synced to my particular phone? Hard to do when your away from home.

Mentioning away from home, the iPhone is locked to one carrier and the 4s is unlockable. When I travel, I can�t simply insert the local carriers SIM and carry on. I know you can buy roaming add ons but, why would I want the extra expense?

Other than changing wallpapers, it seems there is not much customization I can do to the iPhone. At present there is no Jailbreak for the 4s, and if there was if I was to jailbreak it, I void my warranty! Seems like everything must go thru Apple by design, I can�t even get a Kindle book without going thru Apple!

If you have an iPhone and like it, good for you. My opinion though is that it has a long way to go to catch up with the modern BB as an honest to goodness workhorse. It is a great gaming device if you�re bored and have nothing to do, but most of us aren�t, hopefully that bored!

I�m not looking to troll or be convinced that the iPhone is better and I doubt you can convince me anyway, I�m just stating my opinion and why I can�t be sucked into the iPhone hype that Apple and to a degree, the media has brought to the public. Perhaps a future OS upgrade can help, but I suppose that is once again up to Apple.
    05-24-12 11:51 AM
    Apple products are very restrictive and almost everything needs to go thru iTunes for my iPhone and iPad. RIM was not as open as I found Android.

You really got to accept the 4S for what it is or look else where. I was a RIM users from all the way back to the 950 days and lived on this forum but could not put up with every single 9900 being bad in my company. I have little faith in RIM and BB10 and Apple get it done for me. I want a larger screen on the iPhone 5 and MS Office for the iPad. All coming later this year.
    05-24-12 01:03 PM
    I have had both (sold iPhone and still have 9900)

They are not comparable. The iPhone is more for entertainment, BBerry for messaging and talk.

Each excels at those.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    05-24-12 02:19 PM
    Really? My wifi connects instantly with my 4S.
    05-24-12 02:31 PM
    Cross posted from the iMore iPhone 4s forum:

http://forums.imore.com/iphone-4s-fo...ry-9900-a.html

I�m lucky (or unlucky) enough to have an iPhone 4s and a Blackberry 9900 and have really been trying to get on the hype band wagon of liking the 4s, but have been failing miserably!

First off, real life apps (such as Wakeful my alarm, for example) which work flawlessly on my 9900 just fail on the iPhone. I�m not sure if this is the phone�s fault or the app developers fault but it is a problem. I�m talking, as I said, about real life applications, I have a life and a job etc, so really don�t care about Angry Birds and the like. I don�t have time to play all day on a phone, I just want something that works.

Connectivity is more of an issue with the iPhone, especially with WIFI. The BB seems to connect immediately and stay connected, the iPhone is constantly dropping WIFI. As I search the net, I see this is a problem for many and no concrete solutions seem to be available.

The iPhone key pad is not bad for a touch screen I must admit. However there is no doubt that the physical keyboard of the 9900 is far superior for typing. After a while on the 9900, you can type without looking similar to a computer keyboard or typewriter. Again, I mean especially for longer emails etc at work. I send a few text messages but again, I personally don�t have time for that. If I need to converse, I can call.

It seems that every song, tone etc I would like to put on my iPhone has to be done thru iTunes, and not just any iTunes but the one that is synced to my particular phone? Hard to do when your away from home.

Mentioning away from home, the iPhone is locked to one carrier and the 4s is unlockable. When I travel, I can�t simply insert the local carriers SIM and carry on. I know you can buy roaming add ons but, why would I want the extra expense?

Other than changing wallpapers, it seems there is not much customization I can do to the iPhone. At present there is no Jailbreak for the 4s, and if there was if I was to jailbreak it, I void my warranty! Seems like everything must go thru Apple by design, I can�t even get a Kindle book without going thru Apple!

If you have an iPhone and like it, good for you. My opinion though is that it has a long way to go to catch up with the modern BB as an honest to goodness workhorse. It is a great gaming device if you�re bored and have nothing to do, but most of us aren�t, hopefully that bored!

I�m not looking to troll or be convinced that the iPhone is better and I doubt you can convince me anyway, I�m just stating my opinion and why I can�t be sucked into the iPhone hype that Apple and to a degree, the media has brought to the public. Perhaps a future OS upgrade can help, but I suppose that is once again up to Apple.

Let me start off by saying that I agree with you on the customisation of the 9900 as opposed to the 4S. It's the reason I get bored with my 4S. I do not agree with you on a couple of points, which I've bolded.

First off, this morning my BB alarm decided to go on strike. I woke up two hours late. Jumped in the shower for a panicked quick shower, hair looking like a Medusa. This seems to be a recurring problem with the 9930 which I've never experienced before with any other BB.

You can buy the 4S unlocked straight for Apple. No carrier discount, though. But if you want the device and you must have it unlocked, it is available.
    05-24-12 02:49 PM
    Sadly, mine is constantly connecting/disconnecting...... I don't know why but it's frustrating as h e 11 ! I searched for a solution on the 'net, but all I can find are lots of users with this problem and lots of try this or try that and nothing concrete, so it's obviously not just me. Hopefully a software update will fix it for us....

As I stated, I want to like this phone, but there are just some things about it that frustrate the heck out of me just as I'm sure there are somethings that frustrate those who prefer their 4s over theur 9900.

R...

Really? My wifi connects instantly with my 4S.
    05-24-12 03:19 PM
    Based on my experience, every smartphone device, no matter if BlackBerry, iPhone, Android, always require a restart to clear memory. Usually, this fixes a majority of issues such as freezing and certain apps not working. I restart mine every day so no app fails me, specially the alarm. Company devices such as BlackBerrys or IOS have issues, but usually is because of users not giving them the care they need.

Again, this is my experience. I use to have iPhone 4S and it worked fine. My 9900 works great.
    05-24-12 03:24 PM
    Sadly, mine is constantly connecting/disconnecting...... I don't know why but it's frustrating as h e 11 ! I searched for a solution on the 'net, but all I can find are lots of users with this problem and lots of try this or try that and nothing concrete, so it's obviously not just me. Hopefully a software update will fix it for us....

As I stated, I want to like this phone, but there are just some things about it that frustrate the heck out of me just as I'm sure there are somethings that frustrate those who prefer their 4s over theur 9900.

R...
    Have you updated the software? A new software update (5.1.1) came out about two weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    05-24-12 05:53 PM
    Yes, software was updated a while ago and there was no improvement. I keep hoping, but...... As I mentioned, if I Google it I find that many have the problem with WIFI but no one knows why for sure. Such is life in the iPhone lane I guess!

R...

Have you updated the software? A new software update (5.1.1) came out about two weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    05-24-12 09:02 PM
    How the first can anybody use a iphone for work? I have the iphone 4 and the 9900. Something as simple as saving a file from email, goodluck. I have price sheets, manuals, service bulletins I need to reveiw often and blank invoices I can edit and print straight from my 9900. I'm talking Gb of files. The email useless on the iphone without the option to keep them on phone as long as you want and the ability to search right thru them. And when I'm riding down the road and hear a song on the radio that I want to download from any site I want and have it as standard media not a freaking app/browser that gives no ability to do anything with it. Not to mention the iwhat reception. I'm berry to the bone
    05-24-12 10:29 PM
    Yes, software was updated a while ago and there was no improvement. I keep hoping, but...... As I mentioned, if I Google it I find that many have the problem with WIFI but no one knows why for sure. Such is life in the iPhone lane I guess!

R...
    Oh, well idk. Hope you find a solution!
    05-24-12 10:51 PM
    I traded my Bold 9930 for an iPhone 4 for like 2 weeks and activated my Bold again. After all my anticipation it just ended up being a bland experience and I hated the fact that the entire OS revolves around the touch screen and that stupid home button. Man I hated touching the damn home button everytime I wanted to do something.
    05-25-12 12:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD