Whoops, mjw100, looks like you quoted my post as I was editing it.

Removed the "crackberry" line in the edit, but my post /was/ from my 9780, which seems to be working fine now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-11 12:50 AM
    On the plus side for the 9900 you get HSPA+ 14.4 4M!
    08-14-11 01:10 AM
    Yes, but is the 99xx a step up from the 9780 /phone only/? Or, is it indeed a step up from the 9780 + Otterbox + 32g sd + spare battery + skull candy headphones + screen protector + bluetooth headset that $500 would buy?

My answer is "no." YMMV.
    It's foolish to spend money on accessorizing an old device instead of buying a new one. You almost always get the most value from a stock product. Might as well put the money into the latest.

08-14-11 01:54 AM
    It's foolish to spend money on accessorizing an old device instead of buying a new one. You almost always get the most value from a stock product. Might as well put the money into the latest.
    "Foolish" how?
    "Most value" how?

When you accept -- wholly, consciously, subconsciously accept -- that money is finite, the meaning of "value" becomes clear -- but not universal, of course.

I'm a cyclist, so I might value a spare battery more than you would.

I drive a vintage automobile, so I might value a noise-filtering headset more than you would.

I travel to and work in remote areas, so I might value a large memory card more than you would.

"New" costs. Some of the price difference of a new model is for the improvements, and some of it is simply for the "new." You might value "new" more than I do.

"Yeah, but you could get those things for a new phone, too" desregards the certain, scientific FACT that money is finite.

How many times have you seen a guy in a Cadillac with a cracked windshield and bald tires? /That/ seems foolish to me.

08-14-11 09:42 AM
    Tried this thread once, but mistook my model number. I have a 9780 that needs to be replaced. I like my "baby bold"'s size and have never felt it to be underpowed for my purposes, but having to replace the keyboard membrane is a real turnoff.

Is the 9900 worth three times the price?

Yes the 9900 is the better buy.
    08-14-11 09:46 AM
    Tough question really. If you are eligable for an upgrade, I would think you could get a 9900 for about the same price as a 9780. I say that becuase I have only seen the 9780's being sold unlocked for a round 400 and used on ebay for about 250-300.

As far as the phones go, I should have one to play with on Tuesday. From what I reading, the step up could be overshadowed by your fondness for the current form factor.
    08-14-11 09:52 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD