Alright so RIM'S in Canada and actually its not that far from like 20 minutes so anyways When will RIM Decide to tell US Canadians Where they're gonna release this phone to us. Im on Canada's BIGGEST Carrier (Rogers) For Americans its like AT&T. And all i've heard is that T-Mobile is getting .so Do you guys know when it will be out for Canadians and which Carrieers it'll go to first. Because im not gonna jump Carriers just for this phone.
    OH and also do you think this phone will be out before the IPHONE 5?
    05-18-11 05:06 PM
    Nobody knows anything yet...

If you're that concerned, go for a 20 minute drive and ask them yourself.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    shupor likes this.
    05-18-11 05:14 PM
    Indeed. I hope Wind gets it soon. Wind and T-Mobile share the same frequency so their release timing should be similar (I would think). Hopefully it's sometime in June

Also all signs are pointing to a September-ish release for iPhone 5 so yes it will likely be, but not by much unless RIM surprises.
    05-18-11 05:52 PM
    Rogers will get the 9900, but we have no idea when. All we know is it's this summer.

In terms of the iPhone5, I heard that won't be out until next year. Apple will be releasing the iPhone4S. Faster processor and they fixed the antenna issue. Whoopie.
    05-18-11 07:51 PM
    In terms of the iPhone5, I heard that won't be out until next year. Apple will be releasing the iPhone4S. Faster processor and they fixed the antenna issue. Whoopie.
    I'd really think it would be coming to the three major carriers more or less at the same time, and hopefully some of their "fake" sub-brands.

While I'd like to think the same if the 4S iPhone business is true we would probably all agrre that BGR, Engadget and the like will declare it the best phone in the history of the universe and that if you do not have it you're contributing to a global food crisis.
    05-18-11 07:57 PM
    Rogers will get the 9900, but we have no idea when. All we know is it's this summer.

I wouldn't really call the 4S a small upgrade, it's just an incremental one. It'll have iOS5, better camera, and go from single core to dual core, it will also support probably every carrier as the leaks show. 4S is likely this September-ish. iPhone 5 is next year indeed.
    Machzy likes this.
    05-18-11 08:50 PM
    I'd really think it would be coming to the three major carriers more or less at the same time, and hopefully some of their "fake" sub-brands.

While I'd like to think the same if the 4S iPhone business is true we would probably all agrre that BGR, Engadget and the like will declare it the best phone in the history of the universe and that if you do not have it you're contributing to a global food crisis.
    It definitely will be coming to the Big 3. But I think Bell and Telus will get the 9930 since their a CDMA company. Which is why I think Rogers will get it first.

BGR, Engadget etc. are always bias towards Apple. That's why I don't read their reviews.
    05-18-11 09:57 PM
    I wouldn't really call the 4S a small upgrade, it's just an incremental one. It'll have iOS5, better camera, and go from single core to dual core, it will also support probably every carrier as the leaks show. 4S is likely this September-ish. iPhone 5 is next year indeed.

For anyone how has the iPhone4, it's not worth the upgrade. How good could the camera be? Sure the dual core processor will be faster, but they are not increasing the screen size. I'm sure the iPhone4 can be upgraded to the iOS5.
    The design is the same.

Back to the 9900. I want it now.
    05-18-11 10:29 PM
    But I think Bell and Telus will get the 9930 since their a CDMA company. Which is why I think Rogers will get it first.
    Bell and Telus have both CDMA and GSM.

My bet will be that Bell and Telus will get the GSM version.
    05-18-11 10:30 PM
    Bell and Telus have both CDMA and GSM.

My bet will be that Bell and Telus will get the GSM version.

That is incorrect. Bell and Telus are a CDMA company but have the same 3G bands as Rogers and Fido. They never switched to GSM. It would make more sense if they got the CDMA version.
    05-18-11 11:25 PM
    That is incorrect. Bell and Telus are a CDMA company but have the same 3G bands as Rogers and Fido. They never switched to GSM. It would make more sense if they got the CDMA version.
    Tels/Bell WERE a cdma company. Now they are both cdma & gsm with GSM hspa being their primary new & best network. I don't think they will be upgrading their CDMA network beyond the current EVDO that it has now... GSM will be the network technology to progress to 4G as EVDO is already almost maxed out with 3G... Here's a good read on the topic: 4G Apple iPhone, Sprint EVO: Worth The Hype? (usa providers they talk about tho, but lots of general stuff about the vaqrious technologies)

I have no facts to back this up (other than the above link on general gsm vs cdma technologies), but that is my understanding of their future plans.

I hope they keep GSM as their primary new network as I travel a lot and like to swap in local sim cards for traveling
    Alberta Blue likes this.
    05-19-11 03:19 AM
    Of course Rogers is getting the 9900. Same for Telus & Bell. Look for Rogers to release before the other two

05-19-11 05:54 AM
    Of course Rogers is getting the 9900. Same for Telus & Bell. Look for Rogers to release before the other two

before August lol???

05-19-11 08:52 AM
    No it would not make sense, as they are trying to move away from their CDMA network. They didn't invest a ton of money into building an HSPA network for nothing.
    05-19-11 09:46 AM
    I took it with a complete grain of salt but an employee at Rogers who tried to give me the impression that he knew more than his rank indicated he should said that they would have it by mid July. I found the smallest grain of salt I could and took it with that.
    05-19-11 09:50 AM
    No it would not make sense, as they are trying to move away from their CDMA network. They didn't invest a ton of money into building an HSPA network for nothing.
    I am waiting for the release as well.. You are right on this... Telus/Bell us moving in to GSM systems so, there is a possibility they will invest more in this. Also, I Telus just introduced Canada's first "4G" (what is consider as 4G is questionable in technical world ) phone. LINK: Telus Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate 4G Smartphone - 3 Year Agreement : Telus Monthly Plan Phones - Best Buy Canada
    05-19-11 11:22 AM
    Tels/Bell WERE a cdma company. Now they are both cdma & gsm with GSM hspa being their primary new & best network. I don't think they will be upgrading their CDMA network beyond the current EVDO that it has now... GSM will be the network technology to progress to 4G as EVDO is already almost maxed out with 3G... Here's a good read on the topic: 4G Apple iPhone, Sprint EVO: Worth The Hype? (usa providers they talk about tho, but lots of general stuff about the vaqrious technologies)

I have no facts to back this up (other than the above link on general gsm vs cdma technologies), but that is my understanding of their future plans.

I hope they keep GSM as their primary new network as I travel a lot and like to swap in local sim cards for traveling

Bell and Telus are still using their CDMA technology for their non 3G devices. They do NOT sell GSM phones only. You will not be able to buy a GSM quadband phone from Bell or Telus because they do NOT support the GSM network. They have their "World Phones" that uses the bands 900 and 1800 for people travelling overseas. Those bands do not work in Canada. Their 3G network is the same as Rogers and Fido. But if you try and put a Bell or Telus sim card in a Curve 8900, it will not work in Canada.
    mssca likes this.
    05-19-11 11:38 AM

They are still using their CDMA network to fallback on. If their 3G network is down and you're using the 9900, you have nothing to fall back on because they do not have the GSM bands 850 and 1900 in Canada. Bell had a chance to switch to GSM many many years ago. They put aside $400,000 million but didn't do anything about it. When they added the 3G network and found out it would cost them over a billion to switch to GSM, so they decided not to.
    05-19-11 11:44 AM
    Bell and Telus are still using their CDMA technology for their non 3G devices. They do NOT sell GSM phones only. You will not be able to buy a GSM quadband phone from Bell or Telus because they do NOT support the GSM network. They have their "World Phones" that uses the bands 900 and 1800 for people travelling overseas. Those bands do not work in Canada. Their 3G network is the same as Rogers and Fido. But if you try and put a Bell or Telus sim card in a Curve 8900, it will not work in Canada.
    So... Rogers provide the best phones for people who wants to take the unlocked Blackberry to another country to use with a different SIM?
    05-19-11 12:04 PM
    So... Rogers provide the best phones for people who wants to take the unlocked Blackberry to another country to use with a different SIM?

Yes, Rogers and Fido does because of their GSM network. I think all their devices now have quadband GSM so it will work Globally if you can't pick up the 3G network in a certain country. Wind and Mobilicity are GSM providers as well, but I wouldn't switch to them now. They are still new and their 3G network is unstable. They are using Rogers's GSM towers though.
    Last edited by wirelessgal; 05-19-11 at 12:18 PM. Reason: More info added
    mssca likes this.
    05-19-11 12:17 PM
    Huh?

Bell sells the 9780 and it'a Quadband.
    About - BlackBerry Bold 9780 from Bell Mobility
    UMTS/HSPA 850/1900/2100
    GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900

I think your confusing the phone with the service.

Bell and Telus sells quad band phones. It's just Bell and Telus only use the 1900 (3G) spectrum as they do not have an alternative.

Rogers uses the 1900 (3G) AND 850 (EDGE).

My wife uses a Telus 9700 on Fido. She gets 3G and EDGE. We go down to Seattle and Portland with a T-Mobile sim and we still get 3G and EDGE.

Now if my wife was using the 9700 on Telus, she will only get 3G as Telus does not have the 850 band to support EDGE.
    Last edited by narci; 05-19-11 at 12:27 PM.
    05-19-11 12:24 PM
    wow a whole lot of wrong here.

EDIT: actually you both may be right, after second reading. just a weird way of explaining it.
    Last edited by barrist; 05-19-11 at 12:40 PM.
    05-19-11 12:36 PM
    Huh?

Bell sells the 9780 and it'a Quadband.
    About - BlackBerry Bold 9780 from Bell Mobility
    UMTS/HSPA 850/1900/2100
    GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900

I think your confusing the phone with the service.

Bell and Telus sells quad band phones. It's just Bell and Telus only use the 1900 (3G) spectrum as they do not have an alternative.

Rogers uses the 1900 (3G) AND 850 (EDGE).

My wife uses a Telus 9700 on Fido. She gets 3G and EDGE. We go down to Seattle and Portland with a T-Mobile sim and we still get 3G and EDGE.

Now if my wife was using the 9700 on Telus, she will only get 3G as Telus does not have the 850 band to support EDGE.

The 9780 is a GSM/3G device. I am talking about a GSM ONLY device. Go to a Bell or Telus store and see if you can buy a GSM ONLY device. They do not support the GSM bands.

Rogers uses 3G and EDGE on 850. The 1900 band is rarely used these days.

Exactly what you just said in your last comment. I didn't say a Telus 9700 won't work on the Rogers network. It will work on their 3G network, but NOT GSM.
    05-19-11 12:47 PM
    wow a whole lot of wrong here.

EDIT: actually you both may be right, after second reading. just a weird way of explaining it.

Care to explain why I am wrong?? I challenge anyone to get a Curve 8900, 8310 etc. to work on the Bell or Telus network. Heck, grab the iPhone 2G and try that on their network. It will NOT WORK. I am talking about GSM devices only. Don't grab a 9700 because that has 3G bands that will work on the Telus and Bell network.
    05-19-11 12:50 PM
    So if i buy the 9900 off Rogers, then put my Bell sim card inside, what do i expect?
    05-19-11 03:05 PM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD