Just look at the low end BlackBerry phones that the carriers sell. All 3 sell 9700, 9780 and Torch. But when you move down to the non-3G phones, Rogers sells the sim card Curve 8520 while Bell /Telus sell the cdma Curve 8530.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Currently the Curve 8530 has been phased out for the 9300. Belus only chose the 8530 because the 8520 does not have HSPA and so is not compatible with their network.

same with the Style. Belus carrys the CDMA version because there's *NO* GSM version.
    05-23-11 01:00 AM
    The way I see it is Bell will release whichever version comes out first. If the 9930 was released first, you wanna bet Bell will grab it? Bell will do anything to compete with Rogers. Rogers won't carry the 9930, period. But Bell can. Bell can go either way. It has nothing to do with CDMA being phased out whenever Bell decides to do so. It's all about competition. They carry the 9800 and the 9780 because there isn't a CDMA version. The Big 3 hate each other. So I won't be surprised if Bell picks up the 9900 because I'm pretty sure that will be out before the 9930. This is just my opinion.
    You're making it sound as if RIM will release the two 99XX models at different times. They're pretty much complete. It's all up to the carriers at this point. Bell has no reason to choose the 9930 if the 9900 is available at the same time and offers the same network speed as Rogers (competition is everything, as you said).

One other thing. The CDMA version of the 9780 is the 9850 (Tour2). The Style is comparable to the Torch as its CDMA counterpart, but it looks like only Telus has it.
    05-23-11 03:44 AM
    Just to help clear the confusion on release date. At this point it is NOT the RIM who is delaying the release. Each service provider has their own agenda. For some service providers, they want to get rid of old BBs and wants to stock a lot of 9900s before launching the device.

For Canadian greedy companies; well, our companies work like slaves to US companies. All three major service providers are waiting for their slave master AT&T finish testing. Canadian greedy mobile companies seems to follow whatever us does. Most cell phones are never tested in Canada before release.

05-23-11 08:13 AM
    The way I see it is Bell will release whichever version comes out first. If the 9930 was released first, you wanna bet Bell will grab it? Bell will do anything to compete with Rogers. Rogers won't carry the 9930, period. But Bell can. Bell can go either way. It has nothing to do with CDMA being phased out whenever Bell decides to do so. It's all about competition. They carry the 9800 and the 9780 because there isn't a CDMA version. The Big 3 hate each other. So I won't be surprised if Bell picks up the 9900 because I'm pretty sure that will be out before the 9930. This is just my opinion.
    You don't know what you're talking about and are spreading misinformation.
    05-23-11 10:41 PM
    You don't know what you're talking about and are spreading misinformation.

It's my opinion on what I think of Bell.
    05-24-11 12:07 AM
    It's my opinion on what I think of Bell.
    Which is not entirely based on reality, and you're spreading it as fact.

05-24-11 01:25 AM
    As far as I know, Telus is the only one that still caters to CDMA, I don't know why because they just installed 4G on their HSPA, I'll be glad when CDMA is completely done away with in Canada, I always thought poor signal was normal until I started using a GSM phone and was surprised at how much better signal was with it. I lost count on dropped calls on my CDMA phones in the past 10 some odd years. I had to stand in certain spots of my house(s) to get maybe 2 bars on CDMA but almost always had full bars on HSPA.
    05-24-11 08:26 AM
    The only issue I had with Bell was that many stores would not sell it to me outright unless I was able to give them a Bell account number.

I did eventually find someone that did it for me though.
    05-24-11 09:28 AM
    Which is not entirely based on reality, and you're spreading it as fact.

Did you not read the end of my post?? I said "This is just my opinion". Lighten up guys. This forum used to be a friendly one. Now all you guys do is attack people's opinions. I hate Bell. They play dirty FROM MY EXPERIENCE.
    I said that about Bell and no other carrier. JUST MY OPINION.
    05-24-11 10:53 AM
    As far as I know, Telus is the only one that still caters to CDMA, I don't know why because they just installed 4G on their HSPA, I'll be glad when CDMA is completely done away with in Canada, I always thought poor signal was normal until I started using a GSM phone and was surprised at how much better signal was with it. I lost count on dropped calls on my CDMA phones in the past 10 some odd years. I had to stand in certain spots of my house(s) to get maybe 2 bars on CDMA but almost always had full bars on HSPA.
    Amen Brother.
    05-24-11 09:15 PM
    Wirlessgal,

Did you see the front page? It says Virgin Mobile is getting the 9900. Virgin Mobile goes off of Bell's network.
    So if Virgin is getting the 9900, so will Bell. Not the 9930 like you have been insisting.
    06-14-11 10:22 AM
    Saw that Virgin Mobile will be getting the 9900. I was wrong. I'll admit it. Not gonna fight you on this one. So it's obvious that Bell knows it's in their best interest to carry the 9900 because it has the GSM bands. So they've covered their end in terms of people traveling overseas and require Edge for countries who don't have 3G.
    06-14-11 10:49 AM
    Funny thing is, I'm waiting for the new all touch Torch 9860 (Monza - GSM/HSPA/UMTS), and NOT the Torch 9850 (Monaco - CDMA).
    I too am sad that Smallville is over, but we still got Supernatural!!!
    06-14-11 12:06 PM
    Would be nice to see, but this would require a complete revamp of both bell and telus's entire networks. As it stands now, they can run almost all 3G GSM smartphones on their network and long as they run solely on their HSPA/3G network ... downside is, they have no fallback network such as edge like Rogers, Wind and Fido.

Bell and Telus have a pretty good HSPA network as it stands now so it may not even be feasible to switch to GSM.
    06-14-11 12:30 PM
    The phone will come soon... im personally getting very anxious for it as well, but if it takes until September to release, then there is a reason for that. Lets give it time and let them fix all the bugs so that we all dont go returning them 2 days after we buy them.
    06-14-11 12:32 PM
    Funny thing is, I'm waiting for the new all touch Torch 9860 (Monza - GSM/HSPA/UMTS), and NOT the Torch 9850 (Monaco - CDMA).
    I too am sad that Smallville is over, but we still got Supernatural!!!

My friend works for Rogers and he said the 9860 is better than the 9900. He didn't give me details as to why.

I'm still crying over the end of Smallville. I don't watch Supernatural. I regret watching from the beginning. Heard it's an excellent show.
    06-14-11 01:04 PM
    I worm at BestBuy Mobile Canada, I didn't even get training for 9900/9930 yet. I hope they don't delay this on Canada, but it seems like (according to so called news media), 9900/9930 is delayed for some reason. I keep checking Rogers and Telus all the time.
    06-14-11 02:39 PM
    I would hope that both Canada and the US get the Bold 9900/9930 at the same time. If by chance Canada does get the Bold a week before, gives me an excellent excuse to take the Tunnel or Bridge from Detroit to Windsor for the afternoon to at least check one out at a Rogers or Bell or Telus, then have lunch in Windsor and follow that with a nice Cuban Montechristo #2 torpedo cigar and antisipate the US Sprint Bold 9930 release

06-14-11 02:49 PM
    Alright so RIM'S in Canada and actually its not that far from like 20 minutes so anyways When will RIM Decide to tell US Canadians Where they're gonna release this phone to us. Im on Canada's BIGGEST Carrier (Rogers) For Americans its like AT&T. And all i've heard is that T-Mobile is getting .so Do you guys know when it will be out for Canadians and which Carrieers it'll go to first. Because im not gonna jump Carriers just for this phone.
    OH and also do you think this phone will be out before the IPHONE 5?
    I'm wondering the same thing except for TELUS but all I know is TELUS and Rogers WILL have it ...
    06-14-11 04:02 PM
    leftypepper716,

+1 on the Cuban Monticristo No. 2 Torpedo.
    06-14-11 10:01 PM
    I'm hoping for it to release in Australia the same time as USA and Canada... I know this is a lot to ask for though. I love Australia but they get tech so much later then Canada. Atleast with the stuff I want.

06-14-11 10:17 PM
    It definitely will be coming to the Big 3. But I think Bell and Telus will get the 9930 since their a CDMA company. Which is why I think Rogers will get it first.

BGR, Engadget etc. are always bias towards Apple. That's why I don't read their reviews.

Bell & Telus, evethough started off as a purely CDMA carrier, have switched over to HSPA(3.5G) initially; which is now already 4G and are utilizing sim cards like rogers and fido ..... furthermore, Solo, Koodo, and Virgin Mobile Canada have also made the switch to SIM card based HSPA since.

Ever since then, they have made the transition by not marketing newer CDMA berrys other than the Style and Storm...the tour 9630 have been discontinued For example, both carriers never had the Bold2 in the 9650 version ... sold by Verizon and sprint; Bell had the 9000 and 9700 while Telus went straight to the 9700.... then, both had the 9100, 9300 and 9780.... furthermore, the CDMA iphone4 sold @ Verizon also never made it north of the border. all carriers have the sim card iphone4.... (for those who wants to pay full price can buy a factory unlocked version from apple canada and choose their own provider (7)).

so having said that, we'll see who wins the race of getting the 9900 bold touch first. Rogers, Bell, Telus, or Virgin Mobile Canada. i dont think the 9930 or 9950 (if RIM decided to change the codes) versions will not be marketed north of the border similar to that of the (9650 Bold2/Tour2-CDMA)....
    06-14-11 10:39 PM
    Bell & Telus, evethough started off as a purely CDMA carrier, have switched over to HSPA(3.5G) initially; which is now already 4G and are utilizing sim cards like rogers and fido ..... furthermore, Solo, Koodo, and Virgin Mobile Canada have also made the switch to SIM card based HSPA since.

Ever since then, they have made the transition by not marketing newer CDMA berrys other than the Style and Storm...the tour 9630 have been discontinued For example, both carriers never had the Bold2 in the 9650 version ... sold by Verizon and sprint; Bell had the 9000 and 9700 while Telus went straight to the 9700.... then, both had the 9100, 9300 and 9780.... furthermore, the CDMA iphone4 sold @ Verizon also never made it north of the border. all carriers have the sim card iphone4.... (for those who wants to pay full price can buy a factory unlocked version from apple canada and choose their own provider (7)).

so having said that, we'll see who wins the race of getting the 9900 bold touch first. Rogers, Bell, Telus, or Virgin Mobile Canada. i dont think the 9930 or 9950 (if RIM decided to change the codes) versions will not be marketed north of the border similar to that of the (9650 Bold2/Tour2-CDMA)....

I am fully aware of Bell and Telus' networks. On two occasions Bell wanted to switch to GSM to compete directly with Rogers. The first time was many years ago. They set aside $400,000 million to switch to GSM but didn't. When they switched to 3G, they wanted to switch to GSM as well, but the cost went up to $1 billion dollars, so they decided not to. I am not surprised that Bell and Telus are carrying the same devices as Rogers because that is their direct threat. Bell and Rogers have been at war with each other for many many years. Rogers carried the Nokia E71 first and that phone sold like hot cakes. Telus decided to carry it, I think a year after Rogers had it.

I guess I should have worded things differently by saying, Rogers has the upper hand with their GSM technology. I can easily switch from 3G to 2G on my Torch to save battery life. If for some reason I forgot to charge my Torch and my phone has 25% battery life left, I can switch to 2G and that will save on battery life significantly. You do not have that option with Bell or Telus.

I will add that when Wind Mobile finally got approved to operate in Canada, Bell and Telus reacted badly to the news. Why? Because Wind is a GSM/3G carrier. Rogers response was, "great, we welcome the competition". I expected Rogers to react badly to the news because Wind is a bigger threat to Rogers than Bell or Telus. But doesn't seem to be the case. 2G is old technology but it's their most reliable network, from my experience. I don't see Rogers ditching 2G anytime soon.
    06-14-11 11:37 PM
    I've heard Wind was opperating illegaly, which I thought strange since I didn't think they would be running at all if that's the case. Are they going to stay now? When I get back from Australia I plan to switch to them. I haven't talked to anyone who is with them though but liked their plans.

06-15-11 06:10 AM
    It's all good. You have old news.

Government over ruled the CRTC and got the Federal Court to agree, so Wind is good to go.

Secondly, this government keeps making noise about dropping foreign investment restrictions in wireless, so we will likely see more Wind Mobiles, not less.
    06-15-11 06:16 PM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD