Soon. A matter of months.
    Crucial do u see this device possibly being announced in May at was the Blackbbery World conference ?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-11 11:06 AM
    This device will NOT flop. No way no how. Once we get down the road a bit and you guys get more hw information, firmware info, see hands-on vid as well as in person, you'll see why I say it's definitely not going to flop.....
    I completely agree, C_X. If the leaked specs hold true (why wouldn't they), this will be a stellar device for RIM.

The real question is whether app developers will continue to, or hopefully expand, their support of the BB 6 platform. I'm not sure if BBM can continue to keep folks on BB by itself.
    01-22-11 11:33 AM
    Crucial do u see this device possibly being announced in May at was the Blackbbery World conference ?

Indeed... )
    01-22-11 12:50 PM
    This device will NOT flop. No way no how. Once we get down the road a bit and you guys get more hw information, firmware info, see hands-on vid as well as in person, you'll see why I say it's definitely not going to flop.....
    Great info, Crucial! Thanks!
    01-22-11 01:57 PM
    This reminds me of your joy for the 8900.

01-22-11 02:57 PM
    CX...is there going to be a CDMA version of the Dakota?
    01-22-11 03:18 PM
    This reminds me of your joy for the 8900.

Haha. Oh man the Javelin was a great little device in it's time. Was definitely a huge step up for the Curve line. I do remember being rather stoked about it. )
    01-22-11 08:43 PM
    Why you think it is a big flop?

01-23-11 01:05 AM
    Am I the only one who likes the form factor of the 9700 instead of the 9000? I don't care about the touch screen since I have an amazing trackpad with the phone and the screen seems pretty small.

I'll take this phone any day with the form factor of the 9700, but I will have to give this phone a try in my hands before I can really judge its form factor.
    01-23-11 01:58 AM
    Am I the only one who likes the form factor of the 9700 instead of the 9000? I don't care about the touch screen since I have an amazing trackpad with the phone and the screen seems pretty small.

I'll take this phone any day with the form factor of the 9700, but I will have to give this phone a try in my hands before I can really judge its form factor.
    Bolds are meant to be confident and powerful. That's exactly what the Dakota is going to bring. There's always the Sedona/Apollo if you don't want a touch-screen.

Personally, I want a bigger screen real-estate so will take a Torch instead, but this device looks amazing, and if I wasn't so fixated on getting a Torch (the whole idea of motion excites me), I would be getting this.
    01-23-11 02:44 AM
    I do love the form factor of 9700 as well. I would take this phone any day with the current form factor of the 9700.

Hope RIM brings this out in the 9700 form factor one day. Will give it a shot and test it out once this thing rolls out.

01-23-11 08:08 AM
    I do love the form factor of 9700 as well. I would take this phone any day with the current form factor of the 9700.

Hope RIM brings this out in the 9700 form factor one day. Will give it a shot and test it out once this thing rolls out.
    Dakota is not meant to replace the 9700, the 9780 just got launched not that long ago.

Dakota is replacing the bold 9000 and it will run parallel to 9780. Pick the one you want but don't knock the other as plenty people want it.

01-23-11 09:01 AM
    If the Dakota is done correctly, I have no doubt that this phone can turn things around for RIM. The original Bold 9000 was the last solidly built Blackberry. If the device is built solid, the specs are respectable, and quality control is vastly improved from recent devices, this device will not fail.
    01-23-11 09:28 AM
    Bolds are meant to be confident and powerful. That's exactly what the Dakota is going to bring. There's always the Sedona/Apollo if you don't want a touch-screen.

Personally, I want a bigger screen real-estate so will take a Torch instead, but this device looks amazing, and if I wasn't so fixated on getting a Torch (the whole idea of motion excites me), I would be getting this.
    Don't get me wrong the phone will be amazing, but my concern is if the size is like the 9000. I just think that its to big. And for the other phones I don't like them cause of the QWERTY keyboard, the bolds have the best IMO, plus I like high end phones from RIM.

I just need to try the phone in my hands to see how it will fit. If it fits nicely I will purchase this phone full price. I'm just not exactly sold on it just yet.

01-23-11 10:15 AM
    Don't get me wrong the phone will be amazing, but my concern is if the size is like the 9000. I just think that its to big.
    I disagree. I think the one thing that would have made the 9700 even better would have been a slightly wider form factor, more akin to the 9000. Of course, that's just a matter of personal preference. However, I can also see it helping with the touchscreen, even if adding the touchscreen is a silly idea in the first place.

I agree with a few others in this thread, though, in that this phone will be a hit with BlackBerry fans, but I don't see it being the device that makes Android users jump ship and come to RIM. The hardware specs leaking now for it are basically on par with a lot of current devices from other manufacturers, meaning that they'll be dated by the time these phones come out. I don't really know if RIM will be able to start converting people back to their team until they can get QNX on their phones.
    01-23-11 10:36 AM
    The concept of the device had been tried and liked by consumers. Palm, Motorola, Samsung to name a few have been successful with a hard, fixed keyboard and touchscreen. All RIM needs to do is back up the hardware with decent software and they will have a winner.
    01-23-11 10:50 AM
    I think the Dakota may even bring back a lot of people who deserted Blackberry when they started shrinking down their phones to the size of the 9700 - with its tiny keyboard.

The Bold 9000 was the best phone ever produced by RIM and certainly had the best keyboard of any smartphone on the market. In fact it still is the best keyboard.
    01-23-11 11:57 AM
    I think it's a good thing to use to tie me over until qnx hits next year. 9000 was always my fav bb, looking forward to trying it out soon.

01-23-11 12:56 PM
    I think it's a good thing to use to tie me over until qnx hits next year. 9000 was always my fav bb, looking forward to trying it out soon.

I can certainly say, after changing between 9700 to 9000 and back for a few weeks, the bigger screen on the 9000 made a huge difference in browsing and viewing documents.

01-23-11 01:23 PM
    The Bold 9000 was the best phone ever produced by RIM and certainly had the best keyboard of any smartphone on the market. In fact it still is the best keyboard.
    I think the bolds have the best keyboard. I hate the curves/torchs keyboard.

01-23-11 01:40 PM
    Luckily I won't have to choose for another year. If the time comes and this and the Torch 2 are both a reality, I think I'd be leaning more toward the Dakota, especially since I plan to have a PlayBook by then to handle most of my mobile browsing needs. Now if they come out with a Torch-like device with a horizontal slider...

01-23-11 02:27 PM
    I think the Dakota may even bring back a lot of people who deserted Blackberry when they started shrinking down their phones to the size of the 9700 - with its tiny keyboard.
    People didn't start deserting BB because the devices started getting smaller. People started deserting BB because the phones don't match up feature-wise to what other manufacturers offer. This phone will be very popular with current BB users, but it isn't going to attract people from Android or the iPhone.
    01-23-11 04:04 PM
    People didn't start deserting BB because the devices started getting smaller. People started deserting BB because the phones don't match up feature-wise to what other manufacturers offer. This phone will be very popular with current BB users, but it isn't going to attract people from Android or the iPhone.
    Some will return because of the size factor and better specs regardless of the other devices. Will everyone? Of course not, but, this device will pick up new customers along with defectors, and numerous members/newbies that want it......just because it is new. I'm still looking at the Atrix and/ or the Torch 2. If 6.1 is any good, I may get the Atrix/Dakota and sit back until QNX is on the SuperPhones. Not feeling the hype for the Playbook .....right now. But, I'll get my wife one if she still wants it.

01-23-11 07:08 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD