Quick question. I'm planning on getting a SanDisk 32GB Micro SDHC memory card. I was just wondering what Class would be best for the 9900. Since the 9900 will be HD, I was informed that Class 4 would do great. Input, please. Thanks in advance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-30-11 09:52 AM
    Class 4 would be fine

*End of thread. Close it*

07-30-11 09:58 AM
    Thank you. Admin, please close this thread.

07-30-11 09:59 AM
    I've got a question, what all do you ut on your phone that will require 32gb worth of storage? Out of curiosity...
    07-30-11 10:22 AM
    Movies, music, pictures, and possibly documents.

Last edited by BigBadWulf; 07-30-11 at 10:58 AM. Reason: troll bait
    07-30-11 10:26 AM
    The gratuitous comments need to cease.

I'm not sure class speed would make any differnce in the phone, it hasn't up till now (though on this new gen it might), but depending on your USB port speed on your PC, would make a world of difference using a reader.
    07-30-11 11:04 AM
    Movies, music, pictures, and possibly documents.

What do you use to re-code the DVD files onto your PC and what do you use to convert those files into a format that will work on the Berry?
    07-30-11 12:07 PM
    This is what I use ADATA 16GB Class 6 Micro SDHC Flash Card . I think I payed around $50 two years ago for this one which was a pretty good deal then. This is a great card.
    07-30-11 12:10 PM
    What do you use to re-code the DVD files onto your PC and what do you use to convert those files into a format that will work on the Berry?
    I've found Format Factory works best for me.
    07-30-11 12:10 PM
    The gratuitous comments need to cease.

I'm not sure class speed would make any differnce in the phone, it hasn't up till now (though on this new gen it might), but depending on your USB port speed on your PC, would make a world of difference using a reader.
    I had the normal SD that came with the phone and I just recently got an 8GB class 6.. Needless to say, It seems to load up faster on my phone when you go to pictures etc. So I'm not entirely sure about that? Maybe someone has done a test somewhere on the internet. Cookie for whoever finds it!

And are we going to have to do this with the Bold 9900/30? or will that support many more normal video formats?
    07-30-11 01:10 PM
    I had the normal SD that came with the phone and I just recently got an 8GB class 6.. Needless to say, It seems to load up faster on my phone when you go to pictures etc. So I'm not entirely sure about that? Maybe someone has done a test somewhere on the internet. Cookie for whoever finds it!
    I can't find any specs on the SD bus speed for the new phones, so for now seat of the pants will have to work. Couple questions:

What class is the original card?
    Did you transfer exactly the same file content card to card?
    Did you clear the Content Store and delete all dat files testing each cards speed?

Purely speculation, but while I could see a 2 to 4 class speed jump internally supported by the newphones, I doubt they upped the bus speed enough for a class 6 to make a difference. That said, if I were using most of 32GB on my card, I'd want a class 6 for PC transfers alone.

And are we going to have to do this with the Bold 9900/30? or will that support many more normal video formats?
    Format Factory is used on your PC, and supports conversion from/to almost anything you wish.
    07-30-11 01:48 PM
    Thanks man! I've never heard of that one.

I've been using DVD Fab or DVD Shrink but have not been able to get something that works after it's converted. I'll try it out.
    07-30-11 01:55 PM
    Thanks man! I've never heard of that one.

I've been using DVD Fab or DVD Shrink but have not been able to get something that works after it's converted. I'll try it out.
    Another extremely effective tool, though I don't know how useful for the application you mentioned is RealPlayer SP - Download
    07-30-11 02:01 PM
    I'm just adding a Sandisk microSDHC 8GB card in my 9930, it'll already have 8GB internal, so for me a total of 16GB will be plenty if I'm just using it primarily for mp3's or pics...not really gonna have too many videos on it. So I should be fine with that, right?

07-30-11 02:46 PM
    Wow! That IS a nice piece of software. Thanks for the info.

Will come in handy in several situations.
    BrassFace likes this.
    07-30-11 03:25 PM
    I can't find any specs on the SD bus speed for the new phones, so for now seat of the pants will have to work. Couple questions:

What class is the original card?
    Did you transfer exactly the same file content card to card?
    Did you clear the Content Store and delete all dat files testing each cards speed?

Purely speculation, but while I could see a 2 to 4 class speed jump internally supported by the newphones, I doubt they upped the bus speed enough for a class 6 to make a difference. That said, if I were using most of 32GB on my card, I'd want a class 6 for PC transfers alone.

Format Factory is used on your PC, and supports conversion from/to almost anything you wish.
    It was the 2GB micro SD that came with my Bold 9650.. It literally says Micro SD 2GB on the card and that's all. It mentions no class or anything.

And I wasn't transferring, I am talking about merely going into my photo album, the pictures loaded faster on my phone to view when I switched cards.. I did not test it under a magnifying glass as the speed difference was night and day.
    07-30-11 03:31 PM
    I'm just adding a Sandisk microSDHC 8GB card in my 9930, it'll already have 8GB internal, so for me a total of 16GB will be plenty if I'm just using it primarily for mp3's or pics...not really gonna have too many videos on it. So I should be fine with that, right?

Screw sandisk, I'v always bought kingston and the second I bought an 8GB sandisk micro SD, it randomly got fried after 4 months of use. I probably just got unlucky, but it kinda ruined sandisk for me. Anyways, screw the brand name.. You cant beat this price for this 16GB CLASS 6: Newegg.com - ADATA 16GB Class 6 Micro SDHC Flash Card with SD adaptor Model AUSDH16GCL6-RA1

You will be paying the same for an 8GB Sandisk micro sd.. You pay like twice as much as the card is worth just because of the name they put on it. I would recommend that one as it has nice reviews. I currently have an 8gb Transcent Class 6 in my phone right now and it works great. Cost me about $25 because I couldn't find any other cheap Class 6 16gb's.. Wish that the above link was that price when I was looking.
    07-30-11 03:35 PM
    It was the 2GB micro SD that came with my Bold 9650.. It literally says Micro SD 2GB on the card and that's all. It mentions no class or anything.

And I wasn't transferring, I am talking about merely going into my photo album, the pictures loaded faster on my phone to view when I switched cards.. I did not test it under a magnifying glass as the speed difference was night and day.
    The 9650 came with a class2, so obviously the bus speed has improved. Question of how much still remains.

You misunderstood my question. You had to transfer the files from your old SD to the new one. I was curious of the method and testing, so we might be able to shed more light on what improvement you experienced, and how it resulted.

My pleasure passing on Format Factory ya'll. I've used that program for years, and love it. Converts arm voice notes to mp3 too.
    07-30-11 03:46 PM
    The 9650 came with a class2, so obviously the bus speed has improved. Question of how much still remains.

You misunderstood my question. You had to transfer the files from your old SD to the new one. I was curious of the method and testing, so we might be able to shed more light on what improvement you experienced, and how it resulted.

My pleasure passing on Format Factory ya'll. I've used that program for years, and love it. Converts arm voice notes to mp3 too.
    I did not transfer my files over.. I used it as a clean memory card.. The only thing I noticed was the pictures loaded much faster is what I am saying.
    07-30-11 05:00 PM
    I did not transfer my files over.. I used it as a clean memory card.. The only thing I noticed was the pictures loaded much faster is what I am saying.
    You have to give us some details to go on. I have over 5,000 pictured on my SD, along with G_d knows how many files of various types. Were I to take it out, and put a class2 in then take a picture, I'm positive it would open much faster than mine do now. Not trying to pick on you, but there has to be a scientific approach to this, for the opinion to be meaningful.
    07-30-11 05:29 PM
    You have to give us some details to go on. I have over 5,000 pictured on my SD, along with G_d knows how many files of various types. Were I to take it out, and put a class2 in then take a picture, I'm positive it would open much faster than mine do now. Not trying to pick on you, but there has to be a scientific approach to this, for the opinion to be meaningful.
    I have about 200 pictures, I transferred the picture over on the computer and little other things such as my backup for shortcutme etc. Little files.. I did not transfer my entire memory card, only tiny things.

I had the same amount of pictures before and after and I am saying the same amount of pictures loaded up noticeably faster because I used to have to wait a decent amount of time for my 200 or so pictures to pop up on my phone from my old memory card. I have no idea of how much faster or anything.. All I know is that there is something noticeable going from a class 2 to a class 6.. That's all I can say from what I did really.
    07-30-11 08:59 PM
    I would suggest Class 6 for the simple reason I haven't seen any decent brands in the Class 4 arena. I got a nice Lexar 16GB Class 6 for $20 more than enough but fast enough for the HD video and camera. Don't waste your money on Class 10.
    07-30-11 10:13 PM
    Only things you'd really utilize higher than a class 6 would be in a DSLR shooting RAW in continuous mode. Class 6 is plenty for HD video recording and data transfers with a phone.

Also how the cards are classed are based on how fast they can transfer and write data.
    07-31-11 01:34 AM
    So if I'm primarily using my Bold 9930 for just music(mp3's) and pics and the occational video, what would you recommend, I see Best Buy has a Kingston 16GB micro SDHC class 4 for $29.99 and Walmart has Wintec Filemate 16GB Micro SDHC class 4 for $23.00. Would one of those be enough for my Bold 9930?

07-31-11 08:23 AM
    16GB is plenty of space, unless you want to carry your entire music library with you. I'm constantly sharing/downloading music, and what I do is weekly remove what I built up onto my PC, and starting over. Here's my 8GB now:

07-31-11 10:01 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD