Now before getting the 9900, I had like to know which is the best and safest way to do an OS upgrade? Unlike my 9780, I used to backup my device first via Desktop Software, delete the whole OS using BBSAK, install a fresh new OS using the javaloader thingy (in the Apploader > Common Files > Research In Motion folder) and finally backup my device using Desktop Software. Is this the best way to do a fresh clean install of an OS? I used to do in that way for my 9780 and everything got messed up during my last upgrade. Or it is just better to do an upgrade by using the Desktop Software since it is a feature that upgrades your device automatically?
    09-04-11 02:13 PM
    I always wipe it first so that I'm assured of not having any lingering conflicts or corruption. Others will say that you don't have to and never have had any issues.

If you mess up just wipe it again and it should be fine. I never use DM only because I like to wipe it first and use the apploader to install the new OS. I also had issues during an upgrade with the DM which is another reason I just use the apploader.

I also shrink out the garbage using BBH Tools although arguably now with more memory it shouldn't be necessary.
    09-04-11 02:22 PM
    It seems a fresh install and adding stuff manually has been preferred to many people when upgrading to these OS 7 devices
    09-04-11 02:26 PM
    It seems re adding stuff manually has been prefered by a lot of people
    as a lot have had issues when restoring phone settings etc.. I had issues myself when setting up my 9900 when restoring, so did everything from scratch and finally
    it got sorted out for me.
    09-04-11 02:28 PM
    wipe first with BBSAK then install then restore backup manually

upgrading with DM causes many bugs and the first one is that your application list will be empty if you upgrade to a new OS. IF you wipe and restore, the application list will be working fine. thats just one of the issue
    s
    the second issues if you upgrade normally, i had a hard time setting up my email it would alsways ask me to enter an enterprise password

wiped then resintalled and now its fine
    09-04-11 02:58 PM
    And how do you guys intend to backup and restore your device? Do you usually do it using BBSAK, Deskstop Software or what?
    09-04-11 03:30 PM
    I like using the new DM 7 beta. Works for me.
    09-04-11 03:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD