Do you think the dakota will be a big flop or will rim actually make a new phone with a big change? Will this bring people back to blackberries?

I left blackberry for android and I don't think any blackberry phone will make me go back just want to see what people think of this new phone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-11 08:00 AM
    they should have had this out last year imo to be ahead of the competition. but then again if people are willing to give up bbm and physical keyboard, then no this phone will not hold them back. i dont understand why they added touch screen on the phone, i perfer no touch screen and trackpad only.
    01-19-11 08:13 AM
    I think we are all waiting for a hardware review if it does live.

I hope it doesn't flop, but won't know until we see a video or more pictures and a good review.

01-19-11 08:16 AM
    I do not think this will flop at all. It should do very well in fact.

It may satisfy those who want a touchscreen with a keyboard but do not want to have a slider type device and arent particularly bothered about having a large screen.

On this device you will have the touchscreen and menu buttons so the touch is probably optional or minimal therefore then it may also satisfy those who love the 9000 form factor but do not particulary want a touchscreen device.

It may have a broader appeal this way yet it was always a popular device from the outset.

It is my next BB
    01-19-11 08:31 AM
    Do you think the dakota will be a big flop or will rim actually make a new phone with a big change? Will this bring people back to blackberries?

I don't think that it will flop, but I also don't think that it will bring people back to blackberry either.
    01-19-11 09:30 AM
    I, like many BOLD owners, wanted the BOLD with upgraded features and hardware. Lol. I "traded" my iPhone 3GS(used w/case) for a new 9700. So, I adapted to the Onyx. Then, the Torch dropped. I love the device. Could/should it have been better? At this point does it really matter? Anyway, I'm satisfied....for now. Will I get it? I'm undecided and the hype doesn't make me want it anymore or less. All the hype/ excitement is cool.......as long as the device lives up to it.
    01-19-11 10:15 AM
    This is the device my husband had been dreaming about. He will definitely buy it. I plan on getting one too.
    The Bold was too big for my hands the first go around, so we'll see how this one does for me.
    01-19-11 11:10 AM
    I actually wanted this when I first saw the specs for it a couple of months ago but now that all these brand new better phone are coming out I'm not so much interested in blackberries anymore. I loved the 9000 form factor but this is outdated... I think it need to have apps and a browser that's more fluent

01-19-11 11:16 AM
    I'm not much of an app person. I want to communicate and help me be more efficient. I have some banking apps, some navigation apps, news, Poynt....I can do the rest myself. The other day I saw a grocery shopping app....had to laugh on that.
    01-19-11 11:26 AM
    @Qbnkelt. Lol. Yah, I saw one and asked my wife if she wanted it for her Torch. She pulled out her pad/pen and laughed too.

Will it Succeed?
    I honestly want this device (and the others) to be a success. I think it will - whether some of us go back to it or not. Especially when/after it launches outside the US to the other carriers.

@OP. I'm not directing this at you. Just a general statement about the threads that are being posted on here lately. Everyday it's a battlezone on here after someone provides yet another "RIM is Dead" point of view thread and less about why the site was started first and foremost...... "CrackBerries".
    01-19-11 11:56 AM
    i really dont see the point of making a screen that small touch.

id prefer non touch.

tried touchscreens, dont like them.
    01-19-11 03:06 PM
    This is the BlackBerry that I have been waiting for. The Bold 9000, in my opinion, was the best BB released.

I admit that I went to the darkside and got an iPhone 4, but switched back to my 9000. Did I say that it's the best BB ever?

I have since purchased the Torch and while I think it's a great device, I want the Dakota.

Will this satisfy everyone and bring some back from Droids and iPhones? Who knows, each user must decide what device is right for them.

All I know is that The Dakota, with the 9000 form factor, touch screen and track pad...is a device I'll pay full price for.

01-19-11 06:57 PM
    I don't think it will flop, but also don't see it bringing a lot of former BB fans back.

To each their own...me, I can't wait for this phone!

01-19-11 07:42 PM
    i really dont see the point of making a screen that small touch.

id prefer non touch.

tried touchscreens, dont like them.
    I see your point, but this won't have a virtual keyboard. Its really there to make selection of where to input text faster, and to navigate pages quicker. I like that the option is there, as I think many on here do. The size of the screen seems perfect for what it is supposed to do.

To the OP... I don't think it will flop. This is the "Dreamberry" for many of us. Without any new customers getting this, I think so many BB loyalists would, that it would still be ok.

I expect it to be one of RIM's all-time best sellers, given it runs smooth, and is reliable.

01-19-11 09:18 PM

I left blackberry for android and I don't think any blackberry phone will make me go back just want to see what people think of this new phone

IMO this will be best selling BB for a longtime..BB fans are crazy about 9000 form factor and infact it will bring back a lot of old timers like my boss who switched to iPhone last year
    01-19-11 10:19 PM

How can this flop? It is bringing the best assets from RIM and putting them in one phone.

The majority of people say BB has such small keys (which is true if you look at the recent Bolds and Torch)

But this brings the robust keyboard of the 9000

OS6 of the Torch

quick scrolling ability of the Storm (without surepress)

and the track pad of the bold

Plus more features

IF this phone, flops, then Rim falls apart with it. This literally is a phone that has no punches pulled. It seemingly will excel in all areas except as a full touch screen phone.
    01-19-11 10:38 PM
    I dont think there is any way this phone will flop. Blackberry has a lot more fans than people think. I know many people who have switched to android and came right back. After the first week the Android new wears off and its just a battery sucking toy. Some people love them but its not for everyone. Its very obvious that there are still a ton of people who do not want 5 inch touch screen monster sized devices. I laugh at the comments of people who say RIM doesnt know what they are doing as far as market research, or they are out of touch with what consumers want. Really? If that is the case they why is the Blackberry Style Sprints best selling smartphone, even over the EVO and the EPIC 4G!
    01-19-11 10:40 PM
    IMO this will be best selling BB for a longtime..BB fans are crazy about 9000 form factor and infact it will bring back a lot of old timers like my boss who switched to iPhone last year
    I disagree. People wanted this device a year ago. There's nothing innovative about it, and by the time it gets released (I'm guessing 3Q or 4Q) it will be outdated. As far as we know it wont me LTE capable and I don't see too many non-BB users (and also many BB users) buying a phone late in 2011 under contract that doesn't have LTE. It'll do well among hard core BB users, but it's insane to think that this device is going to attract iPhone and Android users.
    01-19-11 10:43 PM
    Really? If that is the case they why is the Blackberry Style Sprints best selling smartphone, even over the EVO and the EPIC 4G!
    No offense, but are you effin high?!?! Best selling smartphone for Sprint is the BB Style?!?! That's hard to believe
    01-19-11 11:21 PM
    Name one blackberry model that ever flopped, they all sell in reasonable numbers as they each their own target audience, even the Storm1 and Storm2.

01-20-11 05:23 AM
    This device will NOT flop. No way no how. Once we get down the road a bit and you guys get more hw information, firmware info, see hands-on vid as well as in person, you'll see why I say it's definitely not going to flop.....
    01-20-11 11:09 AM
    I can't imagine it flopping either. Really can't wait to see this one!!! Sure hope it will come to T-Mobile soon!
    01-20-11 11:21 AM
    i cant possibly imagine this phone flopping. it wont be as popular as the iphone, but 1) that wouldnt make the dakota a flop and 2) not many phones out there are as popular as that pos iphone and 3) (and more importantly) its the ultimate BB that many dedicated fans have been dying for (even if it had a crap processor). the mere blending of a touch screen and keyboard in the bold form factor would be AMAZING.
    01-22-11 02:22 AM
    This device will NOT flop. No way no how. Once we get down the road a bit and you guys get more hw information, firmware info, see hands-on vid as well as in person, you'll see why I say it's definitely not going to flop.....
    any eta on those things happening?
    01-22-11 06:07 AM
    any eta on those things happening?
    Soon. A matter of months.
    01-22-11 08:08 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD